Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the hardest and coolest good deck I can play?

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

What's the hardest and coolest good deck I can play?

I'm toying with the idea of 'selling all my stuff'; i.e. keeping one serious deck and just playing shitty casual decks over beer and wings, with some pre-releases here and there. Just don't have the desire to invest any more, nor the desire to keep around thousands of dollars that can be wast-, er, invested in other things, like old German cars or travelling.

I've always enjoyed seeing people play Doomsday Tendrils. It seems like a very resilient deck, but incredibly difficult to play correctly. Is it a deck that can be easily transferred to Vintage? i.e. jam some power and play more or less the same Legacy list?

I love combo and obscure decks. I'd like something that, barring any major shake-ups or hate cards printed in the future can be reasonably competitive in a varied meta, assuming you know how to play it correctly. Budget unimportant.

Suggestions?

Edit: Maybe T.E.S.?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: What's the hardest and coolest good deck I can play?

Doomsday sounds like exactly the deck you want to play.

For vintage, a year or two back, Menendian started pushing Doomsday hard. Based on the lists I find on a quick google, the deck is very close to "just jam in some power" as you've described.

You could build storm. If your wanting both a legacy and vintage list in the end you could build ANT/TES for legacy and TPS for vintage.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Coolest deck is subjective, pretty much like a beauty pageant.

Hardest deck is simply DDFT Doomsday Fetchland Tendrils. Hardest deck would also mean a long learning curve, quite some times to overcome.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

It sounds like you are indeed looking for a combo deck like storm. Doomsday is more successful these days with Laboratory Maniac than with the Tendrils kill, but the later is much more fun/challenging. The traditional storm twins TES and ANT have a lot of overlap in their lists even if TES is closer to it's Vintage brother, running also Wishes and Gold-Lands (at times). Storm is a good trait for long-time, but occasional play as you don't have to metagame the shit out of your deck every week.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Excellent. So which Storm variant is better all-around? DDFT or TES? I know it's subjective.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    Excellent. So which Storm variant is better all-around? DDFT or TES? I know it's subjective.
    TES is the better deck. DDFT is harder to play and more flexible, but I feel that even if played optimally, it would still fall short of TES (and ANT).

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    If you are new to the mechanic (in terms of never played it in a tournament against real decks), I would start with ANT without a doubt and once you feel that you want more lines of play and flexibility (aka getting annoyed by hatebears and graveyard-hate) you might want to try the two you mentioned above.

DDFT isn't made to push through matchups like the combo mirror or prison-decks like Death&Taxes with brute force and speed like TES, but a deck which needs a lot of strategic planning to achieve results which is a serious challenge in todays age of (storm-hate) powercreep. Hovering around the card Doomsday, the deck has it's own issues in regards to learning piles and strategic linearity (get DD resolved and not killed by a Lightning Bolt after) which is a reason the deck shifted towards the Lab. maniac which is a lot more casual-friendly AND dodges a lot of common storm-hate. TES is a poker-players magic deck; you need to have a good read on your opponent and are required to accept that there are situations in which you WILL lose not because you made a mistake, but because your opponent was doing right/was lucky, which contain scenarios of going All-In (poker again) against an unknown hand and the like.

I hope this dodges the subjective recommendation :)
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Hard can also mean frustrating, DDFT is both. In Vintage, Doomsday has unfavorable match ups against MUD and Control decks. For coolness factor, I'd go with Miracles or Loam decks in legacy. Fuck Vintage unless you actually own a set of Power.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

I think LED Dredge would be pretty high up on my list.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'm with death. Loam decks are both fun and powerful, have plenty of different lines of play, and is fairly flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Just keep all the cards required to play the 3 major Storm decks (ANT, TES, Doomsday) so you can play them all.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Tight Sight
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Elves could also be a nice deck. It's not the hardest one out there (or at least it's a bit more forgiving of misplays than its other engine combo brethren), but it basically does nearly every proactive thing you might want to do in Magic. Grindy, value-hogging plays on the board, combat tricks, playing humongous creatures, swarming with little guys, cheating broken things into play, traditional beatdown => burn aggro gameplan, figuring out tight lines to do broken things, drawing your deck within a single turn, and just plain doing ridiculous amounts of non-infinite damage. There's no end to the fun.
    Last edited by Zombie; 05-05-2014 at 08:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Elves could also be a nice deck. It's not the hardest one out there (or at least it's a bit more forgiving of misplays than it's other engine combo brethren), but it basically does nearly every proactive thing you might want to do in Magic. Grindy, value-hogging plays on the board, combat tricks, playing humongous creatures, swarming with little guys, cheating broken things into play, traditional beatdown => burn aggro gameplan, figuring out tight lines to do broken things, drawing your deck within a single turn, and just plain doing ridiculous amounts of non-infinite damage. There's no end to the fun.
    This. There are hands where you simply derp a Hoof or Prog on T2 and win, but some hands where your experience and knowledge of the deck really get you there over what a newer player would get out of the deck.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    This. There are hands where you simply derp a Hoof or Prog on T2 and win, but some hands where your experience and knowledge of the deck really get you there over what a newer player would get out of the deck.
    Elves are for little kids.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

If I'd be to play a hard and cool deck, I'd build something of my own. A linear combo isn't what I'd love to play for years, it gets pretty old. Same goes for any Tempo deck. Elves? Well, might be good, but it has a deep design flaw, it doesn't use Islands.
    I'd build something with both aggro, control and combo elements so that the deck plays never the same, is unpredictable, unstable and generally strange. Doomsday is quite a "solid" choice, but maybe something like Tezz-Jace control might be even better. Aggro-combo-control-prison; sounds good.
    That, or Tight Sight.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Lands

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Lands
    This for sure. It's cool, hard to play, and everyone gets to come watch you beat people with expensive cards.
    Legacy decks-
    MUD

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."

"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Aesir View Post
    This for sure. It's cool, hard to play, and everyone gets to come watch you beat people with expensive cards.
    Plus, games generally have lots of different lines of play, and it is flexible in what cards to play

Thread Information