Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Khans of Tarkir:

Apr 2011
    Germany

Re: Khans of Tarkir:

Mongolian. Wow, I would never guessed that this would be next.
    I guess Flanking would make sense somehow.
    Banding would be insane. :P
    Horsemanship never made any sense flavorwise since it doesn't interact with Flying.

I don't like Large - Small - Large. I certainly hope they won't bring Eldrazi-shaped Dragons in the third set. But the theory to make the third set a prequel could be right.

Onslaught Fetchies would be nice, although Modern bustes all the prizes. But they are lacking in the Modern format, it seems incomplete without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    For me, it makes more sense for them to reprint fetch lands whenever we return to Zendikar block (or whatever is left of it). Wedges would make sense to me for when we go back to Alara as well.
    Onslaught Fetchies have not much to do with Zendikar. And I don't think we can go back to Zendikar. The Eldrazi destroyed it or whatever. It's a actually sad.
    Wedges are not Shards! As far as I know wedges are the enemy color three color combinations. Also I don't think it would make sense to go back to Alara (at least not in the next 10 years).

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    This is actually already going to happen, just in judge promo form. Thanks Terese Nielsen!

https://www.facebook.com/TheArtOfTer...type=1&theater
    I know what basics I'm playing when they come out assuming they aren't too expensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post
    Mongolian. Wow, I would never guessed that this would be next.
    I guess Flanking would make sense somehow.
    Banding would be insane. :P
    Horsemanship never made any sense flavorwise since it doesn't interact with Flying.

I don't like Large - Small - Large. I certainly hope they won't bring Eldrazi-shaped Dragons in the third set. But the theory to make the third set a prequel could be right.

Onslaught Fetchies would be nice, although Modern bustes all the prizes. But they are lacking in the Modern format, it seems incomplete without them.

Onslaught Fetchies have not much to do with Zendikar. And I don't think we can go back to Zendikar. The Eldrazi destroyed it or whatever. It's a actually sad.
    Wedges are not Shards! As far as I know wedges are the enemy color three color combinations. Also I don't think it would make sense to go back to Alara (at least not in the next 10 years).
    They can jam fetchlands into whatever set they like. That's why the names are generic.

And Zendikar isn't destroyed, it's just currently overrun by the Eldrazi. Wizards wants to return to this world sooner or later, considering it's popularity. This year, we hit the 5 year minimum period of time that has to pass before they revisit an old world. I wouldn't be suprised if we got "Return to Zendikar" as the next block after Tarkir.

As far as fetchland prices are concerned - sure, the Onslaught fetchlands would initially go up, but let's not forget they would be reprinted en masse with a way larger print run than during the Onslaught days. In the end, they would settle lower than before as long as the print run is active.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post
    Wedges are not Shards! As far as I know wedges are the enemy color three color combinations.
    Aka, Blaka, Drega, Necra and the fifth one. Apocalypse, third set of INV block.

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Aka, Blaka, Drega, Necra and the fifth one. Apocalypse, third set of INV block.
    Ana, Ceta, Necra, Raka, and Dega.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Aka, Blaka, Drega, Necra and the fifth one.

I wouldn't mind some 'official' names for the wedges, in the same vein as the Alara Shards. I like the Apoc names, don't get me wrong, but whereas one is more likely to say "Bant Control" or "Grixis Storm" or whatever - those are more or less made up - we don't hear people labeling Delver builds by "Ceta / Ana" or what-have-you. They just haven't stuck. I tried googling around to see if those prefixes were relevant to the Invasion books, but I didn't find anything. Meh.

I had a guy at work telling me about the speculation surrounding this block. I would really dig seeing Flanking on some creatures, and I would especially love to see it trickle down to Eternal. Flanking, besides just being awesome because it is awesome, is tech vs all kinds of 1-toughness creatures that think they're hot shit - especially since it does not target and therefore cares none about protection. See my sig for brutal MWS example.

It also paves the way for one of my favorite tautologous Magic cards -- Cavalry Master! "Other creatures you control with flanking have flanking." OF COURSE THEY DO

I know I know, it stacks. It's just awesome. I wish more abilities worked that way, where more = better. It'd be like, if you could give something flying twice, and then creatures with one instance of flying couldn't block it any more, because they don't fly as well. Sucks to be you, Tombstalker! My White Shield Crusader has SEVEN INSTANCES OF FLYING. It's not even on my playmat anymore, it's all like ____-_
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Ana: BUG
    Ceta: RUG
    Dega: This color combo has sucked for 21 years straight.
    Necra: Junk colors
    Raka: RWU (wish I had a pronouncable acronym or better yet, a stable manabase) colors

I kinda wish we could use these names instead of the stupid acronyms we are stuck with.

