Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] RUG Lands

Re: [Deck] RUG Lands

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkii View Post
    The only card in that deck that is actually scary is Gurmag Angler. It's definitely a good matchup, but delver can just do what delver does sometimes.
    Yup, angler is often when the problems start. Like I said I still think it's a good matchup, just not a freebie.

What does your list look like nowadays Sparkii?

Really close to snorlax's 9th place list, but still with crucible and zuran orb main. Old habits die hard, I guess. I should try cutting them and see if I like it.

Dec 2015
    The Void

Made the switch to RUG after realizing prelate can entirely shut down RG lands and will be playing it at the Orlando open this weekend. I'm using I think snorlax's list that was posted a few pages back? 61 main, only edit was a chalice in the side was swapped for a ghost quarter (I don't own a 4th chalice) Any advice on how I should alter my plays for this deck vs RG lands?

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
    MTGO: Homura_Akemi

Legacy: Spanish Inquisition / R/G Combo Lands / Junk Fit / Oops! All Spells / Doomsday
    Modern: KCI Eggs / Ad Nauseam

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Pain View Post
    Made the switch to RUG after realizing prelate can entirely shut down RG lands and will be playing it at the Orlando open this weekend. I'm using I think snorlax's list that was posted a few pages back? 61 main, only edit was a chalice in the side was swapped for a ghost quarter (I don't own a 4th chalice) Any advice on how I should alter my plays for this deck vs RG lands?

My latest list was 60 and no worm harvest. Chalice #4 and revoker are flex slots I used to address miracles, so use these slots for your metagaming. Gq being slow I only use it if I anticipate lots of surgicals/needle effects and is decent vs eldrazi. What is your area like? Lots of d&t?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Pain View Post

You definitely should try some RUG Lands, but I am not that sure that it will prove much more succes vs D&T and Prelate than RG in a list with 3Vortex/2Punishing Fires, like David Longs latest list. Vortex gets shut down by revoker, but likewise revoker stops Engineered Explosives too. So basically it comes down to EE's recursiveness versus Vortex' speed, and I am not sure if EE's are better here.

This seems like a good card for RUG Lands. What do you guys think of it?
    Sequestered Stash
    Last edited by ratninja; 09-18-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Mill 5 is not worth 2 extra mana. Academy ruins and buried ruin are just better.

Split the top 8 of ChannelFireBall's $3k event today. I went along with snorlax's successful list and cut zuran orb + crucible for the first time.

The (76) I ended up registering:

1 Academy Ruins
    1 Bayou
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Dark Depths
    1 Forest
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Glacial Chasm
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Karakas
    3 Maze of Ith
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Taiga
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    3 Thespian's Stage
    2 Tolaria West
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    1 Wooded Foothills
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Engineered Explosives
    4 Exploration
    3 Intuition
    4 Life from the Loam
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Punishing Fire
    Sideboard:

2 Abrupt Decay
    3 Chalice of the Void
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Tireless Tracker
    3 Trinisphere

R1: Grixis Delver 2-1
    R2: Deathblade 2-0
    R3: Shardless 2-1
    R4: RG Lands 1-2
    R5: Infect 2-0
    R6: Goblins 2-0
    R7: ID

I kept a sketch hand G1 in the RG land mirror, and it cost me my match loss.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

I didn't see this posted; it's from 3 weeks ago.
    Items of note: dropping the punishing fire/grove combo, eschewing red and adding spheres of resistance main.

thank you ross: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=107814

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    I didn't see this posted; it's from 3 weeks ago.
    Items of note: dropping the punishing fire/grove combo, eschewing red and adding spheres of resistance main.

thank you ross: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=107814
    Interessting, I will do some play-test game to see how it goes ;)
    IT IS TWO AND A HALF MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

I've adopted the 4 ghost quarters from some successful RG lists and it's been absolutely insane. A lot of us RUG players already played a singleton bullet copy, so we already knew the real power of the card. I split the top 4 of a GPT yesterday with my last $3k list, with a few changes:

-4 Rishadan Port
    +3 Ghost Quarter
    +1 Crucible of Worlds

Deck is super solid, I love it.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

sparkii, congrats on the excellent results...

-4 Rishadan Port
    +3 Ghost Quarter
    +1 Crucible of Worlds

Looks like the deck got a little cheaper; I can stop chasing foil ports...
    Get your foil ghost quarters while you can?

Aug 2012
    Japan

I've adopted the 4 ghost quarters from some successful RG lists and it's been absolutely insane. A lot of us RUG players already played a singleton bullet copy, so we already knew the real power of the card. I split the top 4 of a GPT yesterday with my last $3k list, with a few changes:

-4 Rishadan Port
    +3 Ghost Quarter
    +1 Crucible of Worlds

Deck is super solid, I love it.
    Nicely done, Sparkii. To tell the truth, that's a route for the deck that I always wanted to be viable but never thought would be.

