Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] RUG Lands

Dec 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Re: [Deck] Lands

Quote Originally Posted by Anen View Post
    They don't bitchtalk because nobody in the "LED" Dredge thread is posting report about Manaless, nor having discussions about Manaless, nor asking to rename "Dredge" into "LED Dredge". There are "Dredge" and "Manaless Dredge" threads, I don't see why Lands and RG Lands are an issue..
    RG players are coming in this thread to set fire to the oil, not the opposite.
    I think the issue is that since SCG bills RG Combo Lands as just Lands and that is the deck that's been placing, people will assume Lands = RG. Same goes for podcasts and articles, when they talk about Lands they mean RG and maybe mention in one or two sentences that a long time ago in a galaxy far far away there was a RUG version.

P.S. Don't shoot, I play RUG, just saying why RGs keep popping up in here and why it's unlikely to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosferra View Post
    I think the issue is that since SCG bills RG Combo Lands as just Lands and that is the deck that's been placing, people will assume Lands = RG. Same goes for podcasts and articles, when they talk about Lands they mean RG and maybe mention in one or two sentences that a long time ago in a galaxy far far away there was a RUG version.

P.S. Don't shoot, I play RUG, just saying why RGs keep popping up in here and why it's unlikely to stop.
    That might very well be the case, and perhaps if SCG mentioned RG along the line, it would be cleaner. But it's impossible and I think also unpreferable to chirurgically split up both threads.
    Impossible because both versions are very alike, the difference is what, like 8 cards? They share many strengths and weaknesses, and sometimes one version can inspire the other. Like RG splashing blue for EE/Ruins, which has been discussed several times on the other thread. Or Rug with a combo-orientation, with 2 depths, 4 Stages, 4 crops. That's enriching and where it's preferable to have some crossover.

It should be possible to reflect on other versions in function of the possibilities for this RUG-thread, without fearing any flaming reactions. Thing is, some people who were playin RUG for years have been allergic to RG of the very first beginning, which lead to the separate RG-thread (which wasn't the peaceful gift of RUG to RG as previously mentioned, RG simply got banned, in an unnecessary unrespectful way). Rg's putting up some great results these days, why not look at what makes the difference and see what works for RUG too?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I disagree that the threads should not have been split. On Salvation, you end up with people talking past each other all the time because the two decks do handle in fundamentally different ways. I can understand the wish to try and keep things contained to keep the conversation flowing, but there is honestly not a lot a Combo player can ad on a talk about how to pick the best Artifacts, best Intuition piles or just over play the deck since they don't handle alike.

You combine the Lands threads and you end up with a clusterfuck, it's not smart. Even if the difference between the decks looks small on a deck registration form, they are world's apart once you start playing them and they really do need that separation for discussion health.

As for how people react to those who play Combo, that's on them and them alone but I do understand the frustration when someone pops in and asks "Is Stifle good still in RUG" and everyone else is like "Your in the BUG thread mate". Granted that frustration is one thing, Elitist attitudes about which deck is the best or how Combo is a plague or some other BS is not helping no one.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Keep cleaning up what you see fit Jander78. This conversation is nothing new and will probably happen in the future, which is also part of the frustration on behalf of myself and other Lands players.

I am going to be picking up the deck again after 6 months off of mtg, so hoping to give you guys some testing results, reports, and of course more pimpness.

So with the return of Tranquil Thicket to the decklists what are people's thoughts on Horizon Canopy? Especially in builds that are also running Crucible.

It seems to me that being able to use the land early for mana in the early turns and not feel punished like you would playing an early Thicket would be pretty good but admittedly I have not played the deck much when cycle lands were popular so perhaps I am just missing something.

Also Snorlax post your current list? ;)

What I love with Horizon Canopy is that you can cheat it in play with Crop Rotation and still use it to save a Life from the Loam.
    It dosent look that wrong to run it instead of Thicket... may be we should give a try ! :')

Dec 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by iostreamer View Post
    So with the return of Tranquil Thicket to the decklists what are people's thoughts on Horizon Canopy? Especially in builds that are also running Crucible.
    I used to play a 1/1 split and liked it more than 2 thickets.

