Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] RUG Lands

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: [Deck] Lands

Good to hear, now just win all of day two and force those morons to put you on camera.

Good luck.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Good luck to all Lands players at GP :)

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Lol crispin. The casual 'I made day two, not gonna mention I 5-0d a grinder and 9-0d day one'
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Aug 2012
    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    I don't know him, but there is a small contingent of lands players here.

Yeah, I am at the GP and made day two with R/G lands
    Brilliant! May you not face any mirror matches until top 16.

Our Legacy GP (Kyoto) isn't until April so I've been testing every possible RUGx configuration I can think of to find out which builds work better in which matchups and which suit my play-style. I'm often held back by my intense desire to Crucible-Ghost Quarter all mana producing lands before making a 20/20

Intuition + Crop Rotation
    Intuition + Enlightened Tutor (+1x Manabond)
    Jace
    Ajani Vengeant
    Smokestack / Worm Harvest in combination with the above
    Mindslaver

Sadly, I just don't have the time to play as many matches as I would like because of family commitments and my crazy work schedule. I appreciate all of the tournament reports, build suggestions, and sideboarding tips posted by the Lands veterans.

Looking forward to following everyone's progress tomorrow.
    Best wishes,

Socko
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours."

My 1994+ Magic Cube

Dec 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Daryl is playing RUG pyromancer and Jody is playing R/G lands
    Yeah, I am at the GP and made day two with R/G lands
    Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Lol crispin. The casual 'I made day two, not gonna mention I 5-0d a grinder and 9-0d day one'
    That's amazing, good luck today, already looking forward to the reports :)

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

At this point we still have 2 undefeated players from what I have been told playing Combo. Its round 14, I think we will have 2 Lands decks in the finals. Yea.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Oct 2011
    Denmark

I played 5color lands in the sunday super series with 450 players, finishing 22nd with 7-2-1.

I lost round one, because I was so sleepy ;)

Didn't play lands at the main event.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Finished the main event 10-4-1 for 212th place. So many great games with fellow Sourcers. Could have made better decisions in the moment to up my win column, but happy to catch mistakes and continue to learn. Great meta choice overall. Only change I would make is a fourth pfire in the list. Wouldn't have changed the wins or contributed to losses, but 4 seemed to be the correct number for this gp.

Ended up going 5-4 on day 1 losing to Snorlaxcom in the mirror (good learning experience for me ha!) as well as Elves twice and UR delver once. The first elves player I lost to felt un-winnable but he was VERY skilled with the deck. My first loss was to UR delver against a very slow player and I made some mistakes as I was playing very fast to avoid going to time. Had I spent one of my turns fetching Zuran orb when I had chasm out I think I would have beat him in 2 but alas.

I did manage to beat Oops all spells in about 8 minutes. There's something about beating down with a revoker (naming LED) with 2 spheres and a chalice on 1 out that just brings joy to my heart.

My other wins were vs delver and stoneblade variants (mostly UR/UWR). I will likely play the deck again in an upcoming team tournament at my local store as the legacy player on the team. I get the sense that there is a pretty low number of wastelands and Rest in Peace in the meta right now which makes the chasm lock seem so good to me. Thank you all for the good advice, very useful as a new player to the deck!

Cheers,

EDIT: My list

Lands: 36
    3 Trop
    1 Bayou
    1 Taiga
    3 Green fetch
    1 Forest
    3 Grove
    2 Tolaria West
    4 Wasteland
    4 Port
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Urborg
    3 Maze
    1 Tabernacle
    1 Chasm
    2 Depths
    2 Stage
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas

Spells: 25
    4 Mox diamond
    4 Loam
    4 Exploration
    1 Zuran Orb
    3 Punishing Fire
    2 Explosives
    3 Crop Rotation
    3 Intuition
    1 Crucible of Worlds

Sideboard:
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Golgari Charm

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by iostreamer View Post
    Ended up going 5-4 on day 1 losing to Snorlaxcom in the mirror (good learning experience for me ha!) as well as Elves twice and UR delver once. The first elves player I lost to felt un-winnable but he was VERY skilled with the deck. My first loss was to UR delver against a very slow player and I made some mistakes as I was playing very fast to avoid going to time. Had I spent one of my turns fetching Zuran orb when I had chasm out I think I would have beat him in 2 but alas.

