Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] RUG Lands

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Re: [Deck] Lands

Quote Originally Posted by Arksz View Post
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=98022

Fourth place in this weeks SCG legacy event. More of a bug control deck splashing lands wincons and card advantage?
    Sorry if this is already a thing, a bit out of the loop.
    A do nothing bugstill deck of years ago that used to run deeds and Ghastly Demise. Look it up. Has DD as another wincon.

I agree with the player as I don't see that Lands overlap. Burn matchup was always bad with that deck. Some players sb Chill and others just planned on dodging burn.

Nice that he used 2 Tabernacles. Watch yours $$ lol.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Finals are winding down, so I managed to record a game off mtgo. Never had cards before to do this on my account and my mws games were a little too hard to follow. Still working on everything in terms of presentation and production in my down time. Using laptop mic, so I need to articulate more and be a bit closer to the mic in the future or just get a headset. And no I didn't plan for this to be the first matchup I recorded, lol.

part I: https://youtu.be/jNlvIeyzcd0
    part II: https://youtu.be/WrhKlUzUz-k

ps: my special needs cousin is in the background noise

What list do you play? I see some strange cards like Kiora, Revoker, Trinisphere...sounds really cool, can you share your list??

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by meso94 View Post
    What list do you play? I see some strange cards like Kiora, Revoker, Trinisphere...sounds really cool, can you share your list??
    You can see his list here: https://youtu.be/jNlvIeyzcd0?t=401. Obviously it's not as good as a text version but for the time being it will do right?

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    Finals are winding down, so I managed to record a game off mtgo. Never had cards before to do this on my account and my mws games were a little too hard to follow. Still working on everything in terms of presentation and production in my down time. Using laptop mic, so I need to articulate more and be a bit closer to the mic in the future or just get a headset. And no I didn't plan for this to be the first matchup I recorded, lol.

part I: https://youtu.be/jNlvIeyzcd0
    part II: https://youtu.be/WrhKlUzUz-k

ps: my special needs cousin is in the background noise
    Thanks for the videos snorlax, always nice having more RUGx lands content. I don't know if this was intended but in part2 of your video there is no commentary. Other than that everything sounded good, and there was really no background noise (at least that I could hear).

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    You can see his list here: https://youtu.be/jNlvIeyzcd0?t=401. Obviously it's not as good as a text version but for the time being it will do right?

Thanks for the videos snorlax, always nice having more RUGx lands content. I don't know if this was intended but in part2 of your video there is no commentary. Other than that everything sounded good, and there was really no background noise (at least that I could hear).
    There is a quick deck tech vid I am currently loading, but internet takes foreeeeever here. I'll post a more in depth deck tech when I finish assignments tomorrow. The one I'm loading already assumes the viewer has experience with this version. Either way I'm keeping the vid up to see my progress in speaking and segueing. I can already see lots of points where I don't finish a thought right away and this may confuse the viewer. I'm working on it!

The description in the second video says sounds/commentary is lacking because I thought my Windows 10 recorder program stopped. After the rudimentary deck tech vid I'm switching to Apowersoft.

Current List

4 fetch
    2 trop
    2 taiga
    1 forest
    3 grove
    2 thicket
    2 tolaria west
    1 karakas
    1 bog
    1 academy ruins
    3 stage
    3 maze
    4 waste
    4 port
    1 tab
    1 dd

3 intuition
    1 crucible
    3 pfire
    4 loam
    3 crop
    4 exploration
    3 ee
    4 mox

sb
    1 kiora crashing wave
    4 grip
    3 trini
    3 revoker
    4 chalice

There is a quick deck tech vid I am currently loading, but internet takes foreeeeever here. I'll post a more in depth deck tech when I finish assignments tomorrow. The one I'm loading already assumes the viewer has experience with this version. Either way I'm keeping the vid up to see my progress in speaking and segueing. I can already see lots of points where I don't finish a thought right away and this may confuse the viewer. I'm working on it!

The description in the second video says sounds/commentary is lacking because I thought my Windows 10 recorder program stopped. After the rudimentary deck tech vid I'm switching to Apowersoft.