And now for something completely different.
    I definitely feel the time is right for main deck Chalice. I'm not sure to what extent though. Back during the Treasure Cruise era I played 1 mb and 2 sb. I liked it a lot, as you can get it with Tolaria West or even Intuition in conjunction with Academy Ruins.
    However, I’m think that going a step further might be good/correct. One alternative would be going to 2-3 mb and still keeping the Crops, as Phelix is currently testing.

And lastly what I’m considering is going up to 3-4 mb and taking out some/all Crops, is that just too crazy? It feels anathema to even consider taking out the Crops, but that is how I board in more than 50% of the games I play (vs. fair blue decks). Chalice is still a nonbo with Exploration but my reasoning would be that if you have Exploration you’re in a pretty good spot and if you have Chalice, well that just about as good as well. Of course it sucks not being able to Crop for Bog vs. Dredge, Reanimator or grab the Tabernacle vs. some fair non-blue deck etc, but frankly how often does that come up compared to playing vs. Miracles, Grixis etc? And it’s not like Chalice is weak vs. those decks anyway.

So, what are your thoughts? IIRC you used to play a 4x Chalice version Snorlaxcom?
    The best answer would obviously be just to test it, but I’ve been abroad for nearly a month now and I’m gonna play in an invitational/league finals shortly after getting back home.
    I assume that Omni, Grixis (delver and control) and UWx (miracles, mentor countertop, blade) will, at the very least, be 75% of the meta in that tournament.

I am actually testing the same thing. I was playing a smokestack md, but cutting it for cotv i think is the right call at the moment. It gives you additional points against miracles (cantrips, swords, top) as well as a piece of hate against combo g1.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by n0ct3m89 View Post
    I am actually testing the same thing. I was playing a smokestack md, but cutting it for cotv i think is the right call at the moment. It gives you additional points against miracles (cantrips, swords, top) as well as a piece of hate against combo g1.
    I dont think cutting stack vs miracles is correct. playing both seems perfect.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Not saying cut stack for the matchup, im cutting stack entirely right now. It hasnt been all that fast, and it seems like the meta will start to speed up a bit in response to miracles being everywhere

Oct 2011
    Denmark

soo i found my little piece of paper from the GP:

The list:

Decklist:

4 life from the loam
    4 exploration
    3 crop rotation
    1 sylvan library
    1 worm harvest
    3 intuition
    3 punishing fire
    4 mox diamond
    2 engineered explosives
    2 chalice of the void

4 wasteland
    4 rishadan port
    2 tolaria west
    2 tropical island
    1 forest
    1 taiga
    1 bayou
    3 grove of the burnwillows
    3 maze of ith
    3 fetches
    2 thespians stage
    1 dark depths
    1 tabernacle
    1 academy ruins
    1 ghost quarter
    1 karakas
    1 bojuka bog
    1 urborg, tomb of yawmoth

Sideboard:
    2 CHOKE
    4 dark confidant
    3 sphere of resistance
    3 krosan grip
    3 Iona, shield of emeria

Clearly this list hates blue. For that reason i cut a tropical to make chokes possible. Whenever chokes go i, 1 trop comes out.

Round 1.

Its burning hot and my opponen never shows. His free bottle of water is my won ante for the match.
    1-0

Round 2
    R/G Combo lands.
    Game 1:
    I win the die roll. His first turn reveals what he is on, so I use my second turn to secure a chalice for 1.
    My 3rd turn produces Sylvan Library and 4th turn a chalice for 2. He now cannot play any spells and I have an active engine. I win by transmuting twice for combopieces and killing him.

Game 2:
    I board in grips and confidants.
    Turn 1 I make a chalice for 1, krosan grip his turn 1 exploration to ensure that im ok in the wastewars.
    He sticks a seismic assault, but my opener had double krosan grip and I nuke it on the spot.
    We waste each other some and as he casts his first life from the loam and double wastes me, I untap and cast bojuka bog, fixing a otherwise sticky situation. I play a second chalice on 1, to avoid grips.

He gets chasm recursion going, but alas can only play 1 land a turn and keeps dredging, going -1 land every turn, giving him no way to win. He did play ghost quarter.

