Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: Threat Value

Exceptionally well thought out article! Very well done!

I really enjoy this game of bluffing and double bluffing (I always have to think about the wine-in-front-of-me-principle) - yet you have to be aware of the fact, that those games only happen at the upper tables at any given tournament. I had quite some situations where I put my opponent on a higher level than they actually were - which lead to unnecessary drawbacks, and once an utterly humiliating loss. Like cracking the Fetchland prior to setting up Terminus made me frown a bit. Because... yes, bad players are going to shoot all their Stifles at your Fetchlands, while advanced Tempo-pilots will know when all hope of manascrewing Miracles is gone, and keep those Stifles for Miracle triggers or other vital moments just as Stifling the Fetchland that would enable the Miracle player to fight over a counter which targets a Win-Condition or anything. You get me? So... I think it's very important to differ between "Noobs", where you probably shouldn't think too much, just play mechanically well and you should win. "Normal Players" - where you should probably add one level of bluffing to your game and the uplifting games when you face someone your caliber, where you play a game inside a game.

Anyways, great read.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Great article, I definitely appreciate your more recent approach to (Legacy) fundamentals rather than just decks, decks, decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    I think it's very important to differ between "Noobs", where you probably shouldn't think too much, just play mechanically well and you should win. "Normal Players" - where you should probably add one level of bluffing to your game and the uplifting games when you face someone your caliber, where you play a game inside a game.
    Along these lines, I'd be interested to read an article on evaluating Legacy players' skill level. Sometimes it isn't always apparent how good your opponent is; they might not be making any overt misplays, but perhaps there are nuances that you can watch for? For example, better Miracles players will activate the "look" ability of Top, holding priority before cracking a fetch land. Also, the consistency with which a player represents some spell (REB, Stifle, Spell Pierce, etc) might give insight. For example, does your RUG opponent appear to represent Stifle on turn 1 then immediately give up and tap out on turn 2? Maybe they actually have the Stifle and maybe they don't, but they've now told you that representing spells isn't necessarily something that they are thinking about.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Kudos Carsten. This is an excellent article about the implicit valuation of information available to players. I continue to hope you will put this series into a book, so that I may purchase it.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

@Einherjer: definitely a good point. If your opponent just isn't fully in the game (or good enough) a lot of these mental game techniques lose a lot of value, sadly. Utterly adore them, too ;)

@Dzra: that's quite the subject you suggest there (and start off with ;) ), not sure if I feel actually qualified to write that article. Much appreciated, definitely an excellent article idea.

@Koby: Thanks! :) I'd like to write that book/article collection, honestly. Will happen at some (as yet undetermined) point in the future. If I don't sell at least one copy, I'll know you were just flattering me then ;)
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Non-basic lands are Mountains
    Apr 2011

Great article like always.
    Sometimes I wonder why they are still free, not that I am complaining. :)

To add on the information bit, I totally agree with you that Vendilion Clique and Gitaxian Probe are very potent cards in legacy.
    Playing Clique in Miracles in combination of being known for having maindeck Redblasts is a real force, because you can bluff and unmask your opponent in good fashion.
    True strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me! -Kamahl, Pit Fighter

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Ment to write sooner. Awesome one!

Enviado de meu GT-S6313T usando Tapatalk
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Quote Originally Posted by Mon,Goblin Chief View Post
    @Koby: Thanks! :) I'd like to write that book/article collection, honestly. Will happen at some (as yet undetermined) point in the future. If I don't sell at least one copy, I'll know you were just flattering me then ;)
    Add me to the list of people who would love to read a collection! I've enjoyed your articles over the years, even if the feedback was silent.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Plague Sliver View Post
    Add me to the list of people who would love to read a collection! I've enjoyed your articles over the years, even if the feedback was silent.
    Couldn't have said it better. Best Magic writer on the internet as far as I'm concerned.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Great article - I think there isn't much else that defines the difference between Standard and Legacy more than the ways that Threat Value reflect and impact strategic choices. Turn 1 Scry Land go is such a world of difference from T1 Volcanic->Ponder.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Thread Information