Thread: Help starting up a proxy tournament

Feb 2012
    Minnesota

Help starting up a proxy tournament

So in my little group of friends I'm the "magic dude". I have the mana symbols tatted on one arm and phyrxian emblem on the other. I love legacy, its my favorite format. Well legacy has a huge price barrier, and having a seven year old at 22 makes life a bit difficult on the whole buying cards front. I have a carded tier deck, and I proxy out about 10 decks, in sleeves. Now these are proxied off of magiccards.info, so they look good. There was discussion on starting a proxy league and I went out and did a bunch of decks for people to borrow. Apparently, by me doing stuff for them for free ($10 sleeves, $10 at kinkos printing proxies, thats $20 a deck) makes it so I have an unfair advantage against them as "i always know all cards in their hands, ever". I tell them to proxy their own, but no. Just negativiy. The reason I know their decks is because I study legacy and play in tournaments. Not because I proxied them. I intitally had 6/7 people interested in this but over time the popular opinion became: Vastros is a cheater and always knows our hands and thats why he wins, or (I play TES,carded.) that Vastros just proxied out decks that are bad against his deck. My proxy meta is Miracles, Reanimator, BUG Delver, RUg Delver, Dredge, Merfolk, Esper Stoneblade, and soon i was going to add imperial painter.

Yeah.... REALLY good for a combo deck. 75% decks have counters/FOW.

I would really love to have this thing start kicking off and still have 2 players besides myself interested. I kind of wanted opinions on what you guys think I should do to increase people comming and getting the word out as my initial group kinda went kaput.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: Help starting up a proxy tournament

Sounds like you chose or stumbled upon a group of immature people who didn't appreciate the gift they were given. My advice is to find people who actually own Legacy cards. If a person owns cards, he or she has more of a connection to the format. I don't know where you are in Minnesota, but there might be a nearby shop where you can grow a scene or connect with an existing one.

Feb 2012
    Minnesota

I'm in the twin cities, so there are plenty of options. I just feel like going into to card shops and saying "HEY GUISE COME TO MAH TOURNAMENT NUT HURR!" Is deuchy, and don't want a bad rep as I enjoy the gaming scene I'm in.

Yes they are immature brats but they are my friends XD

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

I would just go to some of the shops in the twin cities. The Mead Hall has good Wednesday legacy ($100 for 4-0) and Hi-Score Games has some pretty good sized tournaments once a month on Saturday.

As for your local scene, I agree with the other people that they're just asking immature. You need to convince them that skill (and not just luck) is a large component for playing Magic. If you can't do that, it's a lost cause. You could also ask them what decks they might be interested in playing, and making proxy decks for them that way. They might be too lazy to make their own, but they might just be interested enough to find a deck they want to play.

Also, make sure to play 4 Gitaxian Probes so you have more chances to legitimately see their hands.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Ask them which deck they want you to play and then play it. Let them play your TES. That will show them. They won't be able to get off the ground and that should give them the heads up.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Feb 2012
    Minnesota

I wish it was that logical, It doesnt matter what deck I play. I will use every single deck, it doesnt matter. They are that immature, and it irks me. I don't want to scalp off my local tournaments (I do love mead hall, and Legion) but I will start asking a few people that I like.

Thread Information