Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast

Thread: GP New Jersey

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: GP New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Valtrix View Post
    CDR, can you elaborate on who Lam Phan is? I'm not familiar with Magic history.
    Seconded. Googling him isn't currently useful as all the results are about the GP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Someone earlier said he was one of the original creators of the tempo thresh archetype aka canadian thresh, basically the progenitor of rug delver.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

In a nutshell:

Well known Canadian Legacy player, top8'd the first Legacy GP (Philly 2005), co-inventor of Canadian Threshold, tons of high finishes in large Legacy events.

Pretty much what Di said.

I'm also generally annoyed by how Wizards lets SCG take a GP and basically treat it like an oversized SCG Open. SCG branding/ads/employees everywhere, Magic branding nowhere. I guess it's too much to ask for Wizards to actually do their own GP coverage.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Pretty much what Di said.

I'm also generally annoyed by how Wizards lets SCG take a GP and basically treat it like an oversized SCG Open. SCG branding/ads/employees everywhere, Magic branding nowhere. I guess it's too much to ask for Wizards to actually do their own GP coverage.
    It's possible they really don't care much about the eternal formats, preferring to concentrate on Standard and Draft, where most of their money is made. The eternal formats make their business partners money but not WotC so much.

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    It's possible they really don't care much about the eternal formats, preferring to concentrate on Standard and Draft, where most of their money is made. The eternal formats make their business partners money but not WotC so much.
    SCG also does coverage for GP Orlando, which is not Legacy. WotC really should just focus on new sets and MTGO.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Here's a picture of him, if you were curious:

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

This guy is one of the reasons why we all hate Delver.dec and to some extent, Brainstorm
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Jan 2009
    Trier, Germany

Somehow, I was not impressed by his plays and asked myself quite often how he'd gotten into T8.

Edit: Just ontopic for the SCGGrinder#100 vs the Legacy legend (that I didn't know until I read it here). In terms of GP performance, the first one did way better while being covered.

bruizar

man, the gp just felt like an scg tournament to me. I want BDM in the booth.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    man, the gp just felt like an scg tournament to me. I want BDM in the booth.
    What about Jim Ross? Everything's better with Jim Ross right?

Wasn't this supposed to be GP Hollywood anyway?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post

Started the day out 3-0, then rolled three straight snake eyes and lost three straight game threes with each opponent at one life. It was more like, "Grand Prix: Get Fucked."

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Jim Ross would be awesome. "Oh my God king! Did you see that?? Delver of Secrets!"

What were you on Hollywood? Manaless?
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I was on U/R.

Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    I was on U/R.

Never again.
    Yeah I almost played that deck, then decided I just wanted to crush it instead. I even bought foil Delvers.

Went 12-3 for 45th place with Deadguy Ale. One of my losses was to Bob Huang, so I will be keeping tabs on Channelfireball to see what he says about me on his report.

LOL, when I lost round 12 to Bob, I see Lam (I play against him from time to time in Toronto area) and asked how he did that round since we were both 11-1 (well me now 11-2). He won. I said I was happy for 2 reasons. He's a good guy and happy he's doing so well and number 2, I've only beaten him twice when he's on UR Landstill. Once as Deadguy, the other as Tin Fins. So with his win and my loss, I'm not likely to face him next round as he's an auto loss for me.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Walter View Post
    Yeah I almost played that deck, then decided I just wanted to crush it instead. I even bought foil Delvers.
    Seems like you made a good choice... Congrats!! :)

Also - was awesome meeting and running into so many sourcers there. Had a pretty awesome time at the event, aside from the food situation and round length on day 1.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    I was on U/R.

Never again.
    See, if you had played Dredge or The Gate...

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Jim Ross would be awesome. "Oh my God king! Did you see that?? Delver of Secrets!"
    Oh my GAWD ALMIGHTY! He just drew 21 cards off Griselbrand! Somebody get in there and stop him!#!!@#
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Edit:

One more:http://www.totalprosports.com/2014/0...blowout-video/
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Thread Information