Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: Conspiring in Legacy

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: Conspiring in Legacy

There's something to be said for someone who can so be eloquent and potty-mouthed at the same time. I quite like reading Tsumi's opinions. But I wish to add a further perspective. I like both the flavor and the effect (effect on the meta - not the ugly phrase "choose, vote, etc.") of Council's Judgement. I actually think that this direction for power-creep is sorta necessary, rather than the balls-to-the-wall brute force that tarmo brought. In a sense, this is a more elegant form of power creep too. Creatures have been getting better and better protections with lots of different variations. It is a terribly untidy mess. Shroud; Hexproof; Protection from x, y, z; Emrakul's hand-crafted protection; etc. This card pushes all that bureaucracy to the side and just says "no" in a next tier of power creep of a different kind. Be on the lookout for new keywords to circumvent Council's Judgement and similar cards.

MC Hammer - "can't touch this..."
    Second Amendment - "Sure it kills lots of innocent people and has outlived it's usefulness, but procedure, culture, owned politicians, and the NRA say it stays"
    Keyser Soze - "OMG. You can't kill this! In fact, don't even say it's name."
    martyr - "Go ahead and destroy this permanent. I dare you."
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

I'm sure the next ability will be this

? U
    Creature - Human Rogue C
    Nameless (This card can't be named or chosen in any zone)
    1/1

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I'm sure the next ability will be this

? U
    Creature - Human Rogue C
    Nameless (This card can't be named or chosen in any zone)
    1/1
    Actually, the next logical step would be:

~ can't leave the battlefield.

At this point I am just waiting for the counterspell that counters any spell, even those that can't be countered.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by M+1 View Post
    At this point I am just waiting for the counterspell that counters any spell, even those that can't be countered.
    Time Stop, but especially Mindbreak Trap do that already.

And Ertai's Meddling.
    Six- and four mana counterspells are not playable in Legacy. I meant a playable one. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    OK, Mindbreak is playable but not in that way.

I really don't like Council of Judgement or TNN, and I hate that we now have new mechanic (voting) in Legacy that makes absolutely zero sense in a two player game. These gimmick cards make Legacy look silly. People will say they were designed for multiplayer games, but they are allowed in Legacy because it is such a silly format anyway.
    And now they added the drafting specific Conspiracy cards to the Legacy banned list. Why? It's not like they are real cards. They might as well add the FNM inserts too.

I am leaning towards banning all multiplayer sets in Legacy. Reprint the well designed stuff like Flusterstorm in a real set and ditch the multiplayer garbage.

Mar 2007

It would be interesting to hear what are Maro's thoughts on cards with clear multiplayer design in 1-on-1 games. Stuff like TNN and Council's Judgment seems downright silly in that regard.

Maybe I get an answer on that question.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by M+1 View Post
    I really don't like Council of Judgement or TNN, and I hate that we now have new mechanic (voting) in Legacy that makes absolutely zero sense in a two player game. ...

I am leaning towards banning all multiplayer sets in Legacy. Reprint the well designed stuff like Flusterstorm in a real set and ditch the multiplayer garbage.
    Well, it's a double-edged sword; these multiplayer sets are supposed to be their inlet for printing new, Eternal-only cards that could never see print in Standard. The fact that they've printed derps like TNN is unfortunate, but the method for delivery is all right. They just need to not print things on the justification that "in the format they're intended for, they're fine" because they have acknowledged on more than one occasion that these sets facilitate precisely that "new cards for Eternal" function.

It's really sloppy but they talk out of both sides of their mouth on this point; if something is well-received they go "Why thank you! We knew you'd appreciate it." and of course when things are met with resistance they change their tune to "again, guys, as a dickhead reminder, this is a m-u-l-t-i-p-l-a-y-e-r set. If you play the card like we asked you to, it's savvy." As if the mean brokenness between two formats is close enough to 0 that that fixes anything. (if it did, they'd just print it in standard OH WAIT)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Actually, the next logical step would be:

~ can't leave the battlefield.
    Yeah, but you can't thoughtseize my card

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Yeah, but you can't thoughtseize my card
    I'll be playing my can't leave the battlefield cards in a deck with Leyline of Sanctity (aka Fuck You That's Why) and casting them with Cavern of Souls. Fuck interaction, why play games WITH people? Joke of the year.

... ;_;
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Thread Information