7 29.17%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: EDH ideas, help me to decide.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Re: EDH ideas, help me to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    How about Elementals? Gatherer says there are 326, so there's a decent pool.
    Horde of Notions would be the most fitting 5C general and allows for good/fun/silly interactions with the evoke elementals (like Shriekmaw, Ingot Chewer, Mulldrifter. Plus you don't have to sell a kidney to afford them.
    Ha! That's a good suggestion. I guess that Grave Pact would be fine with the evoke dudes!

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

So, I'm still undecided about what to build, but I bought a horrid amount of bulk Signets, Guildgates and Refugees, so I'm ready to start brewing, once I'll have some spare time.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I fiddled with some random piles and I seriously hate the 5-Color manabase. It's really nice when listed in MWS (and even better IRL), and I love the look of the old painlands, the beauty of new guildgates and the contrast of the both; refugees and shardlands are amazing (ok, maybe just the shardlands), and it's all nice and fun, until the push comes to shove and one must navigate through the horrid heaps of pain/shard/gatelands and the corresponding signets. Getting the correct amount of correct colors of mana was so painful I can't even tell, and I'm even speaking about preliminary tests. So no, I won't build 5-Color Deck. It's unreliable, painful to pilot, slow as a snail, exhausting and not exactly thrilling.

The sphinxes are strange. Or better said: there something strange about the deck; although the sphinxes are powerful, I simply can't fall in love with the color combination, with Esper. Maybe I'll find some time and will later and try to invent something about them, it's definitely quite strong tribe for a casual EDH, see Enigma Sphinx, Magister Sphinx or Sphinx of Magosi to name a few. It looks like the deck just needs some early control (mostly removal) and then it should be fine... for the pub desk metagame.

I'm considering Numot. In fact I'm thinking of each and every of the three-colors dragons - ok, just the better ones, not Chromium -, but Numot seems funny. Intet has nice illustration and really interesting ability, otoh, I'm completely lost when it comes to the color combination. What's there in UGR?

At the end it looks like I'll rebuild my old GW pile. I like the purity of the deck and of the color combo, otoh, I'm afraid it would lack a control power. Maybe I may add the black once again for all the creature removal (but not for the tutors, I dislike them, esp. in a pub), but then there's the whole trouble with the manabase. While two-colors deck may work on signets and guildgates, three colors need some better fixation and that's not what I want to start all over again. Needless to say, without black I'll lack some of the better choices like Mortify, Putrefy, Chainer's Edict, Worm Harvest or Identity Crisis. (And Teneb, of course.)
    I'd play WGR, but there are no appropriate generals, Mayael is not suited for what I'd like to build and Uril... well, Uril... no. Also, RGW as a deck is quite obvious, all the Swords, dudes and Shattering Sprees...

The question is: straight GW or splash?

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

Can you provide early list of the sphinx deck?
    ...the advance of computerisation, however, has not yet wiped out nations and ethnic groups...

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Offler View Post
    Can you provide early list of the sphinx deck?
    Well, I just hope you won't laugh. It's a low-budget, pub-friendly deck.

about 35 Esper lands:
    Refugees
    Arcane Sanctum
    painlands
    guildgates
    basics
    cheap fetches
    several utility lands like Bojuka

about ten manarocks:
    WUB signets and cluestones
    Worn Powerstone
    Thran Dynamo
    Gilded Lotus

some removal:
    StP
    PtE
    Condemn
    Reprisal
    Mortify
    few edicts
    Living Death
    Rout
    WoG

other control stuff:
    Dism. Blow
    Dismiss
    TfK
    Return to Dust
    some draw
    and some more destruction
    Thopter Foundry
    all three Capsules
    Nihil Spellbomb
    Control Magic
    P. Bidding

equips:
    two haste Boots
    Jitte (because I sitill have one)
    Sword of the meek

Sphinxes:
    Arbiter of the Ideal
    Chancellor of the Spires
    Consecrated Sphinx
    Enigma Sphinx
    Horizon Scholar
    Isperia the Inscrutable
    Magister Sphinx
    Medomai the Ageless
    Sharding Sphinx
    Sharuum the Hegemon
    Sphinx Ambassador
    Sphinx of Lost Truths
    Sphinx of Magosi
    Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    Sphinx of Uthuun
    Sphinx Sovereign
    Sphinx Summoner
    Windreader Sphinx

It wasn't bad for the pub, but too slow. Maybe it simpl needs more early control?

