Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [Magic 2015] Spoiler Thread

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

[Magic 2015] Spoiler Thread

Spoilers are starting to come out through DotP 2015 and there seem to be a few cards with potential so far.

Without listing all the currently spoiled cards, I'm just going to mention the ones I'm most interested in.

Void Snare U
    Sorcery (C)
    Return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand.

Already being talked about as having potential in TES as a wish target to bounce Leyline and other problem cards.

Chasm Skulker 2U
    Creature - Squid Horror (R)
    Whenever you draw a card, put a +1/+1 counter on Chasm Skulker.
    When Chasm Skulker dies, put X 1/1 blue Squid creature tokens with islandwalk onto the battlefield, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters on Chasm Skulker.
    1/1

Another Lorescale Coatl but without the second color requirement and an interesting ability. Granted the ability does nothing against StP or Terminus, but it does seem nice against Abrupt Decay. Also has Amazing.

Quickling 1U
    Creature - Faerie Rogue (U)
    Flying
    Flash
    When Quickling enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you return another creature you control to its owner's hand.
    2/2

Seems like it would pair with Delver (and other creatures) as a way to save them from removal while giving you another evasive beater. Could also use it to bounce value creatures like Baleful Strix. Overall the drawback seems more like it can be a benefit and the casting cost is very playable.

Military Intelligence 1U
    Enchantment (U)
    Whenever you attack with two or more creatures, draw a card.

The casting cost is low enough to have potential.

Ulcerate B
    Instant (C)
    Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn. You lose 3 life.

Another cheap removal option. Likely not better than Disfigure or Dismember, but it adds another option.

Siege Dragon 5RR
    Creature - Dragon (R)
    Flying
    When Siege Dragon enters the battlefield, destroy all Walls your opponents control.
    Whenever Siege Dragon attacks, if defending player control no Walls, it deals 5? damage to each creature without flying that player controls.
    5/5

Finally, an answer to those stupid Wall decks that plague the meta!

Goblin Rabblemaster 2R
    Creature - Goblin Warrior (R)
    Other Goblin creatures you control attack each turn if able.
    At the beginning of combat on your turn, put a 1/1 red Goblin creature token with haste onto the battlefield.
    Whenever Goblin Rabblemaster attacks, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each other attacking Goblin.
    2/2

New toy for Goblins! Pretty sure this one will likely see play.

Reclamation Sage 2G
    Creature - Elf Shaman (U)
    When Reclamation Sage enters the battlefield, you may destroy target artifact or enchantment.
    2/1

This will 100% see play replacing Viridian Shaman. I just hope it has nice art since I like the art on Viridian.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: [Magic 2015] Spoiler Thread

Sage... It's about time. Also Void is going into my Burning Tendrils deck once I finish it.

It's looking to be something other than a totally useless set. Pitty the frame sucks.

Also, I do not see that goblin doing much. Making all your guys go suicidal does not sound useful.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quickling is kinda disgusting if used to save Delver or SFM from removal. Mentioned Void Snare in the TES thread because you don't have to board in CoV for pure speculation against possible, bothersome permanents. I just love the Elf. Period.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Void Snare was made for Storm, Ulcerate was made for Highlander and that Goblin seems at least playable in Goblins if not Goblin Stompy and the Elf is a clear upgrade over its last incarnation.

This set definitely doesn't suck.

May 2013
    Germany

Nice stuff!
    Now please give us a Nissa that doesn't suck.

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

I think tes used to play Silent Departure for a while, void snare is better than that card.

I don't see -3-3 is better than disfigure, unless they print some nuts with 3 toughness...

That goblin is interesting, I doubt there could be a place for it in legacy goblin deck, but it is worth testing at least.

Overall I think most of these cards are interesting.
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinZ View Post
    That goblin is interesting, I doubt there could be a place for it in legacy goblin deck, but it is worth testing at least.
    I was thinking as a 1-2 of to use as additional Piledrivers. Seems like it would be best against Miracles for Goblins since they don't run many creatures, though I think Final Fortune may be right in that its best use would be in Goblin Stompy.

I'm wondering if Military Intelligence might have a place in Affinity since it doesn't require the creatures to deal damage, just attack. It would give Ornithopters a use when Plating isn't around.

The Goblin might help make Goblins an actual thing in Modern. Probably won't do much in Legacy though.

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Quote Originally Posted by Whippoorwill View Post
    I was thinking as a 1-2 of to use as additional Piledrivers. Seems like it would be best against Miracles for Goblins since they don't run many creatures, though I think Final Fortune may be right in that its best use would be in Goblin Stompy.

I'm wondering if Military Intelligence might have a place in Affinity since it doesn't require the creatures to deal damage, just attack. It would give Ornithopters a use when Plating isn't around.
    Goblin Stompy may be an interesting idea to try, I never have thought it before although I know there are some one working on a Goblin-version "Dragon Stompy"...

