Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] RUG Lands

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Re: [Deck] Lands

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkii View Post
    Nice finishes! My list is very close to yours, I've been running a 3/3 intuition/crop rotation split too and have been loving it. Im playing almost the same list except:

-1 Tolaria West
    -1 Engineered Explosives
    -1 Creeping Tar Pit

+1 Tranquil Thicket
    +1 Dark Depths
    +1 Thespian's Stage

I personally love the 2/2 split stage/depths, I've played too many games where DRS eats one, and they think I can't combo, only to crop rotate into the second copy and win. It also helps to be able to rotate with a copy in hand.

I've always recently thought thicket was the weakest card in the deck. I don't usually want to loam that often, and usually it's just a "G:Draw a card" for me. Sure, it saves loam from extractions and you get some card advantage off of it, but I really haven't liked it. Have you missed it very much? I'm debating cutting mine for a third T-west or tarpit, I miss that guy. :)
    I'm playing 2/1 split, and I'm down to just one thicket, I'd love to find room for sylvan library, but can't.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Nice finishes! My list is very close to yours, I've been running a 3/3 intuition/crop rotation split too and have been loving it. Im playing almost the same list except:

-1 Tolaria West
    -1 Engineered Explosives
    -1 Creeping Tar Pit

+1 Tranquil Thicket
    +1 Dark Depths
    +1 Thespian's Stage

I personally love the 2/2 split stage/depths, I've played too many games where DRS eats one, and they think I can't combo, only to crop rotate into the second copy and win. It also helps to be able to rotate with a copy in hand.

I've always recently thought thicket was the weakest card in the deck. I don't usually want to loam that often, and usually it's just a "G:Draw a card" for me. Sure, it saves loam from extractions and you get some card advantage off of it, but I really haven't liked it. Have you missed it very much? I'm debating cutting mine for a third T-west or tarpit, I miss that guy. :)
    Haven't had thicket since gp dc and I don't miss it much. You need at least 2 thicket to make loam draw you cards otherwise you spend 3 mana just to get your draw step back. Loam engine is limited by green sources and we actually don't have that many compared to an aggro loam list that wants to draw spells.

Tarpit is a nice tutorable (via twest) way at controlling planeswalkers through countermagic because I don't always have pfire and this is the other reasoning for the third ee. I may up the stage count to have more combo pieces but I don't like having a dummy land in 2 depths. I have had depths exitrpated and then beatdown with double tarpit thanks to stage.

I like Library in the sb because it goes around yard hate and being on color is easier to cast than a bob. Also pretty funny when they have to swords marit and you can draw 5 extra cards.
    Last edited by snorlaxcom; 07-10-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    Haven't had thicket since gp dc and I don't miss it much. You need at least 2 thicket to make loam draw you cards otherwise you spend 3 mana just to get your draw step back. Loam engine is limited by green sources and we actually don't have that many compared to an aggro loam list that wants to draw spells.

Tarpit is a nice tutorable (via twest) way at controlling planeswalkers through countermagic because I don't always have pfire and this is the other reasoning for the third ee. I may up the stage count to have more combo pieces but I don't like having a dummy land in 2 depths. I have had depths exitrpated and then beatdown with double tarpit thanks to stage.

I like Library in the sb because it goes around yard hate and being on color is easier to cast than a bob. Also pretty funny when they have to swords marit and you can draw 5 extra cards.
    I felt the same way about thicket, but I always kept the singleton copy. But it's gone now! I really missed tarpit.

Oct 2011
    nj

Has any one thought of using lotus vale as a way to win if some how we can not find thespian stage or as a way to power out further shenanigians?

How exactly is a land that cannibalizes your own land base serve as a Thespian Stage replacement? What exactly is there to power out?