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

Most EDH players around me choose mana acceleration. That is why they are whinning that combo decks are un-fair.

I usually try combination, where my own acceleration is based only on card drawing. Control...

Magus of the Moat

Rest seems pretty decent to me, but yes, you need something that will cripple agro decks.
    Trinisphere is legal?
    ...the advance of computerisation, however, has not yet wiped out nations and ethnic groups...

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Offler View Post
    Most EDH players around me choose mana acceleration. That is why they are whinning that combo decks are un-fair.

I usually try combination, where my own acceleration is based only on card drawing. Control...

Magus of the Moat

Rest seems pretty decent to me, but yes, you need something that will cripple agro decks.
    Trinisphere is legal?
    I think Trini is legal. In fact the whole "tournament" scene started a few weeks ago, and if not for the fact that I won't be having a time for Legacy anymore, I wouldn't dib into EDH, as I extremely suck at it. At least it's 1v1, so it's more about actually playing than chitchat.

Speaking of cripplig other decks, I think that for 1v1 games discard is pretty solid against combo and control (Hymn, Gerrard's Verdict, Identity Crisis, etc.), while a good mix of spot and mass removal (plus some lock pieces like Island Sanctuary and such) may work wonders against aggro. IDK. I'm quite unwilling to add non-sphinx creatures, not because it's a Tribal EDH or something like that, but simply coz I like the purity of deck design. :)

However this is all really academic, as I definitely decided to let the sphinxes sleep for a while and concentrate on something more simple (at least speaking of mana managment). So, straight GW it'll be.

GW.EDH

First of all, I realized that the multicolored decks make me nervous. I dislike the many tasks linked to three-or-more colored decks, like dependance on fetches, need for the fixation, etc. Honestly, if I'd wanted to twiddle with that, then I'd go for the "real" competitive EDH, not a pub deck.
    Also, I really liek the purity that GW offers, both in a design terms and in the... lets say atmosphere or flavour.
    I'm not exactly set on an idea, but for the start I'll gowith the usual etb theme. From the several possible generals there's none that would really strike me (read: they are both amazing, how they not be, when they're all GW?), and none of them exactly supports the 187-based deck, so I may just as well go with a random one. (So far I like Sigarda the most, but Tolsimir is also nice as is Cpt. Sisay, yet she brings far too many shuffles.)

list to follow...

Mar 2010
    Hearth of the Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    I fiddled with some random piles and I seriously hate the 5-Color manabase. It's really nice when listed in MWS (and even better IRL), and I love the look of the old painlands, the beauty of new guildgates and the contrast of the both; refugees and shardlands are amazing (ok, maybe just the shardlands), and it's all nice and fun, until the push comes to shove and one must navigate through the horrid heaps of pain/shard/gatelands and the corresponding signets. Getting the correct amount of correct colors of mana was so painful I can't even tell, and I'm even speaking about preliminary tests. So no, I won't build 5-Color Deck. It's unreliable, painful to pilot, slow as a snail, exhausting and not exactly thrilling.
    I must disagree:) My Horde of Notions decks manabase is stable like statue and smooth like nutella!
    You are doing it wrong, You should not play crap 2 color cip taplands like refuges and guildgates, but vivids from lorwyn block, my cheap 5c manabase is like this:
    http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/horde-of-budget-cards/

command tower and new mana artifacts like chromatic lantern also help.

Pavel D.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

What about Saffi Eriksdotter for your general? I've had a Saffi deck for forever (my longest lived deck to date), and she definitely supports the 187-style thing.

The nice thing about Saffi is you can go full on combo with Karmic Guide, Reveillark, and/or Adarkar Valkyrie ...or you can just play a bunch of value dudes and let Saffi be a kind-of Reanimate in the face of a board wipe.

One thing I'll definitely recommend for GW-187.dek is Juniper Order Ranger. The card gets out of hand real quick, especially if you're getting in there with Hero of Bladehold or something similar.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by datanaga View Post
    I must disagree:) My Horde of Notions decks manabase is stable like statue and smooth like nutella!
    You are doing it wrong, You should not play crap 2 color cip taplands like refuges and guildgates, but vivids from lorwyn block, my cheap 5c manabase is like this:
    http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/horde-of-budget-cards/

command tower and new mana artifacts like chromatic lantern also help.