I did manage to beat Oops all spells in about 8 minutes. There's something about beating down with a revoker (naming LED) with 2 spheres and a chalice on 1 out that just brings joy to my heart.

My other wins were vs delver and stoneblade variants (mostly UR/UWR). I will likely play the deck again in an upcoming team tournament at my local store as the legacy player on the team. I get the sense that there is a pretty low number of wastelands and Rest in Peace in the meta right now which makes the chasm lock seem so good to me. Thank you all for the good advice, very useful as a new player to the deck!

Cheers,

EDIT: My list

Lands: 36
    3 Trop
    1 Bayou
    1 Taiga
    3 Green fetch
    1 Forest
    3 Grove
    2 Tolaria West
    4 Wasteland
    4 Port
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Urborg
    3 Maze
    1 Tabernacle
    1 Chasm
    2 Depths
    2 Stage
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas

Spells: 25
    4 Mox diamond
    4 Loam
    4 Exploration
    1 Zuran Orb
    3 Punishing Fire
    2 Explosives
    3 Crop Rotation
    3 Intuition
    1 Crucible of Worlds

Sideboard:
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Golgari Charm
    Nice playing against you, too! The last game you blinked for a second and I pounced. Your md is 3 cards off mine, but how did you come to your sb and will you alter it for your next event?

Taxing sphere effects have recently been low impact in testing vs young pyromancer or flipped delver on the draw and it feels like crap when elves just NO anyway, but I kept them as a hail Mary and couldn't find Slaughter games. They won me games vs omnitell and reanimator in day2 and contributed to slowing down burn enough to lock them out day 1.

I feel that Pfire is critical enough in this UR meta to the point where I want access to 4. I was fortunate enough to have my Intuitions resolve a higher than normal percentage of the time at the GP, but having openers or dredging into one more often fells assuring.

That maindeck 61 looks familiar... :p

Congrats to everyone who played at the GP! Seems like we had some real good contenders.

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Waiting for reports. It is always nice to read them. :)

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    Nice playing against you, too! The last game you blinked for a second and I pounced. Your md is 3 cards off mine, but how did you come to your sb and will you alter it for your next event?

Taxing sphere effects have recently been low impact in testing vs young pyromancer or flipped delver on the draw and it feels like crap when elves just NO anyway, but I kept them as a hail Mary and couldn't find Slaughter games. They won me games vs omnitell and reanimator in day2 and contributed to slowing down burn enough to lock them out day 1.

I feel that Pfire is critical enough in this UR meta to the point where I want access to 4. I was fortunate enough to have my Intuitions resolve a higher than normal percentage of the time at the GP, but having openers or dredging into one more often fells assuring.
    I think I am pretty happy with the 76. I am definitely happy with the 61, though I know what you mean about the spheres. I lost to elves twice, even with sphere in play they just NO or kill me with Deathrite Shaman. I am not sure what would be better in this situation. Perhaps more Revokers to stop key elves? Though I guess that doesn't do much to stop NO. I do not want to lose points to fast combo decks like Storm, Belcher, even Dredge by not having those spheres handy. Sphere definitely won me the game vs Oops all spells which I would have probably lost otherwise.

I definitely see the value in always having Pfire but I'm not sure if you really need 4. Dredging loam and having Intuition usually did a pretty good job of finding it for me. Though it's true that I was almost always happy to see the card in the match-ups I played.

I think I am pretty happy not playing Bob right now, lack of Rest in Peace and lots of burn doesn't seem to favor him but I could be wrong here. I do really quite like the chalices as some versions of delver only have access to like 12 spells if you land a chalice on 1 (Force, Cruise, Fireblast, price...). I think decks that can afford to run chalice bring a lot to the table right now.

Sparkii: This was actually my first time trying your MD list. I was previously on the smokestack version for a while and I did like that but with treasure cruise meta we have now I think this version is better.

No reports yet :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    UR Delver man forcing you to play it out then asking for the ID after he got his dick smashed seems scummy.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by jake556 View Post
    No reports yet :(
    Omw

Also seen you deck in the PIMP thread very nice Just picked up the last few cards I needed for lands as well big ticket items 4 sphere, 2 Manabond.....

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Just failed at SCG Richmond, for the first unimpressive performance. missed money on tiebreakers to end it at 72nd place.