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrio View Post
    How exactly is a land that cannibalizes your own land base serve as a Thespian Stage replacement? What exactly is there to power out?
    If you play Lotus Vale, your opponent will waste his Wasteland on the Vale, and thus your Depths will be more protected. That was easy to see, wasn't it? :p

Lotus vale...? What? No.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Anen View Post
    If you play Lotus Vale, your opponent will waste his Wasteland on the Vale, and thus your Depths will be more protected. That was easy to see, wasn't it? :p
    Its almost as good as producing infinite mana with two seeker of skybreak and a llanowar elf.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Probably was thinking of another card. Though I have no clue what it would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hey guys, thought I should give a quick report of my experience at SCG Baltimore. It was my first time playing Lands and I played Snorlaxcom's 76 and was extremely happy with it.

I finished 4-4-1. Here were my matchups:
    D&T x3 (1-2. I screwed up more than once in each match, easily felt I could have won all of these matches)
    Painter x2 (2-0. Once I figured out how to play this matchup I felt that it was totally fine)
    Maverick x1 (0-1. This matchup seems a little worse than D&T but I definitely felt it was very winnable)
    Shardless BRUG x1 (0-0-1. Our matchup took forever since we were both trying to outvalue each other but I think with unlimited time I would have won)
    8 Rack x1 (1-0. The matchup felt actually unlosable.)
    UW Back to Basics x1 (0-1. Lost game 1 when I put him on miracles and then he jammed Back to Basics after I ported him down to 3 lands. Game 2 he had Back to Basics, Jace, and Clique in consecutive turns and I didn't have enough time to stabilize.)

I had an absolute blast playing the deck and I feel that if I was a more experienced pilot I would have had a much easier time with matchups like D&T and Maverick. A note about my day: I drew round 1 which put me into the draw bracket where I didn't play any combo decks like Storm and Show and Tell and I knew I wasn't going to have to face them, so I never had to worry about keeping hands that would be loose against those decks. Does anyone have any thoughts about intentionally drawing round 1 to avoid all of the subpar combo matchups?

Big thanks to:
    Phil Sagnay for helping me get access to the cards I was missing.
    Chris Hawker for the Bobs.
    Jason Choe for the Trop.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by JonahGaynor View Post
    Hey guys, thought I should give a quick report of my experience at SCG Baltimore. It was my first time playing Lands and I played Snorlaxcom's 76 and was extremely happy with it.

I finished 4-4-1. Here were my matchups:
    D&T x3 (1-2. I screwed up more than once in each match, easily felt I could have won all of these matches)
    Painter x2 (2-0. Once I figured out how to play this matchup I felt that it was totally fine)
    Maverick x1 (0-1. This matchup seems a little worse than D&T but I definitely felt it was very winnable)
    Shardless BRUG x1 (0-0-1. Our matchup took forever since we were both trying to outvalue each other but I think with unlimited time I would have won)
    8 Rack x1 (1-0. The matchup felt actually unlosable.)
    UW Back to Basics x1 (0-1. Lost game 1 when I put him on miracles and then he jammed Back to Basics after I ported him down to 3 lands. Game 2 he had Back to Basics, Jace, and Clique in consecutive turns and I didn't have enough time to stabilize.)

I had an absolute blast playing the deck and I feel that if I was a more experienced pilot I would have had a much easier time with matchups like D&T and Maverick. A note about my day: I drew round 1 which put me into the draw bracket where I didn't play any combo decks like Storm and Show and Tell and I knew I wasn't going to have to face them, so I never had to worry about keeping hands that would be loose against those decks. Does anyone have any thoughts about intentionally drawing round 1 to avoid all of the subpar combo matchups?

Big thanks to:
    Phil Sagnay for helping me get access to the cards I was missing.
    Chris Hawker for the Bobs.
    Jason Choe for the Trop.
    If you realize you truely cannot win in time (marit lage is a real out) then you can get the draw handily. However, this does not allow you to get any better with the deck. You are playing a different game and you will be matched vs other control decks that tank vs us and are more likely to get another draw in this bracket (ie miracles or mirror, even painter). You want to be in a position where a draw is allowed in the last 2 rnds and not earlier. S&t and storm are not my highest picks, but I am ok taking my chances vs them.

