Thread: Contamination, Extraplanar lens, Snowfall

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

Contamination, Extraplanar lens, Snowfall

Contamination is in EDH play for a while. People are getting bit nervous when they receive only black or colorless mana.

Then I cast Extraplanar lens and imprinted Island on it. At that time I had 6 other islands in play.

a) Definition "if land is tapped for mana" refers only to standard mana ability of any other land? What about other mana abilities with "TAP" in cost Cabal coffers or Nykthos, shrine to Nyx? What about mana abilities of lands without TAP in cost (if there are such things)...

b) There is errata on Contamination: "External effects that generate more mana still generate their additional mana as directed without being affected by this card. Effects which generate more mana based on what type of mana the land produces will be affected in color but not in amount."

Extraplanar lens or High tide are surely external effects that generate additional mana. In this case is the mana generated from the land, or from the Extraplanar Lens?

There was an argument that I will not receive any additional mana. Later it was decided that I will receive that mana, but it will be black (and thus colorless due EDH rules).

c) Snowfall
    I have trouble with its formulations.

- if you tap a land add U to your mana pool
    - if that land is snow add UU to your mana pool.
    - Spent this mana only to pay cumulative upkeeps.

Is the last sentence is referring to both non-snow and snow lands?

Also Snowfall specifically states that if Island is tapped its controller may add U (edit: Not additional mana based on type of the land, as in case of Extraplanar lens). How does this interact with Contamination?
    ...the advance of computerisation, however, has not yet wiped out nations and ethnic groups...

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Contamination, Extraplanar lens, Snowfall

Quote Originally Posted by Offler View Post
    Contamination is in EDH play for a while. People are getting bit nervous when they receive only black or colorless mana.

Then I cast Extraplanar lens and imprinted Island on it. At that time I had 6 other islands in play.

a) Definition "if land is tapped for mana" refers only to standard mana ability of any other land? What about other mana abilities with "TAP" in cost Cabal coffers or Nykthos, shrine to Nyx? What about mana abilities of lands without TAP in cost (if there are such things)...

b) There is errata on Contamination: "External effects that generate more mana still generate their additional mana as directed without being affected by this card. Effects which generate more mana based on what type of mana the land produces will be affected in color but not in amount."

Extraplanar lens or High tide are surely external effects that generate additional mana. In this case is the mana generated from the land, or from the Extraplanar Lens?

There was an argument that I will not receive any additional mana. Later it was decided that I will receive that mana, but it will be black (and thus colorless due EDH rules).
    There doesn't seem to be much of a question here, since you have found the answer. If the land is tapped for mana (aka you used a mana ability from the land), contamination replaces that mana to black. It affects the color but not the amount.

Extraplaner lens and and high tide create triggered mana abilities that don't use the stack. In the case of Lens, lens sees the land imprinted produce black, so you get an addition black with contamination out.
    c) Snowfall
    I have trouble with its formulations.

- if you tap a land add U to your mana pool
    - if that land is snow add UU to your mana pool.
    - Spent this mana only to pay cumulative upkeeps.

Is the last sentence is referring to both non-snow and snow lands?

Also Snowfall specifically states that if Island is tapped its controller may add U (edit: Not additional mana based on type of the land, as in case of Extraplanar lens). How does this interact with Contamination?
    The additional mana from the lands (both the U from islands and the UU from snow islands) can only be used to pay for upkeeps.

If I have a snow island and contamination + snowfall out... I tap the snow island for U. Contamination replaces this tap for U with a tap for B. Snowfall triggers and says "i don't care that the island might be tapping for PURPLE, you tapped it for mana" and it adds UU that can only be used on cumulative upkeeps.

In short, contamination and snowfall do not interact in the slightest
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

Re: Contamination, Extraplanar lens, Snowfall

Later I checked the wording of High tide.

"Until end of turn, whenever a player taps an Island for mana, that player adds Blue to his or her mana pool (in addition to the mana the land produces)."

High tide specifies that Blue mana is added, so its not "additional mana a land can produce" as in case of Extraplanar lens.

Gauntlet of power - "Mana of the chosen color"
    Caged sun - "add one additional mana of that (a land can produce) color"

In case of Snowfall i checked "Printed text":

Islands may produce an additional oU when tapped for mana. This mana is usable only for cumulative upkeep.
    Snow-covered islands may produce either an additional oUoU or an additional oU when tapped for mana. This mana is usable only for cumulative upkeep.

Much more clearer...
    ...the advance of computerisation, however, has not yet wiped out nations and ethnic groups...

Thread Information