Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: The Three Most Important Decks Ever Built

[Article]Eternal Europe: The Three Most Important Decks Ever Built

A little history tour this time:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...ver-Built.html

Let me know what you think!

PS: Sorry for the delay, seems I've caught some random virus and will be spending the day in bed :/
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: The Three Most Important Decks Ever Built

Funny story about geeba, Jay actually had a mono curve deck in almost every color he happened to loan that one to Paul Sligh that fateful morning at the now destroyed and built over Castlegate Hotel in Atlanta Georgia. The blue one was competitive also, it's removal consisted of stuff like Essence Flare. Which ... in 1995 read "During it's controllers next upkeep, bury target pump knight".

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Your choice of decks was predictable
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Predictable yes; however a nice recap and potentially interesting for all those new players who do not know any Magic history.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

How could they not be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    How could they not be?
    Kind of the joke here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Kind of the joke here.
    Well who the hell can even tell anymore. LOL, ever since hipsters were allowed to hold regular jobs in America the whole of communication has just been obfuscated behind a wall of "srs not srs" and "ironic </sarcasm> tags" and shit. If I didn't already know where I was on the autism spectrum I'd need to buy a test kit at CVS, just to make sure my problem wasn't actually me.

On the other hand, I totally get it now

sent from phone, don't be a dick
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Well who the hell can even tell anymore. LOL, ever since hipsters were allowed to hold regular jobs in America the whole of communication has just been obfuscated behind a wall of "srs not srs" and "ironic </sarcasm> tags" and shit. If I didn't already know where I was on the autism spectrum I'd need to buy a test kit at CVS, just to make sure my problem wasn't actually me.

On the other hand, I totally get it now

sent from phone, don't be a dick
    /Like

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

That was nice article. Thanks.

I'm not too versed in Magic history and the only deck I recognize there is the sligh deck. Wouldn't the Necropotence deck from Black Summer could as a historically significant/importance deck?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke is Good View Post
    I'm not too versed in Magic history and the only deck I recognize there is the sligh deck. Wouldn't the Necropotence deck from Black Summer could as a historically significant/importance deck?
    I think Bloom predates Necro as the engine/combo deck.

I was expecting these three: Necropotence, Academy, Flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

THE DECK and ProsBloom were easy picks as there are the grandfathers of control and combo, but I'm not sure about Sligh here. I'm not sure if that concept was really new and outstanding at that time as I remember a lot of decks build around Kird Ape and Burn which were the ancestors of Zoo.

There might have been a better pick, but overall the choices are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    I was expecting these three: Necropotence, Academy, Flash.
    Why would you? Those weren't outstanding in history but mistakes for a season. Necro and Academy mirrors were plain boring and I'm sure people who did not play that decks overestimate their power and importance. Removing Flashs Power level errata was another brainfart by WotC after they pushed creatures with powercreep.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrio View Post
    I think Bloom predates Necro as the engine/combo deck.
    Necro wasn't really a engine/combo deck, just a deck that featured cheap creatures and disruptive elements with the ability to refill the hand very quickly. Necro also predates Bloom in magic history.

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

But which Necro deck are talking about here? The Necro control deck with Hypnotic Spectres etc., the T2 Necro deck with Yawg Will and Bottle Gnomes or the Extended Necro deck with Unmask, Demonic Consultation and Drain Life?

Edit: If memory serves me right, when ProsBloom was around Necropotence was this black control deck and wasn't a revolutionary big thing. I'd be glad if someone who remembers better could refresh my memory.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I like history articles. I like the Carsten chose to celebrate what we have learned about the game with his.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jun 2012
    Argentina

i want to buy all the cards for pros bloom and play it in a casual tournament or 4 fun with friends. now

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by SaberTooth View Post
    i want to buy all the cards for pros bloom and play it in a casual tournament or 4 fun with friends. now

Well, wait...

I meant: +1

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    THE DECK and ProsBloom were easy picks as there are the grandfathers of control and combo, but I'm not sure about Sligh here. I'm not sure if that concept was really new and outstanding at that time as I remember a lot of decks build around Kird Ape and Burn which were the ancestors of Zoo.

There might have been a better pick, but overall the choices are fine.
    Depends.
    The Kird Ape decks, even those other than Erhnam and Burn Em, like the Zoo and such, were quite different than Sligh. They used a bit fragile/unreliable manabase that could be sometimes easily disrupted by a well placed Strip Mine, of course they also sported lots of cheap creatures (I mean the builds close to Zoo, with Sav Lions, Spectral Bears, Kird Ape, Ghazbán Ogre or Scryb Sprites), but had some ammount of ctrl elements be it StP, Geddon, WOrb and of course burn. Sligh, a deck purely offensive and with rock-solid manabase and straightforward plan and awful creatures with built-in anti-synergies... that was quite a different animal than any deck whose cheapest creature was White Knight, Elvish Archers or Sedge Troll.
    Sligh definitely wasn't the first aggro deck, but the determinancy of the gameplan (I hope you get what I mean) was amazing, esp. next to many of the usual creature decks of past, that come out of the comparison as a mere conformists and compromisionists. /finishes the beer

ProsBloom was the original combo strategy. It predates even Combo Winter. Plus, it has one of the biggest bluffs in the game's history behind it.

And yes, Necro was primarily the domain of control decks of the era.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

About the only thing I can think of that was important for modern day Magic about Necropotence decks from Black Summer, was literally the card Necropotence being absurdly powerful in its own right. The remainder of the deck was more akin to the other decks in the format: aggressive elements, removal, and ways to recoup life-loss a-la Drain Life and Ivory Tower.

Compared to a deck like ProsBloom, or Trix - the combo (engine) elements in these decks all focus on using all resources to their greatest effect while executing a simple multi-card interaction.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thread Information