Thread: Glimmervoid - each end step?

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Glimmervoid - each end step?

I'd just like to check on the wording of Glimmervoid. Does the sacrifice condition happen at the beginning of each end step? I'm unsure here because it does not say "your," but it also does not say "each." It might be old templating, so I'm not really sure here. The relevant interaction here is obviously for Hurkyl's Recall.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Re: Glimmervoid - each end step?

You are right, the condition is checked at the end of each end step.

It's older wording referring to the end step. If you look at the Oracle, it's "At the beginning of the end step, if you control no artifacts, sacrifice Glimmervoid." The trigger is checked each end step.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Another question on Glimmervoid. From my understanding this ability should only trigger at the beginning of the end step as long as its sacrifice condition is met, then again on resolution it needs to verify the condition to still be sacrificed. Is this indeed the case?
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Quote Originally Posted by Valtrix View Post
    Another question on Glimmervoid. From my understanding this ability should only trigger at the beginning of the end step as long as its sacrifice condition is met, then again on resolution it needs to verify the condition to still be sacrificed. Is this indeed the case?
    It's an intervening if (, if ...,), so yes - checks the condition when it would trigger and again on resolution.

603.4. A triggered ability may read "When/Whenever/At [trigger event], if [condition], [effect]." When the trigger event occurs, the ability checks whether the stated condition is true. The ability triggers only if it is; otherwise it does nothing. If the ability triggers, it checks the stated condition again as it resolves. If the condition isn't true at that time, the ability is removed from the stack and does nothing. Note that this mirrors the check for legal targets. This rule is referred to as the "intervening 'if' clause" rule. (The word "if" has only its normal English meaning anywhere else in the text of a card; this rule only applies to an "if" that immediately follows a trigger condition.)
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information