Thread: Black 1-drops with a vengeance

Re: Black 1-drops with a vengeance

Since this appears to be a sligh type deck, I recommend including Dark Ritual to accelerate the early pressure.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Wasn't there a similar list on the Eva Green thread awhile back?

I like Putrid Imp (also a zombie for Gravecrawler) and Basking Rootwalla. Pimp + Rootwalla = t1 Vengevines.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Tarmogoyf what are you doing. You are not a black one-drop. You don't even like Swamps. Get down.

Where's all the Sarcomancy and Rakdos Cacklers and shizz? :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Sep 2011

Forgot about Basking Rootwalla! I haven't played this list since a few years ago (pre-DRS and RiP), but was one of the ones brewing this sort of thing way back when Gravecrawler first got spoiled and used to pilot it a lot then. Posted about it on the Eva Green thread some time back in discussions with others. I definitely ran a set of Rootwallas and some other free discard outlet (PimP or possibly Wild Mongrel instead of Goyf). LOL. Can't even remember my own deck.

I do remember that I ran 4 Bob in the SB and would typically board out Buried Alive and some of the Bloodghasts for Bobs when expecting major grave hate. Sometimes all Ghasts go out and Thoughtseize would come in too. That let you function like a typical Eva Green deck beating down and somewhat indifferent to the opponent trying to mull into gravehate.

It was fairly decent in the meta then, when everyone was obsessed with Stoneforging into things (blind Cabal Therapy loves turning SFM into Squire), dropping Batterskull and Jitte (which look bad when you're swinging with grow-a-troll and recurring dorks and have sac outlets to stop the lifegain/counters) and casting Thalias (which does very little when playing 32-ish creatures and 1cc discard). Decent against RUG too, since most of their fair answers don't stop you from being unfair. Wild Mongrel was lulz against Maverick trying to stop your fatties with Mom.

I posted this now curious how this sort of strategy would hold up in a new meta with DRS, Abrupt Decay and all the new BG dig cards.

Dark Ritual is interesting. I never ran that before, but early game it enables T1 Buried Alive, T1 Vengevine (Pimp, dork, dork), and grows your Carrion-Crawler combo faster even in the late game. What about:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Putrid Imp
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Carrion Feeder
    4 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Lotleth Troll
    3 Bloodghast
    4 Vengevine

4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Buried Alive
    2 Grisly Salvage

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Bayou
    1 Forest
    2 Swamp

//SB:
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Golgari Charm
    2 Disfigure

So game 1 you go all-out on the GY aggro plan, and then you can either board in some pieces as needed or completely transform into a more Eva Green-ish deck postboard. The problem with that is I don't like having only 16 lands against Stifle/Wasteland. As an aggro deck that's resilient to counterspells and burn, you should normally have a field day against RUG and other tempo. But not with Dark Ritual and 16 lands.

Jan 2011
    York

Im fairly certain there is a living dead girl thread floating around here somewhere, it might be worth looking for and necroing. I tested this fairly extensively when deathrite was spoiled and found zombardment abused the pieces better with a better combo matchup. But the meta is vastly different so might be worth re-exploring

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by uncletiggy View Post
    Im fairly certain there is a living dead girl thread floating around here somewhere, it might be worth looking for and necroing. I tested this fairly extensively when deathrite was spoiled and found zombardment abused the pieces better with a better combo matchup. But the meta is vastly different so might be worth re-exploring
    Interesting. Yeah, Zombardment may just be better but there are some interactions with LOLtroll and Vengevine that you can't do there. Those interactions mostly involve losing to Rest in Peace and DRS.

Jan 2011
    York

The upside is b/g can handle both those permanents fairly easy while still clocking your opponent with oonas prowler and some 3/3 rootwallas its fringe but flavorful. Ill give it a run on cockatrice every now and then its comepative but u/w/r delver is a rough matchup and so is miracles which puts it terribly positioned.

Thread Information