Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starcity is adding Modern to second half of 2014 Opens - is Legacy on SCG in danger?

Last edited by 'Nilla Pac; 04-05-2016 at 12:40 PM.

Re: Starcity is adding Modern to second half of 2014 Opens - is Legacy on SCG in dang

Woah! That's interesting, not all that surprising, but a little bit at the same time. I wonder what kind of turn out it will have. Probably a lot of the standard people that aren't showing up for the sunday event. I wish they were doing:

Saturday: Standard/Modern
    Sunday: Legacy
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: Starcity is adding Modern to second half of 2014 Opens - is Legacy on SCG in dang

Doubtful. If they stop supporting legacy, the value of their massive stock of cards goes down substantially.

If anything, this will just result in the standard players opting to play modern rather than budget jank in legacy.

I just don't like the schedule. If you top 8 standard, you don't get to play legacy (I'd love to see one of the legacy celebrities drop in T8 so they could play legacy). Modern starts early enough that you can't scrub out of legacy and go play modern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

A Brainstorm Brewery podcast pointed out that the Legacy crowd will still play Legacy and Modern will attract players who don't have the resources to play competitive decks in Legacy.

Basically its a win win for almost everyone, SCG gets a bigger turnout for Sunday, players with less resources can play real decks in Modern if they can't obtain Duals/Forces/Wastelands/LED's and Legacy players keep their Sunday tournaments.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Doubtful. If they stop supporting legacy, the value of their massive stock of cards goes down substantially.

If anything, this will just result in the standard players opting to play modern rather than budget jank in legacy.

I just don't like the schedule. If you top 8 standard, you don't get to play legacy (I'd love to see one of the legacy celebrities drop in T8 so they could play legacy). Modern starts early enough that you can't scrub out of legacy and go play modern.
    Not being able to play in the legacy open if you top 8 standard seems bad. Unfortunately due to the amount of rounds that standardrequires, it would suck to have to do it all in one day
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Shine On
    Oct 2009
    Canada

I was excited for a chance to play more Modern, especially at a higher calibre tournament, but then it looks like we'll have to choose between it and Legacy... The weekend doesn't change for people that like both the bigger formats, although I agree that its nice to give the people who aren't deep on Legacy staples something to do on the Sunday.

Is there no solution for the committed Eternal player? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Not being able to play in the legacy open if you top 8 standard seems bad. Unfortunately due to the amount of rounds that standardrequires, it would suck to have to do it all in one day
    Don't you get some number of byes or something into Legacy if you top 8 Standard? I thought that was how people won both the Standard/Legacy Opens in one weekend.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrio View Post
    Don't you get some number of byes or something into Legacy if you top 8 Standard? I thought that was how people won both the Standard/Legacy Opens in one weekend.
    Nope. I've watched a a friend win standard and go on to get a round one time extension while they sleeve their legacy deck and write out their decklist.

Gerry is the only person to have won both opens in one weekend. When he did it, they still gave out byes, which likely made that feat a lot easier.
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

The word is "Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa!"
    Sep 2007

There already is a thread discussing the new additions (the one with Premier Invitational Qualifiers in the title) and Sullivan said repeatedly when they annouced the modern events they will still be hosting and streaming legacy.
    "Attack with Order of the Ebon Hand."
    "K, block with Jotun Grunt?"
    "It has pro white."
    "Swords?"
    "It still has pro white."

Team OMRIAIGTWYFEWARTCAE Team RTD
    Twitter: @shawnldewey

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    I'm a little surprised I haven't seen a thread on this yet.

I caught something that Modern has been added to the SCG Open series and sure enough, there's Modern on the schedule. SCG promised they wouldn't replace Legacy with Modern for 2014 (which they technically aren't), but this doesn't look good to me.
    Don't be concerned. Legacy attendance continues to grow. SCG Portland had 296 players, which is more than double the turnout of the previous SCG Portland (the 2012 turnout was 128). Both times, a large portion of the room was people who came in from Seattle. We also have to take into account that card prices are much, much higher than in 2012, and yet the number of new players has dwarfed the number of players who cashed out or otherwise left, so the turnout is very strong.

