Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] RUG Lands

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Re: [Deck] Lands

3 has been great since last year's gp when I always ended up siding it in. There have been different threats since then, but it has the most versatility even now since Khans' release and demise of the 'goose'. This versatility sways my decision in a GP environment. It helps lock many lower curve decks at 3 EE and gives early game vs drs, miracles, and a fast delver draw. I hated transmuting for EE and Ostone kept getting blown up by decay or was too slow to matter. Stax was definitely too slow and no way to tutor it. Stax also can't fabricate a lock as specific as EE when dealing with the opponent's draw step and resolved threats. I stuck with 3 EE for the event because I was preparing for fast delver decks because it supplements Pfire nicely (cleans up tokens and delver) and vs md RiP Miracles decks. Having it set for 2 is just insurance to not get combo'd out of nowhere and to have control when I want to resume loaming and/or EE lock. I run into many situations where I don't want to expose my yard to gy hate and have to draw my way out of it. Having more EE lets you draw to more outs more often in sided games as well. Opponents also don't expect 3 and often get blown out by the third. I keep more hands of 7 with this setup and the deck still muligans very well if you need to find one. The main downside I need to note is that Needle and Revoker are more powerful, but I haven't faced many revokers in the meta and decks with needle usually name Waste.

One stage because the lands I copy were mostly a fetch or dual just to get colors to cast my spells. It made extra mana denial lands way too late in the game to matter most of the time. Yes it makes DD faster, but I never play DD unless I am killing you that turn. I was very careful to protect Depths all day. I had stage rfg some instances but opponents still scooped when they saw just depths ticking down. I wouldn't add another depths though because that is the weakest card in the prison game plan. I was able to switch to the kill mode very fast with only one of each.

Losing to Ichorid is a sin. A resolved Titan is the huge problem.

Coming back to Lands for other major events though, Phelix?

Nice write up Snorlax Thanks

Why Trinisphere over Sphere of Resistence? I understand why not both but the difference between a 2 drop and a 3 drop can mean the game against the faster combo decks.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

A hard lock vs ANT. They can still play magic with little sphere out and and is better vs Omnitell/High Tide, too. I was needing mutiples to lock out storm combo and having to draw two or 3 for the same effect was frustrating. They can still pay for Petals and Diamonds and drits still function. ANT isn't the most consistent t2 deck and this has allowed me to stick many a Trini in play t2/3. If they get a t1 discard then sphere didn't matter anyway. For cmc2 I usually plopped a Chalice anyway and then followed up with 3sphere. Better with Intuition (virtual 6 copies!) as you can eot dt for 3sphere and have a huge impact on the game. Of course just like with little sphere you don't keep a hand with one piece of interaction, so these Intuition hands should have an early game to them.

Great vs infect and dodging cmc2 is important here since I need to set EE for 2 to tag some threats or a Library. Solid vs Elves! backed by some mana denial.

Be warned if you do register them you may never end up using them. Having them for a GP was something I could endorse in such a mixed bag, but I have been thinking of other options for locals and scg series. Ebridge or an extra grip/revoker come to mind. Haven't tested Slaughter Games but seems great vs Miracles.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    Haven't tested Slaughter Games but seems great vs Miracles.
    I can confirm that it is very strong against Miracles, as is EE.

Against Post.. I thought you can't fetch if you're at one life because you physically can't pay the "cost" of activation.

I'd definitely play at least a second stage so you can play around with Needle tricks and whatnot. :) Also helps having an extra to crop rotate into if you have a copy in hand or something.

Great job though, and congrats on the money finish.

GP NJ Report

Round 8 Iostreamer mirror
    G1 he has interesting lands out and notice they are all the ones i am playing, mmmm. There is hope he is on a BUG planeswalker build, but cat is out of the bag when loam comes to the party. He gets summons a witch that I dismiss. I crop into bog at some point and slap for 20.

G2 I get an exploration + waste + loam out and he has no loam going. In turns he ticks down DD at eot, but taps out. I respond with a crop for stage to copy his iceberg (he had an untapped Ghost Quarter preventing me from doing this earlier). With karakas rfg he could only buy a time with a maze because I had karakas ready for his token.

