Thread: Dazing Winter [Mono U]

Dazing Winter [Mono U]

Hello everyone,
    I am going to share a deck I brew about one month ago and I've had some success with. The deck wants to exploit at its best the card Winter Orb through some nice synergies (Daze becomes both a hard counter late game and frees one of your islands from the orb lock). I'll go straight with the list though:

4 City of Traitors
    5 Island
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Tangle Wire
    4 Daze
    4 Sea Drake
    4 Rhystic Study
    4 Winter Orb
    4 Crystal Vein
    4 Pestermite
    3 Man-o'-War
    2 Deceiver Exarch
    SB: 4 Force of Will
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 4 Chill
    SB: 4 Phyrexian Revoker

This deck is pretty strong against Miracles and other fair decks and has something to interact with combo. It's Achille's heel though is any kind of red deck or super aggresive strategy. Because of this we have cards as Chill in the sideboard.
    Rhystic Study synergizes well and a turn 1 Study is pretty much like playing a Thalia.
    Pestermite seems like an abvious choice and Deceiver Exarch works as pestermite 5 and 6.
    Sea Drakeis an all-star in a deck like this by being a great clock and synergizing with City of Traitors and Winter Orb.

Bouncers like Man-o'-War and Jace can both bounce opponent's threats but yours as well (Pestermite) to better establish a lock.

Crystal Vein could be Ancient Tomb, but again we would weaken even more the burn MU and we would suffer a lot any aggressive strategy. This choice is up to you and strictly depends on your meta, each card has its props and cons.

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

Re: Dazing Winter [Mono U]

Vedalken Certarch works wonders with Orb if you could go for more artifacts. And Orb, Tangle Wire and Mox (Chrome or Opal) are already artifacts.

Esperzoa and Tezzeret, the Seeker can be usefull in more artifact-heavy approach.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

Re: Dazing Winter [Mono U]

This list desperately needs Ancient Tomb. Having Tomb - > chalice @ 1 means GG against burn anyways.
    Besides, burn is not that popular a deck right now anyways and your maindeck seems reasonable poised to beat it just because you have Chalice.

Thread Information