1. Overview
    2. Decklists
    3. Principles
    4. Tips and tricks
    5. Strengths
    6. Weaknesses
    7. The Sideboard
    8. Thanks

(Primer last updated on 8/11/18 to include a new high-placing list in a large event and to finally remove all references to the banned Sensei’s Divining Top.)

1. Overview

Imperial Bomberman is a combo-control deck based around the infinite mana engine of Auriok Salvagers (“Bomberman”) + Lion's Eye Diamond (LED). Cracking LED for WWW and returning it to your hand for 1W with Salvagers nets W per loop. After making arbitrarily large amounts of W, the loop can be used to make mana of other colors. This mana is most often spent to make a gigantic Walking Ballista for the win. Imperial Recruiter, which searches up Auriok Salvagers or Walking Ballista, and Trinket Mage, which searches up Lion's Eye Diamond or Walking Ballista, serve as the deck's primary tutors, while also providing card advantage and a beatdown plan B. Cavern of Souls naming human (or sometimes construct) allows the crucial creatures in the deck to be cast through counterspells.

The Bomberman combo package is interesting in Legacy for its resilience: it completely disregards Abrupt Decay and solitary Lightning Bolts, and is strong against many forms of graveyard hate (ie., Surgical Extraction, Tormod's Crypt), since with enough mana available, Auriok Salvagers can stack a new trigger on top of the hate. Also, because of the tutor power of Imperial Recruiter and Trinket Mage, the deck's sideboard is very flexible, allowing for a suite of silver bullets to shore up most bad matchups.

2. Decklists with notable finishes

Top 8s:
    April 1st, 2018 Christian Hammer, Top 4 at a 79 player event in Lucerne, Switzerland.
    February 13th, 2017 Christian Hammer, Top 8 at a 47 player event in Lucerne, Switzerland.
    April 13th, 2014 Conor Brown, Top 8 at a 52 player SCQ IQ in Northglenn, Colorado.

A sample maindeck, as of 8/11/18

4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Trinket Mage
    4 Walking Ballista
    3 Hope of Ghirapur

1 Saheeli Rai

1 Aether Spellbomb
    1 Basilisk Collar
    2 Engineered Explosives
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Mox Opal
    1 Pithing Needle
    4 Pyrite Spellbomb

2 Swords to Plowshares

1 Ancient Den
    3 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Great Furnace
    1 Island
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    1 Plateau
    2 Seat of the Synod
    1 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island

3. Principles

A fundamental concept behind current builds is to run enough copies of the "kill conditions" to make Auriok Salvagers + Lion's Eye Diamond function as much like a 2-card combo as possible. Prior to the printing of Walking Ballista, 6-7 kill conditions were common (4 Pyrite Spellbomb, 1 Aether Spellbomb, and some combination of Nihil Spellbomb, Conjurer's Baubles, or Phyrexian Furnaces). Current thinking with Ballista is to run 7-10.

The deck draws strength from its ability to shift roles between combo, control, and even aggro. Almost every card in the deck is multi-functional. When on the combo plan, the breakdown of functionality is:

Engine:
    Auriok Salvagers + Lion's Eye Diamond = infinite mana

Kill:
    Pyrite Spellbomb or Walking Ballista = infinite damage
    Aether Spellbomb = draw your deck into a kill condition

Tutors:
    Trinket Mage
    Imperial Recruiter
    Inventors' Fair

Protection:
    Hope of Ghirapur
    Cavern of Souls

Mana:
    Lands
    Mox Opal
    Lion's Eye Diamond

However, when in the control role, the deck can be broken down quite differently: Pyrite Spellbomb, Walking Ballista, Engineered Explosives, and Aether Spellbomb are a suite of removal rather than just the conclusion of the combo, while the tutors may not be gunning to simply assemble the combo, rather they may find a bullet to answer a specific threat. Even Auriok Salvagers, in the absence of Lion’s Eye Diamond, can still be a powerful source of card advantage.