I was on control lands as usual. Lost to aggroloam and ANT. (close games, lost game 3 in turn 10 with 2 ethersworn as GGs on top of my deck)

Funny experience at that event.

A match went to time. and my opponent suggest that whoever has the best position should get a scoop when time is up.

When time is up, i have 19 life, exploration, maze, loam and glacial chasm recursion. 6 lands in play.

My opponent has 3 lands, two of them non basic and a true name nemesis (perhaps a stoneforge as well)

He then insists to be the overwhelming favourite at this point, despite having no way to interact with my board and actions. His reasoning was that he would eventually counter a loam and that would instantly let him win.

I kinda laughed.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

GP NJ Report

Got smashed in 4 GPT on Friday. Only made it to round 2 twice. Beat a n00b Elves! player (reminding him to draw for every spell felt horrible when I had no outs besides judge warnings) and Shardless BUG. Lost to UR delver, 2 X burn, and Miracles. Was not feeling good about the next day's meta after looking around at how much red and UR there was. In testing that same week I got in some helpful reps vs ur and burn to formulate sb plans of play vs draw but it seemed to fall apart that Friday. Really regretted missing two open weekends in my area in August that would have pushed my 600 pwp to well over 750...

I registered for the main event with 15 minutes to spare and felt like I threw some dollars away (later remembered the door prizes), but I was loads better as a pilot now than at last year's event so what the hell I'll jam these 76 again.

1 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Taiga
    1 Bayou
    1 Forest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Tolaria West
    3 Maze of Ith
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Karakas
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Ghost Quarter
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Dark Depths

3 Intuition
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Life from the Loam
    4 Exploration
    3 Crop Rotation
    1 Zuran Orb
    3 Engineered Explosives
    4 Mox Diamond

SB
    3 Krosan Grip
    3 Dark Confidant
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Chalice of the Void

Wake up and enjoy a rnd 1 bye. I scope out the action a bit after a jamming a few games with friend. Not so much for the confidence boost, but I haven't played the deck much since August and need to get some iterations polished.

1-0

After making the pilgrimage to my rnd 2 opponent I now have a some empathy for the crowded chicken coops PETA demonizes.

Round 2: Nice Esper Deathblade Gentleman w/Delva
    G1 I resolve Intuiton

G2 I mul to 5 and he T1 seizes my removal. I get another piece of removal for his Deathrite dork. He gets some offense with TNN, but then I start to lock him out of mana after resolving an Exploration and successive Loam. I go for Tab-ing the TNN out since that is the only threat I can't readily handle. I could EE it away now, but I am at >15 life and I'd rather stick to playing more mana sources/denial first since he so can't stick any other TNN or Meddling Mage to stop the Loam engine. Also want to get the value off Loam before he finds an extraction effect. He never gets more than 2 lands and casts Containment Priest on my endstep when I am sitting at single digits. On his draw step he has no permanents.

2-0

**Hopefully we can hit greedy/ambitious manabases all day

Round 3: UR Delvaaaa
    G1 During shuffle phase guy flashes a Volc and a tarn so could be Sneak or UR. Leads with a ponder so could still be either (maybe even painter). I keep a hand with Pfire and toast any dorks he pays Tabernacle for. Chasm lock makes it fancy and he submits when Orb tables.

G2 Get chalice @1

3-0

Round 4: Burn
    G1 I get maze out too late and die to red cards

G2 side in stax effects and stick a chalice at one and Maze the threat in play. Flame Rifts me for 4 on t3 and i draw another chalice. I now if he untaps I can die to a PoP/fireblast or he will just eot smash the chalice at one. I consider chalice for 1 again but he would have smashed the chalice at 1 already. I also consider gripping my own chalice, playing exploration, and then playing another chalice at 1 but there were too many holes there and not enough mana to do in one turn safely. I chalice for 2 sitting at 9 hit points. He needs to rip aces to get through through this setup and I like my chances even if I can't Loam or Pfire ftw. There is now a series of draw/land/go which I am unsure how to win out of now. I draw an Intuition and sit on it for a turn. I can't sit on it any longer and make an eot pile of Crucible, twest, ee. I goofed and he gives me EE. Should have made it Crucible +2xtwest to get Academy ruins and then cast my Loams in hand to dig for win cons while playing lands with Crucible to safely hide behind chasm. Yes Loams are countered but with Crucible in play I just want to dredge to find win con or Orb. So I topdeck DD and slam it down. I start thawing the glacier down a few turns and then rip another Intuition. Yes! Finally I can make up for that last foul up. He then casts rift bolt. 6 life left, but he passes the turn. I think a bit and eot get 2x twest + stage. He's predictable and gives me twest. I tutor for Academy and recover the binned Crucible next turn. EE is out on 3 to answer a bloodmoon and I play stage from the yard and summon Marit. He shows me one fireblast. Whew!

