Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Khans of Tarkir:

Re: Khans of Tarkir:

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I bought em last month. Don't recruiters feel like a mistake though? Power<3 just does not seem like a precise power limitation....too arbitrary. Also, red does not get search at all. Just Gamble really. And Wild Research. I have to believe that this card is not on the short list of cards to reprint.
    Both of those cards are old, though. The color pie has since shifted away from these kinds of things.

Recruiter today would almost certainly be white, and would likely track CMC rather than power. I could see them doing Ranger of Eos Jr. or something along those lines.

IIRC they said the RUG wedge was going to be midrange/"big creature" themed, so it's unlikely it'll have much impact on tempo decks in Legacy. BUG was supposed to be about "resource manipulation," whatever that means, but I think it bodes better for Legacy-quality cards given that mana costs in this format are historically quite low.

My guess is that the wedges are as follows:

RUG: Midrange with a Big Spells focus, likely feeling like a cross between an Animar and a Maelstrom Wanderer EDH deck.
    BUG: Zone changes. These colors specialize in graveyard interactions, self-mill, and hand size manipulation. I could see some serious card advantage spells residing here.
    WUR: Possible focus on chaos/trickery, using something like Ruhan of the Fomari as a precedent.
    BWG: This one is supposed to get a long-game mechanic, and life gain appears prominently in all three colors. This is likely our grind-'em-out wedge.
    WBR: If this isn't an obvious weenie aggro wedge, I don't know what is.

Also, bear in mind that Khans the set is wedge-themed, but they said the block as a whole isn't. This likely ties in with the way the block will be drafted (the small middle set will be drafted with both large sets in a LRG-LRG-SML arrangement and will probably act as a bridge between themes). My guess is that the large fall set is wedge-themed, the small middle set focuses on two-color pairs, and the spring large set encourages mono-colored play.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Recruiter today would almost certainly be white, and would likely track CMC rather than power. I could see them doing Ranger of Eos Jr. or something along those lines.

Also, bear in mind that Khans the set is wedge-themed, but they said the block as a whole isn't. This likely ties in with the way the block will be drafted (the small middle set will be drafted with both large sets in a LRG-LRG-SML arrangement and will probably act as a bridge between themes). My guess is that the large fall set is wedge-themed, the small middle set focuses on two-color pairs, and the spring large set encourages mono-colored play.
    Mentor of the Meek says otherwise. White does care about low power.

Isn't the block structure a bit like Zendikar? First land-themed, then ramp/monocolor?

Dec 2011
    Norway

I think it's very unlikely that Imperial Recruiter gets a reprint in a normal set. Wizards cares about secondary market prices (there was no reason for Tarmogoyf to be mythic in Modern Masters, the card could have been rare and the limited format would not have been noticeably affected). The judge foil-reprint of Recruiter was appropriate. I don't see it being reprinted again for a long time.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

What is the desire for Recruiter anyway? It's only really played in one deck.

On the topic of a reprint, I highly doubt that they will print a tutor like that. Throw it into modern... Yea. Not likely.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

There is no other card that does what it does. It is aggressively costed. It is out of color. It has the oldest style of limitation (power), which means it can be manipulated better.

What is not to like?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I'm kind of stoked to be seeing a bunch of Orcs though. Sometimes I look at a block and I'm like "hunh, look at all these fucken Humans. wheeee." I kinda like it when there's some of those classic fantasy creature types running around. Orcses!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Edit: Morph is also back.

Morph was in Onslaught

Fetches were in Onslaught

Half Life 3: CONFIRMED
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Morph was in Onslaught

Fetches were in Onslaught

Half Life 3: CONFIRMED
    They could easily troll us and give us Wedge fetches that only fetch basic lands instead of duals.

I'm also interested to see if the get another mana dork, Noble Hierarch-style.

