Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the Best T1 Card in Legacy?

Apr 2014
    Lake Jackson, TX

Re: What is the Best T1 Card in Legacy?

T1 Island has to be the best.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    I don't think many decks want to lead with Wasteland T1 on the play. The only time I want to lead with Wasteland is when I'm casting Vial and I don't want to give away which deck I'm on. And T1 Brainstorm doesn't maximize the card's potential like having a fetchland does. So I don't think either of those are ideal T1 cards. DRS is though.
    Fair. I completly misunderstood what this thread was aiming for.

T1 = Vintage, to me. lol.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    I don't think many decks want to lead with Wasteland T1 on the play. The only time I want to lead with Wasteland is when I'm casting Vial and I don't want to give away which deck I'm on. And T1 Brainstorm doesn't maximize the card's potential like having a fetchland does. So I don't think either of those are ideal T1 cards. DRS is though.
    Depending on my hand, I'm generally fine with Wasteland T1. If my opponent goes dual, pass, and I dont have a 1 drop but enough lands, I'll be fine with Wasteland on his dual. Or a tap land. If they go like, Creeping Tar Pit, go (Possible Shardless BUG opener) I'm wasting the shit out of it. I agree with the BS thing though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Fair. I completly misunderstood what this thread was aiming for.

T1 = Vintage, to me. lol.
    That's what I thought at first as well lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

It seems pretty clear to me that the 5 best cards to play on turn 1 in Legacy are Deathrite Shaman, Aether Vial, Sensei's Divining Top, Delver of Secrets, and Thoughtseize. These cards carry more weight on their own than basically any other turn 1 plays in the format in my opinion and not very much else comes close. Cards like Chalice of the Void, Veteran Explorer, Dark Ritual, Entomb, Mother of Runes, and basically any cantrip are all strong in certain contexts, but there are basically no situations in the respective decks that these top 5 cards slot into that don't lend themselves to being very far ahead if you resolve these 1-drops.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Best 5 plays

Turn 1: Island- Delver Go
    Turn 1: Swamp- Dark Ritual
    Turn 1: DRS
    Turn 1: Chalice
    Turn 1: Top
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

I think the question for the topic headline should be rephrased to a given archetype/color, because T1 there are tons of relevant plays...

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I have a question about the value of a turn 1 Top. Why is it good?

Put another way, turn 1 is the pinnacle of the game state dominated by lack of mana and board presence, but large hand size. I will call this a "tall and thin" state. As the game progresses, your hand typically gets smaller while your resource base of mana and board presence expand, giving you access to more options unless you run out of cards in hand. That is, your state is getting shorter and fatter. A good aggressive or control deck can convert its narrow start into a wider status as quickly as possible. Top seems to be actively working against that by improving the height of your hand quickly at a time in which you do not particularly need it at the expense of width. It lets you see more cards that you can't use.

It's a great card. I just question it's value on turn 1. I definitely prefer Ponder or even Brainstorm to do the job Top is doing on turn 1.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Turn1 Top is definitely not a very strong play. It's pretty much the epitome of a weak play (in the context of the vacuum we are rating these plays in.)
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Thread Information