G3 Only stax effect out is 3sphere. Eidolon is Pfire'd and I am forced to Chasm early. I hold off on chalice in hand and play exploration. I find one and start to gain some traction with Loam running and an Orb in play, but he sticks vortex next turn. I port him to only play one spell per 1 turn cycle. He jams 2 bridges in play over the next turns. Meh. I tutor for Academy when I find a twest. Pretty dumb. Needed to have gotten stage to maintain chasm lock at all times. I am at 4 so I have one turn to get it right. I pay life and go to 2 the next turn, tutor for stage, and copy it in my upkeep now able to let original chasm go to then Loam it back. I grip his vortex before my next untap step so Orb comes back online. Time is called and I demonstrate I will always have chasm in play and 12 lands to sac to orb. I show EE loop for bridges and he gives me the match.

4-0

Round 5 BGw Nic Fit
    G1 I see Explorer early and try to shape a hand to deal with the deck, basically wait for Ooze to table. Intuition resolves and I maze his bskull and pfire all other threats. Hasn't hit fatties yet? Game takes a while and he scoops up when I thaw the glacier.

G2 stax effects are sided in but I'm dumb and don't play lead with chalice for 1 because I ported instead. Derp. He extracts Loam and extirpates my single thicket?? I then Chalice for 1 to stop DRS, yard hate, swords, and discard at least. I port him off green the next 6-8 turns to prevent a GSZ from getting anything of relevance and EE lock is primed to handle anything that might slip through the stranglehold. Loam digs through my deck and I make a witch to finish him off.

5-0

Round 6 Kurt Speiss on RG Lands
    G1 we play in the same local events and we mulligan for wastelock hands, but he wins the roll. He opens on exploration and I slow roll mine a turn. He plays another one and I EE them both away and play my own Exploration. He is able to get a third Exploration and pulls away as I don't have meaningful dredges at this point and has cycle lands already going with a waste. I prep for g2 (we never draw these games).

G2 He keeps 7 and I mull to 5: taiga, mox, 2 bob, exploration. I play mox, exploration, and pass on the slight chance he has t1 sphere. The next time I see a land I play bob, but he already has loam digging for several turns and just played seismic assault. My 5 outs here are to top deck a revoker or grip+land in the next two turns. I don't and sign the slip before I get fisted by the earth. (He ends up 10-4-1)

5-1

Round 7 Royce Walter on ANT
    G1 we played each other at an SCG trial so we know what to expect. I keep a hand with interaction and he has a slowww hand. I make a field of recurring bog and an Orb with 6 lands out. He then combos me out seeing that he can't wait another turn for me to gain more life.

G2 feeling okay that I didn't take out trusty 3sphere today. Don't remember if I had 3sphere and it was discarded, but I keep a hand with t2 bob and die the next turn.

5-2

Round 8 Iostreamer mirror
    G1 he has interesting lands out and notice they are all the ones i am playing, mmmm. There is hope he is on a BUG planeswalker build, but cat is out of the bag when loam comes to the party. He gets summons a witch that I dismiss. I crop into bog at some point and slap for 20.

G2 I get an exploration + waste + loam out and he has no loam going. In turns he ticks down DD at eot, but taps out. I respond with a crop for stage to copy his iceberg (he had an untapped Ghost Quarter preventing me from doing this earlier). With karakas rfg he could only buy a time with a maze because I had karakas ready for his token.

6-2

Round 9 Maritocracey
    G1 see into the north and call DD, but he gets a swamp. I now what's coming and face down a traitor Marit Lage faster than I expected. I loam back lands and mul over whether to play maze, karakas, or chasm. I go with karakas to bounce it while he's tapped out because chasm is vulnerable to waste and maze is also hit by pithing needle. He has Not of this World as one of the two cards in hand and I die.

G2 he makes an early marit, but I resolve Karakas' main ability on it. Whew! I get my waste on and make my Marit fight for me once more.