I end up taking him from 20 to 0 with punishing fire.
    2-0

Round 3 RUG
    My notes are a little.. hard to read.
    Game 1: I produce a quick 20/20. He stifles the first stage activation, but it only prolongs the game by a turn. I never attacked his manabase. Winning seemed the better line to play :P

Sideboarding: I bring in Confidants, chokes and 2 sphere of resistance. (-1 tropical island, 1 tolaria west, 1 karakas, 3 intuition, 1 worm harvest and 1 life from the loam).

Game two:
    He dazes my turn 1 mox, forces my turn 2 sphere of resistance, dazes my dark confidant on the following turn and dies to a crop rotated 20/20.
    Those two games took a total of 24 minutes, including sideboarding!
    3-0

Round 4: vs Daniel Norton on Burn
    Considering I dont have zuran orb or glacial chasm, and more than 30 nonbasics for his prices, this is not looking good for me.
    on turn two i resolve chalice of the void for 2. Giving me a break again price of progress. He already has an eidolon out and my life total is ticking down.
    on turn three i cast intuition for combo pieces and on turn 4 i produce a 20/20, that wins on turn 5 while im at 2 life. PHEW!

I board in spheres and pay.
    Game two:
    I get an early chalice 1 and a sphere. But nothing else. He prices me out the turn i can make a 20/20.

Game 3: I make a 20/20 on turn 3. It gets there. YAY!
    4-0

Round 5 vs Alessandro Cattani with Miracles.
    Here it is. The matchup everything was about a month ago. The matchup i made myself worse against by cutting smokestack. Before is was winning preboard and heavily winning postboard. Now its still favoured as long as their list is close to that of the Miracle bros. (Tomas Vlcek, Phillipp, etc). Since he is Italian and Ive seen him before, im guessing the talks to Angelo Cadei and that I then probably know his list.

Game 1: He sees that im on lands and still fetches volcanic island. He forces my loam to buy time but cannot deal with the sexyness of my lands and succumbs as I can tap his 3 white sources with ports and produce a 20/20. I board 9 Cards after winning. That is a very nice feeling. (Chokes, grips and confidants)

Game 2: My notes are fuzzy, but looking at life totals the game is short. I do think i remember choking him.
    5-0

Round 6.
    vs Joao Alveirinho with BUG
    My notes and my twitter feed has him noted down as a really nice guy. Yes i do say nice things about people from time to time. This guy. Very nice guy.

Game 1: I quickly see he is on BUG and thats so great. We just need to dodge some True Names and we are golden. Ive lost 3 times vs that deck in the last 4 years of playing paper and I remember each time exactly. Once at a sideevent at GP jersey, once at prague eternal and once locally. More than 20 wins. One of the absolute best matchups.

He tries to waste ME and I blow him out by rotating the waste target. He scoops 12 minutes into game one, as he has 0 permanents.
    I board in confidants and chokes.

Game 2:
    I try to get him to zero permanents again, but he casts life from the loam! lucky as i am i draw bog on the next turn and stop that nonsense.
    Choke surprises him and he passes for a few turns, drops a fetch and pops it at my EoT. He finds bayou for his only nonblue land and I crop rotate for wasteland locking him out of ever getting more than 1 mana. He scoops to that fact. 38 minutes still on the clock!
    6-0

Round 7: vs Loic from France on Junk or something. Aggroloam maybe? I wanna say junk.
    Game 1:
    Very very long game where I wastelock him after EE´ing a twice and punishing his deathrites.

I bring in chalices, confidants.

Game 2: He likes to fetch and not deduct life totals. at least not until he finds his lands. Im a little annoying like that and insist he pays the cost of stuff first.
    We have a couple of disagreements that I cant really remember. I then cast an engineered explosives for 2. And without putting counters on it I pass the turn. In truth I should put counters on it, but since this is the 3rd EE I play, and I didnt put counters on the other two (that did get popped right away) I feel like we have established this shortcut. He agrees i cast it for two, but calls the judge, debates and the verdict is that its and EE for two. we get 2 minutes extra time. A little later I tap two colorless lands, then two other lands, and announce chalice for 1. He says ok. I put a counter on it and he insists its chalice for 0. I laugh a little at the nonsense and he points to my colorless lands. I say "its not sunburst bro". He takes a full 30 seconds to understand that chalice does not have sunburst.