Depending on the game state and the flex slots, the deck may even be able to shift into an aggro role. In flex-slot contention, Cranial Plating is a prime candidate to bolster this plan, while Lightning Bolt could join Walking Ballista and Pyrite Spellbomb to provide the deck a substantial amount of “reach” (direct damage which can kill an opponent outside of combat).

4. Tips and tricks

9 mana + Imperial Recruiter: with LED and a kill condition (in hand, battlefield, or graveyard), it takes a total of 9 mana to win the turn you cast Imperial Recruiter. Note that live LEDs can contribute to this total. “Counting to 9” in this deck occurs fairly often. The most appealing scenario: Ancient Tomb, Mox Opal, 2x LED, Imperial Recruiter, kill condition = win on turn 1.

As noted in Carsten Kotter's article on Star City Games, Aether Spellbomb essentially turns Trinket Mage + Auriok Salvagers into a (very expensive) 2 card combo: "play Trinket Mage, get Aether Spellbomb, bounce Trinket Mage, replay it, get Lion's Eye Diamond," combo off.

It's almost always best to crack LEDs in response to Imperial Recruiter or Trinket Mage "enters the battlefield" triggers instead of with the counterable spell on the stack. (Be sure to clearly announce that you are retaining priority when you announce the trigger.)

A really common misplay with the deck is to crack LEDs or other artifacts before making mana with Mox Opal, only to realize that you no longer have metalcraft. Mox Opal WILL make you sad if you are not paying attention!

5. Strengths

-Resilient to countermagic: Cavern of Souls makes the combo engine, and the main suite of tutors, uncounterable. Even without Cavern, many {U}-cost counterspells, such as Spell Snare and Flusterstorm, are blanks, while Spell Pierce is only conditionally relevant.
    -Generally strong against any deck that wants to play creatures. The removal suite can answer most threats, and stalling with Imperial Recruiter or Trinket Mage chump blocks against the rest can buy enough time to assemble the combo.
    -Answering disruptive creatures (eg., Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Phyrexian Revoker) is easy to do, given the slew of maindeck creature removal. Note that Pyrite Spellbomb, Karakas, Walking Ballista, and Engineered Explosives are all colorless and thus get around an active Mother of Runes protecting the hatebears. Many disruptive creatures, such as Ethersworn Cannonist, Gaddock Teeg, Leovold Emissary of Trest, and Lodestone Golem, do not stop our combo to begin with.
    -Auriok Salvagers can stack triggers on top of one-off graveyard hate to blank it. This applies especially to Surgical Extraction, Tormod's Crypt, Nihil Spellbomb, and Faerie Macabre.
    -The deck is great against two of the most common removal spells in the format: Abrupt Decay and Lightning Bolt.

6. Weaknesses

-A slow goldfish (turn 3-4 consistently.)
    -Mana-hungry. The mana base can be shaky under pressure from Ghost Quarter, Wasteland, Back to Basics, or Blood Moon.
    -Susceptible to spot-removal: Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile, Murderous Cut, Dismember, Fatal Push, etc. cheaply and effectively disrupt the combo by killing (or exiling) Auriok Salvagers.
    -The deck presents a lot of targets for Stifle.
    -Vulnerable to a long list of problematic non-creature (ie., harder to answer) hate, including: Counterbalance, Trinisphere, Sphere of Resistance, Thorn of Amethyst, Chalice of the Void (although Walking Ballista now makes Chalice on 1 much less problematic), Pithing Needle, Null Rod, Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, Mindbreak Trap, etc.

7. The Sideboard

Imperial Bomberman's sideboard is quite flexible. As a general rule, it's best to make all of our tutors live against the primary threats we aim to answer and to diversify hate as much as possible.

Potential Graveyard Hate:
    Nihil Spellbomb - also conveniently draws our deck with the Bomberman infinite mana combo online.
    Grafdigger's Cage - conveniently also good against Elves (Green Sun’s Zenith, Natural Order.)
    Tormod's Crypt - the 0 cost can be important, because it allows Trinket Mage + acceleration to be grave hate regularly on turn 2, and even sometimes on turn 1.
    Faerie Macabre - when faced with a truly graveyard-abuse heavy meta, a piece of hate tutorable with Imperial Recruiter.

