Thread: [Deck] Monowhite Pillowfort

[Deck] Monowhite Pillowfort

The deck is a bit odd, but usually does pretty well. Also, because so few people use enchantment hate mainboard, I take a lot of game ones. Back to Nature is killer against me, but few run it and for those that do, I have Nevermore. Suggestions and feedback are always welcome.

Mainboard:

Lands:
    3x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    20x Plains

Enchantments:
    4x Ghostly Prison
    4x Leyline of Sanctity
    1x Nevermore
    4x Oblivion Ring
    4x Porphyry Nodes
    3x Rest in Peace
    4x Runed Halo
    4x Sigil of the Empty Throne
    1x Sphere of Safety
    3x Suppression Field

Sorcery:
    4x Idyllic Tutor
    1x Entreat the Angels

Sideboard:
    3x Heliod, God of the Sun
    3x Nevermore
    4x Path to Exile
    1x Rest in Peace
    4x Stony Silence

Ideas:
    I have been thinking about playing a few utility lands (mainly Tectonic Edge or Ghost Quater) but it is crucial that I get my white and a hand where my only lands are Nykthos and Tec Edge, is an auto-mulligan.

JOU will be featuring Banishing Light and having another O-Ring might tempt me to shake up the Main or Sideboard.

I kind of wish I could splash a color, mainly black, for hand disruption (Thoughtsieze, Inquisition of Kozilek) as an insurance against what they may sideboard in against me (looking at you Back to Nature!), but I don't think that there is enough incentive because it would likely hurt the consistency more than it would help me beat your sideboard.

Card Choices:
    Lands:
    Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx: especially with Leyline of Sanctity, this thing can pump out a lot of mana quick and provide for a huge Entreat the Angels.

Ghostly Prison: stops a lot of creature based aggro decks like Zoo

Leyline of Sanctity: stops a lot of things like hand disruption and burn

Oblivion Ring: take down nearly any threat for 2W? I like that deal

Porphyry Nodes: against creatures, on the draw, playing this turn one against Zoo kind of makes them cry.

Rest in Peace: I would run this in the sideboard, but it stops so much. Weakening Tarmogoyf and stopping Snapcasters are enough for me

Runed Halo: really good against Bogles, infect and combo decks, but useful in almost all matchups, my favorite is against Celestial Colonnades

Sigil of the Empty Throne: my main win con

Sphere of Safety: when ghost prisons just aren't enough

Suppression Field: usually finds its uses, but not as good now that DRS is out, I will probably replace this with Banishing Light

Idyllic Tutor: gets me what I need.

Entreat the Angels: a back up win con or win more card, either way.

Heliod, God of the Sun: good against creature decks, I usually have the devotion so he acts as a big blocker. Also with Nykthos, can be a win con.

Nevermore: stops almost all combo decks/linear strategies

Path to Exile: no creature for you

Rest in Peace: good against GY

Stony Silence: stops artifacts.
    Last edited by AgrusKos,EnforcerofTruth; 04-24-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

Re: [Deck] Monowhite Pillowfort

Is this just this?
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

That's not where I got it from, but yeah, they are quite similar. This is a deck me and a few friends have been working on. Thanks for directing me to that thread though.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by AgrusKos,EnforcerofTruth View Post
    That's not where I got it from, but yeah, they are quite similar. This is a deck me and a few friends have been working on. Thanks for directing me to that thread though.
    If you cut Suppression Field, there's no reason to stick to monowhite and then I think you should splash green for Kruphix's Insight for a major draw spell.

Would Luminarch Ascension be better as a win condition than sigil? You definitely have the tools to stop your opponent from dealing damage to you. It's also a lot more relevant once you run out of cards in your hand and have all your lock pieces out.

Quote Originally Posted by [SLAYER]chaos View Post
    Would Luminarch Ascension be better as a win condition than sigil? You definitely have the tools to stop your opponent from dealing damage to you. It's also a lot more relevant once you run out of cards in your hand and have all your lock pieces out.
    Possibly, but Luminarch Ascension is more conditional, where as all I have to do to get Angels with Sigil is play the game.

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

I'm not sure you've read the final line on Porphyry Nodes. Playing it T1 seems really bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

Quote Originally Posted by YamiJoey View Post
    I'm not sure you've read the final line on Porphyry Nodes. Playing it T1 seems really bad.
    I have read the card, but if you are on the draw, you can still play it turn one.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I played against two versions of this deck at a GPT. One splashed red for blood moon and the other was monowhite. I was playing zoo and I lost all games, its incredible against aggro. The monowhite version played Heliod as the win condition and that seems really good. I don't have decklists (sorry!) but they were similar enough to those listed here that changes were probably metagame based or just personal preference. This deck could become seriously good, it has that potential. Too bad zoo wasn't more prevalent (I was the only one playing it) because that matchup is gravy for this deck.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by AgrusKos,EnforcerofTruth View Post
    I have read the card, but if you are on the draw, you can still play it turn one.
    At that point, it just kills their 1 drop, they dont play anything on turn 2, then it dies. I supposed that's better than casting Chained to the Rocks because it buys you that extra turn too.

The problem with Sigil, especially as a 4-of, is that:
    1) it's an expensive non-interactive card that clogs up your hand until you have 5 mana AND already have control of the game (otherwise you'd probably spend mana on something more interactive)
    2) it requires resolving spells to make creatures, like enchantress, except you have no draw engine to keep filling your hand with enchantments. if you start topdecking land you might only get one angel and then stall hard.

The good thing about either Luminarch or Heliod as win conditions are that they don't depend on your draws. I would suggest a planeswalker like Gideon Jura if not for the fact that Ghostly Prison/Runed Halo don't stop them from beating up on Gideon.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

The list seems a bit odd to me. While I feel a lot of the cards are really strong in certain situations, it kind of has the feel of a gigantic sideboard rather than a focused deck. Maybe that's OK, as the lack of opposing enchantment hate may provide enough wins in game 1 that adjusting after board will be sufficient.

In general, I feel like fewer 4-ofs might be a step in the right direction. Runed Halo, for example, seems really good against Storm (unbeatable game 1, actually), but fairly week against decks with diverse threats, such as Jund.

Journey to Nowhere might be useful as an early play against aggro decks.

Sigil of the Empty Throne seems totally reasonable, though slow. Ultimately, the best thing Sigil has going for it, in my opinion, is that it plays well with Suppression Field, while most other enchantment win-cons do not (e.g. Mobilization, Sacred Mesa, Heliod, God of the Sun. If we forget about Suppression Field though, Genju of the Fields peaks my interest, as it provides another solid anti-aggro card, a win-con, and a cheap, recastable enchantment to combo with Sigil. It also combos with Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, allowing you to add multiple "gain life" abilities, thus turning 2 combat damage into 4+ life. Speaking of Nykthos, it obviously combines well with Entreat the Angels, but seeing as you have no way to sculpt the top of the deck, a single White Sun's Zenith might be a worthwhile consideration.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Has anybody tried these two together, maybe in casual?

Reverence
    Godhead of Awe

Semi-humility and a potential moat variant
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Has anybody tried these two together, maybe in casual?

Reverence
    Godhead of Awe

Semi-humility and a potential moat variant
    :O

I like it.

But why is it better than just controlling a Blazing Archon through some kind of reanimatey cheaty goodness?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

It isn't any better...I wish godhead did a real humility and took away abilities too.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 04-26-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information