I get loam engine up, the naturally has bojuka bog in hand. I set it up again two turns later and he naturally has scavenging ooze. I make a 20/20 inside my turn to dodge wastelands and he naturally has lilliana (?) for it.
    I play horribly and allow him to resolve deathrite even though I have chalice, since im so blinded that chalice stops swords only. I then look up and say: Time is up! He says "I know". This means he has been paying attention to the time passing but didnt say so. Its not much, but 40 seconds of free time for him. We begin extra turns and I punt for the second time, allowing a pithing needle tru my own chalice like a dork. it blocks my 2 or 3 maze of iths and during the very last turn of overtime he kills me exactly.
    The game was good and intense, we were proably both a little unfriendly, but im fuming at my own misplays most of all. How poorly i played. He did have some luck, but so did I in other games. Making 20/20 inside my turn feels correct, even if the other play would have won me the game and gotten me to 7-0.

6-0-1

Round 8 Against another really nice guy with Infect.
    Game 1:
    I die quickly as he has all the mean stuff.

I bring in spheres, confidants.
    Game 2: I mulligan on the play. I keep a 1 lander with mox, loam, chalice, chalice, dark confidant, punishing fire. I never see the second land. I should have mulliganned. any hand with a maze would be better.
    6-1-1

Round 9: Vs Kasper Euser with Miracles.
    His name reminds me of Kasper Hauser and makes me think of that story every time I see his name. We play some of the same events. He plays well and has an affinity for spicing things up a little.
    My notes are nonexistant, but he locks me out of the game quite early. I dig for worm harvest but he has CC 5 when I find it.
    I board the usual.

Game two:
    He casts 3 surgicals (snapcaster) then drops meddling mage on punishing fire, and I have neither winconditions nor removal.
    6-2-1

Didnt make day two. I made 3 mistakes, and I could have avoided that. The first two would have gotten me to 7-0 and a sure day two. Oh wells.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

If your meta is indeed as miracles heavy, id play maindeck sylvan, smokestack(s?), chalice and worm harvest. That makes you a huge boss in the matchup. (see my list from ovino, its alot like that)

And lastly what I’m considering is going up to 3-4 mb and taking out some/all Crops, is that just too crazy? It feels anathema to even consider taking out the Crops, but that is how I board in more than 50% of the games I play (vs. fair blue decks).
    The deck an for years without Crop Rotations, but that was before the Marit Lage combo, and deck's gotten much stronger. If I were to main-deck Chalices, I'd probably go down to two Rotations for one or two CotVs.

Of course your meta is a big factor! In addition to cantrip heavy decks, Chalice is good against Elves, Storm, Burn, and pretty good against painter. But against those decks CR is good too. But its not so good against MUD, D&T, Loam, 12 Post, Fish, and others. So this should be a meta call.

It's worth noting that even in a big screen meta such as SCG there are a lot of rogue decks. According to Reddot data which tracks matches in the big events, any given deck plays over a third of its matches against a rogue deck (marked as other). Chalices main might be good against tyhe top eight, but they might not help us to get that far in tyhe first place.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/co...archetypes_dc/

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Considering we have a maximum of 7 one drops, 4 of those are most often played in first or second turn, im fine w. having them in the main in the current constellation

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

So, what are your thoughts? IIRC you used to play a 4x Chalice version Snorlaxcom?
    The best answer would obviously be just to test it, but I’ve been abroad for nearly a month now and I’m gonna play in an invitational/league finals shortly after getting back home.
    I played 4x chalice in place of exploration(more on this in sec) before cruise ban. High ratio of one drop decks and fast combo kill in that meta rampant with infect, LOTS of UR, burn, miracles, storm, etc. I only had 3 crops that nombo'd with chalice, but they were mostly meant to have 3 more enablers aka fetching md ancient tomb. List was pretty sweet becuase I had 3 EE to clean up anything that made it onto the board. However, post cruise ban I have come across more 4xFOW builds and have cut rotations all together to not get blown out and fall behind on land drops.

