Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Bomberman

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Re: [Deck] Imperial Bomberman

I think we talked about this the other day, but Leyline of Sanctity is relevant against Burn, Storm, and Dredge (they can't therapy you). Fair number of sideboard slots though, and a lot to be boarding out each time you want them.

The problem (that I see) is that the best card that bridges both Burn and Storm (Chalice of the Void) is unplayable in this deck. Silence doesn't feel that strong against Burn either, unfortunately.

/edit: actually, the next best card that actually works off of the top of my head actually fits into the recruiter package quite well. One of my favorite pet cards: Children of Korlis. It's pretty insane against any kind of Tendrils deck, and can do some very good work against Burn as well. And in a pinch, can remove Bridges from the yard vs. Dredge too!
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Worlds Strongest Millionaire
    Aug 2011
    Colorado

What about Aegis of the Gods it's a little bit more vulnerable but you can search for it with Enlightened Tutor and Imperial Recruiter.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.
    ~ Mohandas Gandhi

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

That was on a list of cards when I was searching too... however Aegis (and True Believer) both need to be alive to actually do anything. Which is a little rough against 40LightningBolts.dec. Children can potentially counterspell 2 of burn's cards and requires a VERY high storm count to be able to kill through. Also Children is a human, which means that you can cast it off of Cavern of Souls as well, which is a nice bonus. The cards that I saw in a quick search (I haven't searched exhaustively yet - just looking for things that affect life totals and such so far):

hallow
    children of korlis
    intervention pact
    leonin elder
    sunbeam spellbomb
    Gilded Light
    True Believer
    aegis of the gods

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

There's always Children of Korlis!
    Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    One of my favorite pet cards: Children of Korlis.
    Ach, Hans, run, it's the Onion Burst!

Aug 2013
    Vancouver, BC

I'm surprised there hasn't been mention of this list that was featured in a Carsten Kotter article

Creatures (14):

4x Auriok Salvagers
    4x Imperial Recruiter
    4x Trinket Mage
    1x Grim Lavamancer
    1x Phyrexian Revoker

Artifacts (21):

4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Sensei's Divining Top
    3x Conjurer's Bauble
    3x Mox Opal
    3x Pyrite Spellbomb
    2x Engineered Explosives
    2x Grim Monolith

Spells (5):

4x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Enlightened Tutor

Lands (20):

4x Cavern of Souls
    3x Ancient Tomb
    1x City of Traitors
    1x Karakas
    2x Ancient Den
    1x Great Furnace
    3x Windswept Heath
    1x Arid Mesa
    1x Plateau
    1x Tundra
    2x Plains

Sideboard (15):

4x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Enlightened Tutor
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    1x Oblivion Ring
    1x Faerie Macabre
    1x Peacekeeper
    1x Magus of the Moon
    1x Phyrexian Revoker
    1x War Priest of Thune

Carsten mentions the lack of Aether Spellbomb and Meekstone being his only complaints. I'd have to agree, but I'm also concerned with the manabase slightly.

As my interest in this archetype has been reignited, I'll be starting with this shell (with some minor modifications)

-1 Conjurer's Bauble
    + 1 Aether Spellbomb

-1 Phyrexian Revoker (SB)
    +1 Meekstone (SB)
    Cowboy Magic

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Funny that you mention it since that list was Wanderlust's that he took to an IQ a while ago. Current list has evolved from there. :) I do like the Aether Spellbomb too, as it does enable that pretty sweet Trinket Mage line, and can buy back recruiter activations, save Salvagers in a pinch, etc.

/edit: and I failed to even notice that Richard Cheese mentioned Children of Korlis earlier in the thread... Whoops!

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    /edit: and I failed to even notice that Richard Cheese mentioned Children of Korlis earlier in the thread... Whoops!
    Haha no worries, I greatly enjoy the fact that the two progenitors of Tin Fins are in the thread pushing for Children of Korlis :-). I'm going to try out 2-3 of them in the board for a while and see how they do!

Quote Originally Posted by SevenInTheQueue View Post
    As my interest in this archetype has been reignited, I'll be starting with this shell (with some minor modifications)
    Yes, as .dk mentioned, that shell is the basis for the thread - I think the main deck is mostly there (your proposed changes are good, I think), it's really the sideboard that needs a bit of an overhaul. Specifically, it needs more and better artifact/enchantment removal, a plan against burn, a plan against Miracles, and a plan against Death and Taxes. Solving all of those problems is a work in progress. I've actually found that having more/better artifact/enchantment removal kind of IS a plan against Miracles and Death and Taxes, but I don't have the tournament experience to back that up yet.

