Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Article] Taming Miracles

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

[Article] Taming Miracles

I am talking about how to beat Miracles and what decks to consider when you don't want to play the best deck.

Let me know what you think, either here or in the comment section at the article itself. Thanks.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Re: [Article] Taming Miracles

Good article. I'm going to give a shout-out to Punishing Jund though, as it has favorable matchups against all three of the decks you named in my experience.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Pretty great article! Well remembered about Bitterblossom!

I play Jund and Null Rod has always been such a great card (you might say it's also a great card versus Stoneforge decks!), but I like the perspective about battling Sensei top first. I usually tried battling Counterbalance first, which has worked, but not always.. I think so far I've had a 50-50 win rate with Jund vs Miracles due to that. Aburpt Decay is a powerful card in the matchup I think.

Number of times the following words were used

Value = 2
    Tempo = 0
    Midrange = 2

All signs point to a good article with actual thought and content.

Good job. This philosophical oriented article really should be perceived as the part 3 of his Miracles series of article. Doesn't it strike newbie as weird or missing context, if he or she has not read part 1 (the deck itself) and part 2 (sb choices and match-ups) from other sites? I guess that site doesn't want link or reference about the previous ones.

Nov 2010
    Lisbon, Portugal

Nice article. Although you missed mentioning one of the most underplayed miracles hate cards:

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by warai View Post
    Nice article. Although you missed mentioning one of the most underplayed miracles hate cards:

Teeg is such a dick. Slap a SoLS on him and watch them squirm :)

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Teeg is such a dick. Slap a SoLS on him and watch them squirm :)
    Most of time, Miracle players would just dig for Karakas, bounce Teeg EoT, and proceed to do the usual thing. This is not possible if your opponent runs 4 Wastelands in most Vial decks. The only commonly seen deck that might jam Teeg is Elves. Where did all the Maverick go?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Where did all the Maverick go?
    Miracles killed it. There are other factors as well, but Miracles was one of the main contributors.

And I agree - unless you have both Mom AND Sylvan Safekeeper to protect Teeg from StP/bounce AND Karakas, he's going to have a hard time to stay in play.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Most of time, Miracle players would just dig for Karakas, bounce Teeg EoT, and proceed to do the usual thing. This is not possible if your opponent runs 4 Wastelands in most Vial decks. The only commonly seen deck that might jam Teeg is Elves. Where did all the Maverick go?
    Elves doesn't really run that much Teeg anymore either. It's kinda nasty shooting yourself in the foot without that many ways to kill him when you want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Elves doesn't really run that much Teeg anymore either. It's kinda nasty shooting yourself in the foot without that many ways to kill him when you want to.
    Yeah, that's the main problem.

The problem with Maverick is that you need many creatures on board to start really leveraging advantage. The problem is, with no Teeg, you just get mucked out of the game by Terminus.

-Matt

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Yep, I also skimmed the article and I agree.

What deck plays Dark Confidant, other card advantage engines, Walkers, and Needle?

Junk. Oops.

-Matt

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

They have to dig for Karakas, which is often a 1-of or 2-of (in the Joe Lossett lists), but it's still tough for them to deal with.

I used to play Lightning Greaves in the board with Maverick just to slap it onto Teeg against Miracles :) As long as you don't attack into a Snapcaster Mage, you pretty much can't lose the game at that point.

That BoM 4Colors Loam uses two of it (one maindeck one sideboard), probably it was worth it :)

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Want to beat Miracles? Play 12post.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Cool article from MTGTheSource's preeminent Miracles expert!

It's not often that pilots of a particular deck give out a blueprint for beating them... the ones that usually do this are pretty secure in their own ability and their deck's ability. Kudos.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Yep, I also skimmed the article and I agree.

What deck plays Dark Confidant, other card advantage engines, Walkers, and Needle?

Junk. Oops.

-Matt
    Lol.

My Deadguy list already plays 4 Thoughtseize (discard Top) Bob, Souls, 2 main board revoker, a pithing needle in the SB, Liliana, and Choke. Wanna beat miracles? Ive got the deck for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Cool article from MTGTheSource's preeminent European Miracles expert!
    Fixed. We have the aforementioned Joe Lossett (may have spelled that wrong, sorry Joe) here as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Lol.

My Deadguy list already plays 4 Thoughtseize (discard Top) Bob, Souls, 2 main board revoker, a pithing needle in the SB, Liliana, and Choke. Wanna beat miracles? Ive got the deck for you
    But you have to play Isolated chapel (yuck!) and I get to play Bayous and Abrupt Decays and Gaddock Teeg ( (8) born on the bayou...)

Point being, we're both in very good positions.

-Matt

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I've been running a 4c cascade deck which is more or less Shardless bug splashing red for Bloodbraid. Totally destroys Miracles.

I cut liliana and jace for Bloodbraid and Cliques. Cut wastelands for badlands and that's it. I feel that Bloodbraid is the better gas card vs Miracles because it's essentially guaranteed value even when countered. Also, Bloodbraid is the premier Jace killer of the format.

And setting up Bloodbraid>Shardless>2cc spell is just so sweet!

Thread Information