Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RG Combo Lands

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

RG Combo Lands

Discussion for the RG Combo Lands version with Gamble will go here.

First result of the deck was with Kurt Speiss who took 1st at SCG Baltimore.

4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Maze of Ith
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    4 Wasteland
    3 Tranquil Thicket
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Taiga
    2 Dark Depths
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Karakas
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Forest

4 Punishing Fire
    4 Gamble
    4 Life from the Loam
    3 Crop Rotation

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Exploration
    2 Manabond

//SIDEBOARD
    1 Crop Rotation
    2 Dark Depths
    1 Chalice of the Void
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Primeval Titan
    3 Krosan Grip
    1 Bojuka Bog

If someone is interested in writing something more elaborate about the deck, feel free to do so :)

Re: RG Combo Lands

It's a nonsense imho to split the discussion (and why the new thread in developmental? the RG version got more top8 than the RUG version these days).

We should have one thread for all versions of Lands, expecially now that the RG version is, numbers in hand, the most succefully and played one (according to TCDecks data).

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Barsoom View Post
    It's a nonsense imho to split the discussion (and why the new thread in developmental? the RG version got more top8 than the RUG version these days).

We should have one thread for all versions of Lands, expecially now that the RG version is, numbers in hand, the most succefully and played one (according to TCDecks data).
    It is in developmental because I don't have the will to make an extensive primer about the RG version. If you have the will, you are more than welcomed to write the primer in the established section :)

RUG with Intuition and RG with Gamble have two distinct game plans, hence the two threads.

Apr 2007
    São Paulo - Brazil

OK, fine, split the thread. But anyone had access to GerryT deck?

His maindeck is probably stock, but iirc the commentators were talking about a bunch of one-ofs in his sideboard. The only one I saw was a Courser of Kruphix he Gamble'd for. Seems like a decent on-color Dark Confidant replacement; blocks well but I imagine if you were going to run her you'd run more than one?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

He had courser, Oracle of Mul Data, and a Prime Titan I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I played this at the Invi:

4 Exploration
    4 Gamble
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Life from the Loam
    3 Punishing Fire
    3 Crop Rotation
    2 Manabond
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishaden Port
    4 Maze of Ith
    3 Wooded Foothills
    1 Forest
    2 Taiga
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Tabernacle of Pendrell Vale
    1 Glacial Chasm
    4 Thespian's Stage
    2 Dark Depths
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Karakas
    Sideboard
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    1 Oracle of Mul Daya
    1 Primeval Titan
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Dark Depths
    3 Krosan Grip
    2 Pithing Needle

I changed the Manabonds to Oracles for the Open and cleaned up the sideboard.

what was your finish Gerry ?

Gerry, would love to know how the deck fared against various strategies, and if you found any cards, main or SB, to be under-performers?

I've been on this deck since Kurt won that Open with it near the start of the year, and here are a few cards I've been experimenting with or considering.

Mirri's Guile/Sylvan Library: Mostly to help find answers that can't be dredged (replacement exploration/manabond, KGrip, etc.).
    Choke: Just love punishing blue decks.
    Courser of Kruphix: Possibly against burn-heavy decks (UR Delver, Burn) and maybe buy some turns against Tendrils.
    Primeval Titan: Out of the board when expecting RiP/Leyline.
    Ghost Quarter: Strip Mine a lot of the time, or can ensure a Wasteland/Loam lock after only one or two activations. Also good as a fetchland for the 1 basic forest in response to a Blood Moon, Price of Progress or Back to Basics.

Feb 2014
    Los Angeles, CA

I played in a small local tournament and finished 3-1. It was my first time playing the R/G combo lands off of tappedout, and it was a blast. Gamble is a fun card...yeeeah...it's a really fun card.

1st round
    Miracles

I keep two questionable hands and get abosultely pummeled for it. He had a Counterspell and Force the only time I was ever threatening with a Crop Rotation and Stage. Not a great start for me. 0-2

2nd round
    U/R Delver Burn w/ SoFi

game 1: I make a quick Marit Lage to close out the game before he can play enough business spells.

game 2: He amasses a sizable army of two flipped delvers and two active lavamancers. I crop rotate for chasm to keep him at bay planning to stage it after one upkeep dropping me to 6 life. I land a courser which allowed me to get ahead on life even with chasm in play thanks to an exploration. Finish it off with Marit. He had five creatures on the board at one point, but punishing fire and grove eventually took out the insects to clear the air. 2-0

3rd round
    Deadguy Ale w/ Deathrite

game 1: My opponent accidentally missed a Tabernacle trigger. I felt bad because it's an Italian copy, so it can be harder on my opponents. I make Marit and he doesn't have his lingering souls tokens because of Tabernacle. A punishing fire before his Deathrite could get online also saved my Loam.