Find your seat and keep pregame formalities brief. Have muligans resolved and be ready to cast t1 exploration when the clock starts. Don't sit back g1 because you will need that time to close the show if it goes to g3 as the opponent may realize they can't win and will play for the draw. I find myself having the most difficult game play decisions g3. Remember boarding takes time as well. The quicker you are at managing time and knowing what to board between games the better shape you are in. It's really funny when judges call my opponents for slow play, but is very distracting when we get called.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

and the more you prep and play, the quicker you CAN get to the next game, and next interaction.

Then you can choose to give it an extra think, when you have the time.

Hey guys,

Top 16'd another SCG Open, this time it was Kansas City. I might write a tournament report later, but I need to get to bed so I'll just post the link to my decklist:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=70526

I was running functionally the same 75 as my buddy Tom McLeod who top 8'd this tournament as well. His decklist is here:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=70515

7-2, my losses were to Merfolk which I drew poorly against, and Belcher which I kept a greedy hand against. Enjoy!

Nice finishes to both of you! Looks like a pretty stock list. Seems like most of us are playing 3/3 Intuition/Rotation split nowadays.

I do note your lack of Ghost Quarter however.

Nice finishes to both of you! Looks like a pretty stock list. Seems like most of us are playing 3/3 Intuition/Rotation split nowadays.

I do note your lack of Ghost Quarter however.
    Thanks!

Yeah, I don't see ghost quarter being good right now. The majority of decks in the field are playing either a ton of basics or no basics, and GQ is either way too slow or just a 5th wasteland in those circumstances. It's fine, but I'd rather have space for something else. If somebody gets a couple basics out, I still think I'll be doing just fine with Rishadan Port and Tabernacle.

Karakas moved to the sideboard also because it's just not great right now. I don't think it can be cut from the 75 because it is a unique effect and a land that taps for mana, but the only thing it is good against is Emrakul. It can bounce Thalia and that's decent, but usually Punishing Fire and E.E. is enough against Thalia. You can bounce Griselbrand, but if they draw 14 anyway, you're not winning that game so it's a moot point.

I'm loving Revoker, I still love Sphere, Thicket and the 4th crop in the board just speeds the deck up a smidge and Crop Rotation just beats so many decks flat out that it's really strong. Belcher, Dredge, Oops all Spells, and Burn for sure don't want you to have Crop Rotation, and storm is even at risk from a mid-combo Bojuka Bog.

Hey guys I played Snorlaxcom's 76 to a top 64 finish at SCG Syracuse this past weekend. My losses were: UW Stoneblade (I put him on miracles after only seeing miracles cards game 1 (top, jace, snapcaster, counterspell) and got wrecked when game 2 he went Stoneforge into TNN into Batterskull after I sided out all of my Mazes), Miracles, and Burn (lost a close game 3 after I decided to prioritize Chalice on 1 over Crop Rotating into a Glacial Chasm and got punished). The one thing I noticed throughout the day is that I really don't understand the Miracles matchup well at all. Could someone give me the tips and tricks of the matchup? I'm expecting a lot of Miracles at the Invi later this month and don't want to be caught flat-footed.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Hey guys I played Snorlaxcom's 76 to a top 64 finish at SCG Syracuse this past weekend. My losses were: UW Stoneblade (I put him on miracles after only seeing miracles cards game 1 (top, jace, snapcaster, counterspell) and got wrecked when game 2 he went Stoneforge into TNN into Batterskull after I sided out all of my Mazes), Miracles, and Burn (lost a close game 3 after I decided to prioritize Chalice on 1 over Crop Rotating into a Glacial Chasm and got punished). The one thing I noticed throughout the day is that I really don't understand the Miracles matchup well at all. Could someone give me the tips and tricks of the matchup? I'm expecting a lot of Miracles at the Invi later this month and don't want to be caught flat-footed.
    Miracles: Going in blind can be rough since they can fix g1 hands with top/bs, but you can overpower their manabase quickly with wastes/ports since they only have 13 mana producing lands. Preventing them from playing anything but free spells is ideal. They have many dead cards g1, but the cards of concern are:
    Counterbalance(Top) 3-4 copies
    Jace 3-4 copies
    Entreat the Angels 2-3 copies
    Blue dorks 3-6 dudes + sometimes 2-3 squire

