Thread: Khans of Tarkir:

Khans of Tarkir:

As announced on Pro Tour Journey Into Nyx stream:
    Theme: Mongolian; home of Sarkhan Vol.
    Release Date: September 26th, 2014
    Lead Designer: Mark Rosewater
    Lead Developer: Erik Lauer
    Size of sets: large, small, large.

As quoted from the stream, they are "bringing back something old that [we] have been asking for for a long time, and something new that [they] have never done before". Does the former mean Fetches? What about the latter?
    DDD / Death & Taxes

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Re: Khans of Tarkir:

Quote Originally Posted by easysantiago View Post
    As quoted from the stream, they are "bringing back something old that [we] have been asking for for a long time, and something new that [they] have never done before". Does the former mean Fetches? What about the latter?
    My prediction is Snow Lands, and some sort of Snow Dual (although probably not with basic types).
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Hopefully storm gets reprinted as well as flanking
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Hopefully storm gets reprinted as well as flanking
    Considering WotC dislikes the Storm mechanic, I doubt it. But if a Storm card were to be reprinted, I'd call Dragonstorm in set 3.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

They have stated that Storm was too much of a mistake to bring it back. Onslaught Fetches would be super awesome...and also show how reprints actually increase the prize instead of a card.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

It was sarcasm. I guess I should have said banding rather than flanking

Mongols ride horses right? Money says horseman ship. That's like kind of a joke but I could see it
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

May 2011
    Nikaho, 秋田県

People have been bugging rosewater about dragons in sets where they make no sense, like innistrad, and the response is that mouth-breathers looooooove dragons so goddamn much there has to be one in every set unless r&d has a good reason against.

All the dragons are dead = set without a dragon.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by easysantiago View Post
    As announced on Pro Tour Journey Into Nyx stream:
    Theme: Mongolian; home of Sarkhan Vol.
    Release Date: September 26th, 2014
    Lead Designer: Mark Rosewater
    Lead Developer: Erik Lauer
    Size of sets: large, small, large.

SNOW lands GO.

Time to obsolete ABU duals.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserruhsam View Post
    People have been bugging rosewater about dragons in sets where they make no sense, like innistrad, and the response is that mouth-breathers looooooove dragons so goddamn much there has to be one in every set unless r&d has a good reason against.

All the dragons are dead = set without a dragon.
    I'm sure there will be a "Thrun, the Last Dragon" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    SNOW lands GO.

Time to obsolete ABU duals.
    would love to see that and i reckon is a real possibility.
    Would be a HUGE business movement by wizard bringing a lot of players back in legacy, woudnt damage the currently underpowered standard format and would give modern duals that they dont do damage to the controller.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Make them Legendary Snow DUals so they arent clear 4 ofs in modern

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Snow duals don't work under the current definition of the Rerserve list, just like legendary Duals. Adding a subtype would work. But they're going to do jackshit in that regard anyway.

Rosewater & Lauer in the lead again? Oh boy, I sure can't hold my excitement after Innistrad and Theros!

Fetches are still going to take a while to reprint, according to an interview at the end of April, so I doubt that could be it. New thing they've never done before? Probably another, glorified kicker variant. Or other crap in the league of flip cards (see: Innistrad).

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Introduce a rehashed mechanic with a new name. Strive (multikicker), Devotion (chroma)

Based on the theme, maybe the new thing will be Walls tribal.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

Banding, Rampage, Flanking, and Phasing! Lets GO! Also lets hope there are some sweet Humans in this set.
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Candle View Post
    Based on the theme, maybe the new thing will be Walls tribal.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

I am fairly confident the "thing players have been asking for but MTG has been without", will be a wedge themed block. The set is a bottom up design, casuals get massive nerdrections for multicolored stuff and the art shown has a very clear BWR look to it; both the pallet and characters depicted look very BWR. All the evidence supports a wedge themed block.

Don't expect fetchlands, Forscythe recently said they will reprint them eventually, but not anytime soon.

For the "thing we have never done before", it probably has to do with the "unique block structure" which I don't know for sure what it entails, but the fact that there are no dragons on the plane anymore, but the last set is called Dragons of Tarkir makes me think there might be some sort of change from the normal chronological story telling. So, Dragons of Tarkir (and possibly the middle set, Warlords?) will take place BEFORE the events of Khans happens.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    I am fairly confident the "thing players have been asking for but MTG has been without", will be a wedge themed block. The set is a bottom up design, casuals get massive nerdrections for multicolored stuff and the art shown has a very clear BWR look to it; both the pallet and characters depicted look very BWR. All the evidence supports a wedge themed block.

Don't expect fetchlands, Forscythe recently said they will reprint them eventually, but not anytime soon.

For the "thing we have never done before", it probably has to do with the "unique block structure" which I don't know for sure what it entails, but the fact that there are no dragons on the plane anymore, but the last set is called Dragons of Tarkir makes me think there might be some sort of change from the normal chronological story telling. So, Dragons of Tarkir (and possibly the middle set, Warlords?) will take place BEFORE the events of Khans happens.
    For me, it makes more sense for them to reprint fetch lands whenever we return to Zendikar block (or whatever is left of it). Wedges would make sense to me for when we go back to Alara as well.

====================================================================

World without dragons and has Mongolianesque tribes. Dragons return to the world. Big stuff happens. Where have I heard this before?

We better be getting a Khal Drogo!

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Or they just bring back dragons with a plot device - see Zendikar with the Eldrazi, Innistrad with the angels, or Mirrodin with the Phyrexians.

But all of those things are minor as long as they can/can't deliver a decent set/block.

A wedge-themed block would finally give us official names for the wedges. I mean, I'm sure that BUG, RUG, and Junk/Rock would still be used but I think whatever names they give to the names of the WUR and WBR wedge Khans will stick.

Thread Information