Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the Best T1 Card in Legacy?

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

What is the Best T1 Card in Legacy?

What is the card you always want to see in your opening hand? Let's assume you are on the play.

I ask this question because, as a Goblins player, I always want to see a Vial or Lackey in my starting 7. Now those cards are great T1 plays if you're playing Goblins, but they'd be pretty worthless in a lot of other decks (obviously). Thinking about this made me wonder what the best starting play across the format is. Which card(s) are the best at opening the game in the Legacy format?

My initial thoughts:

1. Delver of Secrets - You open the game with a clock and potential Daze backup.
    2. Deathrite Shaman - You get a mana elf with a big ass that you can play off of Underground Sea
    3. Thoughtseize - You get to see your opponent's game plan, then fuck with it.
    4. Gitaxian Probe - You get to see your opponent's game, then either combo off on them or blast them with Cabal Therapy.

What else should be on that list, and why?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Re: What is the Best T1 Card in Legacy?

Chalice of the Void - shuts down a lot of strategies.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

T1 Probe just to see your opponents hand is a noob move, just saying.

The best 5 (unranked) cards in your starting grip to work yourself into the match:

- SDT
    - Delver of Secrets
    - Ponder
    - Aether Vial
    - DRS
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Are we just talking about cards that can be on Turn One by themselves or is it okay if we include stuff that's really powerful when accelerated out? If that's okay I pick Chalice of the Void on one and Blood Moon as particularly powerful plays when played on Turn One. Either one can really screw up your opponent's plans for they don't have Force of Will or some way to deal with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer_90 View Post
    Are we just talking about cards that can be on Turn One by themselves or is it okay if we include stuff that's really powerful when accelerated out? If that's okay I pick Chalice of the Void on one and Blood Moon as particularly powerful plays when played on Turn One. Either one can really screw up your opponent's plans for they don't have Force of Will or some way to deal with them.
    I guess he asks for single cards and not "this card is good if I have xyz too"
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    T1 Probe just to see your opponents hand is a noob move, just saying.

The best 5 (unranked) cards in your starting grip to work yourself into the match:

- SDT
    - Delver of Secrets
    - Ponder
    - Aether Vial
    - DRS
    I agree with Aether Vial and SDT. Both add a ton of utility as the game progresses.

Ponder seems like a fine T1 play for a control deck, but you could argue that it would just be better to have the card Ponder cantrips into. You would rather cast Nimble Mongoose with Daze in hand than cast Ponder into Daze. Or if you're a combo deck you'd rather just go off instead of stacking your deck to go off next turn.

I thought of a new one that's super lame but legit: Lotus Petal. It's the basis of every Storm deck and has also found a home in Show and Tell and Reanimator and janky combo the world over.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Delver
    DRS
    Duress- pretty high chance of rain
    SnT
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Mox Diamond. So I can get that turn 1 loam going
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer_90 View Post
    T1 Chalice @ 1 (or Blood Moon) requires the deck to be designed around that card (like Goblin Lackey does). It's a pretty limiting option from a deck design perspective. So I don't think you can call it a Best T1 play any more so than you can call Lackey or Llanowar Elf or Mother of Ruins the best. It doesn't fit into enough decks or strategies. If I'm calling a card a best T1 play it had better be a good T1 play in a bunch of different decks.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    It doesn't fit into enough decks or strategies. If I'm calling a card a best T1 play it had better be a good T1 play in a bunch of different decks.
    Like Sensei's Divining Top is?

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Delver and Deathrite are both scary to have played against you on T1, especially if you are on the draw. Unlike Lackey or Vial, they can win the game without additional cards if it comes down to it.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Like Sensei's Divining Top is?
    Well, SDT is a huge play for Miracles which happens to be the winningest deck in the format. I've also heard it goes well with a card called Counterbalance. Throw in all the fringe decks and it's clear Top is a strong T1 card across a wide range of deck-types, which I think qualifies it for this list.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    Well, SDT is a huge play for Miracles which happens to be the winningest deck in the format. I've also heard it goes well with a card called Counterbalance. Throw in all the fringe decks and it's clear Top is a strong T1 card across a wide range of deck-types, which I think qualifies it for this list.
    Sensei's Divining Top is a powerhouse in Miracles, and Miracles is indeed one of the most played decks right now. Nothing incorrect there. What I am disputing is that Chalice of the Void and Blood Moon are apparently seen in a significantly lesser variety. Which is wrong. They may not be in the most popular of decks, but they do serve as the bread and butter of a great variety.

In other news, where is Aether Vial on this list and where is Wasteland?

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

There is actually a good article outlining this.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...eat-Value.html

The value of your first turn plays go beyond just what they do, it's what they signal your intentions to be. I thought it a quality read.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Force of will.. not even close.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Entomb
    Dark Ritual
    Gitaxian Probe
    Lion's Eye Diamond

If we're going for T1 ridiculousness, at least make it win.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Deathrite Shaman, Brainstorm and Wasteland. Only valid answers.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Deathrite Shaman, Brainstorm and Wasteland. Only valid answers.
    I don't think many decks want to lead with Wasteland T1 on the play. The only time I want to lead with Wasteland is when I'm casting Vial and I don't want to give away which deck I'm on. And T1 Brainstorm doesn't maximize the card's potential like having a fetchland does. So I don't think either of those are ideal T1 cards. DRS is though.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Tendrils of Agony. /thread.

Ok in a seriousness, it's dependent on your deck choice. I would think though, Bloodmoon, Chalice, Vial, Delver, DRS, Thoughtseize, Quirion Ranger and leaving mana open for Stifle and Brainstorm to me are the best options. I think, in a given situation, any one of these will be a great opening for a deck. The best openings for their respective decks.

Then you have Lotus Petal. Yea.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Koby kind of beat me to it but I was going to say: Lotus Petal, Entomb, Reanimate or sol land into Lotus Petal, Show & Tell. Cheating in broken creatures is my jam.

Thread Information