Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ten Years of Legacy

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Ten Years of Legacy

Legacy turns 10 in October. I know this because I discovered and joined this site mere weeks before the format was created. The format had been called 1.5 before that, and it worked essentially like Vintage Lite. But Legacy promised to be totally different from it's predecessor, and I was excited to get in on the ground floor of this nascent format where my Candelabras, Tabernacles, Mazes of Ith, Mox Diamonds, Survival of the Fittest, Lotus Petals, etc. were open season.

Much has changed since then. Nobody had discovered what Goblins would look like yet, though the cards were available to make the deck similarly to what it looks like today. But beyond that, most of the best decks of today could not have existed then. It's mostly creatures that have gotten better, but not entirely. At the very beginning, the best creatures included...

Meddling Mage
    Nimble Mongoose
    Mishra's Factory
    Tradewind Rider

...There were still trade magazines like Scrye and InQuest with price lists for every card ever printed, updated monthly. The first best deck was called Angry Tradewind Survival with Blue-White Landstill, then Vial Goblins, and then Blue-White-Green Threshold each taking a turn at the top spot in that order. It was many months before any combo decks at all were decent. The first was Solidarity. But really anything was possible back then. I mean, really anything.

In September of 2004 I came to this site to get help creating my first Legacy deck: Welder Survival. There were about 500 members with only a handful of active ones. The thread seems to be gone from the archive now. But when I arrived looking for some advice, I found out quickly that nobody really had any idea what was out there or what was going to be good. Survival of the Fittest and Goblin Welder, two cards with obvious synergy had never been played together in a 1.5 deck! I was home. Pulled it out of the archives for nostalgia and reference - Jander -- Welder Survival RGw

Here is something to drool on.

Underground Sea was $20.
    Force of Will was $15.
    Wasteland was $5.
    Tabernacle of Pendrell Vale was $30.
    Aether Vial was $4.
    Karakas was $5.
    Candelabra of Tawnos was $50.
    Moat was $60.
    Show and Tell was a junk rare. I have given between 6 and 9 of these away.
    Rishadan Port was $10.
    Sensei's Divining Top was $5.
    Gaea's Cradle was $20.
    Sneak Attack was $8 or so.
    City of Traitors was about $12.
    Humility was $2.
    Lion's Eye Diamond was about $5.
    Imperial Recruiter (not legal yet) was $5.
    ...and so on.

What are some of your memories from the first ten years of Legacy?
    Last edited by Jander78; 06-19-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Added link to Survival Welder
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Re: Ten Years of Legacy

I remember seeking for Merfolk advice we Lorwyn first get spoiled.

I learned that my old Extended Goblins was Legacy viable (minus the Recruiters). Though I was rocking an X-land Elf Stompy. Who needs Glimpse of Nature when you're beating down with Talara's Batallion and Wren's Run Vanquisher.

I kept on banking on Land Tax getting unbanned and hoping to develop it. But as time goes, what once was good does get outdated.

Legacy has changed a lot. Personally I haven't played it (or any Magic) for a while now. Though I am still keeping in touch of the format. I will still play, if life permits.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Sep 2004
    Raleigh, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    What are some of your memories from the first ten years of Legacy?
    I remember how much of a house goblins was for the first few years of legacy. I would get crushed by turn one lackeys time and time again. It wasn't until I was playing R/G survival with burning wish, jitte, and shard phoenix that I really felt like I had a decent game against it, and I would still occasionally get demolished by a bunch of goblins. No matter how much the metagame has shifted, I think I will always have a healthy respect for the deck. I also remember throwing tormod's crypt in all of my sideboards, because hey, it costed zero, hosed IGGY-pop, and made Werebear and Nimble Mongoose tiny.

Apr 2009
    NEPA

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...e/dci20080602a
    The day I quit Vintage and joined legacy, also the day vintage died in my book and for most people. I started playing r/g beats and uw landstill in legacy

I was playing a Static Orb/Opposition Merfolk lockdown deck. I can't even fathom trying to run Opposition nowadays
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

I got into T1.5 around 98'-99' when Saga and Destiny came out. I remember rocking this sweet mono-U control list with Mana Drain, Morphling, Treachery, Powder Keg, Masticore and Ophidian plus ofcourse the usual suspects.

