Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your most Epic Punts

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Your most Epic Punts

This is mine.

The opponent had 3 islands in play only.

I have a wasteland, an underground sea, and a delver goyf. The opponent was down to 6 life.

On his turn, I have my sea tapped, my wasteland untaped. He proceeds to show and tell. I daze. He quickly dazes back. I was stupid I forced his daze instead of tapping the wasteland to pay. So he then forces my force, thereby winning the counter war.

He proceeds to drop an emrukhal

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: Your most Epic Punts

Oh god, I could tell a million stupid punts playing storm. I'll pick one, which people could learn from:

BoM round 6 against UWR Delver: going for Empty the Warrens after he tapped out for SFM -> Batterskull but piles up my graveyard and missed a Cabal Therapy there to flashback for the Skull.

Lesson: Check your graveyard every time you resolve EtW
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2014
    Boston

I was 5-0 in an SCG playing RUG Delver against sneak and show. Live totals were 18(me) - 13(op). My opponent was hell bent with an island a mountain and sneak attackk. I had a flipped Delver, Goose and a Goyf and three lands. I draw a fetch and hold it and attack my opponent down to 5 then pass the turn. He draws emrakul, wipes me out passes the turn. I draw stifle play fetch pass, he draws grisel.
    Playing some variety of delver.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    This is mine.

The opponent had 3 islands in play only.

I have a wasteland, an underground sea, and a delver goyf. The opponent was down to 6 life.

On his turn, I have my sea tapped, my wasteland untaped. He proceeds to show and tell. I daze. He quickly dazes back. I was stupid I forced his daze instead of tapping the wasteland to pay. So he then forces my force, thereby winning the counter war.

He proceeds to drop an emrukhal
    You know that you could still pay for his daze after the forces resolved, right?
    Last edited by Malchar; 03-22-2014 at 01:27 AM.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Playing TES against Patriot; he has lethal on the board. I had enough to go off for tendrils for 18 (after silence had resolved). To get to storm 10 I instead go for a desperate diminishing returns and whiff. He had fetched and forced earlier in the game... Tendrils for 18 was enough... But in my head he was at 20. I saw it almost immediately after the game ended. Definitely my worst punt ever.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

When I was learning TES early on in a game against 4c Cascade. I play Silence, drop 2 LEDs, Dark Rit and Infernal Tutor tapping one of my LEDs and fetch Ad Nauseam only to be 1 mana short. Maths, they're hard.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Learning how to play TES has some epic punts. Lotus petal, lotus petal storm is 2... realize I'm a red short of wishing for EtW and casting it. So pass.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

My most epic punt ever was actually in a standard PTQ years ago (back when I was an uneducated neanderthal who had never played Legacy). I was playing Grixis Control against Mythic Conscription, and I had a couple dudes and a Jace in play. My opponent had 5 lands, 1 card in hand, and an Elspeth soldier token (I had just killed Elspeth). I Brainstormed into something or other with Jace and passed the turn. My opponent peels a land off the top, drops Sovereigns of Lost Alara, and swings with a 12/12 token. Failing to bounce that seemingly harmless soldier token cost me a top eight slot at that tournament...
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Sep 2011

Reanimator vs Merfolk, finals in a small local event.

This was a few years ago the last time Merfolk and Reanimator were both good, way before TNN or Griselbrand. I think Mystical Tutor was still legal. Game 2 post-board, he starts.

After Duressing his gravehate turn 1 and tutoring EOT turn 2, turn 3 I lay a 3rd land and Entomb for Blazing Archon. He has a very aggressive board. My only reanimation spell is Exhume. He's tapped out and has 2 cards in hand. If he has Force, I lose either way. If he has Daze, I should wait til next turn. I would survive 1 more attack unless he drops a 4th land and double Lord but I definitely wouldn't survive two more. Luckily, Merfolk had 0 ways to kill a resolved Archon (Dismember falls 1 short). (ASIDE: At this point I'm really glad I opted to run the singleton Blazing Archon over Stormtide Leviathan!)

For whatever reason, I decided that at that point it was trendy for players to board out Daze for business or hard counters in game 2 (as a mind-trick, to force the other player to play around it without suffering card disadvantage when they do), so I reasoned he could not have Daze. Instead of risking losing to an unprobable lucky double lord drop, I went for Exhume right away. He Dazes.

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

I've made many stupid punts over the years but my favorite story was something one of my opponents did.

Back in like 2002 I was playing some guy with a Psychatog deck. I was playing my rock deck (I bet it had a few Spiritmonger in it!) and it was a long and grueling battle. Eventually he has 9 lands out. He puts on this shit eating grin, taps all his land, and casts Upheaval with 3 mana floating. We return all our shit to our hands and with the mana floating he casts his Psychatog.
    He smiles and says,"Want me to play this out?"
    I was a little confused so I say, "Yea, go ahead..."
    Then he starts discarding the cards from his hand to pump tog and then removing cards from his graveyard, counting all the while.
    He's like "Tog is 31/32. Declare attack!"
    "Sorry dude, your Tog's got summoning sickness." (that's what we called it back then)
    He just picked up his cards and left.
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    You know that you could still pay for his daze after that, right?
    Yup...Epic Punt

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Reanimator vs Merfolk, finals in a small local event.

This was a few years ago the last time Merfolk and Reanimator were both good, way before TNN or Griselbrand. I think Mystical Tutor was still legal. Game 2 post-board, he starts.