game 2: Another quick Depths kill played through a Rest in Peace. I sideboared in Oracle and Helm because they get around a Rest in Peace, while also taking up only two spots for nice miser value. I never drew either card luckily his deck never got to get going in this game either. I really liked discarding Lingering Souls to Liliana for such awesome value. Also, he never landed a Bob in either game which was surprising. 2-0

4th round
    Death & Taxes
    (all foil)

game 1: We grind for a bit with Wasteland and Port battles, but eventually he lands a Stoneforge. He follows it up with Batterskull and SoFi to close out the game fast.

game 2: I bring in Oracle, Helm, Depths, and two Grips. I get a nice start of Mox Diamond into Loam for my opener. My opponent gets a little land screwed and I manage to push a second Marit Lage through after a flickerwhisp.

game 3: My opponent mulls to 5 and starts with Plains, go. I get another Mox Diamond into Loam hand. On my next turn, I gamble for Helm with 6 cards in hand. I discard a land and now we're in business for a Rest in Peace. He keeps dropping threats in Jitte, Mangara, Mindcensor, and Crusader. Fortunately punishing fire with Grove keeps his threats off the board until Oracle + Loam accelerate me into a Depths kill. 2-1

I never got to play Helm, but I had an opportunity where it could have potentially won me the game. Gamble into Helm early in the game is a fun bet. If you land it, Helms stays tucked away until they play RiP. If you hit it...well the jig is up and that's why it's called Gamble, right? Courser pulled out a win for me through his lifegain against U/R Delver. I managed to gain about 6 life before he was eventually burned out. That 4 toughness makes it a tough card for red removal to hate out and hopefully white sideboards out some Swords.

Aug 2011
    San Antonio, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Chiptoon View Post
    I played in a small local tournament and finished 3-1. It was my first time playing the R/G combo lands off of tappedout, and it was a blast. Gamble is a fun card...yeeeah...it's a really fun card.

1st round
    Miracles

I keep two questionable hands and get abosultely pummeled for it. He had a Counterspell and Force the only time I was ever threatening with a Crop Rotation and Stage. Not a great start for me. 0-2

2nd round
    U/R Delver Burn w/ SoFi

game 1: I make a quick Marit Lage to close out the game before he can play enough business spells.

game 2: He amasses a sizable army of two flipped delvers and two active lavamancers. I crop rotate for chasm to keep him at bay planning to stage it after one upkeep dropping me to 6 life. I land a courser which allowed me to get ahead on life even with chasm in play thanks to an exploration. Finish it off with Marit. He had five creatures on the board at one point, but punishing fire and grove eventually took out the insects to clear the air. 2-0

3rd round
    Deadguy Ale w/ Deathrite

game 1: My opponent accidentally missed a Tabernacle trigger. I felt bad because it's an Italian copy, so it can be harder on my opponents. I make Marit and he doesn't have his lingering souls tokens because of Tabernacle. A punishing fire before his Deathrite could get online also saved my Loam.

game 2: Another quick Depths kill played through a Rest in Peace. I sideboared in Oracle and Helm because they get around a Rest in Peace, while also taking up only two spots for nice miser value. I never drew either card luckily his deck never got to get going in this game either. I really liked discarding Lingering Souls to Liliana for such awesome value. Also, he never landed a Bob in either game which was surprising. 2-0

4th round
    Death & Taxes
    (all foil)

game 1: We grind for a bit with Wasteland and Port battles, but eventually he lands a Stoneforge. He follows it up with Batterskull and SoFi to close out the game fast.

game 2: I bring in Oracle, Helm, Depths, and two Grips. I get a nice start of Mox Diamond into Loam for my opener. My opponent gets a little land screwed and I manage to push a second Marit Lage through after a flickerwhisp.

game 3: My opponent mulls to 5 and starts with Plains, go. I get another Mox Diamond into Loam hand. On my next turn, I gamble for Helm with 6 cards in hand. I discard a land and now we're in business for a Rest in Peace. He keeps dropping threats in Jitte, Mangara, Mindcensor, and Crusader. Fortunately punishing fire with Grove keeps his threats off the board until Oracle + Loam accelerate me into a Depths kill. 2-1

I never got to play Helm, but I had an opportunity where it could have potentially won me the game. Gamble into Helm early in the game is a fun bet. If you land it, Helms stays tucked away until they play RiP. If you hit it...well the jig is up and that's why it's called Gamble, right? Courser pulled out a win for me through his lifegain against U/R Delver. I managed to gain about 6 life before he was eventually burned out. That 4 toughness makes it a tough card for red removal to hate out and hopefully white sideboards out some Swords.
    Nice finish, can you post the list and the questionable hands from round 1?

Feb 2014
    Los Angeles, CA

The main deck was stock as I think that is still the best configuration. The two copies of Manabond may occasionally be one too many, but you need to have land acceleration in this deck early. I have also heard people say there may be one too many fetch however it's really important for this deck to have access to the lone copy of basic forest. It can be too weak to Blood Moon and opposing Wasteland strategies without access to green mana.. My sideboard was 3x Grip, 4x Sphere, 1x Depths, 1x Helm, 1x Rotation, 1x Courser, 1x Oracle, 1x Titan, 1x Bog, and 1x Chalice.