Cards were dirt cheap but as a 15 year old I wasn't exactly stacked. Still somehow I managed to get my Drains, Fows, Wastes and some duals even.

Once we cracked my friends' big brothers' box of Allinces without permission for some Balduvian Horde and Fows. Even then we were degenerates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

I remember running all over my high school trying to find the guy who had Goblin Lackeys. He would only trade them for a copy of No Rest for the Wicked. I never got those Lackeys.

I remember being an asshole and sharking FNM kids for Onslaught Fetches when those first came out because nobody thought they were good for anything.

I remember beating up on the some kid in my advisory class with a fully built Oath deck. He had a tribal Birds deck. My fatties were Spirit of the Night and Akroma, Angel of Wrath. We played everyday and he never got tired of losing.

I remember our local shop had an FNM where the only rule was No Kills Before Turn 4. Legacy was Type 1.5 at the time and I held myself to that format. Nobody else followed any rules. These two guys always won. I finally beat the Squirrel Opposition guy and the Tolarian Academy guy with UG Madness with FOW, fetches, and duals. I later built an Isochron Scepter deck with MD Echoing Truth, Sol lands, Voltaic Key, and Grim Monolith just for that Squirrel Opposition guy. I beat him.

I remember that mail-in exchange program when Urza's Legacy first came out. It was put in place so you could trade in your "banned before it was released" Memory Jars for Urza's Legacy boosters. I had to learn how to write a letter just to mail that thing in.

I remember going to the very first Source tournament. It was held somewhere in Canada I think? Near The Batcave. Bardo and some mods+adepts organized it. I'm not sure if I was even 21 (19 is the drinking age in Canada) but I got a bit drunk at the bar across the parking lot between rounds. I was playing UGW CounterThresh and drunkenly named the perfect card with Meddling Mage against a Storm player. He was sad. I think later I lost to Frogboy/Max McCall because his deathstare made me forget how to use Counterbalance + Brainstorm and he resolved a Terravore against me when I had a 3 drop in hand. He works for WOTC now and we have some mutual friends. They tell me he smiles now. On occasion.

I remember taking the bus and walking uphill for a mile to the closest card shop where I bought all my blue duals for $20-25 each. That was a ton of money for me back then. My mom often wondered how I burned through my lunch money so fast.

I remember asking my mom for $20 at the strip mall to buy a Force of Will from a dealer. I got $8 back in change and bought some pizza with it.

I remember the Official Wizards of the Coasts stores in the local malls and how odd they were. Me and my degenerate teenage friends would steal boosters because they were just sitting out there in the open. Onslaught was the newest set. After a few weeks of this, they moved the store around to put boosters behind the counter. I don't steal or egg houses anymore.

I remember almost maxing out my first credit card buying Future Sight booster boxes because I didn't feel like paying $35 a pop for Goyfs. I only opened 1 Goyf in 3 boxes and ended up maxing out the rest of my credit card just buying the rest of the Goyfs at retail. Dumb kids shouldn't have credit cards.

I remember when I had Landstill built and had to pray that nothing crazy happened after I cast my Nevinyrral's Disk. I remember having to use a Wooded Foothills to fetch up a Volcanic Island because I didn't have the right kind of fetches yet.

I remember buying a single booster of The Dark for $13 (I think?). I opened a Maze of Ith, just what I wanted.

I remember our shop owner had to make a rule about buying Scryes instead of just passing around the store copy because nobody ever bought them. The sharkiest traders always spent the $5 to have the newest Scrye issue.

I remember the Magic the Gathering novels. The Greensleeves cycle and the Brother's War trilogy were my favorite books. If I read them now, I'd probably hate them.

I remember that if you Googled "Magic the Gathering", the first 4 results were religious sites warning people that MTG would cause their children to worship Satan. The jury is still out on that claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    I remember running all over my high school trying to find the guy who had Goblin Lackeys. He would only trade them for a copy of No Rest for the Wicked. I never got those Lackeys.

I remember being an asshole and sharking FNM kids for Onslaught Fetches when those first came out because nobody thought they were good for anything.