Current List

4 fetch

2 trop

2 taiga

1 forest

3 grove

2 thicket

2 tolaria west

1 karakas

1 bog

1 academy ruins

3 stage

3 maze

4 waste

4 port

1 tab

1 dd

3 intuition

1 crucible

3 pfire

4 loam

3 crop

4 exploration

3 ee

4 mox

sb

1 kiora crashing wave

4 grip

3 trini

3 revoker

4 chalice

How good is Kiora in this deck? In what MUs does she enter from sideboard?
    About your list I have some different though about sideaboard:
    I really prefer Pithing Needle cause his mana cost and the ability to survive against our tabernacle.
    Also I rub sphere of resistance instead of trinisphere cause it is cumulative and costs 1 less to play, 2 sphere can work together, instead trinisphere is only one...
    But the strange Kiora is very interesting, can you explain something about this choice?

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by meso94 View Post
    How good is Kiora in this deck? In what MUs does she enter from sideboard?
    About your list I have some different though about sideaboard:
    I really prefer Pithing Needle cause his mana cost and the ability to survive against our tabernacle.
    Also I rub sphere of resistance instead of trinisphere cause it is cumulative and costs 1 less to play, 2 sphere can work together, instead trinisphere is only one...
    But the strange Kiora is very interesting, can you explain something about this choice?
    I explain in the rough deck tech (will be up in about 90 minutes: https://youtu.be/pwLs0y7A2g8) my choice of brown hate, but Trini is game over in many more cases against decks with a free spell agenda. Vs omnitell Trini is just superior. They have to Show and you don't have to play trini ever. Just keep mana for port and grip. Sphere makes Show 4 mana? That can still be done turn 2 and congrats because now your grip is 4 mana. The rest of the board plan vs these decks buys enough time to land a Trini or baits out the counter magic in the meantime. That is also the reasoning for revoker over needle as hellbent is largely reliant on LED. You can buy a good amount of time vs Storm cutting off hellbent and then play out more brown hate while also reducing the power of Ad Nauseum as Revoker gets in the beatdown. Revoker also compliments many situations where you want chalice at 1 and the ability to hit other cards if you topdeck a revoker or use Academy if it died (also easier to reset than a needle). Having revoker and Tabernacle conflict to a significant degree is very rare to be honest. When do you want both of them in play? Vs decks where it disrupts them a hell of a lot more than you (elves, ETW in storm, and some vial decks?). Just tap a land here and move on. Revoker dodging Spell Pierce and Duress is another big reason over needle. I can see needle vs Lands variants and vial decks, but not much else.

Kiora is a card I wanted to play for a while, but wasn't willing to play her in $30+ event without significant testing. I play her online because I couldn't find a smokestack originally. Jace has been played here in the past (some md), but Kiora giving us a fog and ticking up was real attractive in a planeswalker. Vs decks that keep wasting your mazes she can keep a dude in check if you don't EE in time or if it is out of pfire range. She is fine in matchups where I don't dredge like mad (planning for the long game), so I'm not bent out of shape with having a nonrecurable card in the sb. She did win me a game vs burn. After some games I think I'd play her in an event. She was the flex slot of worm harvest/smokestack/XXX.
    Last edited by snorlaxcom; 01-28-2016 at 07:29 PM. Reason: video loaded

Aug 2012
    Japan

@snorlaxcom

Thank you for taking the time to make the video. I hope you will continue and record a range of matchups.

re: the match vs RG/CL, I was surprised that you sided out so many EE, since I thought one of the goals in the mirror was to control who gets to keep an Exploration effect in play. I smiled when the opponent tried to bait you into wasting a juicy untapped Stage (while a forest was available to copy).

What are your thoughts on Ghost Quarter and Glacial Chasm these days?
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours."

My 1994+ Magic Cube

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by Sockosensei View Post
    @snorlaxcom

Thank you for taking the time to make the video. I hope you will continue and record a range of matchups.

re: the match vs RG/CL, I was surprised that you sided out so many EE, since I thought one of the goals in the mirror was to control who gets to keep an Exploration effect in play. I smiled when the opponent tried to bait you into wasting a juicy untapped Stage (while a forest was available to copy).

What are your thoughts on Ghost Quarter and Glacial Chasm these days?
    Between chalice/ee chalice always does something and controls the board more effectively than ee. 1 ee is insurance vs their enchantments that we rarely need to play more than once, so this frees up some slots and ups Intuition's power.