"Wait, but why da fuq you cut exploration? Ur thread sux, N00b."

Aside from starting with a 6 land hand, having more lands in play is completely dependant on resolving loams past t3. I also found myself only seldomly deploying exploration before chalice@1 after boarding. Of course this case is living the dream and one of the most powerful plays we have t1, but again it comes up too infrequently for my taste and I am able to have better topdecks without the conflicting onedrops. Our draw steps are too important to be nombo'd by our own setup. However, I strongly advise against this setup to anyone just starting out with the deck because of how tight you have to manage your resources and mull decisions in the early game without the typical mana accelerants. I have been exclusively on Lands for a bit over two years and I have more experience casting tutors and boarding plans than when I started which make me comfortable not playing the staples.

Went 5-1 in a 46 person event yesterday. I wound up 7th and scored another port for my troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by iostreamer View Post
    Also Snorlax post your current list? ;)
    1 crucible (couldn't find smokestack before event)
    3 intuition
    3 pfire
    4 loam
    3 pyrexian revoker
    3 EE
    4 chalice
    4 mox diamond

1 heath
    1 foothills
    1 catacombs
    2 trop
    2 taiga
    1 savannah
    1 forest
    3 grove of the burnwillows
    2 twest
    2 thicket
    1 karakas
    1 bog
    1 academy
    2 stage
    4 waste
    4 port
    1 ghost quarter
    1 tab
    3 maze
    1 dd

Sb
    4 grip
    3 trinisphere
    2 choke
    2 meddling mage
    1 teeg
    3 thalia

Rd 1 miracles
    G1 he forces early, but I stick a chalice@1 while he attacks me with clique a snapcaster for 10 points. Pfire eats them and Marit eats him a turn later.

G2 he mulls and swords my revoker. Thalia + choke/port get there for the full life total.
    1-0

Rd 2 miracles Chris Hawker
    G1 forces chalice while I am trying to keep him under ports. He gets top going and entreats 4 angels.

G2 go to work with chalice and revoker. He wears a chalice away and surgicals it. I fail to port one of his 2 untapped lands precombat and he flashes in snap to kill revoker, while surgicaling a third time: chalice, loam, pfire. Snap goes. All. The. Way. Good sb for him because Rip would null his digs and snaps.
    1-1

Rd 3 Jund
    G1 seizes and goyfs. Kill dude and he sticks bob. It goes unanswered for several turns drawing goyfs.

G2 EE his drs and port manas. Control board with pfire and Marit punches him.

G3 chalice@1, but he gets goyf going. I have EE lock, but then plays ooze with green up. Pfire ooze and take another goyf hit. Sticks a lili. His next turn he goyfs #2 and now I ee at 4 life vs his pfire + grove. Waste him of groves at 3 life and I summon marit.
    2-1

Rd 4 merfolk
    G1 lords me out of pfire range and no ee in sight. Just pitiful dredging.

G2 t1 relic backed by two needles. No lands for him past island + mutavault, so he names thespian's stage and the on board port. Eot Intuition meets farce of will. Mutavault gets in for some attacks and I grip the relic eot to follow up with ee@1, playing to have mana to port his mana to prevent b2b. Marit lage gets dredged up.

G3 ee away 2 drops and drop choke. Ports start sinkholing him and waste dispatches the occasional nonbasic. Marit is dredged up and deployed.
    3-1

Rd 5 RG Combo Lands Kurt Speiss
    G1 t1 chalice. We stay on par land wise, but I get a mox and pull ahead on manipulation and dig for bog with thicket. He builds up a waste proof mana base by staging his basic forest. Is fine until I dredge a ghost quarter and go to work at keeping his options in check by making sure he never starts a turn with stage untapped. I mess up when I go to ghost quarter him as he crops and I signal chalice trigger too late. He gets dd and while I'm tapped he main phases the combo. He loams back pieces and passes turn. On my turn I dredge and twest for karakas. I follow up the next turn with a bog. I then stick a revoker on mox, ghost his land, and tap a land on upkeep putting him on 2 colorless lands for the rest of the game. He cycles a thicket with mox and quickly calls a judge on himself. New ruling in place I now see his hand and shuffle a card away. I see 2 pfires, stage, depths, manabond, and some other land. I choose pfire, but realize it doesn't matter as his taigas were boged and revoker is on mox. He concedes shortly after realizing he has no red left for revoker. My missing the chalice trigger allowed him to get the combo assembled, but him losing two lands from that play set me up to win if I could answer Marit. He had to jam marit at this point as is the philosophy of RG when you have a window to pray and win.