Aug 2011
    San Antonio, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Chiptoon View Post
    The main deck was stock as I think that is still the best configuration. The two copies of Manabond may occasionally be one too many, but you need to have land acceleration in this deck early. I have also heard people say there may be one too many fetch however it's really important for this deck to have access to the lone copy of basic forest. It can be too weak to Blood Moon and opposing Wasteland strategies without access to green mana.. My sideboard was 3x Grip, 4x Sphere, 1x Depths, 1x Helm, 1x Rotation, 1x Courser, 1x Oracle, 1x Titan, 1x Bog, and 1x Chalice.
    When you board in a creature do you only bring in one at most?

Do you gamble for them or just rip them?

Jun 2011
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Quattro View Post
    When you board in a creature do you only bring in one at most?

Do you gamble for them or just rip them?
    You can side both in depending on the match up. When you side in the creatures you usually side out for the manabonds so the 2/2 swap is pretty natural. Courser is better for the lightning bolt decks and the Oracle is better against the abrupt decay decks. You can still side both in though as they are not dead draws. They are also good in a verity of other matches such a miracles, the mirror, etc that they are really good in too.

They are cards that I have gambled for but ripping them off the top is just awesome, it really just depends on the situation. I really only gamble for them is my loams have been extracted or the like.

Aug 2011
    San Antonio, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    You can side both in depending on the match up. When you side in the creatures you usually side out for the manabonds so the 2/2 swap is pretty natural. Courser is better for the lightning bolt decks and the Oracle is better against the abrupt decay decks. You can still side both in though as they are not dead draws. They are also good in a verity of other matches such a miracles, the mirror, etc that they are really good in too.

They are cards that I have gambled for but ripping them off the top is just awesome, it really just depends on the situation. I really only gamble for them is my loams have been extracted or the like.
    I was wondering why you would ever want to side out manabond since it seemed amazing during my goldfishing. The lands primer says its to avoid graveyard hate. Is that because you can't rely on life from the loam recursion and you can let your creatures git her done?

Jun 2011
    n/a

I was wondering why you would ever want to side out manabond since it seemed amazing during my goldfishing. The lands primer says its to avoid graveyard hate. Is that because you can't rely on life from the loam recursion and you can let your creatures git her done?
    Manabond is an all in card and you need to be more conservative in game two and three because of graveyard hate. Playing manabond after sideboard isn't awful per say but it does create opportunities to get blown out of a game with let's say a bomb effect or rip or an extraction effect on loam or a key piece leaving you with nothing in hand and no real way to get back into the game with the exception if a lucky top deck

Feb 2014
    Los Angeles, CA

While Manabond is an extremely potent weapon for Lands, it is not a very versatile card and relies on your ability to dredge Loam to keep your card advantage engine going. If you are expecting graveyard hate it makes sense to switch to a top of library plan instead as it takes away the pressure of having to Loam. I think the creatures are an excellent way to go as it makes the sideboard more versatile than previous builds. Our combo matchup is always going to be bad, so we might as well sure up some of the fair ones instead.

Hi guys. I've been playing the following list for a couple of weeks:

Land (35)
    1x Barbarian Ring
    2x Dark Depths
    1x Forest
    1x Ghost Quarter
    1x Glacial Chasm
    4x Grove of the Burnwillows
    1x Karakas
    3x Maze of Ith
    4x Rishadan Port
    2x Taiga
    1x The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4x Thespian's Stage
    3x Tranquil Thicket
    1x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Wasteland
    1x Windswept Heath
    1x Wooded Foothills

Instant (7)
    3x Crop Rotation
    4x Punishing Fire

Sorcery (8)
    4x Gamble
    4x Life from the Loam

Enchantment (6)
    4x Exploration
    2x Manabond

Artifact (4)
    4x Mox Diamond

Sideboard (15)
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Crop Rotation
    2x Dark Depths
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    3x Krosan Grip
    1x Primeval Titan
    4x Sphere of Resistance
    2x Thorn of Amethyst

I have been pretty satisfied with the list, but I wanted to hear any suggestions on how to improve the list. I'm not completely sold on Grafdigger's Cage (or Chalice, Helm and Needle) in that 'last' SB spot. Anyone who has some secret tech they want to share? :D

Aug 2011
    San Antonio, TX

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=72360

R/G combo lands made another top 8 appearance, I know I'll be copying the -1 Tranquil Thicket and +1 Horizon Canopy.

Think its about time we were let back into the lands thread?

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Is there a way to reasonably squeeze some Dark Confidants, Thalias, or Phyrexian Revokers in the sideboard, as is common with RUG Lands, or is there another reason the R/G version shies away from the man plan post board?

Thread Information