EDIT: I also upped the land count from 20 to 21. Interested to hear your thoughts on the manabase.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

I got my first chance to pilot this deck in the Treasure Cruise era yesterday to a 3-1 finish at our local Monday night Legacy, going:

2-0 Miracles
    0-2 4-color Delve Delver
    2-0 UR Delver
    2-1 Doomsday

I misplayed pretty badly in game 1 against 4-color Delver by trying to hold back Cavern of Souls to keep it safe from Wasteland - due to missing that land drop, I wound up a mana short from winning on the turn I should have comboed off. I'm finding timing Cavern of Souls against tempo decks to be tricky - it's a knife edge between running into their Wastelands too early vs. missing land drops and losing the tempo battle. It's situational, but I think missing a turn 3 land drop to hold back Caverns is probably wrong more often than not.

I've been testing a lot against Miracles - games 2 and 3 I plan on just going the beatdown route, only comboing off if it comes up naturally. Meddling Mage is great here - I usually name Terminus to keep them from benefiting from its card advantage. Most of our creatures provide us with our own card advantage, so if they are forced into just 1-for-1s, eventually they run out of steam to interact. It helps that they often side in cards that wind up being dead against the Man Plan, esp. Rest in Peace. I also think it's tough for them to disrupt both the Salvagers combo plan and the beatdown plan simultaneously, as we can switch between those roles fairly fluidly. I'm not saying this is an unequivocally positive matchup, but we certainly put up a fight.

Here's the list I ran last night:

4 Auriok Salvagers
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Trinket Mage
    2 Meddling Mage

2 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Swords to Plowshares

2 Engineered Explosives
    4 Pyrite Spellbomb
    2 Nihil Spellbomb
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Mox Opal

4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors
    2 Ancient Den
    1 Great Furnace
    1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Windswept Heath
    1 Plains
    1 Plateau
    1 Tundra
    1 Savannah
    1 Karakas

Sideboard:
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Oblivion Ring
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Meekstone
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Circle of Protection: Red
    3 Children of Korlis

Since theres no non-Imperial Bomberman thread.

What do you think of a less comboish/more controllish version of the deck?
    I'm doing fairly well at the moment with a base uw version with countertop, going down to 1 LED but make up for that with Brainstorm, Ponder and Dig Through Time. I'm still not diluting to much of the beatdown "plan" since i'm still featuring 8 2 power-creatures and 2 Cliques.
    Did farily well in Ovino (6-2-Pricesplit) losing only to the winner and one other from the top 8 (threw 1 of those matches away).

Could you post the list you've been using?

2 Aether Spellbomb
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Meekstone
    1 Pyrite Spellbomb
    3 Sensei's Divining Top

3 Auriok Salvager
    3 Meddling Mage
    3 Trinket Mage
    2 Vendillion Clique

3 Counterbalance

4 Brainstorm
    3 Force of WIll
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Dig Through Time

4 Ponder

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Flooded Strand
    5 other u-fetches
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    3 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island

SB:
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Auriok Salvager
    2 Magus of the Mon
    2 Notion Thief
    2 Disenchant
    1 Force of Will
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Terminus
    2 open slots

It's not QUITE finished.. there are still 1-2 slots in the maindeck I'm not that certain about though I still like it quite a lot and there are 2 open slots in the sb left.
    If some people are interested I could write something about the matches I played.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    If some people are interested I could write something about the matches I played.
    Yes, that would be great!

Ok then..

Beforehand: I did test the Miracle-Matchup quite a lot it was overall positive..then Dig/TC got spoiled and I did not test with these new cards.. since they did replace Dark Confidant in my list (which made me change some other minor stuff aswell) I should have tested after KTK, I did overestimate my matchup which was a fatal mistake. It's still not bad, but not as good as it was before.
    If I had to play the list now I'd dedicate the other 2 open sideboard slots for the matchup, though I'm still on the fence which cards exactly I'd play.
    Anyway:

After beeing awake for about 35h straigt and travelling more than 10h I started with the side event on friday, playing a similar list (SB: -2 Terminus, -1 Magus, -1 Salvager | +1Stp, +1 Path, +1 Blast, +2 Divert, +1 Misdirection).