G2 I mull to 5 and Kurt goes to 6. He makes a dude before I can react.

G3 t2 Thalia then t3 revoker on mox. I loam an empty yard and he bogs me for little value, just needing the mana next turn. I draw 2 more wastes and he never gets time to turn it around.
    4-1

Rd 6 BUrG Justin Miller
    G1 t1 waste vs his t1 delver. I fire off waste hoping to mana screw and play around stifle, but he draws another land and blind flipped delver to a bolt. I get two mana and pfire into his brainstorm, but he finds no counters. Probably just bolts and cantrips? He gets drs, but I find a grove, stick chalice at 1, and he concedes upon dredging marit.

G2 3 hits from t1 flipped delver and t2 seize gets a spell. He fires a bolt before I stick a chalice and delver gets lost in a maze. Thalia and revoker come down to finish off the match.
    5-1

Go into T8 second which is great, but more importantly I get the play for a chalice t1.

T8 miracles/stoneblade
    G1 forces chalice. I ee away counterbalance then tnn. Stoneforge gets bskull and I fail to find removal off my dredges.

G2 he sticks a meddling mage on ee and blanks 2 cards in my hand. I fail to find maze or pfire and can just port tnn off the table. Stoneforge makes it through to shorten the clock. Took out a pfire and a maze too many. ): I take 7th.

Sb was great throughout the day, but 4th grip could be something else and mages do stretch your manabase if you run pfire after boarding. Never tested with this build before the event to sort these out or if md crucible is better than smokestack, but I'll come up with something for SCG DC. Twest:thicket was great all day if you don't do 3 trop. I'm not convinced I can best use canopy here because I don't have multiple land drops and no crops are here for the option of saving a loam from getting targeted. Thicket did the job fine vs drs since it only needed 1 mana and I could keep a basic untapped instead of being forced to have 2 mana up(more susceptible to waste/port even with mox out) to save my loam. I upped the taiga count for more consistent board control via pfire. I couldn't find any sb cards to take advantage of the upped red count. Chalice should be in play, so having a REB or two didn't makes sense if you read the beginning of the post.

Didn't get a chance to play vs S&T, but my friend that T4 the event play tested afterwards and I was pleased with the results after 6 games. Some storm players were in the room, but I'll get them next time. Hehe.

Deck was fun to pick up since I left in February for exams. Good news though, I'll be starting med school in September! It's in Ecuador, so magic is basically nonexistent there(legacy anyway). I will come back to play during breaks and I will still manage the forum, but if I need to hand it off I'll ask one of you nice peoples in the future.
    Last edited by snorlaxcom; 07-28-2015 at 06:52 PM.

I am really intrigued by this list snorlax, but I do have a few questions. You say it makes your muligan decisions different based on acceleration. Does this mean you mulligan for mox diamond more? Also if this is the case, wht not still play exploration? Yea yea its a nombo with chalice, but for games where it is imperative to get on board early (delver decks w/o decay, grindhouse decks like dnt, creature combo decks like elves or merfolk, and to a certain extent miracles) it seems like too big of a risk to cut.
    Also, how did you like md revoker? Was it worth it over a card like crucible?
    How is the burn matchup with chalice? Outside of the obvious t1 on the play, how relevant is chalice over exploration? Do you find it harder to establish chasm locks without exploration?