6-2
    You forgot about game 2 where I got a Marit Lage out on turn 2 :P

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

He pays one life because he has 1 life to pay the cost and dies before I get priority. He couldn't pay for chasm upkeep at one because he doesn't have two life to pay, but could if he was at two. Once we noted he paid the cost, the game ended. A judge was watching and shook his head in disappointment how I won that game. I was laughing my ass off and gave Rock some shit for it.

Needle hasn't been an issue when decks, max, play two of them. Needle comes down t1/2, so having a stage change before then is too rare. It's been great that decks rely on needle effects to stop stage and I end up blowing it with grip/EE or when they have a chalice at 1 in their face like in my Nic Fit match. I usually see needle on Port, Maze, or Karakas tbh. If they have to needle stage then their hand is crap or, more often, they are inexperienced at the mu. Threatening to slow thaw has been good enough to get concessions out of opponents when stage has been taken out. I would like to add that multiple stages are certainly useful vs miracles to port them down and forcecrack fetches.

Ah ok. Then I remember that now. I bounced it g2 not g1. Was a littled worried then, but had the tutor for your play.
    Last edited by snorlaxcom; 11-28-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Lands (26)

2 Flooded Strand
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Maze of Ith
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Savannah
    3 Thespian's Stage
    4 Tropical Island
    2 Tundra
    1 Wasteland
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Flagstones of Trokair
    1 Dark Depths

Spells (34)

1 Crucible Of Worlds
    1 Engineered Explosives
    4 Exploration
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Force of Will
    4 Intuition
    2 Life from the Loam
    4 Living Wish
    3 Ponder
    3 Supreme Verdict
    Sideboard

2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Meddling Mage
    1 Peacekeeper
    1 Reclamation Sage
    3 Spell Pierce
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Karakas
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Dark Depths

I played this to a 6-1-2 Record in Atlanta this past weekend I took draws with miracles round 2/3 the first opponent wouldn't concede though given a extra turn they were dead with counter back up :(
    I played against
    Merfolk: 1 2-0
    Miracles: 4
    1-1-1
    1-1-1
    2-0
    1-0-0
    Jund:1 2-1
    Mono Red :1 0-2
    Junk:1 2-0
    Reset High Tide: 1 2-1

This was my first run at any land strategy and loved it, it was much more fun then playing with Miracles.

Random Highlight of the event- Played a 58 Minute game one against miracles Made my token 9 or more times, Was on the receiving end of JTMS Ult Twice (I really don't understand why he did this) It allowed me another activation dredge from Life from the loam, but I had crucible - Ruins - EE to recur explosives every turn and crucible to get Dark Depths - Stage every other turn.

I plan to stay to this type of strategy as the turbo depths build.

I really wanted more EE main deck, possible 1/2 Grips in the SB or a disk like effect to be able to wrath the bored if needed. Beauty of this was many people still actively played around waste land aggressively fetching basics and constraining there mana.

Any one else have any experience with this style of the lands deck?

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

I remember the gw maverick lands that played md knights as the closest resemblance of a good finish. I think it was last year's gp dc. Ahh Farmland it was.

This deck or version originated from a Gp in Paris in March of this year and top 16d a open 3/4 months ago my list is a bit different then the ones they were playing I couldn't justify not having a intuition package for explosives - Loam - Academy ruins. As it also gives you out to jace.

Yeah, they were calling the deck FarmVille.

It's a depths deck, but I'm still unsure it can be considered the same archetype. It plays no ports, one wasteland, 2 loam, etc.

Exploration seems a bit weird with 26 lands too, I guess you can tutor the waste or fetch faster? How's the deck against early aggro strategies? Wish for tabernacle or ramp into verdict?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkii View Post
    Yeah, they were calling the deck FarmVille.

It's a depths deck, but I'm still unsure it can be considered the same archetype. It plays no ports, one wasteland, 2 loam, etc.

Exploration seems a bit weird with 26 lands too, I guess you can tutor the waste or fetch faster? How's the deck against early aggro strategies? Wish for tabernacle or ramp into verdict?
    Ideally you exploration T1, into ponder/Brain storm to get 3/4th land to intuition for loam package, with 4 Crop rotation you easily just fetch it generally sacrificing the Flagstones.

