Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] RUG Lands

Nov 2014
    Geneva

Re: [Deck] Lands

Hi guys!
    I'd like to share my report of a little local tournament (12 players) I won yesterday night in Geneva.
    I played the following list:

Main Deck (63):
    4 Life from the Loam
    4 Exploration
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    3 Maze of Ith
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Tabernacle
    1 Glacial Chasm

4 Mox Diamond
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Taiga
    1 Forest
    3 green Fetches
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows

1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 Thespian Stage
    2 Dark Depths

3 Crop Rotation
    3 Intuition
    3 Gamble
    2 Tolaria West

3 Punishing Fire
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Somkestack

Sideboard (15):
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    4 Krosan Grip
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Zuran Orb
    1 Seismic Assault
    1 Primeval Titan
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Karakas

Round 1: LEDless Dredge 2-0 (Alain)
    G1: He starts (I think I didn't won the dice once that evenning) and opens with Gemstone Mine into Careful Study, discarding no dredgers, which makes me quite happy: a great match-up for me, and he kept a bad hand, with a lot of drawing effect and lands. He won't be able to start fast enough and I quickly lock him with Exploration, Chasm, Loam, Tabernacle Waste, and then make a safe 20/20 turn 5-6.
    G2: The second on is a bit harder, since he's got a nice start and quickly assemble some Ichorids and Narco, while i managed to cast Sphere of Resistance befor he cabals it. That slows him just enough to let me stabilize at 7 life with Chasm and Loam,. I then find Tabernacle and later Bojuka with Tolaria ftw, befor he can Dread Return his Flame-kin Zealot. This one was more tense.
    IN: + 4 Sphere of Resistance, + 1 Karakas
    OUT: -1 Smokestack, - 3 Intuition (I felt like they would have been cabal'ed anyway), -1 x .
    1-0.

Round 2: Tempo Thresh (RUG Delver) 2-1 (Edward)
    I know what he's palying. It's a rather good M-U, but things can fall apart quickly if they have the right cards.
    G1: He starts with T1 Ponder, T2 Tarmo. I respond with Maze of Ith. He then plays T3 Tarmo, T4 Tarmo. Ok. I transmute for Tabernacle. I also have Waste and Loam, and clean his board as I still have 9 hp.
    G2: I ull to 6 and keep a slow hand. He quickly has a 3/3 Mangoose with a 4/5 Tarmo, and has 4 lands. I have no exploration and got counterspelled my tutors. Died quickly.
    G3: I mull to 5 but find a good hand with P.fire, Loam, Waste, Forest and Mox. He opens with Double Delver. I find a 2nd Punishing Fire. Then Waste-lock ftw.
    IN: + 4 Krosan Grip for Artifact Hate
    OUT: - 3 Intuition, -1 Tranquil Thicket
    2-0.

Round 3: OmniTell 2-1 (Paul-Henry)
    He's my mate and we both know what each other is playing. The only good thing for me is that he's quite new with the deck. But still, I exspect to loose this one.
    G1: He starts and go S&T into Emrakul T3 and even FoW'ed one desperate Gamble.
    G2: I sided 11 cards, and open with an awesome hand, with 2 Sphere, some green Mana and the Combo. I maybe missplayed by casting one of the Sphere instead of waiting for him to S&T. But the 2nd Sphere resolved and bought me time so I could make a token at the end of his 4rd turn and thne swing for twenty.
    G3: I think I mull to 6, and find another great hand with some decent manabase, Krosan and Sphere. I stupidly play sphere again, which will be countered again (!). He S&T into Omniscience and still has to find some cantrips: I play Krosan Grip. He was a pit pissed after I found another Sphere which resolved. I then Tolaria into Karakas and then assemble the combo FTW.
    I don't remember well thoses games, so some things might be incorrect, but the idea is still there. Both last times I play with him in small tournaments, he was on Imperial Painter and me with RUG land. I won 1-0 twice. I donno if I am blessed or if he's cursed, but it just ain't normal ^^.
    IN: + 4 Sphere of Resistance, + 4 Krosan Grip, + 1 Seismic Assault, + 1 Primitive Titan, + 1 Karakas
    OUT: -3 Maze of Ith, - 2 Explosives, -2 P.fire (keeping one in case the D.Depths gets surgical'ed), - 1 Smokestack, - 1 Chasm, -1 Tabernacle, -1 Ghost quarter.
    3-0.

