Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: RG Combo Lands

Re: RG Combo Lands

Quote Originally Posted by cuthbertthecat View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely gonna try it out at a tournament for dual lands this weekend. It's even decent against decks like ANT and Show and Tell, which is a plus. I'm pretty sure its wrong to board it in against any Delver deck but I'm not actually 100% sure, have you tested it at all in those matchups?
    I've boarded it in against Ant and felt like I shouldn't have (it sat in my hand while the opponent comboed out before I could cast it), and I've neglected to board it in against Delver Cruise and felt like I should have (if I'd have seen it, I'd have locked my opponent out of the game instead of allowing him time to cast Blood Moon.) So my inclination IS to board in against Delver and NOT against Ant (though I would definitely board it in against Sneak and Show).

Quote Originally Posted by gigapatrick View Post
    I've boarded it in against Ant and felt like I shouldn't have (it sat in my hand while the opponent comboed out before I could cast it), and I've neglected to board it in against Delver Cruise and felt like I should have (if I'd have seen it, I'd have locked my opponent out of the game instead of allowing him time to cast Blood Moon.) So my inclination IS to board in against Delver and NOT against Ant (though I would definitely board it in against Sneak and Show).
    I would like to hear more about your experiences with choke this weekend (also from Cuthbertthecat). I used to have 2 in the sideboard, and it was very good against most fair decks. But as you mention, worse against fast combo. So I cut it to dedicate the sideboard mainly to fast combo (chalice, spheres, also 1 or 2 needles).

But I am thinking of choke again, because both Miracles and UR Delver aren't good matchups, and I think the sideboard should be adjusted to this. Right now I am considering 2 choke again. And also 4 chalice of the void, which can be boarded against Miracles, fast combo, and which I'll probably start siding against UR Delver as well. Although the gameplan against UR Delver might be to combo out as soon as possible, instead of chalice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivfader View Post
    I would like to hear more about your experiences with choke this weekend (also from Cuthbertthecat). I used to have 2 in the sideboard, and it was very good against most fair decks. But as you mention, worse against fast combo. So I cut it to dedicate the sideboard mainly to fast combo (chalice, spheres, also 1 or 2 needles).

But I am thinking of choke again, because both Miracles and UR Delver aren't good matchups, and I think the sideboard should be adjusted to this. Right now I am considering 2 choke again. And also 4 chalice of the void, which can be boarded against Miracles, fast combo, and which I'll probably start siding against UR Delver as well. Although the gameplan against UR Delver might be to combo out as soon as possible, instead of chalice.
    The board I plan to take to SCG Columbus this weekend is as follows:

4 Krosan Grip
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    3 Chalice of the Void
    2 Choke
    2 Dark Depths

(I'm keeping the same maindeck as the one already published in my tournament report).

I think Choke is pretty important right now, since the prevalence of UR Delver has also encouraged more and more people to play Miracles, and while I think UR Delver should actually be a decent matchup for us, I do think Choke is a great card against them too.

In any case, I'll post another report after the Open.

I've posted another tournament report if anyone is interested.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...815#post846815

Quote Originally Posted by gigapatrick View Post
    I've posted another tournament report if anyone is interested.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...815#post846815
    Now that's a well written report.Thanks for sharing.

Nice win against Helm/RIP Miracles! Not a good matchup, and apparently choke and chalice made quite a difference. I did notice that choke was boarded in a lot, but besides this matchup, wasn't mentioned a lot in your report. I suppose it faced lots of counters/destruction?

It was interesting to read how you boarded, as it's slightly different of my boarding habits. Usually I side in both Depths, along with manabond. Manabond I board out when there's many (like 4 KGrip/ADecay) nonland sideboardcards, or when I expect extraction (which I don't see that often anymore, seems to be largely replaced by Grafdiggers Cage). I often side in 2 depths and 2 Decay's. Anyway, that gives me plenty opportunity for creating beloved Marit, and especially against the U/R Delver matchup, I think a fast and explosive combowin is this deck's best chance.

Although I do not board extra Depths against other Depths/Stage strategies, as excessive copies of Dark Depths on the table can be copied by your opponent as well (which I learned through a slightly humiliating experience against a MUDpost deck).

So, looking forward to see what you'll play next time. In december I'll play a bigger tournament, and will try to eloquently write a report as well.
    Last edited by Rivfader; 11-13-2014 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivfader View Post
    Now that's a well written report.Thanks for sharing.

Nice win against Helm/RIP Miracles! Not a good matchup, and apparently choke and chalice made quite a difference. I did notice that choke was boarded in a lot, but besides this matchup, wasn't mentioned a lot in your report. I suppose it faced lots of counters/destruction?

It was interesting to read how you boarded, as it's slightly different of my boarding habits. Usually I side in both Depths, along with manabond. Manabond I board out when there's many (like 4 KGrip/ADecay) nonland sideboardcards, or when I expect extraction (which I don't see that often anymore, seems to be largely replaced by Grafdiggers Cage). I often side in 2 depths and 2 Decay's. Anyway, that gives me plenty opportunity for creating beloved Marit, and especially against the U/R Delver matchup, I think a fast and explosive combowin is this deck's best chance.