Match 1 Merfolk
    G1 He mulls to 5 and I kill every creature he has and combo off after 3 Brainstorms, 3 Ponder, 2 Dig through Times (in 1 turn^^) and countless top activations before I finally find a Spellbomb.
    G2 He has an agressive start but I combo off 1 turn before he kills me casting Salvager through Cavern of Souls and having enough mana to replay the forced LED.

Match 2 Jund
    G1: I mull to 5, he starts with TS into Bob into Library, followed by a Liliana.. I nearly managed to get there but a late topdecked Hymn by him gets my Trinket Mage (intending to find a LED, I had a top in play and could've seen up to 7 cards in hope to find a Salvager to win).
    G2: I take a mull to 6 keeping a 1lander with 2 ponder, missing my landdrops and getting beaten down by Bob and Goyfs (TS took an EE before I finally found my second land).

Match 3 ANT
    G1 I keep a hand with lots of removal and top, he has a weak hand and is just cantripping, I find a Counterbalance and beat him down with Pillarfield Oxen (read: Salvager).
    G2 I threw this game away.. I keep a solid hand with FoW & Pyroblast and some other stuff.. he plays t2 defense Grid which I let resolve. I mainphase Clique, bottoming a Tutor and see his hand of rituals & Decay. He does nothing, I play a Meddling Mage naming Decay, draw with Top for my second Meddling Mage and what the hell do I do? Name Tutor and thus get killed since his 2 draws has been Past in Flames & Tendrils.
    G3 I keep a hand with Top, CB, Meddling Mage, 2 lands. He decays both and combos off without cantripping.

Match 4 Junk (with Depths)
    G1 Can't remember but I simple beat him down, killing his creatures. I think Counterbalance did quite some work.
    G2 He has an early Choke which does choke my manabase consisting of Island, Tundra, Plains.. Though I did had 2 Cavern of Souls in hand, finding a third and combo off.

Match 5 - Some Blade-Deck
    Don't have my notes, I know I won.

At this point I dropped to play an 8 man in hope of getting a Bye.

Match 1 - Infect
    G1 He starts with the elf, followed by Invigorate, Berserk & FoW Backup.
    G2 I force his first infect guy, kill the second, play some Meddling Mages (Pump Spells) and kill him. An early EE also got rid of 1 Glistering Elf + 2 Noble Hierarchs.
    G3 The game comes to following boardstate:
    Him having: Nexus, 3 Tropical Islands, Glistering Elf, the agent and the 2/2 guy with Infect, in Hand Vines + Invigorate
    I: Some leds, a 2/2 Meddling Mage (Vines), a 1/1 Meddling Mage (Invigorate), a top, an Aether Spellbomb and 3 or 4 infect counters.
    I find Magus of the moon, getting rid of the Nexus, the Pump Spells, bouncing the Agent and beeing able to sword the 2/2 guy and killing him. Thats the moment I decided to buy a second Magus of the Moon for the next day (wanted to play 2 anyway but one didn't reached before I left home).

Match 2 - BURG control with Pfire, Jace, Dack Fayden, Welder, Strix, Trinket Mage
    G1 I combo off turn 4.
    G2 We both have CB-Top and he beats me down with a Goblin Welder. I'm stuck on 3 lands, he has 7 or 8..
    We trade some counter & Removal with blasts, FoW, Pierces, Bolts, Fires, Notion Thiefs and Cliques. I resolve 2 Digs in the same turn but can't find the 3rd Salvager and lose.
    G3 He hits me with 2 Welders & a Trinket Mage while I cantrip, sometime I kill pretty much everything of him he tries to burn me to death but I catch his Brainstorm to recharge with a Notion Thief and win the next turn.

Match 3 - Team America
    G1 he starts with DRS, Goyf + TS, 2x Goyf.. I have no EE and can't keep up.
    G2 He hits me once with a flipped Delver, I kill it and lay down an uncounterable Magus of the Moon.
    G3 He keeps a hand with 1 Tropical, 1 Waste, 1 DRS and stuff, unfortunately I fetch at the start thus helping him to deplay Goyfes though I can bounce them and he has no mana to recast them. I did this fairly late though and am at 2 life versus DRS & Tropical with no cantrips in hand (otherwise he'd cast them by now). I have 3 lands in play and a Cavern of Souls in hand.. I have the options to kill the DRS with an EE and probably lose to a topdecked land into Goyf.. or play Salvager and lose to an topdecked black source and the DRS, I chose to play the Salvager to win the next turn, he gets a Ponder which does find the Usea to kill me off.