Potential answers to troublesome artifacts and enchantments:
    War Priest of Thune and Manic Vandal - Recruitable humans that go nicely with Cavern of Souls.
    Qasali Pridemage - the most versatile card in this category - Recruitable, and kills most relevant pieces of non-creature hate, in addition to bolstering the beatdown plan. The only downside is the {G} in its mana cost - fortunately, Cavern of Souls on Wizard also casts Trinket Mage. Mox Opal also helps. Finding room for 1 Savannah in the 75 makes this card quite reasonable.
    Reclamation Sage - Its advantage over Pridemage is the ability to be cast with only one color of mana off of, say, Mox Opal. This can matter under a Blood Moon.
    Mangara of Corondor - can get cute with the Karakas in the main.
    Seal of Cleansing and Oblivion Ring - tutorable with Enlightened Tutor.
    Devout Witness - courtesy of Vintage.
    Disenchant - oldy but goody.
    Abrade
    Fragmentize - doesn't destroy Chalice on 1, which was formerly the main reason not to play it, but now that an astute opponent will play Chalice on 0 more often than on 1 (since Ballista can still kill them under the combo if they go for 1), Fragmentize is in contention.
    Boompile or Nevinyrall's Disk - for when killing just one thing at a time just isn't enough.

Potential Sneak and Show hate (all with uses in other matchups):
    Phyrexian Revoker and Pithing Needle - to turn off Sneak Attack. Versatile - can also shut off Scavenging Ooze, Grindstone, Griselbrand, Planeswalkers, etc.
    Ensnaring Bridge - relevant against Eldrazi.
    Peacekeeper - relevant against Elves and Eldrazi.
    Aether Spellbomb
    (Oblivion Ring and Mangara of Corondor, from above, also relevant against Sneak and Show.)

Potential Storm Hate:
    Ethersworn Canonist - doesn't even stop our own combo!
    Children of Korlis (this tech courtesy of the Tin Fins progenitors Richard Cheese and .dk) - can be activated for profit in response to the final storm copy from their Tendrils of Agony that would otherwise kill you. Also playable against Burn and Dredge, unlike most other Storm hate.
    Silence or Orim's Chant - probably too narrow for inclusion, but they are great 1cc answers to Storm.
    Flusterstorm
    Chalice of the Void - contentious, since it often hits our own combo. However, with Walking Ballista now allowing us to combo off even with Chalice on 1, Chalice is a much more appealing option. A 1-of in the board to tutor up with Trinket Mage seems very reasonable.

Other options:
    Enlightened Tutors - more ways of finding silver bullets in matchups where you need to ASAP. Example: searching up Ethersworn Canonist or Chalice against Storm.
    Meddling Mage - a versatile sideboard option. Relevant against most combo and control matchups.
    Umezawa's Jitte and Cranial Plating – for when going beatdown looks likely (ie., in the face of lots of hate.)
    Circle of Protection: Red - for burn, of course, which is a pretty dire matchup without this and the Enlightened Tutors to consistently find it.
    Helm of Obedience - a hilarious way to respond to an opponent's Rest in Peace.
    Painter's Servant + Grindstone combo - fits into the deck like a glove. However, does it solve enough problems to justify hogging sideboard slots?
    Magus of the Moon and Blood Moon
    Leyline of Sanctity

8. Thanks

Special thanks to .dk for contributing to the primer and for being a valuable testing partner and idea-generator for this deck. Also, thanks to the Front Range Legacy community for building a supportive scene here in Colorado.
    Last edited by Wanderlust; 08-11-2018 at 10:49 PM. Reason: housekeeping

Re: [Deck] Imperial Bomberman

I've been actually running the old school gamekeeper combo. He dumps your library into your graveyard until you hit a salvagers which allows you to combo on the spot. Living wish is also helpful here as well.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoderm View Post
    I've been actually running the old school gamekeeper combo. He dumps your library into your graveyard until you hit a salvagers which allows you to combo on the spot. Living wish is also helpful here as well.
    Ah I love that deck, Golden Grahams - that was the reason I picked up LEDs back in 2006 :-). The problem I've had with Gamekeeper lately is that Deathrite Shaman can eat him before his trigger resolves.

