Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does Standstill see no play?

Why does Standstill see no play?

I have been wondering why the card has fallen into oblivion, for the current meta actually provides a comparatively welcome enviroment for the card. Standstill had been dismissed when the format was rife with Aether Vials, Mutavaults and low-costed beater such as Wild Nacatl, Kird Ape and Goblin Lackey. However, the circumstances have changed significantly, neither Aether Vial nor Mutavaults are played frequently or even at all. The only popular deck playing Vial is Death and Taxes and even that has been on decline for some time now as far as I know. Mutavaults haven't seen much play since Merfolk was pushed out of the format. And as for the low-costed beaters, one has to note the former ones have basically been replaced by new ones fullfilling their role (e.g. Delver of Secrets and Deathrite Shaman instead of Wild Nacatl and perhaps Vial?), so it seems wrong to think that Standstill got worse due to the alleged rise of low-costed threats in general.

Of course I do have my assumptions about the general absence of Standstill in the current format, some of them are rather superficial while some other possible reasons are kind of subtile. To give some impulses to the debate, I give a few conceivable reasons:

- On itself, Standstill doesn't directly contribute to the execution of a strategy. For a control deck, it is of the utmost importance to have answers to a preferably wide range of strategies and threats. In past few years, the format and its threats have diversified and it has become hard to cover all decks, strategies, threats and combinations that you might have to compete against. It is really hard to address both Stoneforge.decs, Counterbalance, Delver, Shrouded Creatures (TNN/Mongoose) and Storm Combo, Punishing Fire and graveyard strategies. For this reason, control decks have become very tight and almost every card has to serve as an answer. However, because this still doesn't suffice, people have resorted to cards that have very flexible applications, e.g. Counterbalance and Cunning Wish. Standstill isn't an answer to anything and often feels like a win-more card. If you're on a aggro-control deck, it's often better to just draw more creatures than Standstill, which, as I said, doesn't contribute to your strategy on itself.

- If you're playing a control deck (which you are most likely if you consider SS), it obliges you to play a very vulnerable manabase. This has always been the case, but the issue has become more severe, for threats and tempo strategies have become way more efficient, mainly due to the existence of Delver of Secrets. Getting wastelanded prevents you from casting your answers while you're getting into critical range of direct damage (Bolt and Shaman) and threats being more efficient than in the past. The necessity of playing manlands (and probably also some Wasteland and extra duals to compensate the lots of colorless mana) and the suspectibiliy to land desctruction alone is probably another reason why people abstain from using Standstill.

- It doesn't seem too off that people simply neglect Standstill simply because of the reason that their is currently no deck that does well at known tournaments. It is well-known that most Players just play what has been successful in major Events or what has been acknowledged to be taken seriously.

I appreciate every comment and hope that we can have a productive discussion on this subject.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Re: Why does Standstill see no play?

Standstill definitely has issues in the format these days. You touched on one of the biggest reasons, in my opinion, why it sees practically no play. The fact that it isn't an answer to anything, means it's close to a dead draw if you're behind on board. That has always been the case, but with decks being as streamlined and consistent as they are these days, you can only afford so many situational cards. The building restraints it places on you can also be pretty painful, mainly the manabase thing you mentioned.

It is still a powerful card with some ridiculous potential. For example playing either Sensei's Top, Delver, or Aether Vial turn 1 followed by a resolved Standstill is most likely game over. So I'm not too sure of this question either actually, like I said it is situational but very powerful.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Delver is probably a huge reason. I did enjoy playing Dreadstill and going T1 delver into standstill though. That was an almost unbeatable opening, especially if I herp derp blind flip the delver.

T1 Island, Delver
    T2 Flip delver, Mishras Factory, Standstill attack for 3. Suddenly you are on a 3 turn clock with a standstill in play. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Dreadstill 4lyfe dawg!

After thinking about it a little more, I think Jace is another big thing going against Standstill. He's a CA engine, stall piece, and wincon all in one. All that without having to play awkward turtle manabases.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Also an uncounterable answer in decay gives them a way that you cant interact with to kill the threat. Not amazing, but it is relevant.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

There are various reasons:

1-drop threats: Delver, Deathrite Shaman, Nimble Mongoose, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Guide, Mother of Runes, Aether Vial, etc.
    Flash creatures in response to casting Standstill: Snapcaster Mage, Vendilion Clique, Aven Mindcensor, Scryb Ranger, Sulfur Elemental, etc.
    Man-Lands: Mishra's Factory (often played by the Standstill player), Creeping Tarpit
    Combo decks that don't really care if you draw 3 cards since they can just sit back and play draw-go and sculpt the perfect hand and beat you regardless

Players also seem to know how to 'play around' it -- either waiting to break it at the end of your turn via Brainstorm, or just breaking it immediately if need be.

