Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] RUG Lands

Jul 2013
    New Haven, CT

Re: [Deck] Lands

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix View Post
    4-0ed modo daily with -traditional build. Note bridge, stax and worms

http://www.mtgpulse.com/event/17077#241742
    Phelix, how did you like Smokestack in the main? What matchups did you find it useful in and how often were you siding it out?

Oct 2011
    Denmark

smokestack is the nuts. im currently contemplating playing two in the board as well.

It shines vs miracles and any non-combo deck that plays abrupt decay = no answers. (disregard goblins and death n taxes here)

Im always happy to Draw it i feel. turn two as a huge bomb, or later to clean up on basics or block their entire gameplan.

Its rarly paired w. Worm havest, but is obvious the nuts when that happens.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

if i was playing straight up combo version, i wouldnt play this. but the combo version cannot control the lategame as well as this build. Im not saying that comboland is bad, just that smokestack is better in the slower build.

I guess you could test stack in the sideboard vs tricky matchups.
    Last edited by Phelix; 06-30-2014 at 08:35 PM.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Jul 2013
    New Haven, CT

if i was playing straight up combo version, i would play this. but the combo version cannot control the lategame as well as this build. Im not saying that comboland is bad, just that smokestack is better in the slower build.

I guess you could test stack in the sideboard vs tricky matchups.
    I'm with you in playing control, my current list was posted on this page a few comments up. I wanted to put Smokestack in for a while, and I am going to try and work in Smokestack and Worm Harvest. I like Worm Harvest because it gives you a way to attack if you have Ensnaring Bridge up against an Emrakul or some large Tarmogoyfs.

I mentioned stacks in the old thread.. I like this idea since we have so much recursion.

I have been reading about the Gerry Thompson lands list from the SCG Invitational but cannot find a deck list.. I believe it is the deck being played here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG1ICUvCMvY

Can anyone point me to a list of this deck? Curious of the build, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by justfortherecord View Post
    I mentioned stacks in the old thread.. I like this idea since we have so much recursion.

I have been reading about the Gerry Thompson lands list from the SCG Invitational but cannot find a deck list.. I believe it is the deck being played here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG1ICUvCMvY

Can anyone point me to a list of this deck? Curious of the build, thanks.
    It's a stock RG Combo list, a link to its thread is in the front-page primer. I believe GerryT also posted his sideboard/list in that thread as well.

Jul 2009
    Durham, NC, USA

I've been fooling around with 12-Post lately, and the idea occurred to me to see if I could craft a transformational sideboard to put Lands on that plan for game 2+, so I tossed this together:

// Artifacts
    4 Mox Diamond
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Smokestack
    1 Zuran Orb
    // Enchantments
    4 Exploration
    // Instants
    3 Punishing Fire
    3 Crop Rotation
    3 Intuition
    // Sorceries
    4 Life from the Loam
    2 Gamble
    1 Worm Harvest
    // Lands
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Maze of Ith
    2 Grove of the Burnwillows
    2 Tolaria West
    2 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Taiga
    1 Karakas
    1 Forest
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Misty Rainforest

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 Cloudpost
    SB: 4 Glimmerpost
    SB: 1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    SB: 1 Eye of Ugin
    SB: 1 Crop Rotation
    SB: 4 Primeval Titan

My theory was that after taking down game 1, board out some of the more controllish pieces and replace them with ramp-into-Emrakul. Maybe something like taking out 1 Ensnaring Bridge, 1 Smokestack, 1 Worm Harvest, 2 Gamble, 3 Maze of Ith, 4 Rishadan Port, 1 Tranquil Thicket, and 2 Wasteland for all 15 cards in the board. You don't really lose any of your win conditions other than Worm Harvest, and bring in a ramp combo that has no overarching concern for the graveyard, hopefully invalidating some of the hate the opponent brought in. I want to clearly state that I have no idea how well this would work, and it's a list I threw together on the fly and have done zero testing with. I wanted to put the idea forward, though, and that's always easier with a decklist.

Thoughts?

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by fdiv_bug View Post
    I've been fooling around with 12-Post lately, and the idea occurred to me to see if I could craft a transformational sideboard to put Lands on that plan for game 2+, so I tossed this together:
    [...]
    My theory was that after taking down game 1, board out some of the more controllish pieces and replace them with ramp-into-Emrakul. Maybe something like taking out 1 Ensnaring Bridge, 1 Smokestack, 1 Worm Harvest, 2 Gamble, 3 Maze of Ith, 4 Rishadan Port, 1 Tranquil Thicket, and 2 Wasteland for all 15 cards in the board. You don't really lose any of your win conditions other than Worm Harvest, and bring in a ramp combo that has no overarching concern for the graveyard, hopefully invalidating some of the hate the opponent brought in. I want to clearly state that I have no idea how well this would work, and it's a list I threw together on the fly and have done zero testing with. I wanted to put the idea forward, though, and that's always easier with a decklist.

Thoughts?
    That doesn't improve our bad MUs, namely combo.

Aug 2012
    Japan

smokestack is the nuts. im currently contemplating playing two in the board as well.

It shines vs miracles and any non-combo deck that plays abrupt decay = no answers. (disregard goblins and death n taxes here)

Im always happy to Draw it i feel. turn two as a huge bomb, or later to clean up on basics or block their entire gameplan.

Its rarly paired w. Worm havest, but is obvious the nuts when that happens.