SCG wants to support as many formats as possible because each one is an income stream. If they could run an EDH Open, I'm sure they would.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I'm not worried about SCG dropping Legacy in the foreseeable future. Maybe in 2025 or something, SCG will be able to support an absurd number (say, 2000) of Modern players per Open, and that will give them incentive to switch, but I doubt it. I'm actually encouraged that they're hoping to support both formats, with Legacy being the $10k format, since that means there are fewer potential competitors for the same prize pool (Legacy Open attendance figures have grown well past the break-even point for SCG) and that a $5k fallback option likely exists for Legacy (which was the level of prize support for both Legacy and Standard back in 2011) if Modern ever becomes the more supported format by SCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrio View Post
    As far as I can remember, top 8 competitors have gotten byes for Standard if they were still competing in the elimination rounds when the Legacy Open started. I have never played in a Standard Open, but several of my friends have competed and even won Standard Opens.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Don't be concerned. Legacy attendance continues to grow. SCG Portland had 296 players, which is more than double the turnout of the previous SCG Portland (the 2012 turnout was 128). Both times, a large portion of the room was people who came in from Seattle. We also have to take into account that card prices are much, much higher than in 2012, and yet the number of new players has dwarfed the number of players who cashed out or otherwise left, so the turnout is very strong.

SCG wants to support as many formats as possible because each one is an income stream. If they could run an EDH Open, I'm sure they would.
    In addition, according to Ben Bleiweiss, some of the earlier Legacy Opens had less than half of the attendance of the Standard Opens on the same weekend. At Portland, there were 296 Legacy players to 446 Standard players, which is more than 66%.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    I'm a little surprised I haven't seen a thread on this yet.
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...nal-Qualifiers

Quote Originally Posted by mishima_kazuya View Post
    A Brainstorm Brewery podcast pointed out that the Legacy crowd will still play Legacy and Modern will attract players who don't have the resources to play competitive decks in Legacy.
    Despite having a competitive legacy deck, I'm sometimes more interested in playing Modern. The "poor man's eternal format"..."argument" is just very ignorant and short-sighted.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I know at SCG Columbus, the two finalists from the Standard Open got r1 Byes to the Legacy Open due to not finishing in time. I think the rest of the t8 had time to register so I don't recall them getting any byes.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Despite having a competitive legacy deck, I'm sometimes more interested in playing Modern. The "poor man's eternal format"..."argument" is just very ignorant and short-sighted.
    Yeah it's really two different things, and I definitely know a couple people around here that prefer Modern to Legacy, and I think by having both on the same day, we will see a slight drop in Legacy attendance for exactly that reason. You'll probably also see less of the people that just want to play more Magic so they borrow a deck or keep something cheap/easy like Belcher/Burn/Dredge/Affinity put together for just big events. I wouldn't be surprised, nor would I blame them for switching to Modern on Sundays because the entry fee is cheaper and it gives them something different to play.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Mar 2012
    Chicago

Modern vs. Legacy isn't Dark Lord vs. Natural Light, it's more like an IPA vs. a sour. Both formats are diverse, interesting, and skill-intensive, it's just that sometimes I'm in the mood to sling Tendrils, and sometimes I'm in the mood to cast Scapeshift. There's no reason to pretend like Legacy is perfect and Modern is its ugly, stupid cousin when they are wildly different types of enjoyable, competitive Magic.
    Last edited by Jander78; 07-01-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Removed Spam.
    Legacy: ANT
    Modern: Scapewish
    Standard: Devotion

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by gregtron View Post
    Modern vs. Legacy isn't Dark Lord vs. Natural Light, it's more like an IPA vs. a sour
    So what you're saying is neither is as good as the stout that is Vintage?

:P

Mar 2012
    Chicago

So what you're saying is neither is as good as the stout that is Vintage?

:P
    Ha! That metaphor is still probably accurate, since I don't usually like stouts or Vintage. :D
    Legacy: ANT
    Modern: Scapewish
    Standard: Devotion

Nope. I've watched a a friend win standard and go on to get a round one time extension while they sleeve their legacy deck and write out their decklist.

Gerry is the only person to have won both opens in one weekend. When he did it, they still gave out byes, which likely made that feat a lot easier.
    Your first point is incorrect.

Look at round one pairings for the Legacy Open in Providence, which you can find at this link: http://www.starcitygames.com/events/...rovidence.html. Both Standard Open finalists received a bye.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

SCG tried out many different permutations of Sunday two seasons ago - I think it was two. Sunday Modern, double Standard, and some weekends remained Legacy. That was enough to teach them that Legacy was the best draw for them, I suppose. Because before the season was over, they came out saying that they were going to have Legacy on Sunday at every stop from then onward. That was about the best thing that could have happened to the format.

With a nod to the fact that SCG is essentially the single biggest floatation device keeping Legacy floating, the fact is that it is a well-run company, full of smart business minds who are looking for ways to make even more money. Legacy has been put to the test and found to make them the most money on Sundays. This is just them trying to add a hat and cane. They still have to wear their fancy suit and shiny shoes.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information