Gq trumps Lands variants and is useful vs miracles (moreso if you have crucible), but I'm liking the fourth fetch a lot as it has noticeably allowed me to keep more hands. Gq is useful in a cloudpost/maritocracey meta where these decks md needle for waste/port. Decks that have lots of basics are usually good for us (tribal/vial decks), but decks with 1-3 basics we are well equiped anyway or gq is hardley relevant (elves/shardless/sneak). I love me some gq as that presents itself as a wincon. However, I will admit that I do miss gq vs storm and reanimator quite a bit. It makes all the lock pieces much more devestating along with port/waste. I am going to try to fit it in for these matchups if I expect them in the room.

I haven't played chasm in a year I think. I like that the deck is a bit more focused on closing out the game while using stages to help in that regard. Chasm lock is gg vs decks we are already stomping out. Vs burn you can't expect much except keep your lands in check for price eot and combo them asap. I prefer zuran orb rather than chasm because twest for chasm has many instances where you already used a land drop. Vs burn orb is enough and chalice is ideally on one so crop is nixed. Chasm seems like a crutch in the matchup and it is still winable without it. Chasm has merits vs infect, so keep one in your binder in case you find a good infect player.

I'm not going to lie. I usually hate on suboptimal fluff in RUG lands builds, but Kiora seems pretty sweet.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Lost lots of videos I was going to voice commentary on ): However, I was able to find a couple of vids with in game commentary and uploaded them overnight. I am going to be using a mix of MTGO, MWS, and Cockatrice for my online matches. In the future I'll even post some games from testing partners. I won't be posting any of my paper magic games for quite a few months since there is no legacy scene here in Ecuador, so please bear with me until I'm reunited with my baby back in Maryland.

I have added a link to my Youtube channel in my signature as well as in the videos category in the primer. I am also going to be editing the primer in general for legibility. Sound off if you have any suggestions, too. You can subscribe to get my latest Lands content or wait until I make a post here saying it uploaded (although I may forget to do this). Finals are over so more vids to come, enjoy!
    Last edited by snorlaxcom; 02-04-2016 at 02:29 PM.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Lost lots of videos I was going to voice commentary on ): However, I was able to find a couple of vids with in game commentary and uploaded them overnight. I am going to be using a mix of MTGO, MWS, and Cockatrice for my online matches. In the future I'll even post some games from testing partners. I won't be posting any of my paper magic games for quite a few months since there is no legacy scene here in Ecuador, so please bear with me until I'm reunited with my baby back in Maryland.

I have added a link to my Youtube channel in my signature as well as in the videos category in the primer. I am also going to be editing the primer in general for legibility. Sound off if you have any suggestions, too. You can subscribe to get my latest Lands content or wait until I make a post here saying it uploaded (although I may forget to do this). Finals are over so more vids to come, enjoy!
    Looking forward to more content!

I just watched your Lands vs RUG Delver 1.0-1 game. Was there a reason for playing so passively? It sucks that we skipped our first turn but... it seemed like you could have played the mox pitching karakas and a land and started loaming putting ourselves pretty far ahead. It would have also allowed us to dig deeper for answers to his delver. If he dazes/forces, he is just putting himself behind and even then he can't keep on countering loams forever.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Looking forward to more content!

I just watched your Lands vs RUG Delver 1.0-1 game. Was there a reason for playing so passively? It sucks that we skipped our first turn but... it seemed like you could have played the mox pitching karakas and a land and started loaming putting ourselves pretty far ahead. It would have also allowed us to dig deeper for answers to his delver. If he dazes/forces, he is just putting himself behind and even then he can't keep on countering loams forever.
    I was playing around the daze by waiting for the land drop but he had the pierce. It may seem like I was slow rolling but I was being protective of my only green source and I was trying to make the most of the rest of my hand to buy time because him wasting my last green source leaves me at nothing and takes pfire off of the table. Although, I was too hasety with the waste and didn't play mox my t2. I wouldn't have loamed here, but having the mox in play for t3 loam would have definitely changed the game. I was also concerned about blowing up my mox with ee@0. Hopefully an interface fail won't egg on me in the future.

Invasive Surgery is going to make life a lot harder for us. :(
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/sh...vasive-surgery
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    Invasive Surgery is going to make life a lot harder for us. :(
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/sh...vasive-surgery
    Damn, super powerful in delver decks. Chalice def not moving from the board.