Because Standstill generally needs the deck to be built around it, this often forces you into playing some form of plodding control, often UWx or UBx, occasionally URx. These type of decks aren't always the best choice against the current Legacy metagame. BUG control decks are typically going to opt for Ancestral Vision (with the aid of Shardless Agent) as their card advantage engine.

In Vintage, you can often go Island -> Mox -> Standstill on turn 1. That line of play isn't really available in Legacy, and there are also far more decks with 1-drop threats. Ponder is often just the better card selection spell since it doesn't require any special setup and can be played when you're behind in board presence. Too often Standstill is a "win more" form of card advantage. Legacy is simply too fast right now to make a Standstill deck the best.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

BUG standstill is good, problem is if you arent very good you get draws easily (more easily than miracles even). Then theres the budget problem, this deck is one of the most expensive decks in legacy to build.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Also an uncounterable answer in decay gives them a way that you cant interact with to kill the threat. Not amazing, but it is relevant.
    If that were the only issue, wouldn't Misdirection or Divert be enough to salvage the deck? Decks with Decay generally run Decay-able cards, and many decks with Standstill run things like Top and Sylvan Library to smooth their draws under Standstill. The Top/MisD interaction seems especially profitable as an answer to "Decay your threat" under Standstill. Also AD doesn't kill True-Name Nemesis.

BUG or UWx Control lists do seem to be the natural home for the card as others have pointed out, especially now that Shardless seems to be past its prime. Maybe it'll make a comeback as non-Shardless BUG control gets optimized.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Deathrite Shaman and Delver are two pretty huge problems. In the old days, you could cast a Standstill against an unthresh-ed Nimble Mongoose or a 1/2 Tarmogoyf, because you had plenty of time to find a Mishra's Factory to stop the threat. That doesn't work against a Delver or Death and Taxes' Aether Vials, and it doesn't work against a Stoneforge Mystic if they were on the play.

I did love playing Dreadstill with Delvers, Dreadnoughts, and Standstills. That deck was awesome. The old UW Standstill lists are still what I picture as a real Legacy Control deck (although they are looooong gone, replaced by Miracles).
    InfoNinjas

Can you elaborate? (Targeting Standstill with Abrupt Decay just seems silly to me.)

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Can you elaborate? (Targeting Standstill with Abrupt Decay just seems silly to me.)
    I am pretty sure he meant if you go Theat + Standstill, they can Decay the Threat unless you draw Misdirection off the Standstill.

I actually played Landstill at SCG Dallas a few weeks ago to a decent record, but Standstill was alternately the best and worst card in the deck.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    While standstill is on the stack they respond with Decay to kill your delver
    Then both players just have lands
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Reading is obviously nota strength. I said decay as a way to kill the threat. Not the standstill.

And divert is a less good answer, because you preferably drop the standstill on T2 when they have no threat (no other legal target). Alternatively if they do have a threat, you could simply make land drops and pay for the divert

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I guess in older land still decks, the threat is factory, which can't be decayed, I'm just thinking of the delver into standstill scenario

Reading is obviously nota strength. I said decay as a way to kill the threat. Not the standstill. ...
    Thanks. Because of context I was thinking "the threat of standstill."

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    I have been wondering why the card has fallen into oblivion
    Being on the draw vs.

a 3/2 thing that costs 1, flies over and races your Factories ... also the decks playing the stupid thing have 4 Wastelands also ... sometimes they just win the game with no permanents except the naturally flipped flying landless nacatyl.

this is a problem also ...

Stillstand is great when you get it set up but it's become exceedingly difficult to get it setup with daze/delver decks making up half the legacy world ... Even on the play because tapping out to direct a bolt at a turn 1 delver is a risky play.

Edit: what tusk disciple megadeus said

Sylvan Library = Better Standstill ? Herp derp pay 12 life = draw 3 cards (over the course of a few turns though)

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Different, I'd say.

Sylvan allows you to play cards and filter/draw, whereas Standstill leaves you topdecking (unless you've got Top) and prevents you from getting any further ahead by hoping your opponent cracks it and you draw 3. But, there's many times you can't drop it Turn 2, and it turns into a "I'm going to draw 3 when you bolt my Factory," which sometimes can be good enough.

It's slow, it's conditional, and it has been outclassed in recent years. I want to play this, but its only home recently is BUG Landstill.

-Matt

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

The T2 SFM is also problematic for Standstill (on the draw) for the same reason Aether Vial screws things up.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    The T2 SFM is also problematic for Standstill (on the draw) for the same reason Aether Vial screws things up.
    Yeah, that is why I (and Nastaboi) have taken to running Disfigure, Thoughtseize, and Spell Snare in our Landstill decks.

My simpleton opinion of Standstill (which is probably largely too simple) is that it can convert your slightly better board position into Card Advantage. Playing it at parity is very dicey and could end up losing you the game, unless you know full well what you are up against or have the man lands in hand.

The problem I have found after a few months of playing with it isn't actually Delver, or Vial, per se. It is the random other decks, like Elves or Burn (or even worse UR Burn).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information