Round 4: Burn (1-0-1) (Daniel)
    G1: I keep a hand with P.fire Tropical Island, exploration, Mox, Tolaria, Thepsian Stage and 1 other cards. He starts and open with Lava Spike. I go for Trop, Mox, Exploration, and Thespian. T2 He palys Eidolon which meets P.Fire EoT. T2 I go for Tolaria into Darkdepths, and kill him befor he does the same. Pfiu!
    G2: This one was a really hard and interesting game. I mull to 6 and find a decent hand with Tropical, Tolaria, Loam, Crop, Thespian and something irrelevant, like P.Fire or something. He opens with Monastery. I play Tropical, go. He suspends Rift Bolt and attack again, go. I play Tolaria, go. At his upkeep, he plays the Rift Bolt. In response, I crop sacking Tolaria and finding Chasm, which makes me sacrifice my Tropical. He plays another Swiftspear and Lavamancer. So at the beginning of my 3rd Turn, I have Chasm and nothing else. I draw: not a green source. So I play Thespian Stage and pass. He can't make anything relevant, so he plays Lavamancer and probably tried to build a instant-deadly hand to unleash letal damage at the second my Chasm would die. Which will never happen. 2 Turn after, I manage to find a green source, and starts dredging and find another Thespian Stage. I still don't have any Exploration, but I soon have a Thespian which is a copy of Chasm and another Thespian in play with Loam active. The problem is I don't have multiple landdrops, so I have to take some additional damage from Chasm to be able to transmute Tolaria into Zuran Orb, which brought me infinite Chasm until he can find Smash to Smithereens. He eventually finds it, but at that time I had Tolaria'ed again into Academy Ruin, so I know i can't die anymore. It was the last round and my opponent wouldn't councede, so i just go infinite Chasm and slowly assembled Dark Depths combo. He played Ensnaring Bridge. Well, I went for P.fire Combo instead and then found a Krosan Grip. But as I knew I had won. We went to time befor I could kill him, and i won 1-0-1.
    4-0.

So I ended first and won a Revised Badland, which is really cool for a 12 player tournament! I got really lucky with my openning hand, but didn't win any dice, so I guess it's balanced (a bit) =P.
    I was happy with the deck and didn't do too much horrible mistakes (or haven't noticed them...). Land is definitely a really interesting and fun deck to play!

Some thoughts I had:
    1/ I felt like my list was a bit under-optimal; I am not happy with the idea of a 63 cards maindeck (I actually wonder: is it really that problematic to have 62-63 cards in this deck?).

2/ 3 Intuition, 3 Crop Rotation, 3 Gamble and 2 Tolaria West are too much tutors (11!). And that's where I want to ask you guys what your opinion about this is. Tolaria West was really awesome, but it was sometime hard to find UU to transmute, so i wonder how list with only 2 Tropical Island manage to play this card efficiently. Maybe I should only play 1 Tolaria if I go for a splash (and thus -1 Tropical), but again: Tolaria felt really great, so I'd like to keep playing 2 of them (not more, though).

3/ Also, 3 Gamble might be a problem here. I am considering going back to 1 taiga and no Gamble, but I am not sure about this. How do you feel about Intuition AND Gamble AND Crop Roation? Maybe something like 3 Intuition, 1-2 Gamble, 3 Crop Rotation and 2 Tolaria West? Also, is it viable to play Gamble with only 1 taiga?

4/ I want to play both Smokestack and Crucible in the 75. But which one would be better in the maindeck? I don't feel like I have space for both of them maindeck, especially since...

...5/ I would also like to find a place in the maindeck for Karakas, because there is way too much OmniTell around, and Reanimator also comes back. But I don't feel like swapping Bojuka for Karakas. The Upside of having Karakas maindeck would be that it will allow the white splash (alongside with Savannah, of course).

6/ Since I want to add so much in the maindeck, I have to find some cards to remove: maybe I should go down to only 1 Dark Depths again. But I am scared of blind dredge into DRS, leading to the loose of the combo. Don't you guys have problems with only 1 Depths?

7/ I am not satisfied with my sideboard:
    - Seismic Assault is great in the RG Combo version, but is not as good in our RUGx version. Is a good anti-Moon Tech, but is not viable if we slpash another color. OUT.
    - I don't know what to think about the Titan, though: it's really good against every S&T.deck and Miracle, but I am allready well equipped against Miracle, and OmniTell is a 90% sure loose anyway. So I might bring this big guy out too, with regrets. Probably OUT.
    - Zuran Orb is a must-have and help us a lot against red and combo decks. I will keep this one. KEEP
    - Curcible of Worlds...well see 4/.
    - I didnt use the Revoker in this tournament, but is I go for White splash, I would prpobably play Aethersworn Canonist over them, maybe alongside with some Thalia, I don't know yet. So what do you think about 1-3 Canonist and 1-3 Thalia (up to 5, maybe 6 creatures maximum)? Which one would be better?
    - Krosan Grip and Sphere of Resistance: KEEP both of them x4, without any hesitation. I really feel like Krosan > Decay in the actual metagame (Miracle, OmniTell, Death and Taxes...)