Expect them to aggressively brainstorm to establish a CB soft lock, since that is the cheapest way to get back in the game vs port/wastes. Fortunately, EE lock answers all the wincons. If you fear an early CB lock will end you, then preemptively set EE for two and then find an answer for jace either by securing a pfire loop or keeping them from casting him. As the game progresses and they make land drops, a miracled Entreat will become a threat. EE for 0 can counter this plan, but be sure to keep them off Counterbalance mana in Mainphase II if you blow EE vs angels as this will destroy any other EE in play. They don't actually have many cmc 2 cards, so try to jam profitable loams vs CB anyway and draw a card when you have a land drop for the turn and are not desparate to find a pfire. I use Crops to establish early mana denial or EE lock and hardly ever assemble 20 power here.

Pfire is also a great supplemental control card that picks off dorks, reduces the life expectancey of jace, and can go to the face while you tap them down. I only take one out g2/3 because it is not needed early, but still available mid-late game. I always leave in one maze to counter their creature plan after testing and seeing many squires and cliques try to get fast beats.

Out:
    3 Intuition
    3 Crop
    2 Maze
    Pfire
    Orb
    Chasm
    Tab

In:
    12 relevant cards
    Last edited by snorlaxcom; 08-13-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Lands

1 Academy Ruins
    1 Bayou
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Forest
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Glacial Chasm
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Maze of Ith
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Rishadan Port
    1 Taiga
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    3 Thespian's Stage
    3 Tolaria West
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    1 Wooded Foothills

3 Crop Rotation
    1 Engineered Explosives
    4 Exploration
    2 Intuition
    4 Life from the Loam
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Punishing Fire
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Zuran Orb

SB
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Karakas
    2 Krosan Grip
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Thorn of Amethyst

This is the list I'm testing for the next SCG Open I attend. I've played in and done alright 5 wins, 3 losses, and a probably avoidable draw. I'm sure some of the losses were borderline also on play skill and practice. I don't play as much as I need to against opponents. (I'm in Boise, ID). I'm traveling some distance to get some events of decent size. I play test against my teammates (my significant other is on Miracles.), most of which are on combo, so I get to play test some uphill combo match ups as well. I love my archetype, and try to get as much testing as I can given local resources.

I have a love affair with Top smoothing draws. All of snorlax's advice is golden match-up wise, but I at least recommend trying out Boseiju.

Aug 2012
    Frankfurt

Can you elaborate this a bit?
    I constantly struggle with the matchup, 4-7 moon effects is to much to handle from my pov. I tried setting explosives preemptively on 3 because after a moon effect its not possible anymore (without mox + forest), but than again their wincondition parts cost 1 and 2 cmc and i lose straight to them. The other problems i have besides their moons is that my only interaction with their kill is e.e. preboard + abrupt decay/kgrip postboard, but the numbers of said cards are way to small in costrast to painters threats. On top of that most of our disruption (wasteland, port, maze, tabernacle, pfire) feels pretty useless in the matchup.

Fast Marit Lage works the most for me, but you need a really good hand for this ;)

Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    Can you elaborate this a bit?
    I constantly struggle with the matchup, 4-7 moon effects is to much to handle from my pov. I tried setting explosives preemptively on 3 because after a moon effect its not possible anymore (without mox + forest), but than again their wincondition parts cost 1 and 2 cmc and i lose straight to them. The other problems i have besides their moons is that my only interaction with their kill is e.e. preboard + abrupt decay/kgrip postboard, but the numbers of said cards are way to small in costrast to painters threats. On top of that most of our disruption (wasteland, port, maze, tabernacle, pfire) feels pretty useless in the matchup.

Fast Marit Lage works the most for me, but you need a really good hand for this ;)
    Riftstone Portal seems like it would have some merit against Moon-based effects.

Thread Information