Thread: Fauna Shaman

Fauna Shaman

I have a short question:

If I'm playing Progenitus and get Painter-Grindstoned then Progenitus will be my last card in the library. Now assume I have a Fauna Shaman active:
    I draw Progenitus, use the ability of Fauna Shaman -> discard Progenitus -> he will shuffe back IMMEDIATELY (as I think, because it's a replacement effect) -> I have to go on with FS ability and search for a creature card
    ->
    and there is my question: As Fauna Shaman is a MUST (not a may) ability I have to find a creature card, but of course may not have any legal target left. But obviously I have...
    Is it legal in such a situation to say "oh no, I have no creatures left in my library!"

In order to not lose against the combo you could do that every turn (theoretically).

Thanks!=)

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: [SCD] Fauna Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by Stuhl View Post
    I have a short question:

If I'm playing Progenitus and get Painter-Grindstoned then Progenitus will be my last card in the library. Now assume I have a Fauna Shaman active:
    I draw Progenitus, use the ability of Fauna Shaman -> discard Progenitus -> he will shuffe back IMMEDIATELY (as I think, because it's a replacement effect) -> I have to go on with FS ability and search for a creature card
    ->
    and there is my question: As Fauna Shaman is a MUST (not a may) ability I have to find a creature card, but of course may not have any legal target left. But obviously I have...
    Is it legal in such a situation to say "oh no, I have no creatures left in my library!"

In order to not lose against the combo you could do that every turn (theoretically).

Thanks!=)
    You must search, but you can still not find anything!!
    Last edited by Jander78; 07-10-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Removed backseat modding.

No, you don't have to put Prog in your hand. You can always fail to find something when searching a hidden zone.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Also you end up having to exile the Progenitus anyway. You have to make a choice to stop the loop for Grindstone ability vs. Progenitus replacement effect at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: Fauna Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by Stuhl View Post
    Is it legal in such a situation to say "oh no, I have no creatures left in my library!
    It's perfectly fine to find nothing when searching a hidden zone for a card with specific qualities.

Just make sure to shuffle your library sufficiently afterwards....

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    No, you don't have to put Prog in your hand. You can always fail to find something when searching a hidden zone.
    That's not entirely true. Whenever you are searching e.g. your library for just "a card", you have to find something. Demonic Tutor for example, can't find nothing unless your library is empty, (in which case you have bigger things to worry about anyways.)
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Sep 2009
    Michigan, US

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    The card has to have a specific quality. You can fail to find with Fauna Shaman, Mystical Tutor, Flooded Strand, etc., but you can't fail to find with Demonic Tutor.

Re: Fauna Shaman

There was a time (probably 15 or more years ago) where you could not opt to fail a search, and had to call a judge to verify if you did fail. This took up a lot of match time and judge time, so the rule was changed basically so that you could choose to fail if the failure would've otherwise required verification. If a zone isn't hidden, through being public or revealed, you can't fail to find. If there's no requirements on the search, you can't fail to find.

There is the funny case of all the cards in a zone being revealed but not the zone itself, where you can still fail to find. In the OP example if an effect was revealing the top card of your library, you could still fail to find because the zone itself is not revealed even though all of the cards in it are.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information