The "aggro" Decks are permissible byes against this version if they don't waste land they are cold to the combo if they do we try to sit back and EE over and and over and establish loam or verdict.

I never felt out of control of any of the games I lost except for being fairly unlucky, against mono red G1/G2 my opening hands were Tropical Island, Misty, Windswept heath, Exploration, Brain Storm, Ponder, Crop Rotation both games. This is the best opening the deck can have unfortunately I was unable to locate Intuition, Living Wish, either piece of the combo and eventually had to rotation out for Chasm. Which I just died when I let it sacrifice. Bolt - Bolt - Fireblast is a good 10 damage regardless of how its counted when your life total is 10 you die. XD

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

^Interesting, but bant I would never play in Lands or Red Stompy metas. Chalice and Moon even stronger vs this, but I do like the countermagic being proactive while you are doing your Loam game, even if the blue count md is only 18. I can see the early play now. This seems to account for the mana needed for porting down in the early game, so I guess that is smoothing out t2-4 getting a fastbond in play. 2 extra EE in the side? I would think about replacing one with a twest so wish grants you access to EE lock via Academy(or wasteland if needed) or tutoring for EE itself. I'd rather have Revoker for G1 purposes than Needle, which isn't even a wish option.

^Interesting, but bant I would never play in Lands or Red Stompy metas. Chalice and Moon even stronger vs this, but I do like the countermagic being proactive while you are doing your Loam game, even if the blue count md is only 18. I can see the early play now. This seems to account for the mana needed for porting down in the early game, so I guess that is smoothing out t2-4 getting a fastbond in play. 2 extra EE in the side? I would think about replacing one with a twest so wish grants you access to EE lock via Academy(or wasteland if needed) or tutoring for EE itself. I'd rather have Revoker for G1 purposes than Needle, which isn't even a wish option.
    Needle was proactice SB card for Miracles, wasteland, and any annoying walkers or Vials.

The blood moon match ups can be iffy the perk we have against them is the force and spell pierces as well if the make the mistake of tapping out when we have 4 mana and a combo piece just rotation out out last piece and make our 20/20 Cards I'd be interest in adding are 2 K / Grip / Disenchant effects to the SB, Sylvan Safe Keeper (I couldn't find at the event) and new commander card

Titania, Protector of Argoth
    3GG
    Legendary Creature - Elemental
    When Titania, Protector of Argoth enters the battlefield, return target land card from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Whenever a land you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a 5/3 green Elemental creature token onto the battlefield.

She seems to be a sicking secondary Win con!

I can see dropping one of the Flag stones for a Twest/Tranquil Thicket so you can still draw cards while loaming as well. Its pretty great feeling when you get to brain storm but two lands on top then draw step loam the lands away literally makes our brainstorms into Acall.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Legacy champs Trial at GP Baltimore

Round 1 Jund

G1 pfire his board

G2 pfire drs/bob, maze goof as I brush off my extracted loams. EE lock presented.

1-0-0

Round 2 Deadguy Ale

G1 hit with 3 discard spells that miss on targets twice. Pfire and ghost quarter board.

G2 port op. Never plays a spell of relevance. Marit kills as I tap white source.

2-0-0

Round 3 D&T

G1 I thought I saw a Sea while he was shuffling. Kept a hand with Crop and was good here too. Pfire board and maze the remains. He makes me kill him after he can no longer play Magic.

G2 I have ports keeping him off RiP mana I let him go for a turn and eot Intuition for pfire, loam, and port. I get pfire and next turn he RiP. I could have gotten bob or kgrip with Intuition to hit his Vial that was already in play or have a plan for impending RiP. I should have gotten twest, thicket, and loam to get ee lock and have a safety for loam. I die after I can't loop pfire.

G3 pretty sure I may have stumbled in development, but he had a relevant Kor Firewalker against Pfire in my opener. I played for the draw with Zuran orb + Exploration + 2x Maze once I heard time called. He had too much pressure to devote mana tutoring and Deploying Marit.

2-0-1

Round 4 D&T

G1 I know what he is on. Pfire in opener.