Pavel D.
    But your cheap-ass Vivid manabase works only because you use the newly patched vivds that etb with seven counters.
    Also, five colors suck. It's a terrible nightmare to dick around with the signets, trying to get the mana right. I noticed that whenever you cast your general, you simply tap some lands without looking at them and say something like "yep, all colors are there".
    Btw, you should definitely purchase the last painland, unless you want me to emabrass you in front of all of your friends and buy it for you as a Christmas present...

But honestly, I think I'll build some similar pile, just that it's so hurtful to fidle with the 5C budget manabase. And, I'm a GW player in heart, so why I shouldn't play my most beloved color combination at leat in EDH!

Speaking of the tournaments: how many ppl came last Wednesday, what do they play, have you won, etc., etc.

And don't be mistaken, I won't be playing some weak deck. I plan to surprise you with what I'll bring! I swear that if you'll win one out of ten games... ok, rahter just one out of five games... I'll buy you your choice of Adarkar Wastes!

Saffi ain't a bad idea. I'll think about it, but I really like big creatures with stupid manacosts, so maybe I'll try Krond.

Mar 2010
    Hearth of the Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    But your cheap-ass Vivid manabase works only because you use the newly patched vivds that etb with seven counters.
    Also, five colors suck. It's a terrible nightmare to dick around with the signets, trying to get the mana right. I noticed that whenever you cast your general, you simply tap some lands without looking at them and say something like "yep, all colors are there".
    Btw, you should definitely purchase the last painland, unless you want me to emabrass you in front of all of your friends and buy it for you as a Christmas present...

But honestly, I think I'll build some similar pile, just that it's so hurtful to fidle with the 5C budget manabase. And, I'm a GW player in heart, so why I shouldn't play my most beloved color combination at leat in EDH!

Speaking of the tournaments: how many ppl came last Wednesday, what do they play, have you won, etc., etc.

And don't be mistaken, I won't be playing some weak deck. I plan to surprise you with what I'll bring! I swear that if you'll win one out of ten games... ok, rahter just one out of five games... I'll buy you your choice of Adarkar Wastes!

Saffi ain't a bad idea. I'll think about it, but I really like big creatures with stupid manacosts, so maybe I'll try Krond.
    you are right, after fifth beer Im bit lazy to control colored mana, but playing this manabase for such a long time improved my signet skill a lot, Im able to recognize what color is missing very fast

Yes, I sold my german Adarkar Wastes because rest painlands are english (Ice Age), still trying to purchase NM english one, but binders are full of new shit or bad conditions.

You should play what you like, I like my deck a lot, see new update in form of equipments, but I dont want to play OP boots which everyone and his grandmother is playing, but Unscythe, Killer of Kings!:)

OK, looks like we have got a deal, one out of five games can not be problem:)

Last time I was on bigger EDH tournament on saturday, 33 people, Night before I changed my deck a lot for this tournament, finally I was playing 5c control with combo finish (Helm/Rip), but lack of practise with deck and lack of blue duals (only tropical) and other key cards like FOW cost me some games, finished 3:3. Field was really competetive, some kills on turn three etc.
    Last edited by datanaga; 06-11-2014 at 05:29 AM.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

you are right, after fifth beer Im bit lazy to control colored mana, but playing this manabase for such a long time improve my signet skill a lot
    Pavel, I'm glad we've finally met on the Source, you made my day... twice per day!

Im able to recognize what color is missing very fast

Yes, I sold my german Adarkar Wastes because rest painlands are english (Ice Age), still trying to purchase NM english one, but binders are full of new shit or bad conditions.
    Ask and receive. I'll take a look on MKM, it's not like the web suffers of scarcity when speaking of 0,99 Euro painlands.

You should play what you like...
    So true!

...I like my deck a lot, see new update in form of equipments, but I dont want to play OP boots which everyone and his grandmother is playing, but Unscythe, Killer of Kings!:
    I saw that. Speaking of it, there should be some saw equipment. Orcish Lumberjack would love it.

OK, looks like we have got a deal, one out of five games can not be problem:)
    I'll ride by a car, because I'll need to take you to your family. After I'll be done with you, you won't see through the tears.

Last time I was on bigger EDH tournament on saturday, 33 people, Night before I changed my deck a lot for this tournament, finally I was playing 5c control with combo finish (Helm/Rip), but lack of practise with deck and lack of blue duals (only tropical) and other key cards like FOW cost me some games, finished 3:3. Field was really competetive, some kills on turn three etc.
    Crap. Pretty competitive field, quite annoying. Otoh, last time I was at an EDH tourney, Lenny borrowed my old 5C pile (the one with Phelddagrif, Mystic Enforcer, Primitive Justice, Terror, Sol Grail and other such beauties) and easily defeated Vojta Sobek while he was trying to assemble some USD 2500 combo in a deck full of freshly opened rares from freshly purchased Legends display.