What do you think about adding a Manabond back in then? Also, how much use are you getting out of Chasm these days?
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours."

My 1994+ Magic Cube

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    sparkii, congrats on the excellent results...

Looks like the deck got a little cheaper; I can stop chasing foil ports...
    Get your foil ghost quarters while you can?
    But I already have my ports... haha.

As for chasm, it's been good. Locked out burn and ghost quartered him out at 1 life the other day. Also locked out eldrazi and infect in separate instances too. I don't think it's cut-able.

Manabond... it's obviously insane with ghost quarter, it might be worth testing a 5th exploration effect again .

But yeah. Decks like miracles become an even better matchup with these changes. You can easily ghost them out of white mana, even post board with a RIP in play. I had one miracles player actually fetch non-basics first in G2 once I had ghosted him out G1. :p it also messes with counterbalance triggers.

Anything weak to wasteland just gets better, like delver and eldrazi.

I've been playing RGb lands for a while (black splash for md'd decays vs chalice/cbalance), but with the advent of prelate, the decays have basically become dead. I've now been trying various versions of RUG lands. Tried out sparkii's list for a bit (I think I played vs you a few months ago at the gpla legacy side event. I was the other dude w/ the foiled out lands deck ), but it feels weaker to fast starts from things like burn and UR. So I went back to the drawing board with my old jund build and tweaked some numbers around to get the following which seems a bit closer to RUG combo lands than RUG control lands.

2 Engineered Explosives
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Mox Diamond

4 Gamble
    4 Crop Rotation
    1 Intuition

4 Life from the Loam

2 Maze of Ith
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 Taiga
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4 Thespian's Stage
    3 Dark Depths
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Tolaria West
    4 Exploration
    1 Forest
    3 Rishadan Port
    1 Glacial Chasm

1 Flex: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth/Rishadan Port/Engineered Explosives/Maze of Ith

SB: 4 Tireless Tracker
    SB: 2 Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 4 Thorn of Amethyst
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog
    SB: 2 Chalice of the Void

So the biggest changes I've been experimenting with are: upping the combo pieces back up to 3 dd/4 stage; 4 gamble/1 intuition split; reducing the maze count to 2; and reducing the port count to 3.

The 4/1 gamble/intuition split was something I'm trying after having tested a 2/3 gamble/intuition split. I felt that intuition was much more powerful, but slower. This often meant that it was easier to counter and sometimes left me without a t1/t2 play. I've been liking the 4/1 split in the few games I've tried so far.

The last slot is what I'm having trouble deciding between. I really liked urborg as a rotation target vs fast decks to get a t3 token, but it might just not be worth it to include. Rishdan Port #4 is a pretty safe bet, but I feel like ports are only really good in the longer grindy matchups where I'd have the time to find one of the 3 and proceed to copy them with stage. EE #3 is what I'm currently leaning towards--it helps vs a lot of the faster decks, miracles, as well as dnt. Maze is also a polarizing card and I feel that the extra ee files a similar role, but is more useful in non-aggro matchups as well.

A couple of the other changes, such as removing the tranquil thicket and 2nd tolaria west for the 2 extra combo pieces was because that I felt the deck has a ton of inevitability when the game goes long. Having those extra card advantage pieces were definitely helpful, but I often felt like they were too clunky in faster matchups.

Lastly, I noticed that some have been trying ghost quarter in lieu of rishadan port. I can see the appeal that in longer games--it can fully strip another player of all lands; and vs delver decks, it just becomes wasteland #5-8. However, I felt like ports are better in the early/mid game vs those decks w/ basics; our long game already feels pretty damn good.

This has been a bit of a long post, but I wanted to toss out my list there and maybe get some feedback. It isn't traditional and may prove to be inferior after much testing, but for now it's been feeling pretty good.

Jan 2015
    Austin, TX

Hi all! I am a relatively new Lands player, typically the RG variety, but I'd like to give RUG lands a try. After reading the primer, I still have a few questions about the current iterations of the deck.

In my RG list, I recently added Barbarian Ring to deal with Sanctum Prelate and DnT in general. I haven't had much luck in this match-up so far. Would I be right in assuming Engineered Explosives will deal with Prelate (we can used colorless mana to play around that)?

Does Tolaria West essentially replace Tranquil Thicket, or should I be finding room for both?

I'd like to ensure Miracles can't counterbalance lock me, Boseiju, Who Shelters All is really good for that. Is maindecking that unheard of in RUG?