Unfortunatly no bye for me - oh well..

For the main event I used the last 2 slots of the Sideboard for Misdirections which were pretty bad. I pretty much only used 13 cards this day.

Match 1 - Junk hatebears (Thalia, Revoker, Wayfearer maindeck, Thorns & Chokes sb)
    G1 He has all 4 wastelands and between Thalia and Revoker -> Top I die.
    G2 He beats me with Thalia & Revoker down to 5 before my mighty Pillarfield Ox blocks him, one or two turns later I kill his Thalia via LED -> Pyrite and combo off.
    G3 He has Thalia, Revoker (Top), Thorn and gets an Choke via E-Tutor. I have some caverns and can cast my creatures to hold im off for the moment. Dig does find a disenchant to kill choke, followed by another Dig for EE to kill Thorn, I find an LED and kill his board every turn and having a Pithing Needle to protect my single Salvager from a topdcked Liliana. 2/4 terrorist kills him.

Match 2 UWR Landstill (with SFM, Clique, SCM)
    G1 he forces my Aether Spellbombs and runs out a SFM (Skull), I still him but one turn before I can with he topdecks his single maindeck pithing needle (Salvager).. my 2 EE's were in my graveyard and I die some turns later to the Skull.
    G2 T4 combo.
    G3 We both miss a lot of landdrops starting t3 but I beat him with a Trinket Mage, he flashes in SCM to trade of and playing a Standstill. I break it, he counters some stuff and plays another Standstill. I break it again (and later a third one) but since he cant counter my creatures and is low on life he tries to kill of my creatures now its my turn to counter his removal and at some point I sword an SCM to get through, he hardcasts FoW on the StP and taps out in the process, I use the window to combo off (didn't played Salvager before since I was missing my protection for StP).

Match 3 - Miracles (with SFM)
    G1 we both have an early CB, he has Top - I don't and never hit with a blind flip.
    I play a DTT he has CS and a FoW on top of his library for my FoW. My EE for 6 mana (with x=2) gets countered by Terminus and I'm unable to win while he has Jace for some turns now..
    G2 I play really sloppy - getting him down to 1 but tapping my lands wrong thus couldn't rebuy EE with a Salvager (for several turns till I realized my mistake, I guess my lack of sleep did catch on) etc. He barely wins on time with an EE.. had I played better I would've won.. had I realized my mistake after only doing it 2-3 times in a row I still could've drawn the game..
    Poor play of me oh well..

Match 4 - Team America
    G1 He starts with DRS, I try EE for 1 which eats a daze, he has 2 Delvers flipping next turn with FoW.
    G2 Salvager, LED & EE >> his deck.
    G3 He plays Goofys, I Magus followed by EE for 2 and he leaves the table.

Match 5 - Merfolk
    G1 He forces my Trinket Mage.. which was cast by a Cavern of Souls.. I get a Meekstone and stabilize at 11 with him having a tapped LoA, an untapped TNN which does attack me one time later before I combo off.
    G2 He has a fast start, I was faster.

Match 6 - Deathblade
    G1 He hits me one time with BSkull and I combo off some turns later (probably dealt with the skull via EE/Spellbomb?) having Meddling Mage as protection versus StP.
    Those bladedecks are pretty easy matchups anyway.. they can't interact with coutners, their graveyard hate is weak, their discard fairly easy to survive and their clock abysmal.
    G2 My beatdown plan, supported by CB, beats his.

Match 7 - Miracles
    G1 I have no Cavern and he counters/kills everything I do, he has an active Jace for some rounds which pressures me into comboing off though he had enough time to find a Terminus.
    G2 I mull to 6 and keep a risky hand with 1 Land, 0 cantrips but 2 Counterbalance, Meddling Mage, 2 Trinket Mage.. well I miss my second landdrop and he has all the right answers for my cards.

I don't think I missplayed G2 and a friend sitting next to us just said "he just had everything"..can happen but that was the point I realized I should've tested the Miracle-MU post-Bob ..

Match 8 - BURG Tempo
    G1 I have an early Counterbalance and he lacks the Decay for quite a while. He gets a Clique and hits me to 9 before I combo off. Somewhere in the game we both were hellbent, he had a Liliana (2 counters), I had CB and drawing a Clique.. his turn he activates Liliana, I play Clique he has a bolt for it but I blindflip a Top.
    G2 I keep a hand with 4 lands and 3 removal, he with 2 lands and 5 permission spells. We play draw, land, go for 5 turns.. I don't need to say much about this situation favoring me. He deals me 0 damage and ends the game with 4 or 5 counterspells.