Also, GW is boring, Teneb rules. Afte all, it's not like I cannot throw away the black if I'd find it annoying. Frankly, if only black magic in MtG would be more akin to green magic in Heroes of M&M 3, I'd much more loved to play it. No Diabolic Tutors and fugly demons, but smiling skeletons and earth spells.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Your idea to use Sigarda, Host of Herons sounds like the best option for GW. Plus you can swap her out for Gaddock Teeg if the tournaments you attend are filled with turn 3 combos.

Omlouvám se za svou roli v naší dřívější neshody.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Your idea to use Sigarda, Host of Herons sounds like the best option for GW. Plus you can swap her out for Gaddock Teeg if the tournaments you attend are filled with turn 3 combos.
    es! I already thought about Gaddock... but I'm bit afraid that the combo players will have they're removal ready. But it's still better to force them to have it, then to simply stare while they're assembling the kill. It's either him or Sigarda, with Krond following them. All other GW dudes are a bit worse, except for Sisay, but she definitely needs a different deck.

Omlouvám se za svou roli v naší dřívější neshody.

That's fine, nothing happened. I shouldn't have been that "witty" it didn't occure to me that not everybody is interested in jokes about his favourite format.
    Thing is that there are several problems/annnoynaces linked with EDH and its crowd, otoh, it's not that any other format doesn't suffer of something similar. While EDH is sometimes pestered with whimperers, Eternal crowd is pretty arrogant... and Standard players quite often do not even know how the game works.

Guys, looks like I need to flip a coin. I like the elegance of GW, otoh, I like the power of GWb. I'll go with the latter, at least until I accumulate enough cards for the straight GW.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'd say in a more casual setting that GWB would probably be better because you get more powerful tools from black In a 1v1, I'd rather have the GW more straight forward deck
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I'd say in a more casual setting that GWB would probably be better because you get more powerful tools from black In a 1v1, I'd rather have the GW more straight forward deck
    That's strange: while I understand the power of GWB (edicts, Nekrataals, etc.), I'm surprised that you value clean GW as a more powerful choice for 1v1! How would you build it? I'm tempted to build something like creaturegeddon, except that there are not enough cheap gedgons in the color combination; I know about the namesake sorcery, then few other bad LDs like Global Ruin or Catastrophe.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Ok, so I tinkered with the GBW and honestly: it was a disaster.
    The color combination is nice and powerful, indeed it is, the generals (Teneb or Karador) are amazing, control elements are strong, the many combos and engines are interesting, and the cheap dual (Murmuring Bosk) is funny. But I disliked the direction that the deck inevitably took. You know... graveyard recursion and Greater Good and Kokusho and Yosei and Grave Pact and this and that and all that stuff.
    Bah, boring, boring! Powerful? Yes! Original? Not really. Herpderp? Of course...
    I'll try something different, and I even finally settled for the color combo, RGW. I got some preliminary list and idea, and I swear it will be unusual. At least I hope so.

[reserved for list]

Mar 2010
    Hearth of the Earth

I hope you finally deicided what you want to play and will finish deck soon, can't wait to beat it

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I hope you finally deicided what you want to play and will finish deck soon, can't wait to beat it
    No way, IM still undecided. Part of me wants to just throw my favourite GW creatures in one pile and be doen with it. The other part of me wants to build a bit more real deck with some idea, preferably bi- or tri-color so that I don't suffer much. And the last part of me wants to build your exact 100 except with better manabase (seriously, I'd love to buy the old batch of Reflecting Vivid Pools). So I'm torn between the three ideas; oh, the agony of choices, the agony of choices, the agony of choices!

But whatever I'll build, prepare to cry a lot. I won't even metagame against you (although I know that ten to fifteen Shatter effects combined with some Wrath here and there could save my Adarkar Wastes), but I'll go with something real.

Right now I'm tinkering with straight GW, either:
    - Kalamita ramp,
    - Sigarda creaturegedon,
    - or Krond voltron

or RGW, either:
    - Mayael cheatings,
    - or Rith/Urin beatdown

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

When I edh, if I am just doing it for fun, I like to make a theme and build around it. Otherwise it simply becomes a good stuff deck (especially in GWB) and its the same as everyone elses except a different general
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information