G2 T1 bob backed by port and kgrip in opener. I draw another bob + grip and a revoker. Revoke his vial and spin another bob. He gets mana and I float off Mox and grip his dude eot to get 2 more swings of 6 in.

3-0-1

Round 5 Elves!

G1 fail deck check. I only have "Phyrexian" listed in sb and have to add "Revoker".

G2 we have seen each other play in the rounds before so we keep hands that can survive the other. Mine came out on top as I Crop for an early Tab to stave off NO. He later plays Cradle and in one turn plays dorks and hoofs with 3 dudes +5/+5. I maze a beast and fall to 8. I tutor for EE, blow team up, and waste Cradle. I waste next turn and he has no permanents.

G3 Chalice T1.

4-0-1

At this point I'm pretty satisfied with the day until I go to put my deck away and can't find my bag that was sitting on my leg. FUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! Over 2k stolen from me during an intense match with a judge sitting next to me and my friend watching the game opposite from me. This shit has to stop.

Round 6 ID

Spent this time talking to vendors and event staff about missing bag and unique contents.

4-0-2

T8

One mage voiced no split, so we battle.

Roland Chang MUD

After some chatting about what just happened we exchange information and don't start our match for a few minutes as he tells me he once lost alpha/beta power before and hates the kind of people that would do that to the Magic community. Cool dude and champ.

G1 I am 3 seed and we both know what opp is on. I have t1 fastbond and t2 crucible waste lock. His Metal Worker reveals Staff t2.

G2 fetch. Pass. I waste his next two lands. my second mana source is a grove now ready to hit a metal worker as means of interaction. I have a loam and bob chilling in hand. Didn't cast here because he had a waste up. Bob/Loam pass gives him a window to plop a metal worker down and dodge pfire as he had Greaves out. I leave fetch and grove up as I pass. He casts 3Shpere with stompy land and waste. I rip a mana and have one turn to play loam for 2 strip or Bob. I go with bob figuring I would draw land anyway and have better shot to draw grip/revoker as well. I don't flip the mana needed to cast loam he wastes my land to put me to 2 mana. He gets Metalworker out 2 turns later and equips to get reveal all aritfacts now able to cast Forgemaster for Blightsteel. 11 Infect. Should have done Loam to get 2 more LD that I indeed had time to play out. Bob totally incorrect if I would have put his sequencing into my decisions as he was just throwing down soft lock pieces and he would have played more aggressive if he had better cards in hand. He wasn't ripping any more lands so the 2 extra Strips would have been G3. Pretty sure I was on tilt from previous round, but this was my game to lose.

After the match he signs his Japanese foil MBS Mindslaver and gives it to me as good faith to keep keeping on at Magic. I ask him to sign my 3Spheres, too.

Got 20 Kahns packs I cracked for mad value for my $25 entry, but years behind on value.

Lands players, please look for one another and other Magic players. During the day 2 at the top tables there were bags that were too easy to walk away with if I was scum. Let other players know to have their bag in their site because if you can do something to prevent loss I would be so grateful. We all know how rare and hard to assemble Lands can be, so please be vigilant in notifying players, even strangers, because this shit causes people to stop playing the game altogether.

Still rocking this list until people run RW Painter and Sneak. It helps to stay stress free and well rested.
    Last edited by snorlaxcom; 12-20-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Well done representing snorlax!

Played lands Saturday in my first daily after the U.S. trip. Went 4 color and 4-0ed.

Played vs elves, dredge, UR delver and something I have since forgotten. Lost just a single duel.

Teched double torpor orb in the board :)

Got me the wtf win vs a bunch of green 1\1s with no abilities.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Orb is nice vs NO/GSZ into Hoof plan actually. If Elves! see that much play I may try it out. In my experience Cursed Totem is the bees knees vs Elves! and the Maverick uptick, but nixing flickerwisp with Orb is a huge plus. Leaning towards Containment Priest if you do have space for white.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

I played the double priest bord at the sunday super series, never really came up that they were good, but I did well.

Orb was the choice due to going nonwhite, non karakas.