After Duressing his gravehate turn 1 and tutoring EOT turn 2, turn 3 I lay a 3rd land and Entomb for Blazing Archon. He has a very aggressive board. My only reanimation spell is Exhume. He's tapped out and has 2 cards in hand. If he has Force, I lose either way. If he has Daze, I should wait til next turn. I would survive 1 more attack unless he drops a 4th land and double Lord but I definitely wouldn't survive two more. Luckily, Merfolk had 0 ways to kill a resolved Archon (Dismember falls 1 short). (ASIDE: At this point I'm really glad I opted to run the singleton Blazing Archon over Stormtide Leviathan!)

For whatever reason, I decided that at that point it was trendy for players to board out Daze for business or hard counters in game 2 (as a mind-trick, to force the other player to play around it without suffering card disadvantage when they do), so I reasoned he could not have Daze. Instead of risking losing to an unprobable lucky double lord drop, I went for Exhume right away. He Dazes.

That's not a punt. That's getting next leveled

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    That's not a punt. That's getting next leveled
    That's next leveling myself leading to a punt LOL. He didn't do anything. If I had played simple, I would have played around Daze and won. By trying to next level him I next levelled myself

I don't know if this is as much a punt as much as bad time management. I was at this big tabletop gaming con. I'd been playing Werewolf, various board games and highlander quite literally all night. Around 10 the next morning I realized it was time for the Legacy tournament. I managed to scrawl out the decklist for my build of Death and Taxes in around 10 minutes. The little mistake I made was that I wrote I had 12 islands instead of plains. Thankfully they realized it was a mistake instead of making me swap my lands.

So, we come to round 3. I was rather tired by this point, not having had a chance to eat breakfast or have coffee. I was playing Merfolk which in my defense is a really boring matchup. I lose game 1 since I forget to tell my opponent to take two damage from Sword of Fire and Ice twice. Game 2 I fall asleep. Now, it was only for a short moment, but I took that as a sign and dropped. My friends still occasionally give me shit about it.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Playing TES against Sneak and Show. He taps out to play a Show and Tell, and put in Grissy. He draws some cards, and ends at 2 life. I know he has at least 2 Force of Wills from a previous probe. I have the ability to cast Silence, and combo, but I am "unable" to play around both Force of Wills, and thus enter the scoop phase…

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Oh god, I could tell a million stupid punts playing storm. I'll pick one, which people could learn from:

BoM round 6 against UWR Delver: going for Empty the Warrens after he tapped out for SFM -> Batterskull but piles up my graveyard and missed a Cabal Therapy there to flashback for the Skull.

Lesson: Check your graveyard every time you resolve EtW
    Yup. Done this about a million times.

Mine was, in top 8 at a local, I'm on Punishing Nic Fit, my opponent is on RUG delver, I have a grave titan out but he has blocker in Goyf and a delver that kills me next turn. He has one card in hand. I top eot, see Deed, Inquisition of Kozilek, and a land. I draw Deed. Cast it. Then instead of flipping top to get Inquisition to use it to take his stifle I crack deed, it gets stifled and I die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mine was today:

My opp was on 13, no flyers. I resolve Through the Breech & put emrakul into play. I think proceed to pass the turn thinking it was Show n Tell and the critter was summoning sick....

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Vancouver

weekly $5 proxy legacy with the same 8-10 dudes every week.

opponent puts thrun on the stack. shit just got real.

go into the tank a la Neo learning kung fu while brainstorming—relief crashes over me—i make a show of having a hard decision of what to put back.

i confidently cast force of will.

opponent (SCG Open champ and L2 juge): okay…it resolves then?

(making matters worse, the standers-by were discussing "can you even target Thrun with a Force?" since i was tapped out—didn't hear a word of it. the taaank man, the tank.) i think the only redeeming factor is that it was still in my first year of playing legacy, and only my 2nd or 3rd month of playing BS/FoW decks. yeesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I'm not saying sugarcoat the tournament scene, that's impossible, but for God's sake just act like a damned grown-up. Be polite, play fast-ish but allow for a little thought now and then, represent the rules to the best of your ability and be a good sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    WotC fucks up something computer related. Film @ 11.
    @warfordium on twitter.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

I'm playing Legacy Bomberman, my opponent is on some sort of U/R Cunning Wish control deck. We are 1-1 in games. We're past time, it's turn 4 of turns in game 3. My opponent casts Gifts Ungiven for Phyrexian Revoker, Engineered Explosives, Cunning Wish, and Snapcaster Mage. I give him Cunning Wish and Snapcaster Mage. He casts Cunning Wish for Price of Progress, casts Price for 10 damage, casts Snapcaster Mage targeting Price... gg....

Dec 2010
    GermOney

My most epic tournament-punt happened during my first Vintage-Event, maybe 2008. I played a Suicide Black-Build without any Power or even green Critters (what the hell is a Tarmogoyf ;) ). However, I went pretty well with 4-1 (only losing the mirror to Timo Schünemann who had Goyf and Stalkers against my Sarcomancys and Nantuko Shades ), and was paired against a blue guy (my buddies told me I have to beat him, because he is an asshole). In the last game of our match (1-1) he played a Turn 3 or 4 Tinker into Darksteel Colossus and I responded with an Eot Demonic Consultation. I named Diabolic Edict, removed the top six, whooooo no edict, so chances are good that I will find one soon before milling too much of my deck.... if I had boarded them in

Anyway, I finished 8th and won a Su-Chi.

Thread Information