Site Contributor
    Aug 2010

Re: [Deck] Lands

Phil, your inbox is full. And yeah I played you round 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Am I the only one who thinks that this is more or less the best deck in the current meta?

I’m 3-1 or 4-0 in 5/7 weeklies at my LGS and and I just bought it on MTGO as christmas present to myself and 4-0 a daily with it after going 13-2 with it the practice room.
    I saw Bahra/Marc 4-0 a daily quite easily with Phelix’ stax build yesterday, even though he did a number of non-optimal plays (most of of which he noted himself).
    I feel slightly to very favored against pretty much everything except very fast combo, bloodmoon.dec and RIP/LotV.dec.

Here is my 76, it’s sort of a RUG Combo list, it’s been working smashingly for me.
    Land (36)
    1x Academy Ruins
    2x Dark Depths
    1x Forest
    1x Ghost Quarter
    1x Glacial Chasm
    4x Grove of the Burnwillows
    3x Maze of Ith
    4x Rishadan Port
    2x Taiga
    1x The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4x Thespian's Stage
    2x Tolaria West
    3x Tropical Island
    1x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Wasteland
    1x Windswept Heath
    1x Wooded Foothills

Instant (9)
    3x Crop Rotation
    3x Intuition
    3x Punishing Fire

Artifact (7)
    1x Chalice of the Void
    2x Engineered Explosives
    4x Mox Diamond

Enchantment (5)
    4x Exploration
    1x Manabond

Sorcery (4)
    4x Life from the Loam

Sideboard (15)
    1x Bojuka Bog
    2x Chalice of the Void
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    1x Engineered Explosives
    3x Krosan Grip
    3x Phyrexian Revoker
    1x Punishing Fire
    3x Sphere of Resistance
    I’ve been tweaking/changing 1-2 cards about once a week and I’d appreciate any input.

I’m considering switching 1 Taiga into a Savannah and 1 Tropical into a fetch, so I can change the Spheres into Thalias. Perhaps even add a Canonist. Does that make sense? I kind of like that you can dredge into the Spheres and get them back with Ruins, even though it doesn’t come up particularly often.

It would be nice with the Bojuka Bog main, as there are a lot of game 1’s against ANT and Reanimator that I would have won if it was in my main, but as you all know, it’s really hard to fit everything into the main deck.

My last change was removing a Karakas and a 3rd Dark Depths from the sideboard to add 2 more Revokers, as my singleton has been overperforming to say the least, and the Revokers will be boarded into the same matchups as I would bring in the Karakas and/or Depths, in addition to being good in a whole host of other matchups.

I could see myself removing the (3rd) Explosives from the sideboard as I rarely board it in, primarily against CounterTop and ThopterSword is what comes to mind.. but then again, all good things come in threes (Intuition).

Ooh, and a special thanks to Phelix. I only picked up Lands a couple of months ago, after you were on Bahra’s stream and spoke rather intricately and impassionately about the deck.
    I absolutely love piloting the deck and can’t see myself changing to anything else as my main deck of choice.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

I've been liking it in the meta the past year, but get comfortable vs UR and watch out vs burn. Missing Orb could cost you here and reanimator can roll over you g1.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    I've been liking it in the meta the past year, but get comfortable vs UR and watch out vs burn. Missing Orb could cost you here and reanimator can roll over you g1.
    Chasm locking is also easier/better with orb.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Yeah, I don't imagine going out without Zuran Orb in this UR meta.

Dec 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Yes, that is definitely correct.
    I’d forgotten to update my list, or rather, I don’t use Zuran Orb in paper but I rather quickly added it (to my sideboard) on MTGO after about 20% of my opponents were on UR Delver.

I’ve reasoned that my 4xThespian’s sort of fills the role of Zuran Orb (referring to the chasm->stage->stage->loam lock), but with the overwhelming presence of UR on MTGO it’s very hard to justify not playing Zuran Orb.

With that said, I usually go directly for the combo if that’s possible, as they pretty much just fold to it, especially if you have any sort of disruption, Punishing, Maze, Tabernacle or whatever, to slow them a bit.

Still, sometimes you stumble with your draws/dredges and they get the nut, so having one more way to survive/win is undoubtedly the right thing, considering their numbers.

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Have you seen the new Monastery Monk? Sounds like we're gonna need the 4th P-Fire and maybe even a second Tabernacle..

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Anen View Post
    Have you seen the new Monastery Monk? Sounds like we're gonna need the 4th P-Fire and maybe even a second Tabernacle..
    im not too concerned
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by Anen View Post
    Not in d&t so shouldn't be an issue. UWR has crap manabase. I can see a junk deck or esper deck playing this. Paired with discard it can make a nice board or paired with top they will always have a spell each mainphase to trigger off of. If I played those strategies I would love to add Intuition or Lingering Souls. They may up the basic count, but their late game is pretty low in power compared to ours.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Any you mages coming out to Philly? Looking forward to seeing us stack up in the meta.

Any you mages coming out to Philly? Looking forward to seeing us stack up in the meta.
    I'll be there, but running RG combo lands this time instead of RUG.

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Unfortunately, I moved out of this area :(

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Welcome back Loam as the only playable "Draw 3" of the format !

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Does this change anyone's take on the deck? ur will still be a thing since it's cheap and easy to pickup for scg grinders, but them losing cruise is pretty unattractive with miracles around. I had md changes due to the speed of the format, but may go back to how I had it if ur is not as fast. Cruise wasn't the issue, but with the sheer number of people playing it had to be addressed.

Interesting to note: if gy hate was crap with cruise, will it be the same without? Specifically less RiP before banning.