"Ana Control" replaces something like "Shardless BUG"
    "Ceta Delver", I guess
    "Dega Something" anything would be better than "Team Italia". In fact I hope this gets pushed for this reason alone.
    "Necra Loam" or "Necra Lands" or something like that.
    "Raka True Blade" => RTB: there...That many layers of extrapolation should successfully keep Legacy deck names completely incomprehensible to outsiders.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Raka: RWU (wish I had a pronouncable acronym or better yet, a stable manabase) colors

I kinda wish we could use these names instead of the stupid acronyms we are stuck with.

"Ana Control" replaces something like "Shardless BUG"
    "Ceta Delver", I guess
    "Dega Something" anything would be better than "Team Italia". In fact I hope this gets pushed for this reason alone.
    "Necra Loam" or "Necra Lands" or something like that.
    "Raka True Blade" => RTB: there...That many layers of extrapolation should successfully keep Legacy deck names completely incomprehensible to outsiders.
    Yeah sure, if they stick. They didn't the first time vOv

Also Dega not suck. Dega rad. Kaalia is Dega, and therefore wins. Plus I hear RWB Burn is a thing in Modern, because dumb stuff like Boros Charm and Bump in the Night and good burn spells.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Flanking & Provoke should return. Preferably on the same card.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Flanking & Provoke should return. Preferably on the same card.
    Indeed, this would apply a nominal amount of vegetable-based spread to my single serving breakfast confection. Though it usurps my preferred Sliver combo of Sidewinder Sliver and Hunter Sliver and/or Two-Headed Sliver.

Fortunately, the last "provoke as removal" guy they printed like was like a 2/2 with first strike for 4W, so unless they've gone entirely bat-shit they wouldn't put them on the same card. Be a lot cooler if they did though.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Creature - IH8Nemesis
    1R
    provoke
    flanking
    haste
    When ~this~ enters the battlefield it deals 1 damage to target creature.
    At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice this creature.
    1/1
    ---------------
    That should make it big enough to kill an x/3, so not too narrow.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Yeah sure, if they stick. They didn't the first time vOv

Also Dega not suck. Dega rad.
    Coincidentally... Dega Midrange
    Found that looking through rogue lists on TCDecks.
    Looks like at least 1 person remembered.

Creature - IH8Nemesis
    1R
    provoke
    flanking
    haste
    When ~this~ enters the battlefield it deals 1 damage to target creature.
    At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice this creature.
    1/1
    ---------------
    That should make it big enough to kill an x/3, so not too narrow.

And why would anyone want this over Bolt? Can't provoke Nemesis, can't provoke Mothers.. can't kill DRS (as long as there's a single land in any gy) etc.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    That wikipedia entry is a wonderful read. Thanks for sharing.
    You're welcome. I enjoy doing a little "history surfing" on Wikipedia from time-to-time, and I thought that was really interesting.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    I hope this block has some epic flavor text:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ain_Jalut
    Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    That wikipedia entry is a wonderful read. Thanks for sharing.
    This reminded me of a Radiolab segment. I don't want to give it away, but it's Mongol-related and very interesting.

Beware! Non-MTG content ahead!

http://www.radiolab.org/story/91519-genghis-khan/
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

WUT?

I WILL FIGHT YOU.

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    And Zendikar isn't destroyed, it's just currently overrun by the Eldrazi. Wizards wants to return to this world sooner or later, considering it's popularity. This year, we hit the 5 year minimum period of time that has to pass before they revisit an old world. I wouldn't be suprised if we got "Return to Zendikar" as the next block after Tarkir.
    Well, I liked Zendikar, too, at least the first set and the explorer theme.
    But I wonder how WotC want to do the return to Zendikar storywise. That the Eldrazi somehow lost interest and disappeared or that somebody/something defeated them or put them to sleep or what? Everything that comes to mind would be pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    As far as fetchland prices are concerned - sure, the Onslaught fetchlands would initially go up, but let's not forget they would be reprinted en masse with a way larger print run than during the Onslaught days. In the end, they would settle lower than before as long as the print run is active.
    Well hopefully. Also, I hope the prices of the Zendikar Fetchies would fall as well since there would be more other fetchies available for Modern.

Quote Originally Posted by TorpidNinja View Post
    Ana, Ceta, Necra, Raka, and Dega.
    Awful names.
    I'd rather use the names of the Planar Chaos Dragons: Vorosh, Intet, Teneb, Numot, Oros.

Rolling Earthquake reprint pls.

The standard "name" for UWR seems to be American. So, for example, UWR Delver gets referred to as "American Delver." Y'know, because Red/White/Blue are the colors of the American flag. Which, to be fair, can also easily apply to a number of other countries whose flags are those three colors, but I guess the US gets priority because that's where most of the players are.

Dega seems to be stuck with Dega, though.

Out of curiosity, what were the shard colors called before Shards of Alara came along? Or were there any real names for them?

Thread Information