Even Piledriver is not that great today imo, 3 drop may be a little expensive. And I think this guy is weak on its own and may be good only when you have already been in a good position, namely when you already have a bunch of goblins on the board...

Actually I only wish they could functionally reprint a goblin maniac vandal to improve this deck(Tuktuk Scrapper or Tin-street hooligan is too crappy to me), even now elves get a better version of viridian shaman.
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Waste Not 1b
    Enchantment
    Whenever an opponent discards a creature card, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield.
    Whenever an opponent discards a land card, add BB to your mana pool.
    Whenever an opponent discards a noncreature, nonland card, draw a card.

Well at first sight its just too junky for legacy. But if your lucky you can chain hymns and refill your hand while making tokens. Its even good in multiples.
    I don't know if there are any legal "wheel of fortune" cards in legacy; this would be really broken. You can play anvil of bogardan but I dont think you have the time to play 2 useless cards for some engine...

Cabal therapy seems really nice! First a creature for a token then a spell to draw... You destroy their hand and get value!

Yeah and of course Burning inquiry!!! you might even get a token and cabal therapy into your grave! or an ancestral recall!

Fun fact: If you hymn a dryad arbor you get the mana and the token xD.

This could really be a fun tier 3 deck!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I feel like that card will find its home in Modern 8 Rack, as a one off in Modern Jund and that is about it. While I could be wrong, I see little else to push it in the formats.

It does mix nicely with Hymn though.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Yeah...
    The main problem is that you really want to hymn on turn 2 and not waste your turn playing waste not.

Still with burning inquiry you can get a small ritual zombie cantrip! too much fun xD

Well you can ritual it out and cantrip a dures... hmm hmm
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Waste Not 1b
    Enchantment
    Whenever an opponent discards a creature card, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield.
    Whenever an opponent discards a land card, add BB to your mana pool.
    Whenever an opponent discards a noncreature, nonland card, draw a card.

Well at first sight its just too junky for legacy. But if your lucky you can chain hymns and refill your hand while making tokens. Its even good in multiples.
    I don't know if there are any legal "wheel of fortune" cards in legacy; this would be really broken. You can play anvil of bogardan but I dont think you have the time to play 2 useless cards for some engine...
    Legacy has Wheel of Fate, Wheel and Deal, Chandra Ablaze, Dragon Mage, Reforge the Soul, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

They all kinda suck, sure, but they are in Legacy.

Chain of Vapor already exists for storm decks it is at instant speed and the downside of your opponent bouncing back something at you doesn't sound so horrible when you barely have many permanents on the field. What would make Void Snare a worthy addition?

I wonder what will be reprinted M15 though.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke is Good View Post
    What would make Void Snare a worthy addition?
    Burning Wish.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke is Good View Post
    Chain of Vapor already exists for storm decks it is at instant speed and the downside of your opponent bouncing back something at you doesn't sound so horrible when you barely have many permanents on the field. What would make Void Snare a worthy addition?

I wonder what will be reprinted M15 though.
    Burning Wish. Cheaper than Eye of Nowhere. Pretty much guarantees a slot.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Whippoorwill View Post
    Ulcerate B
    Instant (C)
    Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn. You lose 3 life.
    Another cheap removal option. Likely not better than Disfigure or Dismember, but it adds another option.
    It is another option but what gets played with 3 toughness? Serra Avenger and Fiend Hunter in D&T after that I can not think of anything this deals with that Disfigure does not; for everything else Dismember seems better since you can scale mana/life payments. Even at one mana this is slightly harder to cast needing black vs Dismember being one more life and colourless mana.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    It is another option but what gets played with 3 toughness? Serra Avenger and Fiend Hunter in D&T after that I can not think of anything this deals with that Disfigure does not; for everything else Dismember seems better since you can scale mana/life payments. Even at one mana this is slightly harder to cast needing black vs Dismember being one more life and colourless mana.
    At some point with all such cards like Dismember and this, Death's Shadow becomes solid ;)
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Deaths shadow needs more than just a lot of spells that hurt. It needs evasion. The card is inherently flawed because once you are done kicking your own ass for the Shadow, the opponent gets to decide if he wants to chump block en route to picking off your last few life points on the critical turns.

I say Dismember is a far superior card to this one...Which can be played in nonblack decks, btw.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Deaths shadow needs more than just a lot of spells that hurt. It needs evasion. The card is inherently flawed because once you are done kicking your own ass for the Shadow, the opponent gets to decide if he wants to chump block en route to picking off your last few life points on the critical turns.

I say Dismember is a far superior card to this one...Which can be played in nonblack decks, btw.
    Just made a joke because I'm bored that every time a "lose life trigger" sees the light of day, someone mentions DS. Want to be the first this time ;P

Join us at Facebook!

Thread Information