Randomly also ok vs stone forge, but we don't care about that card, you are right about wisp, it's very important.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

MTG First.com presents: Diamonds for Christmas

Rnd 1 Miracles

G1 we know what hands to keep and after a long game of roundabout interaction I edge in Loams past counter magic and make a token.

G2 stacked hand of double grip and a revoker. Revoked t1 gets forced to protect his top in play. He tops in upkeep and misses land t2. I then grip the next two tops and he fails to find another land to escape my port. He falls too far behind and I hit loam to put him out of his misery.

1-0

Rnd 2 Aggro Loam

G1 we both know what we are up against. I keep a powerful hand of Intuition, Crop, MOX + lands. He plays t1 chalice and I draw Exploration... He then resolves Sylvan Library after a Loaming and my Intuition pile got an EE lock + Loam. Blew Chalice and then bogged his yard while he forgot to leave a cycle land up. Back in the game I resolved Exploration and found a waste. He resolves Titania. I Loam back Karakas and can manage his token with Maze. Marit gets made asap here. Interesting he never found any wastes or Karakas.

G2 get Exploration down before his t2 chalice and I get a t2 Bob. The card advantage from Bob is real and when I hit Loam several turns later his board is decimated and the motion to assemble the combo prompts him to extend the hand.

2-0

Rnd 3 UG Infect

G1 I keep like he is on rg Lands, his usual deck for some time now. He leads with hierarch off a trop which prompts a waste for my t1. I waste two more times, but I get hit with infect over several turns. Daze catches two of my spells and he is able to find a pump before I can stabilize.

G2 keep with a t2 chalice and ee. I blow up his one drop with ee and chalice stops all but he sticks an Agent. I get hit for a few points and pfire on my turn, but he pumps to save agent. I don't hit another removal or grove and die two turns later when he finds a pump.

2-1

Rnd 4 Esper Stoneblade

G1 keep loam hand that finds me infinite ways to control his mana and board.

G2 he lands RiP and I stalls my Loam game until I remove it. I don't come back in time and die.

G3 he removes my t2 Bob and he applies pressure each turn after landing tnn. I establish ee lock and clean the table starting with tnn and then wipe out spirits/germ. I stabilize at 1 and he sticks a Jace, but time has been called and I work to present a Marit Large. He sticks a meddling Mage naming pfire on t5 intead of naming EE. I give the match to him since he goofed here and have was ticking up with fistful of cards in hand.

2-2

Rnd 5 Miracles

G1we know what opp is on. I get Exploration + Loam going while he strokes his top and finds CB. I resolve an Intuition with EE in hand to gauge his top 3 cards since he has CB on top. Academy has been is in the yard so CB has to removed with what's left in the deck. I present 2x twest and EE. He gives me twest and I setup a turn to play multiple ee and 3 then at 4 mana. The first one resolves and I blow up 3 CB in th next series of turns. I then leave ee for 0 to lock out a wincon. I recur crucible until it sticks and fire off ghost quarters. Time is called and I dispose of his white man a to clear the way for my witch.

3-2

I make eighth based on breakers as the only 9 pointer, whew!

T8 UB Tezzerator

G1I lose the die roll and keep a strong loam hand with port. He opens with City chalice and t2 mana rock. My turn t2 I am looking at 3 Loams and start to flip the deck over. He plays sea and Leyline. Messed up and forgot you could actually cast the leyline in that deck. I resort to porting his sea and buy time to ee for 4. I need to rip 4 colors and the port is not helping. Turn before I get to 4 colors and blow ee he finds helm.

G2 I keep hand with revoker and grip. He opens with leyline and I name Helm with revoker since I can't keep him off 4 mana this game. He throws down 2 strix full of bale and a UB Tezz. I already gripped leyline before he came out in hope to dredge a Loam, but I find no control cards in the next turns and am beaten down by large birds.

3-3

I am awarded with some new friends and $10 store credit(free roll the tourney is nb). Esper opp that made t4 also throws me $10 of credit.

Next month is for seas and forces, so I need to clean up some mid game decisions by then. Opposition here is diverse and competitive. Report could have been better if I had brought a notebook, but I was satisfied with Intuition piles and boarding choices. Muligans were okay, but felt I could have had fished for a better g1 hand vs tezz.

Thread Information