Thread: Cleaning a playmat

Drinks to much coke
    Aug 2010
    London Ontario

Cleaning a playmat

Anyone know if you can wash a playmat in the laundry machine.

Re: Cleaning a playmat

Terrible idea. Unless it's specifically made to be machine washable, you'll do some combination of:

- Separate the front from the rubber
    - Wear the edges of the front
    - Fade or destroy the printing on the front
    - Destroy the rubber
    - etc

I'd start with a damp cloth, maybe with some mild dish detergent if it's bad.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

depends on what the top material is made of and how its printed. I took my plain black one to a dry cleaner and she charged me $10 to clean it and to re attach part of the fabric to the rubber where I pick at it when I am nervous and had pulled it loose.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Feb 2010
    Houston,texas

Sandpaper and cat urine. Ammonia + abrasive circular motion. It works nevery time.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Depends on what's on the playmat and how much you care about it.

I own a Source playmat and a regular black playmat, and I have no problem putting the latter in the laundry. I also use the random GP playmats as large mousepads and it's been fine.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

water+soap+brush

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Terrible idea. Unless it's specifically made to be machine washable, you'll do some combination of:

- Destroy the rubber
    - etc

I'd start with a damp cloth, maybe with some mild dish detergent if it's bad.
    This.

When its so bad above isnt enough its time to buy new one. Though if you spent $100+ on a playmat I can understand wanting to try just putting in a washing machine.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sun View Post
    Depends on what's on the playmat and how much you care about it.

I own a Source playmat
    Mine's getting all dusty, and I sure as hell don't want to ruin my source mat. I fear any sort of water/soup will distort it. Irrational? Probably.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Attractive and Successful
    Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

Remember: dyes bleed and fade in hot water. Fabrics soften in hot water. Things remain colorfast but stiff in cold water. I'd suggest gentle hand washing in your kitchen sink with something like Woolite, which is formulated for use with cold water. Use cold water, minimal agitation, long soaking, and a gentle rinse and dry.

I'd imagine that since Sharpies are waterfast, you won't have any bleeding from signatures, either.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post

- Destroy the rubber
    - etc

I'd start with a damp
    lingerie cloth, maybe with some mild dish detergent if it's bad.
    it seems very terrible idea. It will only cause damage to playmat and washing machine. I am saying these rough words with my own personal experience
    Last edited by MarcoBriggs; 05-09-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Hero
    Apr 2012
    Vienna, AUT

Quote Originally Posted by Oiolosse View Post
    Sandpaper and cat urine. Ammonia + abrasive circular motion. It works nevery time.
    what the f... is wrong with you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by lsho View Post
    what the f... is wrong with you? :D
    You fail to realize he is merely trolling and being sarcastic

Hero
    Apr 2012
    Vienna, AUT

Quote Originally Posted by SBGpinas View Post
    You fail to realize he is merely trolling and being sarcastic
    ... of course I got that, hence the laughing smilie at the end of my sentence hehe.
    I just wanted to stress the point that his answer was awesome by "going with the flow".

:)

Mar 2011
    Boston, MA

I spilled coffee on one of mine (my beautiful goblin platypus egg heist GP Columbus mat ) and I was told they're pretty much all machine washable.
    T: @feingersh

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I just washed one of my playmats for the first time. It was a clean it or trash it situation, so I figured what's the harm!

I used Dawn dish liquid - not because I thought it'd be good, because it's what I had at hand.

A little water and a little soap, and then just kinda softly knead the fabric portion of the mat against itself. I repeated three times until it looked relatively good and then rinsed. To dry, I laid it flat in the sun for a couple hours.

It doesn't look new, but it also doesn't look nearly as destroyed as it did before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

It is generally not recommended to wash a playmat in a washing machine, as it can damage the mat and cause the colors to fade or bleed. Instead, it is best to clean a playmat by hand using a mild detergent and warm water. Gently scrub the surface of the mat with a soft brush or cloth, then rinse thoroughly and allow it to air dry. If the mat is particularly dirty or stained, you can try using a stain remover specifically designed for fabrics, but be sure to spot test a small area first to make sure it won't damage the mat.

drive mad

Thread Information