Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why isn't there more Storm combo in the US?

Apr 2014
    Lake Jackson, TX

Re: Why isn't there more Storm combo in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    THANKS OBAMA.
    I think that we may be onto something.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Vote me for President! My pledge: to elect a Storm Czar to sort this nonsense out.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Not really sure why, maybe most people prefer to not fight through tons of hate cards? I find it intriguing and frustrating at the same time. I've only played about 9 tournament matches with storm(Bryant's list) at the local. I'm currently 4-6 so far playing against ANT with faster hands, MUD, Miracles, and Reanimator. I did manage to beat Reanimator but the pilot was inexperienced with the deck and blue cards in general. I also won a game against Miracles where I had Tendrils in hand and needed to get him to cast two spells for the natural tendrils, he had Vendilion+Karakas and CBtop online. I got him to Brainstorm and Force of Will and slipped in the Agony for exactsies(18). It felt great but I proceeded to get steam rolled in game 3.

I'm probably gonna stick with it at the locals for a while, although I like to switch up my deck choice a lot. I've noticed a good amount of mistakes in my play afterwards or saw different lines I should've taken after the fact. Game 1's are generally cake, but post board is where the skill of the storm pilot really gets tested. I don't see myself playing it in a large tournament though, since I like decks with more flexibility in card choices and boarding plans for 6+ round events. I also don't have the resources to do the proper amount of dedicated testing with the deck. It is fun winning with though.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Quote Originally Posted by sjmcc13 View Post
    1. The american educational systemthe US educational system is NOT designed to produce free thinking intellectuals. It is designed to create drones who do what they are told, and believe what they are told to believe. Or simply put it is designed to create conformists. This means that they are more likely to disregard decks that have negative connotations and pick up decks with positive ones. This means that they will tend to go towards whatever decks are being hyped or advertised.
    The European education system is NOT designed to produce free thinking intellectuals. It is designed to create drones who are less likely to be entrepreneurs and invent a game like M:tG.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs View Post
    The pro-circuit in the States and SCG qualifier ladders etc. could be another reason why people prefer picking up more straightforward, factory standard delver/SFM decks over fun decks like Storm and TinFins. I don't think in Europe people play Legacy to build up some points for a given tournament circuit or to earn cash like a pro card player, but people play Legacy just because they love the format.
    I commissioned Quinnipiac for a poll and out of the scores who've played in or watched a SCG event, they found 47 people who care about points for the SCG Players' Championship.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by LOLWut View Post
    The European education system is NOT designed to produce free thinking intellectuals. It is designed to create drones who are less likely to be entrepreneurs and invent a game like MtG
    You're both wrong, at least based on my experience with people who have been through the French, German, Italian, and post '86 Polish educational systems. The people who make it to what most people in the US would recognize as or call 'high school' actually do learn a lot more, and get much deeper theoretically into their schoolwork than their counterparts in the States. The way this is achieved is by tracking those who aren't academically strong into vocational programs that are less bookish. In the US, the stated goals of universal secondary education and a whole host of historical issues particular to the US means that tracking is harder to achieve in practice and the secondary curriculum is less rigorous for the average student as a result. Any direct comparison between these systems that doesn't take the difference in their goals and methods into account is uninformed at best and disingenuous at worst. In any case, sjmcc13 didn't provide any evidence for any of his points and they're pretty weak except for the first one as a minor contributor.

OK so I've been lurking on here since I got back into Magic again a several months ago (love the site), and a few posts in this thread are so great I finally had to make an account to praise them. First of all, sjmcc13's points are all spot on, and I love LOVE that he decided to take a shot at the US educational system while ranting about the current topic. Also, Richard Cheese's "Thanks Obama" line made me laugh so hard I spit my coffee all over my keyboard at work. Keep it up!

Thread Information