View Poll Results: Would you support gold-bordered cards in Eternal formats?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

59 53.15%
  • No

52 46.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you support 'legalizing' CE and World Championships cards?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Would you support 'legalizing' CE and World Championships cards?

I wonder if WotC would even consider it - they're not reprinting any new cards and technically they are 'real' MtG cards. I also doubt they'd affect the value of ABU staples, just increase the price of the gold bordered cards.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Re: Would you support 'legalizing' CE and World Championships cards?

Yes, but not before I complete my CE/IE sets.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Yes. They already have cards that don't have magic backs legalized, and with opaque sleeves they are perfectly fine to be played in your deck. Don't see why legalizing GB cards would change anything other than increase the amount of legally playable cards without having to resort to a reprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor

May 2013
    Atlanta

Anything which would allow more people to play is a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    But winning out of nowhere takes away the fun of grinding out your opponents with Manlands. Nothing is more satisfying than a game of Magic where you throw away half the fun, and claim the other half for yourself and leave your opponent with zero fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Haven't you heard? The default color for cards being designed is blue. They have to remember to change the color when finishing the card.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Yes. They already have cards that don't have magic backs legalized, and with opaque sleeves they are perfectly fine to be played in your deck.
    Is this referring to the "transform" cards?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Is this referring to the "transform" cards?
    Yes.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Yes.
    Okay.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Seems fine by me*

* I have a CE set.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Yes. Now I wish someone who had voted 'No' would say why. I imagine it's just to protect their investment value, but as someone who owns partial power (two moxes, ancestral) and twenty-and-change duals, I respectfully disagree.

Big problem is that it's just a stop-gap. The only real solution is to ditch the Reserved List entirely.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

I voted no and I'll tell you why; legalizing this cards just band aids the problems while barely fixing the issue. What I do support, as someone heavily invested in reserved list cards (Power, duals, etc), is smart reprintings of staples, IE a dual in a commander set, etc. Sure, it lowers the value if many of those cards, but it fixes the problem in a sensible way.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I understand where you guys are coming from, but what is the issue with allowing CE cards? Sure it is a "stop gap" as you say, but it is better than nothing.

Oct 2011
    Columbus, OH

I understand where you guys are coming from, but what is the issue with allowing CE cards? Sure it is a "stop gap" as you say, but it is better than nothing.
    I was thinking the same thing. I have no problem with them legalizing cards that are already printed. The reserve list is not going away...we might as well deal with it.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    Yes. Now I wish someone who had voted 'No' would say why. I imagine it's just to protect their investment value, but as someone who owns partial power (two moxes, ancestral) and twenty-and-change duals, I respectfully disagree.
    The problem are the CE cards corners. You can tell Alphas apart from all other editions within their sleeves. The Problem with CE is even worse and any for of cuttin the edges yourself is marking the cards.

The CE issue therefore has absolutely nothing to do with protecting value but with tournament play
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Oct 2011
    Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    The problem are the CE cards corners. You can tell Alphas apart from all other editions within their sleeves. The Problem with CE is even worse and any for of cuttin the edges yourself is marking the cards.

The CE issue therefore has absolutely nothing to do with protecting value but with tournament play
    You can look at the back of an opaque sleeve and tell the card is Alpha? Is that what you are saying?

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

As I see it, the issue is that legalizing CE/IE, atleast in the case of Duals, just causes the price of CE/IE to dramatically increase without reducing the price of the original printings. There were only 15,000 CE/IE sets printed, so you only inject 15,000 U-Seas, etc into the market. Compare that to the approximately 300,000 copies of Revised Underground Sea; it just doesn't make a tangible difference. I suppose it could make a difference in terms of the price of Power, but I'd be inclined to think that rather than allowing a bunch of new players to play Vintage that it would just bump CE Black Lotus from $300 to $1000, and people would just be priced out again.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by thegrinningdemon View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I have no problem with them legalizing cards that are already printed. The reserve list is not going away...we might as well deal with it.
    I was thinking the same thing. I have no problem with them abolishing the reserve list. The CE/IE cards are never getting legalized...we might as well deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

The square corners ruin it. Oh and it wouldn't help much at all; they announce this and EVERY CE/IE dual land would disappear overnight, that I can promise you. The fronts of IE/CE look just like alpha/beta/cards that cost an arm and a leg to obtain and had similar print runs to alpha and beta/quite limited/people would shell out quite a bit for CE/IE dual lands as well as power 9 and other staples from beta like d. tutor, fastbond, etc. etc.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I do not honestly feel like this would make any tangible benefit to overall cost. All it would do is shoot up the price of the cards that the EDH crew can afford. For this reason, I would rather things stay as they are. That or just remove that blasted list.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by thegrinningdemon View Post
    You can look at the back of an opaque sleeve and tell the card is Alpha? Is that what you are saying?
    I can tell while shuffling. CE corners are even easier to tell as you might imagine.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Thread Information