I was playing Living Wish in Imperial Bomberman until recently. I found that supporting green made the manabase too fragile and also relegated a Salvager to the Sideboard - I definitely prefer having all 4 Salvagers main. I'm sure there is a good Auriok Salvagers / Living Wish deck floating out in the aether somewhere though!
    Last edited by Wanderlust; 04-21-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Bomberman is one of my favorite decks and I think it borders on being legacy playable, but you should probably go down the aggro-combo-control route by messing around with Stoneforge Mystic/Batterskull and a Sword and you can really break the human tutor targets like with Mother of Runes or Meddling Mage to be annoying as hell.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Bomberman is one of my favorite decks and I think it borders on being legacy playable, but you should probably go down the aggro-combo-control route by messing around with Stoneforge Mystic/Batterskull and a Sword and you can really break the human tutor targets like with Mother of Runes or Meddling Mage to be annoying as hell.
    Interesting idea - there are currently 2 obvious flex slots in the opening post list: Grim Lavamancer and Phyrexian Revoker (which I think should actually be Magus of the Moon). What else would you propose cutting to make room for a SFM package? Mother of Runes is interesting as well, since it protects Salvagers from Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exile, currently its biggest weak point.
    Last edited by Wanderlust; 04-21-2014 at 07:18 PM.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Mom seems like a great Recuiter target - or something to give your salvagers shroud or something of the like (thinking Sylvan Safekeeper if you're running Green as it doesn't have summoning sickness like Mom does).

"For this reason, against decks that may be running Liliana, it's best not to chump with Recruiters and Mages until the last second." - What? Did you run into this situation or something? ;)
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Actually, taking a page from some iPainter builds, maybe you could try spellskite as a Recruiter target? It's a pretty good wall, and protects Salvagers from Swords incredibly well.

Something I am sure everyone is dying to know, Why are there no brainstorms (or Ponder) in a combo deck?

I certainly understand that the bauble plays well with bomberman but do you really need 3? It seems to me that there are at least 4 slots somewhere that could be made for brainstorm…Though I guess that you do not have a lot blue mana sources or shuffle effects to exploit brainstorm. IF for no other reason, brainstorm seems like a great way for you to get valuable cards from your hand to the top of your library to protect them from discard (and surgical extraction).

Thoughts, Comments?

Dec 2009
    Newark, Delaware

More than one of each combo piece artifact and every other one more than zero with the exception of EE seems either unnecessary or actively bad. If you're running four LED, id imagine it'd be for how well it interacts with Unburial Rites for the turn two. The open slots are probably better served as either Painter combo for a two card Monte approach as you already run Trinket Mage and Recruiter, something like StifleNaught, literally any plan B, or a more traditional blue suite to better combat discard. Spellskite, as mentioned earlier, certainly seems strong.
    11th at SCG Baltimore - 6/02/2013
    2nd at SCG Philadelphia - 6/23/2013
    28th at SCG Worcester - 7/07/2013

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Here is my take after some initial play testing. I wanted more ways to find my combo pieces, and [s]Survival of the Fittest[/s] Artificer's Intuition does a great job of that. With more tutoring, I was able to cut some of the combo pieces for those. 2 EE have not really been enough against American Delver, and I am considering running the Painter/Grindstone package in the board, as half of it is tutorable, and it wins through RiP still.