Match 9 - Burn
    We decided to split.

Well it turned out to be a little bit longer than I tried to have it.. anyway feel free to ask questions.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Thanks for the report, Holly. Interesting that you run no graveyard or elves hate (Nihil Spellbomb, Tormods Crypt, or Grafdigger's Cage) to tutor up with Trinket Mage. That looks like it was the right decision given that tournament - is there just no dredge or reanimator being played in Europe right now? Also, do you have a plan against burn?

Reanimator is pretty much covered with Aetherspellbomb, true they could still draw with Griselbrand but still - its something.
    But I'm the opinion that using 2-3 slots for hate against Dredge / Reanimator is wasted unless you definitly expect A LOT of those..
    As for something like a single Cage as a Trinket Mage target.. against Dredge its to slow to matter, we're speaking about turn 4.. by turn 4 you are dead or can stabilize between EE, maybe Terminus and countering/Meddling Maging Dread Return (if played) or Cabal Therapy.
    Versus Elves..again t4 might very well to late but to be honest I haven't tested the matchup that often (about a dozen matches) and in those it wasn't needed. Again Meddling Mage (Natural Order) does a great job because Glimpse does play into Counterbalance, Terminus and EE.

Burn.. get an early counterbalance lock, try to race them or die I guess.
    I was actually thinking about Timely Reinforcement in the last slots if I dont need to improve the Miracle Matchup any further - I'm willing to believe that those 2 Matches in Ovino are not like the matchup plays out regulary but as I said..its something which needs more testing for which I at least won't have the time in the next weeks.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

As for something like a single Cage as a Trinket Mage target.. against Dredge its to slow to matter, we're speaking about turn 4...
    A good point - since your list isn't running acceleration (sol lands or mox opal) I agree that tutoring for graveyard hate with Mage is too slow. Doesn't necessarily mean they don't deserve a sideboard slot, though, since you run so much filtering/card selection.

Well sure, if there's a lot of Dredge I would play some pieces of GY-hate.
    Most Sideboard slots are flex slots, only one I think are must haves are those Disenchants (I'm eager waiting for a human-disenchant-on-a-stick) because of Null Rod destroying this deck.
    For every other slot it does pretty much depend on what you expect and since hardcore gy-strategies are on the backfoot I ask myself whats my goal for the event?
    Do I want a "good" finish like 6-3 or 7-2? Then I'd go with some gy-hate since its totally possible you get paired one time versus those and you don't want to flat out lose.
    Or do I have the actual goal of winning the tourmanet? In this case I need to get a little bit lucky anyway so I skip on those 2-3 slots and have those to deal with the top 8 which probably doesn't contain dredge/etc. at all.

Doublepost yadda yadda but since its something new..

Through some minor fortune I had the chance to play yesterday in a 60-people-event. Unfortunately my fortune ended and I did not do to well..
    Decided to play 2 Timely Reinforcement in the last sideboard slots expecting UR-Delver/Burn and wanted to play 1 Sunbeam Spellbomb maindeck but couldn't find one in time so dismissed it..

Match 1 vs Hypergenesis.
    G1 he combo's off end of my third turn but I bring in Salvager, LED & Aether Spellbomb (found the LED via Trinket Mage & had the Spellbomb in hand) bouncing his Emrakul and winning next turn.
    G2 He mulls to 6, brings in a white leyline (which would've stopped my combo since I boarded out EE) but does pretty much nothing while I kill him with Trinket Mages & Meddling Mage.

Match 2 vs Miracles
    G1 We beat each other down, I get him to 2 before with fetch -> Top he finds a Snapcaster to counter something via CB & having just the removal spell to win the race.
    G2 I have an early CB-Lock and he doesn't do a whole lot.
    G3 We timeout.

Match 3 vs 12Post
    G1 I play 2 Dig through time, 4 Ponder and 2 or 3 Brainstorms trying to find a Spellbomb/Trinket Mage but fail for a long time, one turn before I have everything I need and can combo off he finds his pithing needle and I'm unable to find an EE and I'm unable to race him.
    G2 Magus of the Moon wins, backed up by some counters (he unfortunately did have his Island)
    G3 I have an early CB-lock but he has an early Karn which I can't counter.. I hope he kills my CB but choses my 4th land, denying me my 4th mana to kill him next turn.. I'm unable to find another land for a while or a Brainstorm to play the Salvager via LED.. Karn kills 2 more lands and by the time I finally kill him he just plays the next Karn.
    In this game I made a mistake, after he blew up my first land I tapped out to play a Trinket Mage trying to pressure Karn at least a little bit (which was bad thinking) instead of topping to find a cantrip/the next land since Karn couldn't blew up another land right away anyway..