I just finished a stretch of 50 matches in the MTGO tournament practice room, the last 13 of those using your exact 75. The good news is that I've been winning far more than I've lost, including a positive record overall vs ANT :D The 'bad' news is that I haven't cast Smokestack or Worm Harvest once in those 13 matches.

My experience so far is that G1 is either a fight for my life where there's just no time to cast them, or I'm up against a deck that's not ready to fight Lands and the cards end up as win-more. The match-ups were ANT x3, U/R Delver x2, UWr Delver, UW Stoneblade, UW Land Tax control, Junk Depths, Burn, Goblins, Elves, Dredge. I side out Worm Harvest when it's too slow or I'm expecting GY hate.

Could you elaborate a bit more on how/when you've been using them?
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours."

My 1994+ Magic Cube

Quote Originally Posted by fdiv_bug View Post

// Artifacts
    4 Mox Diamond
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Smokestack
    1 Zuran Orb
    // Enchantments
    4 Exploration
    // Instants
    3 Punishing Fire
    3 Crop Rotation
    3 Intuition
    // Sorceries
    4 Life from the Loam
    2 Gamble
    1 Worm Harvest
    // Lands
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Maze of Ith
    2 Grove of the Burnwillows
    2 Tolaria West
    2 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Taiga
    1 Karakas
    1 Forest
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Misty Rainforest

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 Cloudpost
    SB: 4 Glimmerpost
    SB: 1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    SB: 1 Eye of Ugin
    SB: 1 Crop Rotation
    SB: 4 Primeval Titan

Thoughts?
    This is an interesting idea, namely in that it helps with the difficult Miracles matchup. I think it's probably too gimmicky, but have you tested how the post-sideboard configuration works against Miracles?

Edit: Also, it seems like you would want 4 Stage maindeck to compliment this sideboard strategy, as 8 total posts doesn't seem like enough to consistently Emrakul.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

So what are your guy's thoughts on aggressive mining? It's quite expensive and a little clunky but having an ability like that is very useful.

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    So what are your guy's thoughts on aggressive mining? It's quite expensive and a little clunky but having an ability like that is very useful.
    I think you are missing the "You can't play lands." part..

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by Anen View Post
    ^This. Prob works better in a deck that actually plays ramp cards like veteran explorer or primeval titan.

Quote Originally Posted by Anen View Post
    The first thing I did when I saw that was to double check that this works with manabond. THIS WORKS WITH MANABOND. *goes back to brewing and waiting for preordered jappanese foils of aggressive mining ($4 shipped, yo!)*

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Finished 6-2 at Prague Eternal yesterday, with almost identical build to the 4-0 modo.

Flying home soon, decklist comming. Lost to eureka (!) And a lucky bug guy. Was good event. Had second stax in board. Beat miracles twice 2-0

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

6-2-1 for 28th at scg yesterday. Two top 32s in a month are nice, but punting a match each open vs our favorable mu is frustrating. Soon...

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    6-2-1 for 28th at scg yesterday. Two top 32s in a month are nice, but punting a match each open vs our favorable mu is frustrating. Soon...
    Stop teasing us :p

Apr 2014
    phillipines

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    decklist please?thanks how many players attended?

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by big_ticket View Post
    decklist please?thanks how many players attended?
    List for both
    27th out of 426 Scg somerset, nj
    28th out of 290 scg worchester, ma

3 fetch
    3 trop
    1 taiga
    1 bayou
    1 forest
    3 grove
    4 mox

4 waste
    4 port
    1 ghost quarter
    1 tabernacle

3 twest
    3 maze
    1 academy ruins
    1 bog
    1 tarpit
    1 karakas
    1 chasm
    1 stage
    1 depths

3 intuition
    1 crucible
    4 loam
    3 pfire
    4 exploration
    3 crop rotation
    3 ee
    1 zuran orb

Sb
    3 grip
    3 trinisphere (only came in vs ANT but worth the 3 slots I lost for other mu)
    2 revoker
    3 bob
    4 chalice

Haven't played legacy much between opens, but gets more fun to play each time.

Won vs ANT, GU infect, d&t, patriot, shardless bug, and bug delver <<<last rnd, this 40 minute g1 needed to be recorded for the ages and my tightest play ever. Got lili ultimated twice down to one permanent both times vs a live goyf (5/6+) and drs at 7. Was a hair away from scooping but kept a straight face and stuck it out. Bogging his decay and land t3 ended up saving the needed life at the end. Zuran Orb = op.

Losses vs sneak and show and bg loam. Drew vs miracles with lethal on board (make faster g1 next time vs newer miracles players bc they tank vs us).
    Last edited by snorlaxcom; 07-08-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Nice finishes! My list is very close to yours, I've been running a 3/3 intuition/crop rotation split too and have been loving it. Im playing almost the same list except:

-1 Tolaria West
    -1 Engineered Explosives
    -1 Creeping Tar Pit

+1 Tranquil Thicket
    +1 Dark Depths
    +1 Thespian's Stage

I personally love the 2/2 split stage/depths, I've played too many games where DRS eats one, and they think I can't combo, only to crop rotate into the second copy and win. It also helps to be able to rotate with a copy in hand.

I've always recently thought thicket was the weakest card in the deck. I don't usually want to loam that often, and usually it's just a "G:Draw a card" for me. Sure, it saves loam from extractions and you get some card advantage off of it, but I really haven't liked it. Have you missed it very much? I'm debating cutting mine for a third T-west or tarpit, I miss that guy. :)

Thread Information