I remember beating up on the some kid in my advisory class with a fully built Oath deck. He had a tribal Birds deck. My fatties were Spirit of the Night and Akroma, Angel of Wrath. We played everyday and he never got tired of losing.

I remember our local shop had an FNM where the only rule was No Kills Before Turn 4. Legacy was Type 1.5 at the time and I held myself to that format. Nobody else followed any rules. These two guys always won. I finally beat the Squirrel Opposition guy and the Tolarian Academy guy with UG Madness with FOW, fetches, and duals. I later built an Isochron Scepter deck with MD Echoing Truth, Sol lands, Voltaic Key, and Grim Monolith just for that Squirrel Opposition guy. I beat him.

I remember that mail-in exchange program when Urza's Legacy first came out. It was put in place so you could trade in your "banned before it was released" Memory Jars for Urza's Legacy boosters. I had to learn how to write a letter just to mail that thing in.

I remember going to the very first Source tournament. It was held somewhere in Canada I think? Near The Batcave. Bardo and some mods+adepts organized it. I'm not sure if I was even 21 (19 is the drinking age in Canada) but I got a bit drunk at the bar across the parking lot between rounds. I was playing UGW CounterThresh and drunkenly named the perfect card with Meddling Mage against a Storm player. He was sad. I think later I lost to Frogboy/Max McCall because his deathstare made me forget how to use Counterbalance + Brainstorm and he resolved a Terravore against me when I had a 3 drop in hand. He works for WOTC now and we have some mutual friends. They tell me he smiles now. On occasion.

I remember taking the bus and walking uphill for a mile to the closest card shop where I bought all my blue duals for $20-25 each. That was a ton of money for me back then. My mom often wondered how I burned through my lunch money so fast.

I remember asking my mom for $20 at the strip mall to buy a Force of Will from a dealer. I got $8 back in change and bought some pizza with it.

I remember the Official Wizards of the Coasts stores in the local malls and how odd they were. Me and my degenerate teenage friends would steal boosters because they were just sitting out there in the open. Onslaught was the newest set. After a few weeks of this, they moved the store around to put boosters behind the counter. I don't steal or egg houses anymore.

I remember almost maxing out my first credit card buying Future Sight booster boxes because I didn't feel like paying $35 a pop for Goyfs. I only opened 1 Goyf in 3 boxes and ended up maxing out the rest of my credit card just buying the rest of the Goyfs at retail. Dumb kids shouldn't have credit cards.

I remember when I had Landstill built and had to pray that nothing crazy happened after I cast my Nevinyrral's Disk. I remember having to use a Wooded Foothills to fetch up a Volcanic Island because I didn't have the right kind of fetches yet.

I remember buying a single booster of The Dark for $13 (I think?). I opened a Maze of Ith, just what I wanted.

I remember our shop owner had to make a rule about buying Scryes instead of just passing around the store copy because nobody ever bought them. The sharkiest traders always spent the $5 to have the newest Scrye issue.

I remember the Magic the Gathering novels. The Greensleeves cycle and the Brother's War trilogy were my favorite books. If I read them now, I'd probably hate them.

I remember that if you Googled "Magic the Gathering", the first 4 results were religious sites warning people that MTG would cause their children to worship Satan. The jury is still out on that claim.
    This was beautiful.

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

I remember playing a lot of Vintage back in the day, and always playing budget decks. Back then, "budget" meant you could still play FoWs, ON fetches and blue duals, but no power. I remember swearing out loud when I had to pay around $85 for an entire set of Rev Underground Seas, which to me was a fortune back then.

After making the jump to Legacy, I was thrilled to actually be playing a DTB for once in my life. No more Null Rods, no more Elvish Spirit Guides etc. My first Legacy deck was CounterSlivers and I finished second in my first ever Legacy tournament of about 20 people. I lost in the finals vs. Mono-White Stax with Humility in it. :(

This was around 2007 or so, so I haven't been around for all of the ten years, sadly.
    Currently playing:

Canadian Threshold Primer!
    Team America

My blog about Legacy, limited, EDH and stuff!

