Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: GP New Jersey

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

GP New Jersey

I know it's pretty early but I just booked the flight for my next US trip including GP New Jersey and SCG Richmond.

So here the question: Who of you guys is going to the GP?

Do we make some kind of a community meeting?

See you there!

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Re: GP New Jersey

I'll be there for GP Jersey. Making the drive down with some buddies from Toronto.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I'm still torn between the GP and Eternal Weekend. Finally got power and I still haven't played in a sanctioned event with it!

I'll definitely be at one of the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Norwegian Polarbear Fighter

Jan 2012

I've bought tickets from Norway to New Jersey, so i should be there as well :). I had to choose between Eternal Weekend and the GP, and while i really wanted to play Vintage; there is only two Legacy GPs a year. If eternal weekend also gave out PT invites, i'd probably go to that. Might go to Eternal Weekend in 2015 though!
    @Stoyrm on Twitter, i usually tweet about Legacy and Magic :)

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

I'm leaning towards GP New Jersey, but I might go to Eternal Weekend instead. I haven't decided yet...
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Buddy of mine is trying to get me to go with him, so may end up out there
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I'm still torn between the GP and Eternal Weekend. Finally got power and I still haven't played in a sanctioned event with it!

I'll definitely be at one of the two.
    If you can only do one and are powered I don't think there's much debate. You get 2 complete tournies, each giving you a chance. At a GP 2 bad hands or bad matchups and 2 days down the drain, also being in day 2 with no contention of top 8 is miserable and a waste. "Moneying" for like $600 is failure. I can play sanctioned Legacy 2 times a week for the whole fucking year, but big boy sanctioned vintage maybe 3 times a year. Also Philly and the reading market being a hundred yards away beats the hell out of shitbox New Jersey. My suite is already booked for Eternal Weekend.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Yeah if you have no interest in the pro tour or whatever eternal weekend sounds like an infinitely more fun trip
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

No. Casting hydras and drafting wind drakes is of zero use to me. Edison is ~1.5-2 hours to Manhattan via train, so that's something but Edison proper is a fucking shitbox.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I'm tentatively planning on GP NJ myself. With SCG being the TO and the very positive success of the GPs they've run, I'm curious to see what they can do with a Legacy GP.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Yeah if you have no interest in the pro tour or whatever eternal weekend sounds like an infinitely more fun trip
    If your primary goal is the Pro Tour, a Grand Prix really isn't your best shot. Your best chance is to find a store with a historically low turnout for PTQs, then go to that store's event.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    shitbox New Jersey
    Only things that are shitboxes are those that get burned to the ground, boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    If your primary goal is the Pro Tour, a Grand Prix really isn't your best shot. Your best chance is to find a store with a historically low turnout for PTQs, then go to that store's event.
    If you only have one weekend. Better is to just go to as many PTQs as possible, GPs when there's no PTQ, and MOCS when there's neither (if they ever fix MTGO, hah).
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Depending on your geographic location, qualifying for the PT through a top GP finish is easier than trying to win a PTQ.

Anyways, if you are looking to have a fun time then go the Eternal Weekend. Chinatown and the Reading Terminal Market are within walking distance from the Pennsylvannia convention center. If you happen to be in the city before or after the tournament, Center City is within walking distance. Additionally, South Street and tourist attractions near Independence Hall are a short subway ride away.

If you want to actually qualify for the Pro Tour with your favorite format and don't mind that the GP is in the middle of nowhere suburbia, then go to GP New Jersey.

I live in NJ so I will be at both GP NJ and Eternal Weekend.

Maybe there is enough of us to play some vintage at the GP in some way.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by WorstBandNameEver View Post
    Maybe there is enough of us to play some vintage at the GP in some way.
    I can't find it right now, but someone at SCG replied to a previous thread (here on the source) saying they were looking into doing a sanctioned vintage event at GPNJ.
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Well I live here, so I'll be at both.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by mishima_kazuya View Post
    Anyways, if you are looking to have a fun time then go the Eternal Weekend. Chinatown and the Reading Terminal Market are within walking distance from the Pennsylvannia convention center. If you happen to be in the city before or after the tournament, Center City is within walking distance. Additionally, South Street and tourist attractions near Independence Hall are a short subway ride away.
    The stuff around Eternal Weekend is pushing me that direction. Looks like the best bet for GPNJ is the 50 minute train ride into the city :/

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Ill be there with my crew of nasty Canucks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Site Contributor

Sep 2013
    DFW

Quote Originally Posted by mishima_kazuya View Post
    Depending on your geographic location, qualifying for the PT through a top GP finish is easier than trying to win a PTQ.

If you want to actually qualify for the Pro Tour with your favorite format and don't mind that the GP is in the middle of nowhere suburbia, then go to GP New Jersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    The stuff around Eternal Weekend is pushing me that direction. Looks like the best bet for GPNJ is the 50 minute train ride into the city :/
    It was an easy decision to decide on eternal weekend after explaining this to my wife and make a full vacation out of it, not just an mtg weekend.
    Currently Playing
    Legacy: ANT

Only one AdNaus deck in the top 16 this week?

THANKS OBAMA.

Thread Information