Edit: not that bad since 2 max in the sb for delver to round off matchups vs sneak and maybe lands
    Last edited by snorlaxcom; 02-09-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Has anyone played against the new eldrazi stompy deck?
    It looks like we will have a favorable win percentage against them and their only out to a Marit Lage is Eldrazi Displacer to blink the token.

I had a good showing at my LGS splitting for first but beat back to back death and taxes players.
    I did drop one game against them total but one match was only one game long.
    It took the entire 50 minutes to beat one opponent in turns.

He got an early Aether Vial then Thalia on board and then Vryn Wingmare.
    It would've been over there but my first turn before Thalia I pitched Rifstone Portal to my Mox Diamond to turn all my lands "on".
    I needed the mana so much that I would play a Glacial Chasm, tap it for green then sac it to itself.
    I slowly built a board and stabilized at 15 life. Glacial Chasm and three Thespian's stage made sure he couldn't attack.
    For insurance I played my Ensnaring Bridge and Gambled for Worm Harvest and beat him down with 28 tokens.
    I would Punishing Fire my own tokens that were being blocked by Batterskill and anything equipped by his Jitte.

I play something similar to Brandon Semerau's list:
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=79583

One change I made was to take out the Tropical Island but I still play with one Academy Ruins...

Quote Originally Posted by Arksz View Post
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=98022

Fourth place in this weeks SCG legacy event. More of a bug control deck splashing lands wincons and card advantage?
    Sorry if this is already a thing, a bit out of the loop.
    We tried to start a conversation here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...G-Depths/page2

But the deck lacks a little focus and things got out of hand. After the banning of DTT I could not justify playing BUG control splash lands over RUGb lands. One of the downfalls is that you are trying to be a control deck but then sometimes decide to go all in with the crop rotation for the win. If that fails then you are hooped and not exactly how typical control / prison decks like to finish.

/c

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    Has anyone played against the new eldrazi stompy deck?
    It looks like we will have a favorable win percentage against them and their only out to a Marit Lage is Eldrazi Displacer to blink the token.

I had a good showing at my LGS splitting for first but beat back to back death and taxes players.
    I did drop one game against them total but one match was only one game long.
    It took the entire 50 minutes to beat one opponent in turns.

He got an early Aether Vial then Thalia on board and then Vryn Wingmare.
    It would've been over there but my first turn before Thalia I pitched Rifstone Portal to my Mox Diamond to turn all my lands "on".
    I needed the mana so much that I would play a Glacial Chasm, tap it for green then sac it to itself.
    I slowly built a board and stabilized at 15 life. Glacial Chasm and three Thespian's stage made sure he couldn't attack.
    For insurance I played my Ensnaring Bridge and Gambled for Worm Harvest and beat him down with 28 tokens.
    I would Punishing Fire my own tokens that were being blocked by Batterskill and anything equipped by his Jitte.

I play something similar to Brandon Semerau's list:
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=79583

One change I made was to take out the Tropical Island but I still play with one Academy Ruins...
    Eldrazi is worse version of mud in terms of fragile manabase, weaker threats, and not as explosive.

Just changed out 2 manabond for ee and orb spell wise, but manabase wise I don't like the absence of the forest and noo way to remove blood moon. Meta must have been soft Lands players and no sneak&show. Cutting the trop is risky since only way to get ruins activation is off of a mox if stage has no blue targets in play. More than one trop doesn't make sense without twest, but 1 is the minimum. Cutting down to 2 maze I'd want to recur EE as consistently as possible.

Does anyone tested Grim Tutor in place of Intuition ? I wonder if a RGBu or RGB Lands deck could be better with all black stuff (Grim Tutor, Raven's Crime, Syphon Life, etc.) than the regular blue package (Intuition and Tolaria).
    IT IS TWO AND A HALF MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Quote Originally Posted by markkugel View Post
    Does anyone tested Grim Tutor in place of Intuition ? I wonder if a RGBu or RGB Lands deck could be better with all black stuff (Grim Tutor, Raven's Crime, Syphon Life, etc.) than the regular blue package (Intuition and Tolaria).
    I can't imagine Grim Tutor replacing the utility of Intuition. Intuition is a three-fer demonic tutor that is instant speed and has no life loss.

Thread Information