4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Trinket Mage
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Pyrite Spellbomb
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Mox Opal
    2 Grim Monolith
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors
    2 Ancient Den
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Windswept Heath
    2 Plains
    1 Plateau
    1 Tundra
    1 Karakas
    1 Conjurer's Bauble
    3 Artificer's Intuition
    1 Spellskite
    1 Seat of the Synod
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Enlightened Tutor
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 4 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Magus of the Moon
    SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 War Priest of Thune
    SB: 1 Oblivion Ring
    SB: 1 Peacekeeper
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    Artificer's Intuition ]
    Artificer's Intuition is one of my all-time favorite cards, and it has insane synergy with Sensei's Divining Top since AI is a recurring shuffle effect. I'm curious to hear how that pans out for you, especially mana-base wise. For a while I was running 2, but found having to invest 1UU + another card into AI before it did anything to be problematic. When you were testing the OP list, were you noticeably having trouble finding combo pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by Worldslayer View Post
    More than one of each combo piece artifact and every other one more than zero with the exception of EE seems either unnecessary or actively bad.
    You may be correct regarding Conjurer's Bauble, I could see cutting 1-2, but I must defend Pyrite Spellbomb as being totally decent as removal that also happens to win you the game once the Bomberman combo hits. Hell, Disfigure sees play in Legacy, and it only does half of what Pyrite Spellbomb does in this deck. The logic behind running as many Baubles and Spellbombs as are in the OP list is that you want them to show up naturally over the course of the game rather than having to actively tutor for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldslayer View Post
    If you're running four LED, id imagine it'd be for how well it interacts with Unburial Rites for the turn two. The open slots are probably better served as either Painter combo for a two card Monte approach as you already run Trinket Mage and Recruiter, something like StifleNaught, literally any plan B, or a more traditional blue suite to better combat discard. Spellskite, as mentioned earlier, certainly seems strong.
    Unburial Rites is an interesting idea, spicy :-). I'll be honest and say from experience that I think that two card monte approaches, in general, are not very good. Why confuse the issue and pull a deck in two directions?
    Last edited by Wanderlust; 04-23-2014 at 02:23 AM.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Razorwynd View Post
    Something I am sure everyone is dying to know, Why are there no brainstorms (or Ponder) in a combo deck?

I certainly understand that the bauble plays well with bomberman but do you really need 3? It seems to me that there are at least 4 slots somewhere that could be made for brainstorm…Though I guess that you do not have a lot blue mana sources or shuffle effects to exploit brainstorm. IF for no other reason, brainstorm seems like a great way for you to get valuable cards from your hand to the top of your library to protect them from discard (and surgical extraction).

Thoughts, Comments?
    The main roadblock to Brainstorm currently is the manabase, but it's not a stretch at all to fix that. With all of the Mages, Recruiters, E Tutor, and fetches, there are actually quite a few shuffle effects. I haven't tried Brainstorm in this deck since before messing around with Living Wish - it's definitely worth trying to jam those in there and giving it a whirl.

When I experimented with Bomberman in Legacy I went the aggro-control-combo route so,

4 Force of Will
    4 Trinket Mage
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Spell Snare

as the core of the deck.

For removal, the idea is that your removal and your combo pieces are one in the same i.e. Pyrite Spellbomb and possibly an Aether Spellbomb.

4 Pyrite Spellbomb

That leaves you with the rest of your combo and tutor package,

3 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Imperial Painters
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond

From there you can start rounding out the deck with Trinket Mage and Imperial Recruiter targets, Intuition, Ponder, Swords to Plowshares and a Stoneforge Mystic + Equipment package.

I usually avoid Swords to Plowshares in the MD because you can use Relic of Progenitus to get around Tarmogoyf and that lets you Meddling Mage it vs any Blade deck.

I usually play the deck pretty slowly.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    [ideas]
    Thanks for all of the ideas. I forgot about Aether Spellbomb - definitely a potential 1-of, especially since it can help against Sneak and Show.

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Actually, taking a page from some iPainter builds, maybe you could try spellskite as a Recruiter target? It's a pretty good wall, and protects Salvagers from Swords incredibly well.
    For the few slots in the main for silver bullet creatures, it's looking like a battle between Grim Lavamancer, Mother of Runes, Magus of the Moon, Phyrexian Revoker, Spellskite, and maybe Meddling Mage. Maaaybe Goblin Welder?

If we're going the "protect Salvagers" route, I personally vote for Mother of Runes over Spellskite, since Mom is only 1 mana, can be cast off of Cavern of Souls on human, and is a better blocker against a 4/5+ goyf.

