Thread: Bant Prison

Sep 2011

Bant Prison

This deck is aimed at capitalizing on some of the new card releases while also trying to hate out key cards in the meta. This is enchantment-based prison, but not Enchantress. Unlike artifact-based prison, you have a much easier time supporting cards like Chrome Mox and Force of Will.

This is a rough attempt and can hopefully be tuned to be much better.

//spells: 4
    4 Kruphix's Insight

//enchantment: 20
    4 Enchantress' Presence
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Propaganda
    2 Moat
    2 Solitary Confinement
    2 Oblivion Ring
    1 Reality Acid
    2 Parallax Tide
    3 Riptide Chimera

//other permanents: 12
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Mana: 24
    4 Chrome Mox
    1 Serra's Sanctum
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Savannah
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Tundra

//Sideboard: 15
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Helm of Obedience
    2 Supreme Verdict
    1 Rhystic Study
    2 Aura of Silence
    1 Solitary Confinement
    4 Leyline of Sanctity

//Other cards to consider:
    Detention Sphere
    Venser, the Sojourner
    Eidolon of Rhetoric
    City of Solitude
    Sacred Ground
    Karmic Justice
    Mystic Remora
    Kiora, the Crashing Wave
    Spreading Seas
    Sterling Grove
    Thassa, God of the Sea
    Heliod, God of the Sun

You're basically always playing the control role and then try to win with Jace ultimate, Confinement lock, Chimera beats or Helm-RiP. A lot of your cards hate out common meta strategies. Chalice/3sphere punish spell-heavy land-light combo and tempo decks. Propaganda/Confinement/Moat make it hard to win with creatures, regardless of whether they have protection from everything and how many equipment they are wearing. RiP maindeck weakens Goyfs, Mongeese, DRS, Lingering Souls not to mention actual GY strategies. Leyline hinders burn, discard and combo. Show and Tell gets pretty funny when you have O-Ring/Confinement to drop, although maybe some other creature hate (but not Humility since that is bad with Chimera) would be good.

Most decks that lead off with T1 Chalice/3sphere lose because they are inconsistent and run out of gas. This deck tries to follow that up with one of 3 sources of major card advantage in the deck:
    Enchantress' Presence
    Kruphix's Insight
    Jace TMS

Ideally, those should help smooth your draws into more interactivity. Chalice and 3Ball control the stack. Your enchantments control the board.

Chimera has some cool interactions with Reality Acid, Solitary Confinement, and Parallax Tide. If you want to build around Chimera interactions, Venser seems really good MD, blinking Parallax Tides and Reality Acids and Spreading Seas all day for mad profit.

Alternate win conditions could include Kiora ultimate or God beatdown. Thassa is cheap, smooths your draws and could be a decent win condition.

Alternate protection pieces could include City of Solitude (to shut down counterspells), Eidolon of Rhetoric (to force them to play 1 card a turn like you and hate out storm while getting to attack back with a body), Sterling Grove (to protect your stuff from bounce/Abrupt Decay and tutor).

Thoughts/suggestions/better directions?

Sep 2011

Re: Bant Prison

No interest in prison? No one likes finishing rounds 1-0-1 and missing lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    No interest in prison? No one likes finishing rounds 1-0-1 and missing lunch?
    I always got out early with my prison builds, but I've had... I dunno, 5+ years experience not running Brainstorm.

I think Zur = Teh Win here. Reality Acid + the Chimera seems like a sweet setup, and Zur snags both. Kruphix is good, but it's also 3 mana that doesn't give you tempo. I think Replenish is just straight up better.
    And O-Ring + Chimera seem bad, just bad. But it's worth a shot, and I'd run FoW over 3-Sphere, just given my own personal experience with 3-Sphere, even in builds where I ran Crucible + Waste I wanted the Force much more.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    I always got out early with my prison builds, but I've had... I dunno, 5+ years experience not running Brainstorm.

I think Zur = Teh Win here. Reality Acid + the Chimera seems like a sweet setup, and Zur snags both. Kruphix is good, but it's also 3 mana that doesn't give you tempo. I think Replenish is just straight up better.
    And O-Ring + Chimera seem bad, just bad. But it's worth a shot, and I'd run FoW over 3-Sphere, just given my own personal experience with 3-Sphere, even in builds where I ran Crucible + Waste I wanted the Force much more.
    Chimera doesn't have to bounce O-Ring. It can bounce itself if you have NOTHING else but it and O-Ring, which kind of sucks but is usually better than returning whatever O-Ring had removed. O-Ring is there because it's less conditional than Reality Acid, probably a necessary evil.

Force is probably a good idea. Need to run more blue enchantments then.

Just some other notes from having run various prison strategies:

Tombs + City of Traitors = really rough manabase. There's a reason prison strategies tend to run a lot of artifacts, namely, that you need to have a play for when you don't have colored mana. Which, realistically, does happen, even not counting Wasteland. 3 colors seems really hard to foot with Tombs and Cities.

Even 2 Colors is hard. Generally, I think 1 with a splash is doable, because that'll make your Chrome imprints in your color fairly reasonably. Then you can add those as sources of that color, get up to the 12-13 min you need to run a color.

I keep seeing this kind of deck running Brainstorm and StoPs and Zur, still. That's just how I'm seeing it. I won't even say Zur is all that good in the meta right now either. The Dual+Fetchland manabase would allow you to run 3 colors, if you really needed to. If you want the Tombs, maybe just cut to Blue, splash something for Abyss, tee hee.

And also, Propaganda doesn't protect Jace or other PW'ers.
    I think it's really rough right now, but that's not to say you won't have a good rogue deck at the end of all of this.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Feb 2007
    San Diego

Prison strategies are worthless without the tabernacle at pendrell vale, and even then they sometimes don't work.

Thread Information