Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Khans of Tarkir:

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Khans of Tarkir:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    On that topic, MaRo's article from today: State of Design 2014
    Thanks for the source.

The way it is described in the article, Khans Block sounds like a major clusterfuck, and not in a good way. And the third set is going to suck Dragon's Maze-levels of ass.

If any set in this block sucks, it'll be the middle one because it has to be drafted with two different large sets which are presumably doing different things. Having to be the first pack drafted for two very different sets is going to put a lot of strain on it, especially given how much WotC likes to railroad draft archetypes these days. In the best case you're probably going to end up with a few build-around cards that only work with one big set and not the other. They could dodge that by making the archetypes the same across both formats, but then you end up with the Theros block problem of the draft format being monotonous as fuck because you spend all three sets drafting the same archetypes the same way and then jamming them against the same other archetypes for same-y, boring games. I think the only deck that really got any different was UB, which went from Durdle Control to Inspired Control, which was the same except you attacked more. (EDIT: Oh, and Constellation, but that felt like it mattered more in Sealed than draft.)

The new mechanic "prowess" is like Kiln Fiend but minus the excitement. It does point towards Jeskai being the tempo wedge, though, which is something. My guess is RBW is Aggro, RUW is Tempo, RUG is Midrange, BGW is Attrition Midrange, and BUG is Aggro Midrange.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

No no no, I'm sure WotC will take advantage of the BUG colors and make some sort of degenerate graveyard deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    No no no, I'm sure WotC will take advantage of the BUG colors and make some sort of degenerate graveyard deck.
    Ah, right, Graveyard Midrange then.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    And the third set is going to suck Dragon's Maze-levels of ass.
    DGM: so bad that my LGS did $5 winaboxes for it at a PTQ and 3 people signed up all day
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

So bad Wal-Mart sold it for $1 a pack

True story
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I hope that the Abzan tri-color tapland wil have some nice art. Also, I'm pretty happy with the triplelands. I may finally build some cheaps 5-color EDH with all those nice lands.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    DGM: so bad that my LGS did $5 winaboxes for it at a PTQ and 3 people signed up all day
    DGM: so bad that WotC stopped producing it three days after M14 was released.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    My guess is RBW is Aggro, RUW is Tempo, RUG is Midrange, BGW is Attrition Midrange, and BUG is Aggro Midrange.
    RWB is certainly aggro - everything points at that.

WUR might be tempo, but with an artifact subtheme which still works with Prowness.

RUG is going to be ramp from what we know so far - take that as you will.

BUG is something about resources. Might involve GY shenanigans or whatever. I think it rather goes into the control midrange direction with recursion.

WBG might be attrition midrange, as you said. I don't remember exactly what they said about this wedge.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

RWB is certainly aggro - everything points at that.

WUR might be tempo, but with an artifact subtheme which still works with Prowness.

RUG is going to be ramp from what we know so far - take that as you will.

BUG is something about resources. Might involve GY shenanigans or whatever. I think it rather goes into the control midrange direction with recursion.

WBG might be attrition midrange, as you said. I don't remember exactly what they said about this wedge.
    All I needed to know:

- multicolor-block
    - "creatures matter" mechanics only

Another year to ignore for me other than 1-2 cards which may make it into Legacy. I'm not playing block or drafts with that shit again, sorry. I have enough of that multicolor/shard/Guild stuff
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Both mechanics feel so uninspired, though.

But what really scares me shitless now is a recent comment that they continue to power down the Standard format since the power level peaked at New Phyrexia. And no, Theros Block was NOT the low point in power. If that information has any merit, then the Khans Block is going to the absolute low point in terms of power. How this shit is going to sell packs, I don't know.

I can't stand another stale year of a block worse than Theros while we're at the mercy of Wizards and their "We don't give a fuck about Eternal, let's go full retard with Commander"-designs that fuck up Legacy even more.
    They always have Draft to sell packs and Commander to sell mythical Legendary creatures that will never see play in a 60-card constructed format.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    On that topic, MaRo's article from today: State of Design 2014
    Why do I read that stuff when all it does is make me sad.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Morbid curiosity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    For gems like this:

"I feel like there were a lot of expectations and that we managed to hit most of them"
    "I started with a mechanic I had a lot of faith in, one that I knew had more potential than its initial reaction."
    "I feel we succeeded in meeting the player expectations of a block inspired by Greek mythology but we failed ... to deliver what players had expected of an enchantment block."

I feel like MaRo has a screw loose.
    I think that his article is bullshit.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Hilariously enough, I totally forgot that Theros was supposed to be an enchantment matters block... Mostly because enchantments didn't matter. Just because you make some creatures enchantments as well doesn't mean that it actually matters...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

You guys need to learn how to draft or something and not expect Legacy cards from every set. Enchantments did matter quite a bit in Standard and Draft actually and it's hard to make good Legacy cards, especially Enchantments, that wouldn't ruin their cash cow.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    ...it's hard to make good Legacy cards, especially Enchantments, that wouldn't ruin their cash cow.
    Maybe it's a power level thing, but it seems like many of the recent sets are full of unimaginative rehashes of old mechanics. It's as if MaRo is saying, "devotion is a more limited version of chroma, therefore it's better."

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

What if we do draft but think Theros limited sucked?

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Hilariously enough, I totally forgot that Theros was supposed to be an enchantment matters block... Mostly because enchantments didn't matter. Just because you make some creatures enchantments as well doesn't mean that it actually matters...
    It would help if there were more then 20 global enchantments. (and 15 of them from the last set)

Bestow was an interesting mechanic and had potential but there were not enough cards with it and the bestow cost was normally to high to be useful.
    Constelation was the only other enchantment matters mechanic, and came out to late to matter.

Most of the (non bestow) enchantment creatures would not lose any play-ability if they were not enchantments.

Maybe in limited it mattered because of the sheer # of enchantments, but once you remove the limited only garbage cards and go to constructed, the enchantment theme dies horribly.

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    You guys need to learn how to draft or something and not expect Legacy cards from every set. Enchantments did matter quite a bit in Standard and Draft actually and it's hard to make good Legacy cards, especially Enchantments, that wouldn't ruin their cash cow.
    I'm sure people would appreciate more Legacy - playable cards like Delver, Decay, DRS, Grisel, Terminus... honestly, a "Legacy-playable" card has to warp the format or it's not really playable. Every now and then we get cards like Council's Judgment or Faithless Looting which are strong on their own but have little impact overall. Most of the time the card has to be broken though, or it would just be like it didn't exist at all. I think the only card which has been printed in the last years that didn't warp the format around it but improved existing shells by a wide margin was Young Pyromancer. Okay, and Liliana.

Anyway, I definitely expect this block to have a couple of interesting cards. It is a multicolor block after all. The spoiler season just began, and I can't blame Wotc for revealing casual and limited cards first. The former sells the set, the latter gives a small glimpse into new mechanics without giving too much away.
    Humphrey is always correct.

Thread Information