Regarding Meddling Mage: interesting note above about how if we use it, we would often want to name Swords to Plowshares, making our own Stps bad. That makes me skeptical more of Meddling Mage as an inclusion rather than our own Stps.

Anybody have any videos of this deck in action?

I think the Baubles should be straight up replaced with Aether Spellbombs. Obviously bouncing an opponents dude seems good, also hedging against Sneak and Show, but I like the ability to reset a Trinket Mage or Imperial Recruiter in fringe scenarios.

Edit - Also, how have the Mox Opals and Grim Monoliths been treating you? Would you say they are completely necessary for the deck to function well?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I really like this. But if I was to run it I would run a transformable side to make it a Painter build after siding. That way Grave hate brought in will not be as effective. Either that or I would go more towards blue and run more deck manipulation and protection.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that you actually have a fairly reasonable beatdown backup plan, similar to Imperial Painter. You'd be surprised as to how quickly chaining Recruiters can actually get there. You actually aren't all in on the graveyard because of that. There might be synergistic options that further both plans rather than a transformative sideboard. Just speaking hypothetically since I've done 0 research to try to figure that out. ;)

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Zllig View Post
    I think the Baubles should be straight up replaced with Aether Spellbombs. Obviously bouncing an opponents dude seems good, also hedging against Sneak and Show, but I like the ability to reset a Trinket Mage or Imperial Recruiter in fringe scenarios.
    I really like the idea of using Aether Spellbombs to reset Trinket Mages and Recruiters! Definitely going to try that out. What I'll say about Conjurer's Bauble is that I like its low mana investment: it cycles for {1}; the spellbombs cycle for {2}; and once you've cast Bauble it's just waiting to cantrip for free at any point, whereas the spellbombs always gum up {1} mana at the time of cantripping. When you need to flip into the top card of your library (esp. after casting Enlightened Tutor) that {1} difference can be very relevant. Also, Conjurer's Bauble is a form of protection against Surgical Extraction. Granted, Aether Spellbomb may still be better due to its general versatility and work against Sneak and Show, we'll have to test and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Zllig View Post
    Also, how have the Mox Opals and Grim Monoliths been treating you? Would you say they are completely necessary for the deck to function well?
    I'm a huge fan of Mox Opal in this deck - it has been consistently amazing. It color fixes and accelerates. Grim Monolith is more hit or miss, but it's in there for two reasons: it allows for the most explosive openings (ie. turn 1 Ancient Tomb, Grim Monolith, Mox Opal, LED, Auriok Salvagers, activate LED discarding a spellbomb or bauble, win), and it helps against decks that attack our manabases and have soft counters (esp. RUG) - it's one more way to power past their attempts to squeeze us short of mana resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I really like this. But if I was to run it I would run a transformable side to make it a Painter build after siding. That way Grave hate brought in will not be as effective.
    Going the Painted Stone route post-board may be correct since this deck's manabase can certainly power out wins that way very quickly. In what matchups would you plan on bringing it in? I see it pulling its weight most against decks packing Rest in Peace, Leyline of the Void, or tax effects - ie., Death and Taxes, MUD (Trinisphere and Lodestone Golem), Lands variants (Sphere of Resistance). My concern is sideboard space - the decks I imagine wanting Painted Stone against are matchups I feel somewhat geared for already in the main deck (we have EEs and lots of ways to tutor for them against Rest in Peace, Pyrite Spellbombs and StPs to kill Thalias and Lodestone Golems) whereas it's combo decks, esp Sneak and Show, Storm, and Reanimator, that need the most sideboard help.

If grave hate is anything other than Pest in Peace, Leyline of the Void, or Wheel of Sun and Moon, I just play carefully and make sure to have enough mana when comboing off to always be able to stack another Salvager trigger on top of any one-off hate to blank it.

If we are not running Force of Will OR Cabal Therapy, what's the advantage to running this over Storm? We lose to pretty much everything Storm loses to, but we also lose to creature removal.

(Yes I know you can Cavern of Souls on Auriok Salvagers to get around counters, but I don't think that in and of itself is compelling enough.)
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Thread Information