Thread: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal 22: Bazaar of Guests

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

[Podcast] Everyday Eternal 22: Bazaar of Guests

Link!

In episode 22 of Everyday Eternal, Matt is joined by some of Europe’s finest to talk about their experiences at the 2014 Bazaar of Moxen. Marc König (@Bahra01 on Twitter), Jean-Mary Accart, and regular guest Julian Knab (@itsJulian23 on Twitter) discuss their deck choices, fun stories, and the future of large Eternal tournaments, such as Bazaar of Moxen.

00:50: Deck choices and changes: Julian on Elves
    05:35: Deck choices and changes: Marc on Death and Taxes
    09:58: Deck choices and changes: Jean-Mary on Shardless BUG
    17:45: The importance of byes in a large tournament
    22:08: Rising expense of running a tournament like this
    28:30: Cool stories from BoM
    52:55: Outro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal 22: Bazaar of Guests

Excellent guests and great stories.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Thanks for another great cast, and some really interesting guests. When are you guys going to admit Julian as a permanent cast member!

I'd like to chime in on the Bazaar of Moxen debate (can the tournament get back to being sustainable from a financial point of view etc):

I think the people running the BoM need to consider the impact of legacy "saturation" on the general legacy crowd. I think that the fact that there was a BoM in Paris in November, and a legacy GP in Paris in February meant that there were people deciding against going to Annecy this May. If we pretend that my profile as a Legacy player is close to representative to at least part of the Legacy player base (32 years old, married, midrange income - I don't have kids yet but I think many players are getting to that point too) then I'm not going to be able to / desire to dedicate myself to two, three or more expensive magic vacations a year. Rather I will be inclined to choose one event a year where I can justify spending 6-700euros which is what it will realistically end up costing. I think saturation is part of the reason why there were fewer players this year than expected. I think many people had gone to either the November BoM or the Paris GP and so ended up skipping the May BoM which they’d otherwise go to.

It seems counterintuitive, perhaps, to suggest lowering the amount of eternal events as they are obviously what we want more of in many ways, and obviously the BoM isn’t going to have a say on whether or not there’s going to be a legacy GP. But they might want to reconsider their plans on doing twice a year BoMs as they might end up cannibalizing each other which would be a shame.

As Jean-Mary Accart also mentions having the Legacy main event on the Friday instead of on Saturday or Sunday probably also affected tournament attendance negatively.

For my own part this was my first BoM, in fact it was my first big tournament, and I loved it

We were nine guys coming from Copenhagen, Denmark and of the nine of us, we were six that had never been to the BoM before. It was a fantastic experience for most of us and I think most are looking at going again. I know I’m planning to make Annecy in May my annual magic vacation.

Having said that, I would really hate if the prizes and entry fees were changed too much. I think that one of the lures of the BoM to some people is that you can win that big Kahuna of black boarder power 9. Even if you are just looking to sell them back to the vendor that is still such an amazing prize in terms of money which doesn’t seem to be matched by GP winnings etc.

I know you, Julian, commented on how top-heavy it is and that’s true, but it’s also what makes for a large part of the attraction I think.

I would personally MUCH rather pay 50 euro and have at least a semblance of a juicy power 9 laden prize pool (I know increasing legacy prices on staples is a real cost) than pay 35 euro and have the prizes be lowered to reflect that. I really, really don’t think the 15 euro difference is what is keeping people from traveling to Annecy and playing in the BoM. As mentioned, you pay more than 500 euros to get there and get a hotel and transportation and what not… 15 or 20 extra euros to play in the main event seems like a very small-to-non-existing barrier. As long as it isn’t increased by too much too fast and I guess that’s up to the organizers to work out that threshold.

Regarding that amount of byes I understand where you guys are coming from. I won one of the 32-man trials and was awarded 2 byes and I ended up doing quite well in the main event but at times I was telling myself “well hang on… it’s not that big of an achievement when you’re playing only 8 rounds… that’s just 2 more rounds than my weekly legacy event at my LGS”. Having said that, though, I suppose it would have been offset by having more people attend the event. 2 byes when playing 11 or 12 rounds all of the sudden doesn’t seem as decisive and it seems they were counting on more players. As it worked out well for me I was obviously quite pleased with the 32-man trials. I had purchased the 40 euro infi-trial pass and played in 4. I would definitely sign up for that again in a heartbeat next year if they have the same offer. Maybe not if only 1 bye is on offer though.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

I would agree saturation can be an issue, 2 BoM's and a Legacy GP all within six months is more events than a lot of us can manage especially when we may have to be juggling time between work, wife and children.