Match 4 vs Patriot
    2 easy games since they cant do a whole lot.. G2 he makes a grave mistake with Pithing Needle naming LED.. though it wouldn't have mattered since I could've just beat him down with my 2 creatures anyway since he had nothing.

Match 5 vs Burn
    G1 I'm dead turn 3.
    G2 Despite CB & FoW I'm dead turn 4.
    Timely Reinforcment wasnt drawn in time.

At this point I dropped to play some rounds against a friend playing ANT going 6-0 (3 preboard, 3 postboard). Preboard I'm playing pretty much a 1 card combo deck which is just unfair..
    All in all I did not play perfectly but the deck was still fine and I'd play it pretty much the same way again.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Timely Reinforcement in the last sideboard slots expecting UR-Delver/Burn and wanted to play 1 Sunbeam Spellbomb maindeck.
    I like the idea of Timely Reinforcements, I may test that in the Imperial build. I'm also always tempted by Sunbeam Spellbomb but I haven't figured out how to make room yet.

Match 2 vs Miracles
    G3 We timeout.
    The Imperial version also has the tendency to go really long against Miracles. I don't think there's much we can do except play fast and tight.

Match 3 vs 12Post
    G1 I play 2 Dig through time, 4 Ponder and 2 or 3 Brainstorms trying to find a Spellbomb/Trinket Mage but fail for a long time, one turn before I have everything I need and can combo off he finds his pithing needle and I'm unable to find an EE and I'm unable to race him.
    This scenario speaks to what I think is one of the defining differences between the Imperial build and your UW counterspell build - the combo threat density is much higher in the Imperial version while the filtering density is lower. How often do you find your cantrips hitting air? Maybe the cantrip count is 1-2x too high?

At this point I dropped to play some rounds against a friend playing ANT going 6-0 (3 preboard, 3 postboard). Preboard I'm playing pretty much a 1 card combo deck which is just unfair..
    Another defining difference - the Imperial version most certainly doesn't just go 6-0 against ANT without getting extremely lucky. Granted, Storm isn't seeing much play (or success) in my meta or the broader US meta, so I'll echo your thoughts on Reanimator/Dredge in regards to Storm. I would not play the Imperial version in a Storm-heavy meta.

The tradeoff between our two quite different versions is, as I see it: the Imperial version plays acceleration and can repeatedly jam 3-casting cost tutors and Salvagers starting as early as turn two while often naturally drawing into LEDs and/or spellbombs, while your build plays a much heavier control role to force the game past turn 4 (the earliest it can cast Salvagers). The UW build is reliant its cantrips to assemble the whole combo over a longer period of time. Thus, it makes a lot of sense that the 12-post matchup for UW seems worse than for Imperial, since 12-post gets exponentially better the longer the game goes on - UW can't close out games quickly. Imperial can, but at the expense of being much weaker to fast combo decks like Storm.

Your summarization hits it pretty well.
    It doesn't happen often that I'm hitting nothing with all those cantrips.. and I think needing one of 6 cards (!) and not finding it seeing that many cards can be talked up to variance..

Nonetheless I agree that a combo-heavy approach would've been way better in the 12post Matchup but even with the control version it should be doable with better play or more concentrating on the Magus?

And I can't speak for Dredge which pretty much died out here but yeah, Reanimator, Sneakshow and Storm are all fine matchups which does come in handy since here in Germany a lot of combo is running around :P

I'm just waiting for a human Reclamation Sage so those bad Disenchants can get cutted and improve the matchup further against Null Rod & Miracles.

Speaking of the Miracle Matchup:
    Yes it does get really grindy since if they have a Counterbalance and you can't get rid of it, you won't combo off.
    Even if they don't have the CB you have to be careful going in fearing Terminus. These most of the time makes the beatdown strategy plan A but our creatures are rather few & small needing a lot of time giving them enough to halt our assault further between StP, SCM and even Jace.. (Not even speaking of Terminus here..).
    If only Warpriest of Thune could destroy Null Rods..

Thread Information