Aug 2012
    Japan

I played RUG Lands in GP Shizuoka side events recently and wanted to share one moment:
    Round 1 on the Draw my hand was slowish but had Punishing Fire & Grove. Having seen a room full of DnT and Dark Maverick the previous day, I felt it was a reasonable keep.

Opp's T1: Treetop Village. (Huh?)
    My T1: Wooded Foothills.
    Opp T2: Land, Burgeoning.
    W.T.F.

My first ever Lands mirror, and what a maindeck trump card! :-D
    (I took the round win by the slightest margin after an intense game 3 of cat and mouse.)
    Does anyone play this card? Is there a Lands-heavy meta where this makes more sense than Manabond?

7-4-1 over two events weren't amazing results, but I was pleased with how well I kept my concentration over the 12 rounds despite little sleep and picking up the deck cold for the first time in a bit. I'm now confident in my mental fortitude as I prepare for GP Kyoto in April.

----------------------------------------------------

Since Shizuoka I've been testing Dosferra's RUG Combo list from a few posts up and am loving it. ((Quoted below with my changes in bold)) Other than my Smokestack moving to the sideboard, I don't feel like I've sacrificed many control elements but have gained a significant amount of explosive combo potential with the 4 Stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosferra View Post
    Land (36)
    1x Academy Ruins
    2x Dark Depths
    1x Forest
    1x Ghost Quarter
    1x Glacial Chasm
    4x Grove of the Burnwillows
    3x Maze of Ith
    4x Rishadan Port
    2x Taiga
    1x The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4x Thespian's Stage
    2x Tolaria West
    3x Tropical Island
    1x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Wasteland
    1x Windswept Heath
    1x Wooded Foothills

Instant (9)
    3x Crop Rotation
    3x Intuition
    3x Punishing Fire

Artifact (7)
    1x Chalice of the Void ((Flex slot))
    2x Engineered Explosives
    4x Mox Diamond

Enchantment (5)
    4x Exploration
    1x Manabond ((Crucible of Worlds))

Sorcery (4)
    4x Life from the Loam

Sideboard (15)
    1x Bojuka Bog
    2x Chalice of the Void
    1x Crucible of Worlds ((Smokestack))
    1x Engineered Explosives
    3x Krosan Grip
    3x Phyrexian Revoker
    1x Punishing Fire
    3x Sphere of Resistance
    I've tested 10 matches so far. Losses to Painter. Wins vs Elves, Dredge, Affinity, Monowhite control.

The cards I'm considering for the maindeck flex slot are Chalice, Bojuka Bog, Karakas, and the 3rd EE.
    Chalice has been excellent when naturally drawn but slow to tutor for. Bojuka Bog, with the 3x Crop Rotation, gives us critical T1-T2 interaction vs Reanimaror, Dredge, and ANT. Are we expecting an increase of Sneak & Show? (karakas)

I'd love to hear other suggestions, especially re: sideboard construction or meta shifts.

Does this change anyone's take on the deck? ur will still be a thing since it's cheap and easy to pickup for scg grinders, but them losing cruise is pretty unattractive with miracles around. I had md changes due to the speed of the format, but may go back to how I had it if ur is not as fast. Cruise wasn't the issue, but with the sheer number of people playing it had to be addressed.

Interesting to note: if gy hate was crap with cruise, will it be the same without? Specifically less RiP before banning.
    What were your changes since you posted your previous list?
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours."

My 1994+ Magic Cube

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by Sockosensei View Post
    What were your changes since you posted your previous list?
    I have been going with md Chalice for the past 2 weeks. I have a higher percentage of fast combo kills like infect, storm, elves, and ur in my meta. Explorations were cut for this change as I favored the disruption over enabling Loam/Zuran Orb. Controlling the mana didn't do the job when their curves were so low anyway and a hand with Exploration turned out to be an auto mulligan. I'll be sticking with it for a while and I like the freed up slots for Sneak.

Just curious as to why lands player do not Sylvan Scrying or Realms Uncharted?

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by ZeinVoncy View Post
    Because Crop Rotation and Intuition do the job better.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by ZeinVoncy View Post
    Tolaria West is miles better than a spell. Tried Realms, but another Intuition is strictly better. However, they could be options if you don't run blue.
    Last edited by snorlaxcom; 01-24-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Dec 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Bleh.

Played in a 37 people tournament yesterday (so post-TC), 6 round swiss with top8.
    I used the same list as a few posts back, except the maindeck Manabond is a Crucible now, which felt like a upgrade, and the maindeck Chalice changed places with the sb Bojuka Bog.
    Ended up 10th, while not catastrophic, not reaching top8 was definitely below my expectations, considering how the deck has performed for me at the weeklies and dailies.

Faced 2x DnT, 1x Miracles, 1x Junk Nic-Fit, 1x ANT, 1x Esperblade. While not bad matchups by any stretch, other than the ANT (which I beat 2-0), neither mana denial nor Marit panned out, as both Basics and Swords were abound.

There was plenty of Patriots and BUGs there, but they all eluded me somehow.

And while I know it’s not kosher to blame bad luck, I had several games pretty much locked up and felt like I was 90%+ to win and then I didn’t draw/dredge anything of value for an inordinate amount of time. If just one of those games had gone my way, I’d been in the top8.

Anyway, I guess a positive to take from all this is that the deck is so resilient that it still performs reasonably well even on a “bad day”.

Any suggestions on good sideboard alternatives against DnT, preferably something that’s good against other control decks as well?
    RiP and Cataclysm in conjunction with their normal game plan isn’t particularly enjoyable to say the least.

Thread Information