Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Judge Promo FoW

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

So, Judge Promo FoW (UPDATED!)

Came here looking for discussion, was disappointed...

How about Dem Apples?

Don't get me wrong, I like the Hannah and the Elesh Norn too... But we finally have a Promo FoW.

$250? Discuss.

UPDATE: Now that people are actually opening envelopes, it seems that you can get multiples. Haven't heard of anyone with more than 4 yet. Given that information, and the news that they are going to make these available again in the future, I stand by my numbers.

UPDATE 2: So maybe you can't get more than 8... and it's official that there "will be opportunities to get these in the future." Initial retailer price (SCG) is $999, while eBay auctions seem to be anywhere from $700-1000. Store buy prices seem to be ~$600. Given the number of L2's I know with a play set, and the number of 'inactive' judges who got them, I think people's estimates for distribution are way too low, and there are a LOT of them available right now. Even Judge-packet foils don't get dumped on the market in numbers like this during the first few weeks; I remain curious to see what happens after the initial demand of people who are willing to pay $1k ea is sated.
    Last edited by Ellomdian; 05-12-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Re: So, Judge Promo FoW

Old border feast and famine is also really nice
    Using Tapatalk

This is far overdue.
    Legacy decks-
    MUD

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."

"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."

Elesh Norn is really nice; could have been even better if old border.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Looks like the FoW's only going to the Judes who helped people join the Judge program since 2005. That damn card will be rare as shit! 2000$ the playset xP

Hanna and Elesh are beautiful cards even if the idea for the Phyrexian Siren isn't new. It's awesome from the perspective of creativity, but a Nightmare in tournament play
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Looks like the FoW's only going to the coordinators who helped people join the Judge program since 2005. Tjat damn card will be rare as shit! 2000$ the playset xP
    Discussion suggests that it's going to judges who certified someone since 2005. Considering the judge expectation re-vamp a few years ago, there is a good chance that most L2's (as well as everyone above) should get one. I would expect distribution roughly in line with the Dark Confidant mailings based on the program growth since then. Not to say that will make them appreciably cheaper, but after the initial 90-day feeding frenzy, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pace that card, since (theoretically) there is more demand for the card you can also play in Modern.

While it's a very small (and inconclusive) sample size, I could get 4 right now from judges who I expect to be getting them at $300 a pop. I expect eBay to be in the $500 range until the pressure to sell gets to the more 'casual' judges, at which point the natural market pressure should drive them down considerably.

Then again, this is the theoretical holy grail of (realistic) promos, and we really only have a few cards to base speculation on (IE, Bob, the D-Tutor (for the first 3 months of it's life) and possibly the Fetches/Clique)
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

I like that promo FoW and Elesh Norn.

I REALLY like that FoW art, just one would be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    Promo FoW.
    Good news, but not that great in terms of added supply, if I understand correctly. If they have 5000 judges and the promo FoW is only being sent to those who had certified other judges since 2005, that means at most 2500 copies of the promo in existence, right? And probably far fewer than that.

This is going to be sought after by EVERY Legacy player that pimps their decks. Force of Will is often the only card that isn't foiled due to, well, a lack of a foil version until now.

I'm glad I don't care for foils. This will be absurdly expensive and scarce.

Dec 2011
    Spain

Is there any judge taht could explain us how the Gift program works?
    I mean how many cards do you normally receive, when do you receive them... etc

Also it's strange that the spoiled all this year promos at once, judges won't be getting some of them until Nov-Dec, right?

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

So many foil edh generals... Why? What trash.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by DLifshitz View Post
    Good news, but not that great in terms of added supply, if I understand correctly. If they have 5000 judges and the promo FoW is only being sent to those who had certified other judges since 2005, that means at most 2500 copies of the promo in existence, right? And probably far fewer than that.
    A quick scan of Judge Apps shows ~1100 judges L2 or above. Assuming it's 1 to each certifying judge (and not 1 per judge certified, which would be double or triple that number), that puts your cap at around half as common as an Alpha rare. It's also the most iconic card in the game that's not on the reserved list. I think the estimates of $250-$300 are low. You've got what, 20,000 of each Legends rare? The Abyss is $200, Moat is $300 and Tabernacle is $600. And those are 20 times more common than foil Forces are going to be. Confidant is still given out from time to time for special things; I don't think Bob is nearly as rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

I'm willing to pay 350$ per card but with the expected printrun i don't expect to get one for under 1000 $.

It really would be a shame if this card is not handed out as a normal Judge Reward.
    TheRiedl on Magic Online

About Magic Online:

I can play legacy whenever I want. Cardboard has no value. Data has no value. My time and enjoyment has high value to me. More legacy = more fun. Buy in.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    When Obilivion Ring is said to be an equivalent counterpiece to Red Elemental Blast in regards to Show and Tell and Jace, you know all is lost.

Also the card looks really bad, illustration-wise. The border doesn't help either. They should've made it like old card but foil. Like they did with Bob and etc.

I think the old Force of Will is one of the most ugliest magic cards ever printed. One can't argue about taste ;)
    TheRiedl on Magic Online

About Magic Online:

I can play legacy whenever I want. Cardboard has no value. Data has no value. My time and enjoyment has high value to me. More legacy = more fun. Buy in.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    When Obilivion Ring is said to be an equivalent counterpiece to Red Elemental Blast in regards to Show and Tell and Jace, you know all is lost.

Dec 2011
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Adryan View Post
    I think the old Force of Will is one of the most ugliest magic cards ever printed. One can't argue about taste ;)
    Completely agree. A blue card that's completely red, what a monster. At least this art shows a bit of contrast (not that I love it though)
    Also as an art piece is one of the worst arts from Terese Nielsen, from my point of view.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

...but it's still iconic. And that's what it's all about.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Adryan View Post
    Whaaaaat? The original art is awesome! The new one is just generic, and the border/foil make it all Pokefail.

Old border sword is hot though, minus the foil.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

There's also the chance that it will see wider circulation later like next year's packets.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

New frame, foiled out, shit for art. PASS.

Now let's talk about that Sword of Feast and Famine...
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thread Information