The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Banned and Restricted list update

Announcement date: April 28, 2014

Standard, Modern, Extended, Legacy, Vintage:
    No changes

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...ly/feature/297

I'm disappointed with this outcome, but it's basically what I was expecting, so I'm not surprised.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Re: Banned and Restricted list update

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    I'm disappointed with this outcome, but it's basically what I was expecting, so I'm not surprised.
    I know, right? Sleight of Hand is just asking for it.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Really would like to see an unban or two...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Hands up anyone who is legitimately surprised by this announcement. *Crosses arms*
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Hands up anyone who is legitimately surprised by this announcement. *Crosses arms*
    Statistically, the most changes made during the last 12 years were within the June and September updates (aka not between blocks) so I had no hope for the one today anyways
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

What really needed to be changed? 14 decks are taking up between 3% and 9% of the meta. When's the last time the 14 most popular decks in Legacy only composed 65% of all decks placing?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    What really needed to be changed? 14 decks are taking up between 3% and 9% of the meta. When's the last time the 14 most popular decks in Legacy only composed 65% of all decks placing?
    What about taking all decks into account that blend over from Delver into SFM and look at their total %? It hilarious to claim Esperblade and Deathblade independant decks
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

One deck has DRS and one deck runs sweepers. TA and RUG Delver aren't really mirrors of each other either are they? Same with UWR Delver. We don't group TES and ANT together, but grouping any deck with Delver together is okay? All SFM decks are the same too?

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

If blue based Delver wasn't so oppressive in the US tournament circuit, it would be different. As is, the "blue shell" is coalescing more and more into Delver centric lists.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    If blue based Delver wasn't so oppressive in the US tournament circuit, it would be different. As is, the "blue shell" is coalescing more and more into Delver centric lists.
    It would be kind of hilarious if Delver was banned. I would love to see all the butthurt.

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

One deck has DRS and one deck runs sweepers. TA and RUG Delver aren't really mirrors of each other either are they? Same with UWR Delver. We don't group TES and ANT together, but grouping any deck with Delver together is okay? All SFM decks are the same too?
    In my view the difference between Deathblade and Esperblade is as minute as the difference between Snapcaster Miracles and RiP Miracles. Maybe less. Same strategy, slightly different tactics. Again in my view a lot of the Legacy decks seem to be slight variations of each other, the only differences being tactical differences/preferences which manifest themselves as different color splashes. This is especially present in Delver decks and blue-based SFM decks because of ease of splashability (not sure if this is a word) with these core strategies and cards in them. Although I occasionally play with these decks myself I would have expected (wished) banhammer to swing towards Delver, SFM or TNN.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I think of all those cards, delver is the worst. The threat that it brings to the table is very strong. Stone forge is extremely powerful as well, however, I think that stone forge has a more positive impact by allowing weenie decks with little shitty men to not be completely out classed by a single tarmogoyf or something. Also while the card isn't extremely difficult to play, at the very least, it presents a few options of how to proceed with your game plan which is somewhat skill testing
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I think of all those cards, delver is the worst. The threat that it brings to the table is very strong. Stone forge is extremely powerful as well, however, I think that stone forge has a more positive impact by allowing weenie decks with little shitty men to not be completely out classed by a single tarmogoyf or something. Also while the card isn't extremely difficult to play, at the very least, it presents a few options of how to proceed with your game plan which is somewhat skill testing
    To be honest, at least Delver promotes several different types of strategies as opposed to (and I can't believe I'm saying this after arguing for both to stay unbanned) SFM+TNN. Not saying it isn't strong (lightning bolt on an evasive stick? yeah, nothing strong about that >_>)

RUG, BUG, UWR, and UR Delver all play fairly different from each other as their common core (Delver+Force of Will+Daze+Brainstorm) isn't as demanding in terms of deck design as, say TNN+SFM Decks (SFM+TNN+Equipment+Force of Will+Brainstorm+other control elements), which all play fairly similarly in the sense that if you equip an equipment to TNN, chances are likely you will win.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Heck, I swear ANT and TES are grouped together in statistics (some prople can't even tell the difference at all). Just look at SCG or mtgtop8.

It makes no sense to finely differ the SFM/Delver archetypes then, which are often more similar than storm variants (grouping storm together is kinda ok for me). Getting split up statistics just because you run SCM and Lingering souls instead of DRS and TNN is lying in regards of format diversity and performance. The strategy and core is exactly the same, you just make adjustments to playstyle and expected metagame ... basically the same way ANT and TES work, thus getting grouped together.

If you group together all variants in direction of DRS+Delver and another one with SFM+Delver you get a much more acurate image of the metagame. Higgs made a nice point about the diversity- & name-madness in regards to miracles. Why do people think they created something new by just switching 1-2 playsets within a working core?

Edit: There is no strategic variance within Delver. Just play Delver and throw all your disruption to your opponents head while riding the delver to victory

Edit 2: the Delver core is Delver+Brainstorm+Ponder+Daze+FoW+Wasteland aka 24/60 cards fix, add ~16 lands and have 40/60. From this point on you can splash up to 2 colors for additional threats (SFM, Goyf, TNN) or removal (Bolts, StoP, Disfigure) and your deck is finished

Join us at Facebook!

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Not every stones forge deck is playing TNN, or even blue for that matter.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Wait, did Delver start comprising 70% of the meta when I wasn't looking?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

TNN is the worst offender since it denies you most basic interactions in Magic.

What I dislike about Delver is how heavy they're favored when they're on the play. Early double Delver combined with denial is such a beating when you're behind mana-wise.

While SFM is also very powerful, it didn't cause permanent format shifts towards blue like TNN and especially Delver did.

Imho, Delver is the starting point where the format went into a wrong, overall less fun direction.

But what would happen if Delver was suddenly gone? Which decks would benefit from it, which decks would suffer (aside from Delver decks)? Wanting Delver gone is one thing, but would it improve the format?

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

Not every stones forge deck is playing TNN, or even blue for that matter.
    Yes, my categorization was basically for blue-based SFM decks.
    Edit: Quote added because too late to reply.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Imho, Delver is the starting point where the format went into a wrong, overall less fun direction.
    It seems like everything that's wrong with Black Vise is also wrong with delver (and there are other issues that apply just to delver.)

Wizards gave the middle finger to all those ridiculous clowns waving the unban survival flag. No news is good news.

Thread Information