Although I do not board extra Depths against other Depths/Stage strategies, as excessive copies of Dark Depths on the table can be copied by your opponent as well (which I learned through a slightly humiliating experience against a MUDpost deck).

So, looking forward to see what you'll play next time. In december I'll play a bigger tournament, and will try to eloquently write a report as well.
    Glad you enjoyed the report, and thanks for the compliments.

On Choke: I boarded it in against all the decks with Islands in them (Bug Midrange, Miracles x2, Bug Delver, Delver Cruise,) and the time I cast it against RIP Miracles was the only time it hit the board. In the other matches, I either didn't see it or it got countered. At the time, Choke seemed of the utmost utility against RIP Miracles, but when I think on it now, I wonder how much it actually did. Once I had Chalice on one and Chalice on four, Miracles couldn't really do anything of consequence. It did probably keep her off four mana long enough for me to get the Chalice on four (which she said was a good play, since the next turn she planned on playing Helm). So the card is probably worth a slot in the board, though as I said in my report, I'd probably change the Chalice/Choke split to 4/1. At my next local legacy tournament, I might try something else in the board entirely, something from Legacy's deep card pool, not sure what, but I wouldn't mind scouring Gatherer for something crazy and brutal.

On boarding: I think I'm boarding out Manabond too often. I agree that it should probably stay in against Delver Cruise, as comboing out quickly does seem like our best avenue towards winning. I think in the future I'll only board out Manabond if I expect RIP or an Extraction effect, or possibly against Deathrite Shaman decks. As for boarding in Depths: I expected to do it more often than I did, but my expectations for how the deck would play out didn't actually pan out most of the time. That is, I expected to play the control role in game one and then, to board with hate in mind, go for the combo as quickly as possible in games two and three. I found myself more often than not just going for the combo without a hardlock in almost all of my game ones, and then in games two and three trying to play the control game. I'm not sure why it played out like this; maybe that's just what the deck is designed to do more than anything else. I use to think that the deck was a control deck first and then a combo deck second, but after Columbus, my perception on that point may be shifting.

In any case, I look forward to your future report.

Addendum: Wanted to add to that I think that I should have boarded Chalice of the Void in against Delver Cruise as well. Not sure what to cut for it, but I'm leaning towards Chalice as an excellent strategy to turn off half of Counterburn's deck.
    Last edited by gigapatrick; 11-13-2014 at 06:05 PM.

It seems there was quite a representation of RG lands on the second day of the GP! Congratulations to the players who were there. And if anyone would like to share a report, I am very interested to read it.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I am wondering, does this thread meet the requirements for moving it to Established now? I mean, this deck has been doing well for a while now and if Tabernacle cost less than your first born, I reckon it would see more play.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Getting that started. Messaged Kurt for a primer earlier in the week and he's writing an op. I'll keep you updated.

Mar 2013

Sweet, thanks.

I got my last two Depths and my Gambles today. The deck is finished and I am thinking it will be my main for a good long while. So while I do not have the experience to help with a primer, if you need help shoot me a message.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Dec 2012
    Rockville, MD

Former Professional Wizard Benjamin Peebles-Mundy went 12-3 with RG Lands as well, despite not having playtested at all.

He said he was disappointed not to win one more match, although he said he expected to go 4-3 drop then cube.

Mar 2013

Got a link to the list? I can not find it.

Dec 2012
    Rockville, MD

Got a link to the list? I can not find it.
    I believe it's really close to this:

//36
    4 Green Fetchland
    3 Taiga
    1 Forest
    4 Thespian Stage
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    1 Tabernacle at the Pendrell Vale
    3 Maze of Ith
    4 Dark Depths
    2 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Glacial Chasm

//24
    2 Manabond
    4 Exploration
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Crop Rotation
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Gamble
    4 Life from the Loam

Sideboard
    4 Krosan Grip
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Chalice of the Void
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas

nothing too exciting here, because Peebles-Mundy hadn't playtested at all before the tournament and just decided to run a 'stock' list (aka what a bunch of people (including myself) could get him).

Hi everyone, about to stream a daily on MTGO with this deck. http://www.twitch.tv/cuthbertthecat

Enjoyed your video, cuthbert. Rough facing two combo decks. I agree with you about Choke; don't think it is near good enough for those matchups.

Mar 2013

Watching the Past vid, a good amount of it is muted.

Watching the Past vid, a good amount of it is muted.
    Yeah, Twitch has started to buckle down on muting copyrighted music playing in the background of streams apparently. I'll probably stream without music next time for better re-watching value.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Haven't forgot about you guys. Kurt is almost done.

Hello,
    Could Bind be an intersesting maindeck option for RG lands?
    The biggest difficulty would be to make some room in the already very tight decklists, but this card could add more mana disruption (destroy fetchlands), protect our mana & lands (nullify wastelands, destroy opposing ports, get rid of random karakas being activated), protect a loam or specific land vs Deathrite Shamans, etc.
    It looks like it's nearly never going to be a dead card.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - Jeremy

Mar 2013

The thing is, in none of the situations you have outlined does it do something we can not already do. Land destruction is the decks bread and butter. There is no need to add more. Stopping DRS for two mana would be better done with Punishing Fire. The worst card in Thresh is Stifle, why would we add it to this deck?

Thread Information