Thank you guys for reading this report, it was maybe a bit long for such a small tournament! I'd also like to appologize for my english if I've maid too much mistakes: it's not my langage.
    Also, any feedback would be much appreciated!
    Cheers!

Oct 2011
    Denmark

1: You could argue that Karakas is actually not good enough right now, unless you are playing canonist and gain extra value of a white source

2: 63 cards sounds nuts :P

3: Id like to play both stacke and crucible, stack being the most important card here.

4: (no worm harvest aye?)

5: i dont have a problem dreding into 1 depths vs deathrite. since you dont do it most of the time. and by that I mean you calculate the odds of it being ok or not. with a secondary win condition you are also in better shape (see 4)

6: Seismic assault is a trap here. or a dead end, or whatever. if you go there, you will get mugged.

7: yes, krosan grip is better than decay atm. 3-4ofs.

8: Spheres. I cant imagine not playing 4. They even do weird stuff and beat dredge.

9: I personally am not playing zuran orb in my 76 right now. "combo" either doesnt care about life totals or its ANT/storm combo. Im currently on an 8-0 run vs that in paper anyway.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix View Post
    6: Seismic assault is a trap here. or a dead end, or whatever. if you go there, you will get mugged.

7: yes, krosan grip is better than decay atm. 3-4ofs.
    R/G lists run Assault for an answer to Moon. With a Loam online you can do 4-6 damage a turn through Blood Moon (which also facilitates triple red). I'm thinking of trying it in RUG.

I've been thinking the same thing about Decay, and am considering dropping black altogether. I only splash it for MD Tar Pit and SB Decays and a Drownyard. I want to try Boseiju instead of Drownyard anyway; and as much as I like the security of the second win-con, mostly Tar Pit has just been a CIPT U.Sea.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

With how common blood moon is right now assault is actually fairly reliable. Most decks with blood moon that I have seen are still super light on graveyard hate, which is good for us.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Dec 2014
    Philly area

So this is what I've been playing at a local store's Monday night Legacy events. They're fairly casual events and I have a win percentage of about 50%. I recognize that I make an enormous number of mistakes per match and am trying to get better (poor sequencing, poor lines, etc).

Anyway, I'll be going to my first ever SCG IQ (Baltimore) this weekend. My goal is simply to sideboard well and have a cohesive sideboard plan since I'm really bad at that. My current plans are below the decklist and if anyone wouldn't mind picking apart my reasoning, I'd be super grateful!

3x Crop Rotation
    3x Gamble
    3x Intuition

3x Life from the Loam

1x Crucible of Worlds
    2x Engineered Explosives
    4x Mox Diamond
    1x Smokestack
    1x Zuran Orb

4x Exploration

1x Academy Ruins
    1x Bayou
    1x Bojuka Bog
    2x Dark Depths
    1x Forest
    1x Ghost Quarter
    1x Glacial Chasm
    3x Grove of the Burnwillows
    3x Maze of Ith
    3x Punishing Fire
    4x Rishadan Port
    2x Taiga
    1x The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    2x Thespian's Stage
    1x Tolaria West
    2x Tropical Island
    1x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Wasteland
    1x Windswept Heath
    1x Wooded Foothills
    //SB
    3x Abrupt Decay
    2x Krosan Grip
    1x Dark Depths
    1x Thespian's Stage
    1x Karakas
    1x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Chalice of the Void
    2x Sphere of Resistance
    2x Trinisphere

A quick word on the deck: I'm trying Trinisphere out in the sideboard slots. Gamble has been wonderful and the two Taigas give me a very reasonable burn plan. I've never had problems casting Abrupt Decays off of my singleton Bayou since people never Wasteland my dual lands (Maze of Ith or Thespian's Stage are usually higher priority targets).