G3 chalice@1 X 2

7-2

Day 2!!

Just wanted to play more legacy cause I dropped $80 on Friday for some shitty games. Starting to get my money's worth.

Round 10 Dude on Manaless
    G1 I am overconfident that I start day 2 with a bye and didn't play bog from hand to ensure shit didn't happen. Shit happened and I died.

G2 Trinisphere

G3 keep hand with grip and exploration. He leads off with leyline and I grip it t2. I don't draw lock pieces or lands to keep up with perfect dredging and free creatures and die a slow death when Marit arrives fashionably late.

7-3

Round 11 Omnitell Ur
    G1 he probes and sees lands and Intuition. I play exploration and raise my eyebrows when it gets forced. He brings spaghetti to class and I come with a bayou. With once card in his hand I can safely play Intuition and get 3x crop to then get karakas. I port his manas and waste his topdecked tombs. He scoops them up as he sees how much time has passed since he last remembers playing a spell.

G2 Bob shows me the way to manipulate all the mana and also likes smacking the other guy. I Land Trinisphere and revoker gets in on the action too.

8-3

Round 12 Jake Maldowsky Reanimator
    G1 he was on fair decks every time we've been previously paired, but I should have been up to date on my scg coverage since he just played in the finals with this. I keep a pfire, Intuiton, and maybe a loam? He knows what he's dealing with and Tyrants me to zero hp.

G2 t1 bob starts things off and he has early reanimation for grizzlybran. I like flipping all my 3 drops at this point and get to a low life total where I need to setup a turn to kill bobs with an EE and waste all of Jake's mana to kingdom come. I end up flipping Orb and continue to draw mana crads and could just kill him with 2/1s, but he scoops when I make a creature with perfect eyesight.

G3 chalice@1. We end up in turn 5 and he has exhume as his out for Tyrant, but needs to hit a mana source in his next draw step. I need to hit a land to twest for bog and nuke his yard. He realizes the odds and extends the hand.

9-3

Round 13 D&T
    G1 He waits for me to dredge my deck away and then finish him.

G2 He gets some aggro on and I can't keep up when my mazes are meddled with.

G3 I demonstrate a marit lage every turn with pfire for blockers, but he plays for the draw. Pevent this by starting g1 at 50 on the clock and not 47.

9-3-1

Round 14 Rock Lee, aka Jerimiah Rudolph, Post
    G1 LOL! We realize we were just conversing two rounds earlier about his deck. I keep a hand to make mana an issue for him, but he seeps through the cracks and resolves S&T to ritual in a titan. Eldrazi soon follow after I take 6.

G2 He gets some manas and I try to make that life difficult for him. I see a point where he is tapped out of colored mana and eot make a witch my bitch. I hit him down to 1. He plays Titania retrieving a Misty and passes. I swing with my biatch and know that I'm running into a --- yup, repeal... I pass the turn and he sacs Misty eot. We found the 21st point of life loss.

G3 This is a gift and I keep a meh control hand of grip, exploration and lands. Pretty dumb because no need to relearn how important chalice at 1 is. Was preoccupied about nyxing top and lost handily. I'm sorry Hollywooooood!!!

9-4-1

Round 15 Patriot
    G1 He was on Sneak and Show at Eternal Weekend and played a ponder off a Volc so thought about the sb plan already. I do my lands thang and am relieved to find his T2 stoneforge dork play. I fire it faster than Donald Trump and start the stranglehold of his tierras.

G2 I get chalice out I think and he gets dudes in play that die cause they don't got back. A rogue merfolk doesn't play that so he smacks me around for 3 turns. I'm holding Tab since turn 0 and just amass wastelands in play and once I resolve an Exploration I claim his land faster than the US government.

10-4-1

I have played this deck tighter before and I don't believe I am eligibly to get prize for my performance, but I do and it's sweet.
    Placed 212th for $200.

Shoutout to all my opposing mages. I was worried about shuffle cheats and bogus judge calls, but we came to kill based on skill so thanks for the intense games. I'll still be rocking this deck for a while since nothing else comes remotely close to what I want to be doing in Magic. 1 year down and many more to go.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

I notice three EE and just one stage. Could you elaborate a little on these choices and how they worked out for you?

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Also, losing to post is a sin

Thread Information