I'm excited to give this a try, thanks in advance everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Drake0525 View Post
    Hi all! I am a relatively new Lands player, typically the RG variety, but I'd like to give RUG lands a try. After reading the primer, I still have a few questions about the current iterations of the deck.

In my RG list, I recently added Barbarian Ring to deal with Sanctum Prelate and DnT in general. I haven't had much luck in this match-up so far. Would I be right in assuming Engineered Explosives will deal with Prelate (we can used colorless mana to play around that)?

Does Tolaria West essentially replace Tranquil Thicket, or should I be finding room for both?

I'd like to ensure Miracles can't counterbalance lock me, Boseiju, Who Shelters All is really good for that. Is maindecking that unheard of in RUG?

I'm excited to give this a try, thanks in advance everyone!
    Explosives should deal with most problems you encounter. You can add colorless to get around almost anything. It also solves your counterbalance problem, especially locking with academy ruins.

West doesn't replace thicket. I don't play thicket as a personal preference, but know others that find space for a copy.

@somethingdotdotdot: Yup, that was me at GPLA! That was a fun match. I'm curious to see how your hybrid test goes.

I´ve been fallow this thread for a long time, but got pretty silent nowdays, are you still playing this deck? i notice less lands decks (rg or rug ) in top 8 or even in general competition, the rise of DT with prelacte has something to do with this?

I play this deck back and forward but after sometime not sleeving this up...always feel wrong and i start to play it again. Since i´m a MTG seller i need to focus on 1 deck ( rule no. 1 - don´t consume your product ...but well its stronger than me :p ) and this might be the deck since its the one i´ve had most fun with and can present good results!

Quote Originally Posted by Ancestral View Post
    I´ve been fallow this thread for a long time, but got pretty silent nowdays, are you still playing this deck? i notice less lands decks (rg or rug ) in top 8 or even in general competition, the rise of DT with prelacte has something to do with this?

I play this deck back and forward but after sometime not sleeving this up...always feel wrong and i start to play it again. Since i´m a MTG seller i need to focus on 1 deck ( rule no. 1 - don´t consume your product ...but well its stronger than me :p ) and this might be the deck since its the one i´ve had most fun with and can present good results!
    I think the deck is still played by a fair number of us.
    I do still play the deck (atm with 4 Wasteland and 4 Ghost Quarter to see how it goes), but it's mainly online because my family keep me very busy these time. My son just turn 1, and my wife is about to land my second child (sorry don't know how to say it properly in English). This is why I'm less active on this thread (and on magic in general).

If Prelate become a big thing, the deck can still tutor and operate with Tolaria. But it is much slower and there is still things like Swords or Flickerwisp. Futur will tell ;)
    IT IS TWO AND A HALF MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

I think the main reason that lands has seen a down tick in results/play in the past month or two (since conspiracy came out) is due to the uptick of prelate dnt. Traditional RG lands have very few ways to deal with the prelate on 2 (molten vortex is the most common answer, but is easily answered by revoker; barbarian ring is also a bit niche and a bit unreliable since you can't loam it back w/ the prelate on 2).

Another probable reason is that the rise in lands in the past couple of months has led people to realize that surgical is amazing against the deck. Rest in peace/blood moon are annoying, but a simple surgical on depths/stage can basically cripple this deck. It also doesn't help that with BR reanimator becoming more popular, we have another near unwinnable matchup as well as making more decks slot surgical over RiP in board.

At the end of the day, lands doesn't seem to have any great matchups anymore (Eldrazi being probably the biggest exception). Even delver has become more difficult as they've adopted needles, winter orbs, and surgicals to combat the meta. DnT used to be an easy win, but is now unfavored for RG and probably 55-60 for us with RUG. Miracles remains a toss up. Delver has become more of a toss up. Shardless/Jund has become a smaller part of the meta. On the other hand, there are more blood moon decks to beat up on the DtB; and combo is still a pretty terrible matchup.

I think if the meta shifts towards more value driven midrange decks like jund/shardless to beat up on miracles/dnt/delver, we get a leg up again. However, at present, I'd say that lands is on the back foot.

On a side note, I've been testing my build a tiny bit, but my meta is fairly hostile to lands (heavy burn/dnt/miracles/br reanimator meta). I ended up with a oblivion stone in the flex and -1 chalice, +1 zuran orb in the sb. I've found my list to be decent vs burn/dnt/miracles. The oblivion stone is actually hilarious b/c it can just reset the board vs dnt once they name ee with revoker. Vs miracles, it's all about getting the ee/academy loop asap to take them off of their cbalance. Once that happens, you just proceed to make 20/20's until they run out of removal. Vs burn, my list plays like traditional RG lands and you just go for the kill asap (higher chance of finding it faster with more combo pieces and gamble as a faster tutor).

Thread Information