Sideboard plans:
    • Burn: -1 Engineered Explosives, -1 Academy Ruins, -1 Crucible of Worlds, -1 Smokestack, +1 Dark Depths, +1 Thespian's Stage, +2 Krosan Grip. This is a race between my life total and my ability to pump out a Marit Lage. The 10 tutor version of RUG lands is pretty good at winning on turn 4. Grip is for Pyrostatic Pillar and Sulfuric Vortex. Abrupt Decay costs black- a problem against the deck running multiple copies of Price of Progress.
    • Merfolk: -1 Bojuka Bog, -1 Ghost Quarter, +2 Abrupt Decay.
    • Elves: -1 Smokestack, -1 Ghost Quarter, +1 Dark Depths, +1 Thespian's Stage. Elves is cold to Marit Lage so I'm bringing more copies in. Sphere of Resistance, Trinisphere, and Chalice @ 1 also seem incredible here but I'm unclear on what to cut.
    • GWb Maverick. +2 Krosan Grip, +3 Abrupt Decay, -1 Intuition, -1 Tropical Island, -1 Tolaria West, -1 Smokestack, -1 something else.
    • Ponder Miracles: -2 Maze, -1 Zuran Orb, -1 Bojuka Bog, -1 Glacial Chasm, -1 Tabernacle, -1 Crop Rotation, +2 Krosan Grip, +3 Abrupt Decay, +1 Revoker, +1 Chalice of the Void. Punishing Fire is important since it wastes mana and hurts Jace, one of their most potent wincons. A second Chalice would be great here since Chalice @ 1 is very, very painful.
    • Legendary Miracles:
    • Punishing Jund: -1 Crucible of Worlds, -1 Smokestack, -1 Tolaria West, +3 Abrupt Decay. Permanent heavy decks are great at fighting Smokestack so I won't bother with that. Abrupt Decay can hit key cards like Lili, Dark Confidant, or Deathrite Shaman in the event Punishing Fire isn't up yet.
    • Reanimator: -1 Maze of Ith, -1 Zuran Orb, -1 Tabernacle, -1 Grove of the Burnwillows, -1 Punishing Fire, -1 Smokestack, -1 Engineered Explosives, +2 Chalice of the Void, +2 Trinisphere, +1 Dark Depths, +1 Thespian's Stage, +1 Karakas
    • Shardless BUG:
    • RUG Delver: -1 Intuition, -1 Smokestack, +1 Dark Depths, +1 Thespian's Stage. This is another fast matchup where having Punishing Fire and a fast combo matter a lot. Chalice @ 1 seems like a fine play here, though, but the rest of the deck seems extremely well-equipped to handle anything RUG is throwing at us.
    • ANT/TES: +2 Chalice, +2 Trinisphere, +2 Sphere of Resistance, +1 Thespian's Stage, +1 Dark Depths, +1 Phyrexian Revoker, -1 Punishing Fire, -1 Grove of the Burnwillows, -3 Maze of Ith, -1 Smokestack, -3 other cards?
    • Omnitell: +2 Krosan Grip, +2 Trinisphere, +2 Sphere of Resistance, +2 Chalice of the Void, +1 Thespian's Stage, +1 Dark Depths, +1 Karakas, -1 Bojuka Bog, -1 Tabernacle, -1 Punishing Fire, -1 Grove of the Burnwillows, -1 Zuran Orb, -3 Maze of Ith, -1 Crucible of Worlds, -2 other cards?
    • Death and Taxes: no good clue, never played against it. Abrupt Decay and Krosan Grip seems great, though.
    • UW Stoneblade: ?

Jul 2013
    New Haven, CT

Quote Originally Posted by mgrinshpon View Post
    [*]Burn: -1 Engineered Explosives, -1 Academy Ruins, -1 Crucible of Worlds, -1 Smokestack, +1 Dark Depths, +1 Thespian's Stage, +2 Krosan Grip. This is a race between my life total and my ability to pump out a Marit Lage. The 10 tutor version of RUG lands is pretty good at winning on turn 4. Grip is for Pyrostatic Pillar and Sulfuric Vortex. Abrupt Decay costs black- a problem against the deck running multiple copies of Price of Progress.
    I would highly suggest brining in Chalices here. Chalice on 1 can save you many turns to setup a kill / control the board.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by mgrinshpon View Post
    Anyway, I'll be going to my first ever SCG IQ (Baltimore) this weekend.
    What was your result?

Oct 2011
    Denmark

I played REAL lands at GP Lille.

Started 6-0, then 6-0-1.... then 6-2-1. (#174 of 1567)

True story.

Will post list.