Let's just not hope that it's another Commander block with lots of overcosted crap.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Yeah there are a bunch of one-offs that could come out of such a set. Shards of Alara had 3-color taplands and those goofy fetches that ask for mana to get basics.
    Then again, I know a cycle of Murmuring Bosks is a common request re: fetch-compatible mana fixing. That's a bit of a high-hope I think, but personally I'd flip my shit if they did such a thing (with or without the tribal angle)

I have a couple buddies that will be pretty angry if Recruiter gets a reprint.
    It's not even RL, perhaps they should diversify their assets or invest more intelligently. Nobody said Magic was a good long term investment strategy. While I may have a deal of expensive cards, my liquid assets and other invesetments are not cardboard.
    As a side note, I'm not even saying it will get a reprint, because the secondary market essentially controls Wizards at this point.

Card store owners everywhere would like a word...

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    Except for the fact that their names aren't RUG Delver and BUG Delver.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Card store owners everywhere would like a word...
    You obviously didn't read the second part of my post. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Hustle View Post
    It's not even RL, perhaps they should diversify their assets or invest more intelligently. Nobody said Magic was a good long term investment strategy. While I may have a deal of expensive cards, my liquid assets and other invesetments are not cardboard.
    As a side note, I'm not even saying it will get a reprint, because the secondary market essentially controls Wizards at this point.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Morph, eh?

I totally want this card:

Dude Man - 2W
    Morph {0}
    2/2

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    Morph, eh?

I totally want this card:

Dude Man - 2W
    Morph {0}
    2/2
    Greyest Ogre

Apr 2011
    Germany

First: Jund and Naya ok - Esper, Bant, Grixis I don't like (as names)

I guess the new wedge names are too exotic to stick.

WBG: graveyard matters - There were some cards that cared about the number of creatures in the graveyard in Theros Block and M15. Not really new, it's the same as in Innistrad so far. A good and innovative graveyard mechanic would be cool though.

WBR: aggressive combat stuff - maybe a dark Boros

URG: artifact matters (again!) - maybe some twisted Esper (There was this strong artifact subtheme in M15.)

WUR: ??? EDIT:auras?? (M15 Brood Keeper and synergy with Theros stuff)

UBG: ??? EDIT:tokens??

EDIT:URG and WUR could also be switched!?

They will probably do a lot of the stuff they did in Shards of Alara for the shards: charms, taplands, panoramas, ... At least everyone will expect that.

Because of the wedge theme there will probably be a lot of commander stuff in this block.
    I also guess that there might be a lot of legends like in Kamigawa and Three Kingdoms.
    That orcs are back could be interesting for red depending on how their new design will be.
    And still hoping for Onslaught fetchies.
    Last edited by joven; 07-30-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I kinda want the UBG ability to be called "Swamp-Ass". Doesn't matter what it does. UBG suggests an 'actual' bayou setting pretty hard. The whole wedge should be Creole as fuck.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I kinda want the UBG ability to be called "Swamp-Ass". Doesn't matter what it does. UBG suggests an 'actual' bayou setting pretty hard. The whole wedge should be Creole as fuck.
    Crawdaddy
    Creature - Crayfish 1/1
    Sacrifice Crawdaddy: Target creature gains "R: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn" until end of turn.
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Nice plains miracle guy. Nice Disenchant also.

It's all hype, the Orcs will be fucking terrible just like Theros promised Minotaurs and we got a giant crusty bucket of cat shit. Zero playable eternal horned bull men. It's like they actually read my posts and do the opposite.

Really hoping for some sweet Doran (BWG) colored stuff.

Maybe a Doran Elf? G - 0/1 - Elf Druid - TAP: Add B/W/G to your mana pool. Perhaps some Wedge mechanic tie-in, a la Noble Hierarch.

I really like Modern Junk, but it feels like its missing something now. After I upgraded Birds to Deathrite, its very hard to go back to Birds even though Deathrite is banned.

Also hoping for a quality 2-3 drop creature that could potentially see Legacy play. Goyf, Bob, Stoneforge, Knight, Doran, Smiter... they get old after a while, it'd be nice to get a new toy.

Would it be too much to ask for Pernicious Deed in Modern?

Thread Information