Thread: [Podcast] - Legacy Breakfast - Episode 27 - The Banned List

May 2012
    Dudley, UK

[Podcast] - Legacy Breakfast - Episode 27 - The Banned List

We take a look at the banned list. Why certain cards were banned, what cards could be potentially banned/unbanned and thinking to if certain cards were unbanned, where they would find themselves in legacy. We end up saying "See Vintage" a lot too...

http://legacybreakfast.wordpress.com...e-banned-list/

Don't forget about our competition to win a James-Griffin altered Brainstorm:
    http://legacybreakfast.wordpress.com...ed-brainstorm/

Your hosts:
    Stuart Pullin
    Stuart Taylor

Email us: legacybreakfast at gmail dot com
    RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LegacyBreakfast
    Find us on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/...st/id720253198
    Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/legacybreakfast

Jul 2011
    California

Re: [Podcast] - Legacy Breakfast - Episode 27 - The Banned List

When clicking on MP3 link: 404 - File not found
    Legacy: Miracles

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Cynicath View Post
    When clicking on MP3 link: 404 - File not found
    My iPhone podcast app won't let me play this either :/

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

I just tried it on my computer and it is playing for me now...

http://legacybreakfast.wordpress.com...e-banned-list/

If you are going to talk about banned cards you really need to know what they do first!
    Also, from what I recall, Flash has its errata removed in 2007 not added which made it into the broken card that needed to be banned...
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I'm shocked how many obvious interactions were missed in this podcast. Just a few:

1) Skullclamp
    How can you not lose a single word about how dumb that card would be in Elves?

2) Tinker
    This is not a card for S&T to support. It's a hyper-efficient kill-option for any deck running SDT+Counterbalance

3) Survival
    It wasn't banned because of Vengevine, but because running a creature deck without SotF would be wrong and thus restricts creature design. Imagine this in Elves again.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Oct 2010
    Kingswinford, UK

Yoooooo Guys. First up, thanks for the feedback! Its good to know people are still listening :).

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    [COLOR="#800080"]

If you are going to talk about banned cards you really need to know what they do first!
    Also, from what I recall, Flash has its errata removed in 2007 not added which made it into the broken card that needed to be banned...
    Yeah this is true. We try to make them (legacy) beginner friendly, so it would have been good to explain more about each cards functionality. I think we were just both super conscious about the time, and so might have rushed through some. We try to keep it to under an hour, and time was very quickly running away from us...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I'm shocked how many obvious interactions were missed in this podcast. Just a few:

1) Skullclamp
    How can you not lose a single word about how dumb that card would be in Elves?

2) Tinker
    This is not a card for S&T to support. It's a hyper-efficient kill-option for any deck running SDT+Counterbalance

3) Survival
    It wasn't banned because of Vengevine, but because running a creature deck without SotF would be wrong and thus restricts creature design. Imagine this in Elves again.
    1) We did mention elves and skullclamps.

2) This is undoubtedly true. I think it would be really interesting (although catastrophic) if tinker were to be unbanned. I suspect it would spawn new things rather than slotting in neatly to existing archetypes... Maybe some hybrid esper Tezz counterbalance or something? Could be fun (or broken beyond belief :)).

3) I really do think that survival was banned because of vengevine. Survival had been around as a card for a very long time, but saw no play (outside of Angry Tradewind Survival - already an antiquated archetype by the time I started playing legacy) previous to its printing. The card enabled 12-16 damage while doing normal survivally things, which is easily enough to push it over the edge. They chose to ban the enabler rather than the culprit, which is also probably right. I remember the card generally being considered too slow for elves at the time. There was a build with it in (which sometimes also ran NOpro) which is pretty similar looking to modern lists (only mono-green), but elves wanted to combo T2 with summers pacts and emerkul/grapeshot on the top end, rather than tap out for an enchantment. This is also probably why elves wasnt tier 1 for the longest time :). I agree that if you were to unban it now, it would be very strong, as the format is slow enough that it could be properly abused and would reduce diversity.

Wellllllll thanks again guys for listening/feedback. Dont forget to leave us a review on iTunes if you want a shot at the competition!

The Spanish Tunnel King.

Aug 2009
    Finland

Too bad the episode isn't working on iTunes :( Any chance you will upload it there again?

May 2012
    Dudley, UK

Hi Guys,

As stu said above - thanks for the feedback. With hindsight, it might have been better to cover that topic in two parts. That way we wouldn't have had to rush so much towards the end.

I've edited the post on the website and tried downloading Episode 27 from iTunes. It appears to be working as normal now. Apologies for the delays!

Stu P

May 2012
    Dudley, UK

Quote Originally Posted by yugular View Post
    Too bad the episode isn't working on iTunes :( Any chance you will upload it there again?
    See above- hopefully it should be working now :)

May 2012
    Dudley, UK

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    There was a stray "s" in the link! Now working... Thanks for the heads up!

You should review the ante cards, they are really important (?). Demonic Consultation is sweet, but isn't an ante card. I think Contract from Below is what you were looking for?

Edit: White Weenie didn't play 4 Balance. White Weenie lived in absolute terror of Balance. "You'd never main deck Disenchant" <sigh>.

Thread Information