Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: GP New Jersey

Re: GP New Jersey

Visit www.magicgp.com, to see why November 14th-16th’s #GPNJ is being called the “Can’t Miss #MTG Event of the Year!”, then preregister today! :)

Best wishes,

Pete Hoefling
    President, StarCityGames.com
    www.starcitygames.com

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

SCG pushing hard on the marketing/spamming:

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post

As they should

Vacation is scheduled, I'll be out there Thurs - Mon.

Has there been any developments on the possible Sourcer meet up?

Aug 2011
    San Antonio, TX

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post

Glad to see it as we know wizards ain't doing it.

Preregistered! Also picked up a couple of byes from a GPT.

Pallets upon pallets of sweet #GPNJ promotional swag arrived yesterday! Check out the pics at imgur.com/gallery/I0a40/, then preregister today at www.magicgp.com! #MTG

Best wishes,

Pete Hoefling
    President, StarCityGames.com
    www.starcitygames.com

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

NJ will officially have the largest judge staff ever.

Still waiting to hear back from my boss about whether I can go :/
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

Since Eternal Weekend is brought up alot in this thread: Do you guys know if there will be coverage, most ideally a stream?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by JanoschEausH View Post
    Since Eternal Weekend is brought up alot in this thread: Do you guys know if there will be coverage, most ideally a stream?
    There was last year, I'm sure there will be this year
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Great, now the whole GP has Ebola.

THANKS OBAMA.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Evan Erwin is on Reddit claiming that at the current pre-reg rate, NJ will be larger than Vegas.

In the same thread, Pete Hoefling is saying that their floor space should allow for 5,500-6,000 players

On a personal note, I've got hotel and airfare booked so I'm now 100% If anyone wants to split a cab or ride the train together from Newark, my flight lands at noon:35 Friday.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Aside from the massive SCG circlejerk, I wonder how an outcome this big is going to influence Wizards' view on Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Aside from the massive SCG circlejerk, I wonder how an outcome this big is going to influence Wizards' view on Legacy.
    Not much to do with legacy. Starcity organizing + in the northeast. And Wizards knows that. Legacy format is guaranteed reducing turnout from what it would be in sealed, or even standard.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Not much to do with legacy. Starcity organizing + in the northeast. And Wizards knows that. Legacy format is guaranteed reducing turnout from what it would be in sealed, or even standard.
    It's interesting to compare this though to GP Orlando, which was hyped by SCG for months as well. According to Wikipedia, that GP only had 2277 players, and that was a sealed event for a format that was highly anticipated. I'm not sure how the SE US Magic community compares to the NE US community, but I think it says something that a Legacy GP might very well surpass a GP of a more 'desirable' format that had the benefit of the same TO and similar advertisement.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I'd also chalk part of the popularity to location and EV.

Location is obvious: There's tons of people in the Northeast, for whom a trip to Jersey is quite easy.

EV: The stuff that they're giving you for your $50 is awesome. That playmat will be desired for years to come. I'd imagine that the playmat alone could pay for your entry and I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear about round 0 drops. In addition, the side events look fantastic. If I was anywhere near NJ, even if I didn't play eternal, I would be all over coming to this GP.

I think the use of "not much" is misleading; it (nearly) implies, that SCG organizing + in the northeast + any format = this turnout. Legacy may not be the only format that could get this, but Legacy does have a lot to do with the number. Making up numbers, but if it's true that Sealed would get 7500, Standard would get 6500, Legacy would get 5500, Block Constructed would get 1000, Vintage would get 500, Extended would get 500 if it existed, Archenemy would get 500, and whatever else, under the same circumstances, the turnout is very much a statement with meaning.

When you're solely comparing to Standard and Sealed, you're comparing to a relatively small and heavy-hitting group of formats. And we don't even know for sure that those other formats would do better; people could be coming out for Legacy specifically. And yes, obviously, many more people on the whole play Standard and Sealed than Legacy.

re Undomian: Florida consistently has the lowest turnout in the eastern US. There's just not a lot of population in driving distance. You have to go to isolated western states like Colorado or Utah before you get smaller turnout. 2200 players for Florida is impressive. Vegas only worked because of cheap airfare and modern masters hype/being the most +EV GP to enter of all time.

re LOLWut: It's impressive for legacy, but Barook was wondering if this would influence Wizards. Highly unlikely that Wizards would add another legacy GP or something because of this turnout (if it happens, it'll be from GP expansion, but I dunno how much more they could expand GPs).
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

re LOLWut: It's impressive for legacy, but Barook was wondering if this would influence Wizards. Highly unlikely that Wizards would add another legacy GP or something because of this turnout (if it happens, it'll be from GP expansion, but I dunno how much more they could expand GPs).
    We're up to three next year which I'm quite excited about!

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    It's interesting to compare this though to GP Orlando, which was hyped by SCG for months as well. According to Wikipedia, that GP only had 2277 players, and that was a sealed event for a format that was highly anticipated.
    You say it "only" had 2277 players, but isn't that a pretty big turnout for a Limited Grand Prix?

Thread Information