Now you said that paying an extra $15-20 is not a lot when you spend $2000 on a deck however this misses the point that many players have had there deck for a decade or more. At the end of the day though if you are travelling to the event you are not only going to be playing in one event. Therefore the cost of 2 main events, trials and such is going to be at least $50 more and it all adds up to the total cost of the event. Listening to the podcast it seems they needed 600 players to break even; that is a lot of pot monsters paying in for a few players to get Moxen and Duels. It does not seem sustainable.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I'm sure the fact that it was in Annecy with a plain worse infrastructure and appeal compared to Paris is another reason for the decreased attendance. Going there without a car and a limited capacity of hotels/hostels in town is a nightmare.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I'm sure the fact that it was in Annecy with a plain worse infrastructure and appeal compared to Paris is another reason for the decreased attendance. Going there without a car and a limited capacity of hotels/hostels in town is a nightmare.
    That appears to be something that's impossible to get around though. Seems that moving it to a bigger hub with more/better infrastructure increases the prices so much that it becomes truly unsustainable.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    That appears to be something that's impossible to get around though. Seems that moving it to a bigger hub with more/better infrastructure increases the prices so much that it becomes truly unsustainable.
    I have trouble believing that you can not find a decent priced location in Paris or in another french metropole like Lyon, Lille or Strasbourg, but have to held it in a small town with 51k inhabitants, I could only reach by plane to Geneva and a 40km bus-/trainride
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I have trouble believing that you can not find a decent priced location in Paris or in another french metropole like Lyon, Lille or Strasbourg, but have to held it in a small town with 51k inhabitants, I could only reach by plane to Geneva and a 40km bus-/trainride
    I won't pretend to know this for sure. Can only say that it seems to be the argument given by the organizers. I actually didn't find trasportation to, nor accomodation in, Annecy to be a problem. I flew to Geneva which is practically the same for me as it would be to fly to Paris, Amersterdam or another Central-European city and honestly, the bus ride was only a bit more than an hour and cost like 11 euro. Getting around once in Annecy, however, was a bit of a pain. I'd prefer not to have a 10-20 euro cab fare every day to get to and from the site. But I will try and avoid that next year by either hiring a car in Geneva or by sniping a hotel much closer to the venue.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    I won't pretend to know this for sure. Can only say that it seems to be the argument given by the organizers. I actually didn't find trasportation to, nor accomodation in, Annecy to be a problem. I flew to Geneva which is practically the same for me as it would be to fly to Paris, Amersterdam or another Central-European city and honestly, the bus ride was only a bit more than an hour and cost like 11 euro. Getting around once in Annecy, however, was a bit of a pain. I'd prefer not to have a 10-20 euro cab fare every day to get to and from the site. But I will try and avoid that next year by either hiring a car in Geneva or by sniping a hotel much closer to the venue.
    I don't have a problem with the hour or so spend from the airport to the hotel as it was the same in Paris and at any work related travel.

It's the lack of decent public transport, density of hotels/hostels for every purse, shortage of grocery stores or restaurants to get food and drinks once you left the venue in the evening or during rounds, lacking options for activities during evenings or the whole days you arrive/leave at Annecy (I'm usually arriving at least one day in advance and book flights monday afternoon/evening to do sightseeing till my flight goes), etc.

Join us at Facebook!

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

From what I've gathered, Annecy is far from the ideal place to hold the tournament since it's kinda lacking in various aspects compared to bigger towns.

Putting Legacy on Friday when a bunch of people still has to work certainly cut into attendance as well. I like the suggestion of going

Friday Vintage
    Saturday Legacy
    Sunday Modern

if you really want Modern to be more important. Putting THE profile format on Friday kinda sucked.

As far as price support goes, I don't think that actual cards are sustainable in the long run since prices have shown huge increases in the last couple of months and it only gets worse from there. I know BB P9 is pretty sweet and more about prestige than anything, but I think replacing cards with a decent money price would make the whole thing sustainable without having to worry that prices of have doubled again (because that's the direction we're currently heading for).

Just my 2 cents.

Перетягивание
    Feb 2012
    Canberra, Australia

Another great episode guys, very entertaining

Thread Information