I have been maindecking trinisphere as of late, and have been overall impressed. It works better with port/wasteland, and also allows you to keep something like exploration in. Thoughts?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

How much of a difference do you feel Stax would have made over Crucible?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

I would like a crucible because during the second miracles match I had crucible going g1 for a couple turns that could have been hitting his basics and keep entreat under control. It basicaly helps the LD plan without having a fastbond in play and there are enough nonland permanents to play to outpace the sac trigger.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by n0ct3m89 View Post
    You say it makes your muligan decisions different based on acceleration. Does this mean you mulligan from mox diamond more? Also if this is the case, wht not still play exploration? Yea yea its a nombo with chalice, but for games where it is imperative to get on board early (delver decks w/o decay, grindhouse decks like dnt, creature combo decks like elves or merfolk, and to a certain extent miracles) it seems like too big of a risk to cut.
    Also, how did you like md revoker? Was it worth it over a card like crucible?
    How is the burn matchup with chalice? Outside of the obvious t1 on the play, how relevant is chalice over exploration? Do you find it harder to establish chasm locks without exploration?

I have been maindecking trinisphere as of late, and have been overall impressed. It works better with port/wasteland, and also allows you to keep something like exploration in. Thoughts?
    Not mulliganing so much for mox diamond or acceleration, but more like how much disruption the hand has and how much time my removal can buy in order to play a tutor. Depending on the hand make a gameplan. Having more artifacts in general has also made academy much more powerful.

This is where revoker comes in at disrupting the early game drs/tops/D&T/elves and other mu you mentioned. Crucible I was forced to play with, but I'd like to try stack next. Exploration is more of an enabler of Loam than an actual piece of disruption I'm going for. Vs miracles it resolves, but key spells like ee or crucible get forced/counterspelled without fail at this point. Jaming disruption spells vs them blanks half the hand or at least gets two from force, makeing their starting hand worse and increases likely hood of sticking EE. Especially brutal of muligans. Yes they can force Exploration too, but chalice@1 I'd take any day of the week t1. Exploration is better with 2/3 ports in play, but that never solved the entreat problem as the game progressed. Chalice md also means more lock pieces vs delver and they don't have enough counters to stop them all plus handle tab+maze. They can play dig but who cares.

There is no chasm lock because I cut it long ago, but I haven't lost to burn when I played chalice md the last open I played pre-cruise ban in NJ. Outside of burn and infect I don't need it killing land drops and no crops here. EE gets D&T(which have a billion ways to get a land off the table for an alpha strike) and other delver strategies have digs to find waste in a pinch. Very frustrating to lose when I have to pray the blue deck won't draw an answer. Pfire and chalice get dorks. With a smokestack and EE I can answer what ever else maze can't hold off.

I was thinking of changing trinisphere to md instead of crucible for the event, but it is less effective without exploration g1 and it would only be one sphere. Only if it is a real hate card in the mu I'd side it in. Sphere is less flexible. You'd run 2-3? Chalice being tutored via twest was huge, where as sphere has to be drawn/dredged into. Invalidating onedrops for 2 mana was huge. Sphere sounds better in a build with fastbonds, but it still doesn't prevent drs from coming online.
    Last edited by snorlaxcom; 07-29-2015 at 04:26 PM.

With only 2 Tropical Island, isn't 2 Tolaria West a bit too much ?
    Tolaria West is a card I just dont want to draw in the early turn because I'm used to never have enough blue mana to transmute into key land/spell.
    When I play against blue deck, I usually side out 1 Tropical Island to board in 1 Savannah and the Choke package.

In the firsts turns, I usually fetch for the basic Forest, then try to build a board lock that give me the time to Intuition into super-lock, or Thespian into Marit Lage. I love the deck, but to be honest, I sadly didn't have yet any kind of success with it. May be I play it wrong... (certainly).

For info, here is my current build : http://cl.ly/text/470l0x3p2a1c/Etern...30-07-2015.txt
    The single Ancient Tomb let me play a turn one Chalice if I have Crop Rotation and Chalice in hand.
    By the way, I did not yet practice with this version, I were on a old build with only 1 Thespian Stage and 1 Dark Depths, but with singleton Glacial Chasm, Ghost Quarter and a couple of Mishra's Factory, Zuran Orb main, no Chalice but 3 EE... A bit too slow, this is why I pack a 3/3 split of Thespian Stage and Dark Depths, this let you have –some times– a natural combo...
    Last edited by kravkenov; 07-30-2015 at 05:39 AM. Reason: url fix

Thread Information