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

I got back into Magic as Saviors was being released. DTB were Golbins, Affinity, Survival. I got back into Legacy with Standstill. I had three FoW and bought my fourth for $12.
    I remember stocking up on duals, selling Rav shock lands to my LGS for duals. Two shocks lands for one revised dual.
    I remember survival... Oh survival, how great was that deck?
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Winning a legacy tournament and buying my first volcanic with the prize money while being dead tired from work with gw maverick and my last round opponent rages out of the store

The best

Still not sure how I won honestly
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I got back into MTG during Time Spiral and then Legac in 2007. Played some UGw Thresh for awhile then found Eva Green and was hooked on BG decks.

I remember being absolutely adamant about refusing to pay more than $25 for an Unlimited Tropical Island.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I returned to the game in 2005 or maybe even 2006 after a few years of hiatus. Our lgs had Extended tournaments and some time around 2007/8 we convinced the keeper to start Eternal. Luckily Vintage died nigh immediatelly and Legacy was the only format. I rmember the feeling "oh, I started too late" as the format was few years old and quite explored, and things were pretty expensive, like 20 euro per dual, etc. Nearly a decade later... and I don't have a clue what happened.

Also, I miss UGw Threshold. But maybe I already wrote that.
    And, I miss non-blue metagame.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

played my first legacy event the week after it came into existence.

cant rembmer wth i played, but i lost.

the metagame was pretty much burn, goblins, and other extended decks.

so i quickly built life.dec and won 3 of the next 4 events.

after that we started having a more varied metagame.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    Jar was part of it. The other part is that WOTC banned a slew of combo pieces from Standard. The mail-in rebate was envisioned as a way to placate the people who were upset because of the bannings. Amusingly, the banned cards are worth way more today than the rebate packs would have been. I'll share this piece of history with the group ...

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

I left Magic during Urza Saga so I missed the birth of Legacy.

I got started back into standard during Zendikar and was one of those who ported Cawblade into Legacy Stoneblade. I happened to keep a few select cards from back in the day to fuel the the acquisition of cards.

I think it was still called Type 1.5 when Apocalypse was around and it was the go-to casual format for my friends since we couldn't afford the rotating nature of type 2/standard. I scored my first win using the B/R deck from Deckmasters against my friend's winter orb deck.

I got back into Legacy during RTR-Innistrad-M14 standard, some of the cards I still had helped getting into standard easier, however buying the blue duals made me cry.

Imperial Recruiter was actually not legal in legacy at one point?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Ithink like portal and starter cards weren't legal or something
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I ran weekly 1.5 tournaments starting I think around Odyssey, and naturally legacy once the format switched. I think Millennium was one of only a few places in the US if not the world running weekly 1.5. I think the weeklies peaked around 80 people, probably before legacy existed, but were still 30-50 for many years. I remember Dave Price playing a completely different deck every week, before playing Survival one week and never playing anything else again. I remember people making fun of the Hatfields for playing with threshold cards. I remember Big Arse, Big Arse II, that Canadian tournament, my GP Philly lynx deck that 3-0ed goblins...

ETA: Oh, and the lynx deck was one match of my lifetime 3-0 GP record vs Jamie Parke, and one of at least twice I knocked him out of day 1.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Simple Jack Daniel's
    Apr 2009
    San Diego, CA

I remember both the mothership's coverage being on a site called The Sideboard and reading physical copies of The Sideboard.

I remember, those first couple FNMs, when the promo Shock was trading at like $20. I also remember being legitimately stoked to get the foil Urza's Saga basics as door prizes.

I remember thinking fifteen bucks was too much for a Bazaar of Baghdad because it didn't even tap for mana, and I remember thinking this while I sleeved up that old Rath/Urza's suicide black list to protect such wise investments as Skittering Skirge and Dauthi Horror.

I remember being surprised that a guy would want more than four copies of a card, back before I knew how play groups worked or anything about speculation.

I remember that a close friend with whom I went to the Betrayers prerelease somehow could not correctly pronounce the word "Jitte" until after it had rotated out of Standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Terramorphic Expanse combines well with Urborg, tapping all over the place for black mana and then BOOM you fetch a Plains and blow them out with Ramosian Rally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    Man, why won't the Rock just go away? It doesn't even have any friends.

Like, you know that feeling when you are walking outside and you step in dog shit?
    Thats the exact feeling i have when my opponent opens with Land, Mox diamond, Dark Confidant.

Thread Information