Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does Standstill see no play?

Re: Why does Standstill see no play?

Standstill is a card that REQUIRES you to be Even at tempo, or Leading in tempo. It also renders Brainstorm dead if you have it in play.

Decks that can utilize Standstill:
    1. Merfolk
    2. Dread Still
    3. BUG Still
    4. Affinity

Notice how these decks are either Aggro or Combo, this is because they can take the tempo lead early, or be even with the opponent.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Never heard of it in Affinity, but it seems pretty sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Standstill is a card that REQUIRES you to be Even at tempo, or Leading in tempo. It also renders Brainstorm dead if you have it in play.

1. Merfolk
    2. Dread Still
    3. BUG Still
    4. Affinity

Notice how these decks are either Aggro or Combo, this is because they can take the tempo lead early, or be even with the opponent.
    Is there any record of Standstill Affinity doing well? Sounds like a fun idea. Now I'm curious...
    Legacy decks-
    MUD

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."

"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."

Tried it about a year a go. Also included Ninja of the Deep Hours (which is sick under Standstill too, Ornithopter into Standstill = sure). Ultimately it fell short of being amazing. It has some potential to be explosive but most of the time you are better of playing real cards in the place of Ornithopters and such. And anyway it was no where near as good as DreadStill :P I got the idea from some Affinity thread in here, might post a link later if I find it.

EDIT, found: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...light=affinity

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Standstill is a busted card. The problem these days is there's only a limited number of decks that can abuse this beast to it's full extent...all of which are unpopular decks atm. But the card itself is really strong and can be well positioned in any metagame if you build around it.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Roodmistah View Post
    Standstill is a busted card. The problem these days is there's only a limited number of decks that can abuse this beast to it's full extent...all of which are unpopular decks atm. But the card itself is really strong and can be well positioned in any metagame if you build around it.
    Build around Standstill in a metagame defined by Delver, SFM, DRS, SCM and Clique will backfire too often, leaving you wishing the card actually does something for 2 mana. I don't even want to talk about how well-documented it is how to play around Standstill from the start
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Build around Standstill in a metagame defined by Delver, SFM, DRS, SCM and Clique will backfire too often, leaving you wishing the card actually does something for 2 mana. I don't even want to talk about how well-documented it is how to play around Standstill from the start
    People haven't played against it in quite a while so they have no clue how to play against it. They don't know whether to crack it immediately, play a waiting game, etc. etc.

Standstill is poorly positioned against tempo decks. Namely delver of secrets as public enemy number 1 against it. Hell deathrite shaman put quite a damper on the card as well.

Agree that it's a busted card though. Anything that draws 3 for 2 or less is pretty insane typically if utilized correctly.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post

1. Merfolk
    2. Dread Still
    3. BUG Still
    4. Affinity

I wouldn't classify Dreadstill as aggro or combo; it's really more of a tempo deck that happens to have a combo in it.

Thread Information