Interesting spoiler notes:

+ choke, Iona
    - zuran orb, ensnaring bridge, chasm
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Dec 2014
    Philly area

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    What was your result?
    I got slaughtered. I'll write up a tournament report while commuting to work in the morning over the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanzoll View Post
    I would highly suggest brining in Chalices here. Chalice on 1 can save you many turns to setup a kill / control the board.
    So after the aforementioned bloodbath, I really dislike Chalice. Chalice is great on 0 against storm and nowhere else. In all of the games that I drop a Chalice, making Marit Lage is one of my most important plays, right? Burn, Elves, Omni, Storm, and a few other decks are completely cold to everyone's favorite 20/20. Chalice on 1 shuts down Crop Rotation and Gamble (if applicable), the former of which is such a key card in the matchup.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Id play 3 in the main if i had the room.

The chalices is amazing on 0 against storm but it can do more harm than good anywhere else. I don't think it does enough to keep it's slot.

I think I would have cut it from my top 8 list at Lille at the weekend if I had for maybe another sphere effect or a second Choke. The Pithing Needle was also one that I am still not sure was worth included but I don't know what I would cut it for.

Dec 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Chalice is pretty lackluster in RG Lands I agree, but in RUG Lands it's amazing. Whenever I find room for it, I have one in the main, otherwise 3 in the sideboard. They more or less come in against every blue/cantrip deck, switching places with the crop rotations.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

This thread is for lands. Not that RG atrocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Skuttlespike View Post
    The chalices is amazing on 0 against storm but it can do more harm than good anywhere else. I don't think it does enough to keep it's slot.

I think I would have cut it from my top 8 list at Lille at the weekend if I had for maybe another sphere effect or a second Choke. The Pithing Needle was also one that I am still not sure was worth included but I don't know what I would cut it for.
    Congrats with the result, as I assume you're Alex Mortimer from Lille's top8. I'd be interested in a little report from all 15 rounds + top8!

This thread is for lands. Not that RG atrocity.
    But perhaps better in the RG thread, as it seems a touchy issue ...

Very sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes. I'll move over to the 'right' Lands thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Skuttlespike View Post
    Very sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes. I'll move over to the 'right' Lands thread.
    Its ok. Its just same deck base with 2 different iterations. RG lands is a good deck too, its just a preference, there is no clear winner which is better one as it depends on meta.

New stuffs to test this evening at LGS legacy weeklys.

Mainboard
    -1 grove of burnwillows
    +1 bayou

Sideboard
    -1 ensnaring bridge
    -1 zuran orb
    -1 smokestack
    +2 slaughter games
    +1 miren the moaning well

Last week while testing, found that slaughter games was really good against show and tell. Resolving 1 naming show and tell basically ends the game straight out.

Decided to up the count to total of 3. Lots of things to name against miracles too.

Cut ensnaring bridge due to it only being good against our good creature based matchups

With slaughter games, I don't need smokestack anymore to further grind out miracles.

Tryout miren the moaning well instead of zuran orb to create a moat for at least 4 turns under chasm.

Report coming in 12hrs time after the weekly event.

Jun 2011
    Russia, SPb

Quote Originally Posted by nolink View Post
    New stuffs to test this evening at LGS legacy weeklys.

Last week while testing, found that slaughter games was really good against show and tell. Resolving 1 naming show and tell basically ends the game straight out.
    unfortunately that's not true. Cunning wish for Release the Ants, any cantrip for keeping a card with a big cmc on topdeck, Release the Ants for mana, clash for the win. Everything needs no more than 3 mana, if Cunning Wish is played at the end of our turn.
    Also sometimes they can win with Young Pyromancer, as we are forced to side out most of the creature hate.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

I played REAL lands at GP Lille.

Started 6-0, then 6-0-1.... then 6-2-1. (#174 of 1567)

True story.

Will post list.

Interesting spoiler notes:

+ choke, Iona
    - zuran orb, ensnaring bridge, chasm
    Choke and Iona?

And should we rename that thread Real Lands ? xD

Quote Originally Posted by door View Post
    unfortunately that's not true. Cunning wish for Release the Ants, any cantrip for keeping a card with a big cmc on topdeck, Release the Ants for mana, clash for the win. Everything needs no more than 3 mana, if Cunning Wish is played at the end of our turn.
    Also sometimes they can win with Young Pyromancer, as we are forced to side out most of the creature hate.
    Of course it is to resolve slaughter games before omniscience in play. If its in play the game is supposed to be over isn't it?

I'm not expecting my opponent to hardcast omniscience.

Even if he float emrakul on topdeck and release the ants, the clash will only return it to their hand.

I still keep chasm no matter how I sideboard as an insurance to transformation sideboard like young pyromancer in show and tell.

Thread Information