Thread: Beck // Call and Torpor Orb

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Beck / Call and Torpor Orb

So, does Beck / Call, the beck part, create a triggered ability? Isn't it still a triggered ability when a creature enters the battlefield that turn, even though it's an effect from a spell cast that turn? As such, wouldn't Torpor Orb stop this? I was told tonight at FNM that it was a "triggered spell effect," not an ability, but this just doesn't sound right to me.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Re: Beck / Call and Torpor Orb

Quote Originally Posted by Valtrix View Post
    So, does Beck / Call, the beck part, create a triggered ability? Isn't it still a triggered ability when a creature enters the battlefield that turn, even though it's an effect from a spell cast that turn? As such, wouldn't Torpor Orb stop this? I was told tonight at FNM that it was a "triggered spell effect," not an ability, but this just doesn't sound right to me.
    Well, according to the gatherer:

"If you cast Beck/Call as a fused split spell, the triggered ability it creates will be in effect when the Bird creature tokens enter the battlefield. You'll draw up to four cards."

indicating it is a triggered ability.

the wording "whenever" indcates a triggered ability and as such should be stopped by Topor Orb
    Last edited by cdr; 05-03-2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: remove guess

Re: Beck // Call and Torpor Orb

"Triggered spell effect" is not a thing that exists. Creative, but zero points for that person.

112.3c Triggered abilities have a trigger condition and an effect. They are written as “[Trigger condition], [effect],” and include (and usually begin with) the word “when,” “whenever,” or “at.”

Beck has an effect that creates a delayed triggered ability with a duration ("whenever...", "this turn"). Topor Orb will prevent the triggered ability created by Beck from triggering.

603.7. An effect may create a delayed triggered ability that can do something at a later time. A delayed triggered ability will contain “when,” “whenever,” or “at,” although that word won’t usually begin the ability.

603.7b A delayed triggered ability will trigger only once — the next time its trigger event occurs — unless it has a stated duration, such as “this turn.”
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information